Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Danny Ford: Clemson would join SEC if offered
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Football Update: Danny Ford: Clemson would join SEC if offered

Sep 28, 2011, 9:49 AM

Danny Ford: Clemson would join SEC if offered

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

except for soccer

Sep 28, 2011, 9:50 AM

and softball...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would such a move hurt basketball?

Sep 28, 2011, 9:59 AM

I know many of our recruits come because of the chance to prove they can compete with the UNC's of the world.

Cuts both ways: How would a move improve our football?***

Sep 28, 2011, 10:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

most certainly

Sep 28, 2011, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Would such a move hurt basketball? ]

We don't support basketball like we do football. The only reason we are decent is because we are in the ACC.

Being in the SEC would help basketball

Sep 28, 2011, 10:03 AM

how could it possibly hurt. Being in the ACC has never helped our basketball program and never will.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree

Sep 28, 2011, 10:08 AM

We dont recruit well in basketball. The only reason some guys come here is because they weren't offered by UNC or Dook and want to prove themselves or just want the opportunity to play against them. Nobody dreams of playing in the SEC in basketball.

Re: I disagree

Sep 28, 2011, 10:59 AM

I understand your argument but Clemson would be more relevant in a sub mediocre SEC in BBall. The addition of Cuse, Pitt, and possibly UConn assures that.

Agree....

Sep 28, 2011, 11:22 AM

the addition of Syracuse, Pitt, and maybe UConn really sets Clemson back. What is interesting thought is that Boehiem and Calhoun are nearing retirement and those programs were made by the coaches. I wonder if another can carry their legacy on.

Re: I disagree

Sep 28, 2011, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: I disagree ]

How would it help Clemson with cuse ucon or the other mention. It would only help the mention schools and hurt Clemson. We would then be a top 7th or 8th in the league instead of 4th or 5th.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't agree with that at all

Sep 28, 2011, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Being in the SEC would help basketball ]

SC basketball is hurt by playing in the SEC.....Dave Odom has said going from WF to SC he could see the difference in recruiting in the ACC vs. the SEC. Kids don't grow up dreaming of playing against Florida in basketball even though they won two national titles in a row.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The UF back to back

Sep 28, 2011, 11:09 AM

NC's were a fluke. UK is vastly overrated. Odom won big in the ACC. He lost big in the SEC. Reason? No players. Best BB players go to the ACC.

exactly....very tough to get kids to come to the SEC to play

Sep 28, 2011, 11:11 AM

basketball...they know the fans don't care about the game...the schools care much less...simply something to do in the winter after football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your first 2 statements are crap...

Sep 28, 2011, 11:21 AM [ in reply to The UF back to back ]

Florida had a very solid teams...the first one was a bit of a surprise, but they won it as a team. The second one was a great team that started at least 4 players currently in the NBA.

UK is vastly overrated? Not sure I agree. Would like an explanation on that.

The SEC would not bring down Clemson basketball. I dont buy into that one bit. Outside of the top 2 teams, its barely better than the SEC in basketball right now and will not be as good as the SEC this season. Vandy, UK, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi state will all have solid teams and UK and Vandy are preaseason top 5 by many people.

Clemson and ACC hoops ...

Sep 28, 2011, 1:02 PM [ in reply to don't agree with that at all ]

Kids do in grow up dreaming of playing in the ACC ... that's a fact.

But those same kids do not grow up dreaming of never winning an ACC title or never winning a single game in Chapel Hill.

We gave up on basketball relevancy in the ACC many decades ago when we chose to let Press Maravich leave over a couple of thousand dollars, mainly because the then AD Frank Howard didn't care whether we were any good in hoops or not. Maravich was a high-quality coach who could have led us to relevancy with the proper support, back before the heirarchy of the conference became so totally entrenched. Clemson just didn't care enough to give the support and we are still suffering from the decision.

Today, we can cling to the myth that we have been able to parlay the ACC connection into recruiting success, but the truth of the matter is that 99.9% of the time we're getting kids who may like the idea of playing in the ACC, but who were not even recruited by the teams they will be going up against. We will never be more than a 3rd-4th place team on a regular basis in the ACC. That's just reality.

Being in the SEC would be a challenge for us in football (at least for a while), but IMHO, it would be beneficial to us in basketball, baseball, and practically other sport. Granted, sports like soccer would suffer.

And eventually, it would be a tremendous boon to the football progam as well.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being in the SEC hasn't done anything for the USuCk program.

Sep 28, 2011, 1:17 PM

If anything it has made that basketball program worse. They were much better when they were in the ACC.

Re: Being in the SEC hasn't done anything for the USuCk program.

Sep 28, 2011, 3:19 PM

SCAR was not in the ACC when they went to the SEC. Big difference. Historically though, they had a couple of nice ACC seasons when FranK M. got his NYC boys to come down to Columbia. It didn't last and all it really did was pi$$ off the ACC power brokers. If SCAR had stayed in the ACC, they'd be in ther same position as Clemson today.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson and ACC hoops ...

Sep 28, 2011, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Clemson and ACC hoops ... ]

You are being to real, that is not excepted!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'd probably win more in basketball

Sep 28, 2011, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Would such a move hurt basketball? ]

Get higher seeds and so forth

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

no. kentucky is one of the best, Pearl did good things at

Sep 28, 2011, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Would such a move hurt basketball? ]

Tenn, Arkansas won 2 NCAA titles, as did Florida.

we can dream but don't see it ever happening***

Sep 28, 2011, 10:48 AM

Agree...***

Sep 28, 2011, 11:17 AM

Clemson doesn't need the SEC

Sep 28, 2011, 11:22 AM

Clemson already packs an 80,000 seat stadium and is in a BCS Conference that makes plenty of money and is stable.

Why would Clemson want to be in the SEC? What good would that do for Clemson? Someone please give me a good reason.

The SEC is the best football conference, but Clemson doesn't need it to become a national power.

Re: Clemson doesn't need the SEC

Sep 28, 2011, 2:45 PM

Sorry but, you are so out of touch:)

Danny Ford: Clemson would join SEC if offered

Sep 28, 2011, 11:26 AM

BAD Danny, Bad, bad.
Looks like his Auburn-Razorback side over powered his Tiger side again. Someone give him some Orange Juice. Clemson is a founding member of the ACC,,, What is the SEC going to offer us is my question.

Message was edited by: HALO Tiger®

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way.
Sine Pari- The tip of the spear.
Cofounder / USASOC Black Daggers 2001

Re: Danny Ford: Clemson would join SEC if offered

Sep 28, 2011, 1:40 PM

What Auburn side?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2011, 2:45 PM

You are right,,, I should have said Al-a-bama.

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way.
Sine Pari- The tip of the spear.
Cofounder / USASOC Black Daggers 2001

Sep 28, 2011, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Danny Ford: Clemson would join SEC if offered ]

I bet the SEC won't ever offer one of their members an extra year of probation. But bet your A$$ that the ACC will tack an extra one to you!!!

Can we please just win the ACC instead?***

Sep 28, 2011, 11:29 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can we please just win the ACC instead?***

Sep 28, 2011, 2:51 PM

Yes please, lets just win the acc first and continuing the ACC joke. You can win the ACCCG and still be looked on as the weaker conference. Kinda like a southern conference champion....

The point is we can't even do that.***

Sep 28, 2011, 5:12 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Danny Ford: Clemson would join SEC if offered

Sep 28, 2011, 12:04 PM

The SEC isn't handing out invitations to join their conference. If Clemson wants to join the SEC, we need to be proactive in doing so, not waiting around for an offer. Mike Slive articulated that the SEC doesn't "need" more teams, and that they have never gone shopping around to add more teams to the SEC. A&M approached the SEC and made a proposal as to why they would be a good fit in the SEC and their desire to leave the big 12. They didn't wait around for an SEC offer. The SEC might be slightly more proactive in adding another team if they decide adding one more will solve scheduling issues etc. but Slive has made it very clear even before they added A&M that the SEC does not need additional teams. If Clemson wants a shot at the SEC, we must be proactive in pursuing that opportunity, not waiting around passively to see if it happens.

The buyout for the ACC is $20 mil; the buyout for the SEC is close to nothing. What does that say about the strength of your conference?

For people that ask for one good reason to join the SEC, the front cover of the media guide for the 2011 SEC Media Days just showed a jersey with the #5. 5 consecutive national championships is a pretty good reason to want to join the SEC.

Sure, the ACC is safe, and yes Clemson will always be able to put 80,000 fans in Death Valley, but this conference realignment could definitely stratify college football making it more difficult for teams like Clemson to take their achievements to the next level. There may not be another opportunity for a long time for Clemson to proactively approach the SEC and propose why we would be a good fit.

Sep 28, 2011, 12:56 PM

The ACC raised their buyout as fast as they could because they felt unstable.

SEC has a low one because we believe schools honestly want to be a member of our conference and enjoy the benefits.

I am all for Clemson coming to the SEC. It would give us a great fan base and institution as a whole as well as a 14th team on the east side evening the divisions.

A LOT of recruits want to play for the SEC because of the perceived quality of the conference. It could benefit Clemson recruiting drastically being in the SEC. More kids could stay in state / closer to home and still compete with the best of the best.

Sep 28, 2011, 2:52 PM

EXACLY!!!!!!

Danny! Danny! Danny!***

Sep 28, 2011, 1:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I wish Danny had not brought up this topic.

Sep 28, 2011, 7:27 PM

I agree that we ought to be in the SEC. I wish we had left the ACC when S.Car did. We might be in the SEC today. But like Danny said, we bring nothing to the table as far as "markets" are concerned. The SEC is already in this state. And markets is what expansion is all about. It's not a coincidence that Missouri is their obvious next choice.

Re: I wish Danny had not brought up this topic.

Sep 28, 2011, 8:15 PM

He didn't bring it up....he was asked for his opinion

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic