Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mind blown in the Probate Court
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 530

Mind blown in the Probate Court

Dec 6, 2018, 5:58 PM

So walk into the (blank) County Probate Court this afternoon. Was a couple in front of me and some other guy, so I took a seat and waited. Couple was up at the desk. Clerk's filling out their marriage license. I could not help but noticing the guy was as drunk as a skunk. Guy could barely talk. "Wife" was just all giggly. He was so sloshed I'm not even sure he will remember getting married in the morning. Anyway, clerk fills everything out and as she's doing that she asks the drunk guy "Have you ever been married before, or is this your first marriage?" Guy looks at her and gets all mad because she's accusing him of being married before. She says she has to ask. He says it's his first time. "Wife" chimes in the same. Clerk gives them the documents. Tells them they have to wait 24 hours, return the docs after 24 hours and they are married. I'm rolling my eyes and the other 3 people waiting see it.

When they left it was my turn. I asked her what if the guy before me was lying? What if he had been married before. Or what if he said this was his second marriage. What if the first marriage never ended with a death certificate or divorce decree? She said they don't ask that. I then proposed to her that what if they get married with the license you'll grant them tomorrow, have 2 children and the guy dies in a work-related accident. Half of that 100-400K in benefits would go to his wife, and the other half would be split between the children per the statutes. Then I asked her, "But what if he lied, was married before, and never was divorced, and his first wife is alive?" She looked at me weird. I then informed her his two children would still get their half, but the first wife would technically be entitled to the other half. I then informed her that in that situation, everyone has to lawyer up. Wife 1 gets a lawyer because she's still his legal "wife". Wife #2 gets a lawyer to do the tough work. Wife #2's abagado has the job of 1) Proving the prior marriage ended through a period of continuous separation for more than a year with no contact or financial support PRIOR to marrying wife #2 (if he's lucky). THEN he has the job of proving wife #2 is a common law spouse. It's a freaking mess.

I told the SC clerk in Georgia and Virginia, you have to prove all prior marriages ended by providing a death certificate and/or divorce decree showing all prior marriages legally ended, AND they check for prior marriages statewide as well. But here in SC we just take the dunk guy's word for it, and I'm the guy who illuminates the mess if something bad happens years down the road. She then told me a lot of people come to SC from GA to get married because they can't get married in GA because they don't have the documents. I told her that many times it's because the documents DO NOT EXIST in the first place.

Based on percentages, I'd say a concurrent marriage situation happens in maybe 2% of cases I handle. That's not a whole lot, until you think about how many couples in SC 2% represents. 1,000 or more perhaps. Would you be happy knowing you have a 1/50 chance your divorce wasn't valid? Heck, I've seen divorces for marriages that were not even valid marriages in the first place. Yep, guy marries a second wife, never divorces first wife, and then is granted a divorce with the second wife he's technically not even married to to begin with.

Anyway, clerk just kinda looked at me like I'd invented fire or something. Like she saw her job flash before her eyes. This is something our state legislature REALLY needs to fix. I have one other big pet peeve that's a whole other TLDNR post. It ends up being a legal mess, with a lot of money at stake. Then the lawyers have a choice to take their case to the SCWCC or go through the county probate court to get all the mess adjudicated. Usually they pick the Probate Court. And you would think Probate Court judges would get tired of handling these problems. Maybe they just hate me since I'm the only guy around who pokes and prods enough. Heck, I know that until 10-12 years ago I never bothered. Then a case came up and since then I've always done my best to find the problem if there is one, or rule it out with the necessary documents. And once I started making that a standard thing, I'm amazed how frequently it happens. Social Security misses it. Probate Court estates/wills miss it. Family Court misses it. Veterans benefits misses it. Police memorial funds miss it. I don't.

I don't really consider this polygamy, more like laziness/irresponsibility. It's not like the two wives live together wit the husband. That never happens. Most of the time the circumstances validate a divorce and a following common law marriage, but you have to prove that in court and get an order first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Readers Digest version poor favor?***

Dec 6, 2018, 6:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Something, something drunk gets married.

Dec 6, 2018, 6:14 PM

Tig interrogates the clerk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

some drunk guy's gonna get laid***

Dec 6, 2018, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Readers Digest version poor favor?*** ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe tonight.

Dec 6, 2018, 6:43 PM

But tomorrow he gets married.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tig should follow up and see if the wedding goes thru***

Dec 6, 2018, 7:05 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As he left he said she's dragged him in there three times

Dec 6, 2018, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Maybe tonight. ]

and he's balked every time. The 24 hour rule is a good idea fwiw.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So are you a family attorney? Arbitrator?

Dec 6, 2018, 6:27 PM

I thought you had a background in IT? Interesting career path.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IT is a hobby. Not an attorney. Investigator of sorts.

Dec 6, 2018, 8:08 PM

Not the private kind either. Something else.

Do my wife a favor.

Dec 6, 2018, 8:14 PM

When they find my dead body, make sure she gets the maximum amount allowed by policy.

All depends on how much $$$ you make

Dec 6, 2018, 9:32 PM

If your gross average weekly pay is over & 1257.25 for the 52 week period prior to your fatal injury then you're capped at the max comp rate. Assuming she is your only dependent she clears $419,105.00. Federal and state tax free. She should keep in mind this is 500 weeks of checks by default. If she wants a lump sum payment there will be a commuted value penalty. If you make less she gets less.

That’s why I asked for a favor.

Dec 6, 2018, 9:39 PM

I wouldn’t mind dying. But I can’t really afford to.

It’s a minor issue and I’m still working out the details.

No one gets more than that for death benefits

Dec 6, 2018, 10:14 PM

Now.... If you Live, but spend a month in ICU in a burn center then another 8 months in the hospital and have 30 surgeries and end up like Superman and a quadraplegic That's called a catastrophic claim. They can go north of $10 million in medical costs alone over years.

That's when the insurance company brings in their reinsurer.

Willing to bet those people behind you in line

Dec 6, 2018, 6:42 PM

rolled their eyes harder at you than you did at drunk dude. While of course it is a problem, perhaps not the best venue to launch into a diatribe. Kinda like discussing traffic engineering with a clerk at the DMV.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't that help job security?

Dec 6, 2018, 6:48 PM

It's like the dentist handing out lollipops after a visit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True story...my dentist hands out

Dec 6, 2018, 7:10 PM

chocolate chip and sugar cookies after every visit.

Weirdest #### I've ever seen. But I always take 2 or 3.

Smart of him

Dec 6, 2018, 7:36 PM

building an annuity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, and the lawyers in the statehouse are not going to

Dec 6, 2018, 8:09 PM

pass a law to make less work for lawyers.

She wasn’t looking at you like you invented fire.

Dec 6, 2018, 7:12 PM

She was looking at you like, “Why the heck is this guy wasting everybody’s time behind him asking ridiculous questions that I can’t answer because that’s well above my pay grade? And I swear to God if he tells me one more useless fact about marriage and divorce I’m going to shut this line down and let the others waiting behind him take their full fury from frustration out on his nonsense questioning assss.”

That’s what that look was.

ed zackery***

Dec 6, 2018, 7:16 PM

Re: She wasn’t looking at you like you invented fire.

Dec 6, 2018, 7:18 PM [ in reply to She wasn’t looking at you like you invented fire. ]

Took the drunk guy longer to answer her one question.***

Dec 6, 2018, 7:56 PM [ in reply to She wasn’t looking at you like you invented fire. ]

Was this guy under 28 years old ?

Dec 6, 2018, 10:01 PM

If so, being drunk is the only reason to marry at that age

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least 38.

Dec 6, 2018, 10:17 PM

And if I ever get that drunk I won't remember a thing.

Replies: 23
| visibility 530
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic