Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Again, on the moderator...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 324

Again, on the moderator...

Oct 23, 2020, 7:38 AM

I hope we see a lot more of Kristen Welker. I've seen a few complaints about her interrupting Trump more than Biden, but that didn't bother me in the least. I thought she treated both candidates equally. Her questions were worded extremely well without emotionally-charged language. They were tough for each candidate and she TRIED to keep pushing them toward specifics. She stayed professional and never seemed to get flustered (I know the mute option and the demeanor if Trump probably helped).

But the main reason she was so strong was she kept any bias she may have hidden. She talked to and looked at each candidate the same. I completely understand people's disdain for Trump, but if Welker does feel that, it wasn't written all over her face and body language like it was with Savannah Guthrie.

In comparison with Chris Wallace, you can tell he tries, but he doesn't seem to care for either of these two candidates. If you watch him regularly, his dislike for Trump is pretty obvious. I know he is a highly respected journalist by many, but he just always comes across as trying too hard.

I just want to say I have a "news crush" on Welker. This is what we have been sorely missing in MSM for years.

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-joe-biden-donald-trump-kristen-welker-campaigns-163a77d1f4e5a71d4920b66584bddf7f?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

https://www.theblaze.com/news/nbcs-kristen-welker-wins-high-praise-from-the-left-and-right-in-moderating-of-final-debate

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Again, on the moderator...

Oct 23, 2020, 7:43 AM

Like most Americans she can't stand Trump. She was just being a professional. There is an obvious reason why Chris Wallace does not like Trump. Trump is an absolute piece of s***.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2020, 7:51 AM

I guess the issue here is we are all humans and we all have our biases - that is natural. I think both candidates are deeply flawed. But our country NEEDS journalists and judges that can be objective. If we do not have that, our freedom will be in jeopardy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well stated.....***

Oct 23, 2020, 7:56 AM

Oct 23, 2020, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Again, on the moderator... ]

The last two moderators did a great job. You just want Trump to get a free pass don't like seeing your guy get called out.

okay***

Oct 23, 2020, 8:05 AM

I'm not going to argue with you when you are able...

Oct 23, 2020, 8:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Again, on the moderator... ]

to tell me what I'm thinking.

Do you think Welker gave Trump a free pass last night?

Re: I'm not going to argue with you when you are able...

Oct 23, 2020, 8:24 AM

I think you and I both know I was accurate with what you were thinking . As far as Welker, Trump made her job easier. He carried himself better last night.

She’s not bad looking***

Oct 23, 2020, 8:03 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

even more attractive...

Oct 23, 2020, 8:06 AM

because she is smart

Maybe, I also think that the candidates...

Oct 23, 2020, 8:11 AM

(especially Trump as he was the primary violater in the 1st debate) followed the rules much better. That made the debate easier to moderate, and to watch. I thought she allowed them too many follow up comments rather than moving on, which was really just an attempt to get the last word rather than say anything substantive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with that...

Oct 23, 2020, 8:17 AM

Trump's change helped and I thought the same about trying to get the last word on follow ups. That is really hard to stop but I thought handled about as well as possible.

As a conservative who complains about bias though, the fact that I couldn't tell which candidate the moderator favored is a huge praise. I don't think a left-leaning observer can claim Welker favored Trump last night either.

Re: I agree with that...

Oct 23, 2020, 8:33 AM

Agree. This is what journalists really need to strive for.

Frankly, since the equal-time laws withered and went away, the "mainstream" - I still hate that word, it's the actual media - press had begun leaning a bit too far to the left anyhow, which gave the whole "Fox News Bubble" room to grow - when people feel they're being preached to or their views denigrated, they'll tune into something that confirms their biases preferentially. Then the media - especially cable networks like CNN and MSNBC - really lost whatever remaining objectivity they might have had when Trump declared the media "the enemies of the people" and started his direct attack on the Fourth Estate.

They did not react well.

Basically, they took Trump personally, got emotional, felt threatened, and lost the very objectivity that allows them to do their jobs effectively. The likes of CNN and MSNBC in particular became outright partisans...mind, they still aren't actual misinformers like Fox has become, but partisans simply cannot display the kind of poise and objectivity that will bring those under Fox's sway back to rationality either.

Hopefully the best media outlets and personalities have begun to learn from their mistakes. They let Trump get to them and really did not handle it well. At all. Maintaining your poise and objectivity is difficult when you're under attack, but when you're under attack it's all the more important to do so and by and large they did not.

I do think there's going to be an inquest about how the media failed its public, and what has to be done going forward to drag it much closer back to center.

The flip side is possibly that they behaved better because

Oct 23, 2020, 8:38 AM [ in reply to I agree with that... ]

she was allowing them to keep responding. But overall it seemed like when each of them asked for additional time to respond they didn't say anything if value and just repeated what they'd already said. So as a viewer it was annoying that they didn't move on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i googled pics of her. Cute but a mixed bag

Oct 23, 2020, 8:33 AM

looks much better now imo.

She was about as fair as a pub will get, especially from a lib.
Kudos to her.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A mixed bag lol.

Oct 23, 2020, 9:45 AM

Welker's father is white and her mother is black.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not what i meant but cool?

Oct 23, 2020, 10:05 AM

i was referring to her looks not her nationality.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

she did a great job, IMO

Oct 23, 2020, 9:23 AM

the opposite of so many we've seen in recent years. Remember Candy Crowley's horrible and biased job moderator a few years ago?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 324
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic