Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
dsgriff"s terrible p5 scheduling idea
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

dsgriff"s terrible p5 scheduling idea

Sep 19, 2019, 8:14 AM

As indicated in the title, this plan is logistically almost impossible, and has several glaring flaws, but this is a discussion board, so here goes:

Each Power 5 team plays 8 conference games, 4 home, 4 away
Each Power 5 team plays one opponent from each of the other Power 5 conferences, 2 home, 2 away
Each team is allowed (but not required) to have ONE permanent out of conference Power 5 opponent

Obvious positives:
1) Would force Notre Dame to join a conference
2) Would balance the schedules
3) Would create some cool intraregional matchups and more compelling games overall
4) Would preserve existing out of conference rivalries and may restore others (e.g. Texas-TAMU)

Obvious negatives:
1) Would cost most teams one or two home games, somewhat mitigated by better competition
2) People would cry that we get to play the easiest SEC opponent every year
3) Would block Group of 5 path to playoffs
4) Would cost lower division schools guaranteed payouts as sacrificial lambs

Have at it, boys!

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: dsgriff"s terrible p5 scheduling idea

Sep 19, 2019, 8:41 AM

As a fan of college football, I like it... I'd rather see Clemson play teams like Iowa or Oregon etc instead of Charlotte or Wofford even if it means losing a 7th home game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you that it's a terrible idea

Sep 19, 2019, 8:45 AM

The smaller schools would have to drop football because those payouts you mentioned keeps their programs alive. Also, it would be pointless for non-P5 schools to have a football season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Unfortunately, the only thing that would force ND to

Sep 19, 2019, 8:45 AM

join a conference is for TV networks to stop giving them a bunch of money as an independent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unfortunately, the only thing that would force ND to

Sep 19, 2019, 8:51 AM

they have expressed the attitude they would never join. I believe that. Had the toothless ACC deal required them to by a date certain it would have been better. Since it didnt they arent going to unless many bad years tank their tv contract

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let them keep their contract with NBC...

Sep 19, 2019, 9:11 AM

and give them two options;

1 - Share it and their bowl money with the rest of the league, or

2 - ND's share of conference revenue is reduced by the amount paid to ND by bowl games and NBC

Notre Dame's television deal with NBC runs through 2025 and pays them $15 million annually.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Unfortunately, the only thing that would force ND to

Sep 19, 2019, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Unfortunately, the only thing that would force ND to ]

You haven't heard, Swofford said a few months back that ND was a full member of the ACC and I believe they get some of the football revenues that the rest of the conference has to share. So no, they could lose every game for 10 years and still get bowl and Network revenue from the ACC. I may be wrong but I remember that discussion a few months ago on here and the complaints from almost everyone.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even with this type of format...

Sep 19, 2019, 8:47 AM

I think you would still see match-ups remain largely regionalized. Teams like Georgia and Clemson aren't likely to make very many, if any, trips to the west coast to play Southern Cal, Utah, or Oregon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Every plan has similar pros and cons. The major con

Sep 19, 2019, 8:55 AM

in this one seems to be that it continues to add weight to a 4 team playoff, which cheapens all all other play. Nobody cares about even the Cotton Bowl if its not part of the playoffs, to the degree that players are opting out of bowl games. We wanted playoffs, we got 'em, and as the saying goes, "If you want it bad, you get it bad."

The pros of your plan are clear, and I like those. The con is that while adding objectivity to how playoff teams would be chosen it has the con of adding further weight to what has become a 4 team post season. Perhaps the objectives of your plan could be reached by broadening the playoffs by pushing the first round to the conference level. Something like:
- 7 eligible conferences
- 11 game season
- mandatory conference championship game, which is first round of playoffs
- 1 at large team is selected for 8 team playoff.

Major pros
- winning the conf becomes uber important
- the selection committee has control of only one invitee, diminishing their importance
- the playoff settles the matter of conference strength
- 4 more bowl games have meaning
- we dont have to hear the term 'sos' nearly as much

Major cons
Loss of a regular season game (probably a deal breaker)
All other bowl games are still meaningless, but that comes with playoffs.

Could do all the above with the existing 12 game season, adding the con of a 16 game season for two teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good points, all. There is no perfect, or easy, plan

Sep 19, 2019, 9:09 AM

I know any major changes are infeasible and unlikely, but at least it creates thoughtful exchange of ideas. Thanks for your response. I look forward to others. I saved you and others the trouble of calling me a dumba$$ by doing it myself.

I agree, I get so tired of hearing all of the talk about schedule and conference strength. Just spitballing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 10:11 AM

The biggest issue with your plan is that it takes away money from the smaller programs as others have mentioned.

My biggest problem with taking money from the smaller programs is that it is literally taking education away from thousands of young people.

Those paychecks to small schools not only hurt the football programs but the other athletic programs for smaller schools as well.

Many student athletes are not able to attend college without their athletic scholarship.

It really isn't the most exciting thing to see Clemson beat an FCS school by 50 every season, but knowing that Clemson is paying the way for their athletes to get an education makes it completely worth it.

For that reason I am not in favor of any college football plan that takes those paychecks away from the smaller schools.

Two points

Sep 19, 2019, 10:17 AM

1. Bowls are dead with the advent of the CFP. Dead as a door nail. Attendance is abysmal. A fix is needed...and can be had. We watch them on television because they're our fix before the semis.

2. Money for the smaller programs can also be had...and likely in a more equitable fashion than exists presently.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowls are not dead, more are being added***

Sep 19, 2019, 11:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Which one you want to attend?

Sep 19, 2019, 11:19 AM

You're smart...you know what I meant.

Then again...maybe I missed on both...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 10:26 AM

I think P5 teams should be allowed one cupcake per season, just not 2 or 3. Completely eliminating FBS vs. FCS matchups is too severe.

The season should also be reduced from 12 to 11 games. The CFP increased to 8 with all P5 champs qualifying and one Group of 5 member guaranteed, leaving 2 at-large.

Two days of scrimmaging in August against an opponent should be allowed. This is long overdue.

While I'm open-minded on the number of conference games, 8 should be enough.

Sep 19, 2019, 2:28 PM

I know what you mean when referring to cupcakes (OIC cupcakes) but there are also cupcakes in the P5 conferences and many people are pointing to Clemson having an advantage in the ACC because of cupcakes.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 2:43 PM

Valid point, but a team can't be held responsible for how good conference opponents are. Only thing that can be legislated is how many conference games. The out of conference schedule is what's open for debate.

I'm so tired of the "weak ACC" argument, mainly because of the reaction of many here who let it bother them.

We can't let jealous SEC fanatics diminish winning 2 or the last 3 CFPs. When you take care of business, that proves you belonged.

Signed,

30-3 & 44-16!

Sep 19, 2019, 2:31 PM

I'm all for Notre Dame finally joining a conference

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic