Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Recruiting Update: Washington DT: "best college visit I've ever been on"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Football Recruiting Update: Washington DT: "best college visit I've ever been on"

Feb 1, 2016, 9:50 AM

Washington DT: "best college visit I've ever been on"

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't wanna sound mean...

Feb 1, 2016, 10:08 AM

But isn't 5'10" too short for a DL player? I hope he grows 5-6 more inches, but otherwise Dabo can't offer him. Maybe a preferred walk on?

Snowflake Basher........Out

I say sign him uP just from his love for Clemson...

Feb 1, 2016, 10:12 AM

And if he doesn't make it, then put him over our PR Program! GeeZ!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't wanna sound mean...

Feb 1, 2016, 10:12 AM [ in reply to I don't wanna sound mean... ]

I thought the same thing but being a 10th grader he could easily grow 3-4 more inches and be fine for a defensive tackle. Grady Jarrett was only 6'1" if I remember correctly.

Feb 1, 2016, 10:16 AM

You're right. All I know is, with these 6'5" monsters we've been recruiting lately, I sure as heck wouldn't want to be at DT at 5'10". Those days are about over anymore. Players are just monstrous these days.

Feb 1, 2016, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't wanna sound mean... ]

If you really do some research on it, the large majority of high schoolers have reached their adult height by the 11th grade. So it is not likely that he grows much more.

I am 6'6" and my best friend is 6'5...we were both 5'11" in

Feb 2, 2016, 8:50 AM

10th grade. That may not be the most common, but certainly not rare. My brother was about 5'9" as a senior and ended up 6'3". Larry Nance wasn't even a D-1 basketball prospect in high school because he was about 6'5", went to jr college for a year and was 6'10" by the time he got to Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2016, 12:33 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't wanna sound mean... ]

Exactly! First player came to mind while reading about this kid. Run stopper, leverage player, and any quickness about him, he will create confusion in the backfield. Just like G. Jarrett did. These types of players are very durable throughout the football season. A mini tank in the trenches.

Feb 1, 2016, 10:14 AM [ in reply to I don't wanna sound mean... ]

Umm Grady Jarrett was only 6 flat...he seemed to workout fine for us

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Feb 1, 2016, 11:48 AM

Brandon Thompson and Deshawn Williams weren't much over 6 feet either.

They were over 6'.

Feb 1, 2016, 2:28 PM

6'2" and 6'1", respectively.

5'10 is almost 6'2

Feb 1, 2016, 2:31 PM

you really can not eat pancakes off of someones head unless they are 6 inches taller

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 5'10 is almost 6'2

Feb 1, 2016, 2:40 PM

True, they are close. But look at it as a percentage. 5'10" is 5% shorter than 6'2". Converting that to weight would be over 15lbs for a 300lb player. So would you want a 300lb DT or a 285lb DT?

Grady is measured at 6'1"

Feb 1, 2016, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't wanna sound mean... ]

This kid is reported at 5'10", which means he could actually be 5'9". That is at least a 3" difference, which is huge just based on the amount of weight someone can healthily put on.

dude you have to look beyond size

Feb 1, 2016, 10:20 AM [ in reply to I don't wanna sound mean... ]

did you dee his hair?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: dude you have to look beyond size

Feb 1, 2016, 2:46 PM

True. If we are measuring to the top of his doo, then he would be taller.

Feb 1, 2016, 10:26 AM [ in reply to I don't wanna sound mean... ]

I think the same thing about a 5'9" cornerback that was offered. 5'9" against tall receivers with speed gets beat every time. So what if he makes the tackle after the catch is made? It's better to stop the catch from happening. It's hard to do when you're 5'9", IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for agreeing.

Feb 1, 2016, 2:42 PM

I like this kid, but he just won't be able to contribute on Saturdays at Clemson unless he grows.

The difference with a 5'9" corner, like Jamyest, is they can cover the fast, slot receivers like Tay and Ray Ray much better than the bigger corners. So you've gotta have both size corners in your lineup. But with DTs... Bigger is almost always better. Why do you think all of our DTs this coming year are 6'3"+?

Re: Thanks for agreeing.

Feb 1, 2016, 7:44 PM

I got TD's from the majority. I don't mind, because I am right on this. There are lots of 6'+ guys out there with good speed who will be more effective. Now, if we are recruiting him to return KO's or Punts, that's great, but as good as it sounds ("dynamite comes in small packages"), little hardly ever beats big in reality.

Grady was only 6'1"***

Feb 1, 2016, 11:13 AM [ in reply to I don't wanna sound mean... ]

Feb 1, 2016, 11:47 AM [ in reply to I don't wanna sound mean... ]

Wait, let me get this straight... a kid comes to Clemson and sings the praises of how great this school is and the first thing you do is tell him he's too small? If the Clemson coaching staff likes him I trust them... heck they only took the program to the Natty .... this kid was awesome... he's a sophomore in a major high school, starting and making plays ... and did I mention he loves Clemson ...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2016, 8:05 PM

A 5'9" young man will beat a guy who is 6'4" with the same skills, hardly ever. Little never beats big, except in the movies. All you guys who want to TD the post, feel free to get all PO'd. The philosophy won't win a fight. It is a very rare thing, often caused by extenuating circumstances outside the circumstances on the field, that lets the small guy win the battles. If you doubt this, just think of a great 5' 8" player with a huge heart and all the "want to" in the world" we had when TB was coach at Clemson who got beat in almost every matchup against bigger players with similar ability. TB was a similar player with a big heart and limited skills who tried to implement a philosophy into our program that size didn't matter. We got whipped early and often those days. It sounds so good, but it hardly ever works that way in reality. Usually, big and talented beats small and less talented, every time.

Feb 1, 2016, 8:09 PM

Dude I got TDs on this one too and I don't even know why lol. If anything, I was commenting on how big our new lineman are and how I'd never want to go against a 6'5" monster. Some people have no chill! :)

Feb 2, 2016, 8:29 AM

There are some "Napoleonic Complex" sufferers on this board.

Keith Adams says, "Hello"!***

Feb 2, 2016, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't wanna sound mean... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where there's a will there's a way...

Feb 1, 2016, 11:06 PM [ in reply to I don't wanna sound mean... ]

Where there's a will there's a way...
side note...I grew 3/4" my sophmore year at Clemson.
I've even heard growth till 26 years old.
SO, you never know.

With good skills, knowledge, athletiscism and instinct,
a good coach could find a way to work him in to the rotation.
Who knows, LB, FB, etc...
GO TIGERS!!!
:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's only 16 years old .. right? He'll grow ...

Feb 1, 2016, 10:22 AM

He may never be 6'5", but it's not unreasonable to believe he'd be over 6 feet by the time he finishes HS.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

groce***

Feb 1, 2016, 10:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic