Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm wasn't around for the Ford era
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 90
| visibility 1

I'm wasn't around for the Ford era

Jan 2, 2015, 10:48 PM

Can someone explain Coach Ford's opposition to Vickery Hall and the (possible) effect on his firing.

TIA in Advance

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think he was opposed to Vickery Hall. He was...

Jan 2, 2015, 11:04 PM

opposed to the players being integrated into the dorms with the other students, instead of having their own dorm building like the had at the time. I think it was Manning Hall, maybe???

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm wasn't around for the Ford era

Jan 2, 2015, 11:05 PM

He wasn't opposed to Vickery Hall. He wanted a new Dorm for the players, similar to what USC had in the Roost. Money was spent instead for Vickery Hall.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love Danny Ford to death

Jan 3, 2015, 12:51 AM

....but anybody who works for someone else would have been fired for what he did. Direct insubordination of not only your boss but his boss as well, then when told not to do it again you go even further is not the way to advance in your current position and a quick way to unemployment.

With the wisdom that comes from age and experience in the real world I don't blame Robinson and Lennon for the fact that they fired Danny. I do blame them for the hiring of Ken Hatfield and the death of all the momentum we had built up post-probation. Robinson gets double blame for allowing our facilities to get in the condition they were in when TDP came along.

I respect that he had conviction and fought

Jan 3, 2015, 1:03 AM

for what he believed in. The powers that be should have met him half way and helped an inexperienced youngster like Danny get through the process the right way.

Contrast that to the milk toast Hatfield and Robinson era that set us back 25+ years. Danny saw that coming from a mile away and fought it the only way he knew how. God bless him for caring enough to take a stand and fight!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Danny was right. He said that we were not

Jan 3, 2015, 8:18 AM [ in reply to I love Danny Ford to death ]

competing with other schools with regard to facilities. Ours were old and dated. It was hurting our recruiting. The admin types had no vision. If money were the issue, they could have easily sat down with Danny and worked out a timeline for improvements as the money became available. Instead they made it a power play. Danny, like Ronald Reagan, went over their heads to the people. Unlike Reagan, the opposition could, and did, fire the best thing that ever happened to Clemson football.

After Danny's departure, we wandered in the wilderness for over 20 years. Oh, and we did eventually do what Danny wanted.

sing it brotha! amen***

Jan 3, 2015, 9:42 AM

Well deserved direct insubordination towards both.***

Jan 3, 2015, 1:35 PM [ in reply to I love Danny Ford to death ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all his success, his highest salary was $25,000 a year. The president of the university, Dr. R. F. Poole, feared that professors who earned less would be upset. "He called me up and said that he didn't want me to tell anybody what I made," Howard once said. "I said: 'Doc, you don't have to worry. I'm as ashamed as you are of what you pay me.' " - Frank Howard Obituary, New York Times, 01/27/1996

it wasn't Vickery Hall as much as it was he wanted

Jan 2, 2015, 11:12 PM

Clemson to keep up with the competition and build dorms just for the players. Unfortunately, we had an egotistical, Luddite AD who was hell bent to deny Danny any winning on this issue and used the cloud of NCAA investigations to malign Danny's position with the board of directors and President.

Finally, it got so bad between them that Danny, a very prideful man, said screw you you little pip squeak of a man, I am out!

Years later, Danny was vindicated on the NCAA violations front and totally cleared. And we know just how righteous and pure the NCAA and ACC have been on fairly enforcing the rules, especially when it came to Clemson.

If you ask me, this whole thing was a complete sham against Danny out of hate for the fact that he commanded so much loyalty and power from Clemson faithful. And in the end, we now all now know, he never abused that power, but that a-hole AD turned out to be a complete loser and failure - professionally and personally. He was metro-sexual before it was cool!

Re: it wasn't Vickery Hall as much as it was he wanted

Jan 2, 2015, 11:14 PM

This is how I understand the unfolding of events for the most part. Anybody got any qualms about this line of thinking? Or is this mostly a universal opinion among the older Tigers?

an interesting point is that very soon after this fiasco

Jan 2, 2015, 11:17 PM

the ncaa did away with jocks only housing

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: an interesting point is that very soon after this fiasco

Jan 2, 2015, 11:20 PM

anyjuan remember slip and slide in johnstone?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. And in the frat houses too!***

Jan 2, 2015, 11:24 PM

Re: Yes. And in the frat houses too!***

Jan 2, 2015, 11:28 PM

good times bro...

Jan 3, 2015, 9:41 AM [ in reply to an interesting point is that very soon after this fiasco ]

I was at Clemson then. Danny wanted new athletic dorms, admin wanted Vickery. They butted heads and Danny went to the fans (IPTAY, I suppose) asking for pressure to build the dorms. Apparently the admin could read the tea leaves and knew that exclusive athletic dorms would be disallowed in a few years. Here we are 25 yrs later, and Vickery Hall is very much an integral part of athlete recruitment, retention and success. Say what you will about conspiracies against Danny, but in retrospect, Vickery was the right call.

Jan 3, 2015, 11:23 AM [ in reply to an interesting point is that very soon after this fiasco ]

My understanding is that the NCAA was saying they were going to ban athlete only housing, which is why the Administration did not want to go forward.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

keep this in mind next time someone calls me a coot

Jan 2, 2015, 11:23 PM [ in reply to Re: it wasn't Vickery Hall as much as it was he wanted ]

I was there when this went down and marched on the President's home with police out in riot gear. We were so GD pissed over how this was going down that it was amazing serious violence didn't occur.

I have mellowed a little over the years but this injustice crystalized my extreme passion for Clemson football and one of the main reasons I cannot tolerate folks in power at Clemson who don't get it or even like warm, Hatfield's like coaches. Be passionate and make winning the top priority and own your part of the puzzle. Morris never did that IMO. Dabo and Venables ooze it!

Go Tigers!??

Re: keep this in mind next time someone calls me a coot

Jan 2, 2015, 11:24 PM

I've never called you a coot and in fact was about to ask why your pulse was so low. You seem pretty real to me.

danny and danny's big mouf fired danny. danny was told

Jan 2, 2015, 11:30 PM

no. danny didn't like no, decided to try and drum up support on the iptay tour by bad mouthing his bosses.

that gets you effing fired.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: danny and danny's big mouf fired danny. danny was told

Jan 2, 2015, 11:32 PM

so danny had a mouf and your bosses halve mouths??? Trying to clear some things up here, siriously not being rude...

mouf/moufesses/mowves/mowths/mouths

Jan 2, 2015, 11:33 PM

phonetically speaking

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: mouf/moufesses/mowves/mowths/mouths

Jan 2, 2015, 11:37 PM

possibly crafting a responds.

lol...

Jan 2, 2015, 11:37 PM

i gots all nite and for you, even tomorrow tew.

Jan 2, 2015, 11:33 PM [ in reply to danny and danny's big mouf fired danny. danny was told ]

Oh. I didn't know you felt so strongly about this. Tanks for the info.

i'm mad at danny. i understand his passion, i miss what

Jan 2, 2015, 11:35 PM

could have been.

he's still my favorite clemson coach next to wilhelm, but he went way too far & unfortunately, no one could save danny from danny.

Your anger is on the wrong people

Jan 3, 2015, 12:02 AM

The President should have fired the AD, Bobby Robinson. The fact that he let that little son of a pup do what he did when he was wrong, wrong, wrong, is not Danny's fault. Danny knew it too. That SOB AD, born with a silver spoon in his mouth, was an ACC guy, not a Clemson guy. Swofford loved him. Now we know why.

By keeping Robinson, the board and the President were persona non grata in my view - not Ford. He was as genuine and salt of the Earth as they come. Still is.

my "anger" is not misplaced or misguided. danny being wrong

Jan 3, 2015, 12:15 AM

doesn't mean bobby wasn't as well or that max didn't have a hand in the undoing, but danny was not in charge, got butt hurt and took it to the streets, which will flat get you fired. it was a horrifically miscalculated move and it cost all of tiger nation.

danny was a football coach, that's it & he was quickly reminded of that when he sat down at the big boy table holding no cards or the chips to back up his power play.

stupid 101.

^^^The troof***

Jan 3, 2015, 12:18 AM

null

sup holmes? mr 45% pulse is proving he belongs

Jan 3, 2015, 12:20 AM

at 45% or lower.

still shaking it...

Sup brah....if they ain't lernt yet....we can't learn 'em***

Jan 3, 2015, 12:23 AM

null

horry crap, but they so needy. who gonna do it if not us?***

Jan 3, 2015, 12:31 AM

Sounds like a job for Crump. Agree?***

Jan 3, 2015, 11:59 AM

null

I am pretty sure he slept like a baby afterwards

Jan 3, 2015, 12:22 AM [ in reply to my "anger" is not misplaced or misguided. danny being wrong ]

with a clean conscience. I would bet that was not the case with the other characters in that play.

Clemson football has spent 30 years in the wilderness thanks to the ######### in charge at the time. Danny tried to tell them and they knew better, so he said fine, yall are so smart, good effing luck. He got the last laugh, if you can call it that. He was correct all along. Vindicated.

his ego wouldn't allow him to do anything, but sleep well.

Jan 3, 2015, 12:26 AM

i don't doubt that for a moment. clemson took care of him as they should and i'm happy for that, but his ego also took him to arkansas and i'm sure he slept like a baby there as well.

that left a mark too.

Re: my "anger" is not misplaced or misguided. danny being wrong

Jan 3, 2015, 12:26 AM [ in reply to my "anger" is not misplaced or misguided. danny being wrong ]

Sorry but Danny was right if Bobby Robinson wood have #### his mouth, the dorms would've gotten scraped and ford had this program rolling. Lil did btch bobby know how powerful football was and at the time Danny left is about the time FSU was getting powerful, Ford beat them down there ( point roosky at home hate thinking about that) buy if bobby r would've just realized Ford was the face of the university not him there is no telling where this program works be now. Not that it's in terrible shadow now but Ken Hatfield set our butts way back and BR didn't do anything but bury the football program

Exactly!***

Jan 3, 2015, 12:28 AM

he got fired, nothing right about that and his big mouth is

Jan 3, 2015, 12:29 AM [ in reply to Re: my "anger" is not misplaced or misguided. danny being wrong ]

what took him there.

bobby didn't make danny do it, max didn't make danny do it and danny's friends offered him poor advice if taking the dirty laundry to the public was supported by any or all.

it was undeniably stupid to rub the wrong man's rhubarb and danny did plenty of rubbing; he was his own worst enemy.

FSU wasn't even in the ACC then***

Jan 3, 2015, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Re: my "anger" is not misplaced or misguided. danny being wrong ]

I don't believe Robinson ever had the power you think he

Jan 3, 2015, 1:14 AM [ in reply to Your anger is on the wrong people ]

had. I don't believe he could fire Danny on his own. I think the President and Board of Trustees made the decision and directed Robinson to carry it out.

I view Robinson as a "yes"man for the administration, with little real power of his own.

I agree he presided over a period where we sat on our butts regarding facilities. Fortunately, we were ahead of the competition (thanks to AD Bill McLellan) prior to Robinson's taking over, so we were able to catch up after his tenure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your anger is on the wrong people

Jan 3, 2015, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Your anger is on the wrong people ]

That's funny, I heard that Bobby tried his damndest to keep the admin from firing Danny.

yes he did.***

Jan 3, 2015, 9:49 AM

Max Lennon just as much to blame as Robinson***

Jan 3, 2015, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Your anger is on the wrong people ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We took it personal when Danny was fired.

Jan 3, 2015, 1:33 AM [ in reply to Re: danny and danny's big mouf fired danny. danny was told ]

I'd just graduated and had a pretty good idea what was going on then. As the years when by and our football program fell all to hail I realized that had Danny kept his mouth shut and done his job we'd still be winning.

I'm not exonerating Danny's opponents in this either. I'd tell you exactly what I think of them but crump would chit a brick if I used that language in open forum.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a fair perspective I can agree with

Jan 3, 2015, 8:02 AM

It felt personal to me as well and still does to a large degree. It felt like there was some hidden anti-Danny force at work just because he was a soft spoken country boy who was carrying a lot of clout because he was very good at what he did and was a natural leader.

It seemed like there was a lot of jealousy from some in the power circles of academia at Clemson aagainst him at the time and they were looking for any excuse to tear him down and he didn't blink. At some point he stopped nodding nod his head and saying "yes sir/mam" and that gave them what they needed as rationale to fire him.

The hidden agenda part hardly anyone recalls unless you were there at the time. Sure, Danny was becoming a powerful icon and sure he was pissing off the academic purists along the way. Could he have handled himself better on that front? Sure. He got famous too fast and at a very young age, so he got a big head. No doubt. But sas he evil, poisonous or a threat to the whole university as his detractors wanted everyone to believe at the time? No!

The powers that be all the way up to the BOD are supposed to be wise folk. It was critical that they figure out how to let Danny be Danny and still help him learn how to become that icon gracefully.? I truly believe they should have and could have done that because Danny, once you sit down and talk with him, personally, is a good soul. Until the day I die, I believe they didnt want him there regardless and he knew it. Call it intuition or orange colored glasses or whatever, but I have felt this way about that in my bones forever.

The situation was bigger than all of them in terms of Clemson's standing both academically and athletically and they all blew it. 30 years in the wilderness resulted from that debacle. Cooler heads should have prevailed and figured out how to be more "give and take".

This is why I'm always cautiously optimistic now. My faith in the higher ups at Clemson was irrevocably shaken and it is almost like I have post traumatic stress syndrome on this front now.

Re: This is a fair perspective I can agree with

Jan 3, 2015, 8:23 AM

Anyone who's ever darkened the door to a Clemson classroom knows that tenured professors hate the coaches. Somehow they think they are better than sports people, of course they think they are better than everyone but most people don't make 100 times their salaries.

The sad things is that every single one of the stuckup priks know the supply and demand economics of D1 coaches and just don't care.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any self respecting man, when on the correct side of...

Jan 2, 2015, 11:48 PM [ in reply to danny and danny's big mouf fired danny. danny was told ]

An issue allow the fact that someone holds a position of power over you, mostly through nepotism and politics, dissuade you from fighting back!

Those kind of guys need to just cut their nads off and just jump when they are told to jump. Those kind of guys surely live lives of quiet desperation.

Nope. Danny wouldn't lay down, shut up, and not stand his ground. Just like in football, by God he was not going to give an inch. Good for him! We need more like him too!

History shows he was correct and he was being undermined by an administration who felt he had too much power. No recruiting violations were ever handed down in the end.

God bless him for having the integrity to stand tall.

he wasn't on the correct side, danny was on danny's side.

Jan 2, 2015, 11:55 PM

what danny campaigned for was outlawed by the nc2a months after they threw danny's standing tall #### out the door. bang up job coach.

and for the record, a lot of rights being exercised at the time... you exercised your right to march on the president's house, because danny exercised his right to free speech & those in charge exercised their right to fire his insubordinate ####.

The NCAA is a sham and is toothless

Jan 3, 2015, 12:04 AM

Why would anyone care what they say at this point? Everything they do is arbitrary and capricious.

at this point? what does that have to do with 1989-90? ask

Jan 3, 2015, 12:19 AM

smu if they'd like the 80s to do over. try at minimum to stay on topic or the proper generation, you're all over the place at this point and i don't have time for that nonsense.

i am pretty sure a USSC ruling on the anti competitive shennanigans

Jan 3, 2015, 12:26 AM

of the NCAA would have gone Clemson's way. This will be a reality in the near future too. Watch and see. We are very close now.

Re: The NCAA is a sham and is toothless

Jan 3, 2015, 12:21 AM [ in reply to The NCAA is a sham and is toothless ]

big words..

Re: The NCAA is a sham and is toothless

Jan 3, 2015, 12:30 AM

Definitely not a coot. Arbitrary is like a 6/10 word, but capricious is more like 8.5/10 in terms of difficulty/commonality of usage.

hahaha...thanks ??***

Jan 3, 2015, 12:31 AM

come on, that's horsepukey, form with no foundation

Jan 3, 2015, 12:33 AM [ in reply to Re: The NCAA is a sham and is toothless ]

is no bueno.

1/10 tops.

Re: come on, that's horsepukey, form with no foundation

Jan 3, 2015, 12:35 AM

I think characterizing the NCAA as arbitrary and capricious is fair. I do acknowledge your point that it wasn't the same entity then as it is now. Not everyone has your gift of pretty free verse, ya know.

because no one challenged the NCAA!

Jan 3, 2015, 12:40 AM

That is why it was able to wield the boogey monster power over teams. It is obviously a way to reign in any break away competition so the natural pecking order of things can be maintained.

Someone has long need to take a flame thrower to the NCAA. Why not Clemson back the?! The NCAA's days are numbered big time.

other's limitations aren't my concern. it was 25+ years ago

Jan 3, 2015, 12:41 AM [ in reply to Re: come on, that's horsepukey, form with no foundation ]

about the time you were a gleam in your diddy's eye.

deer lowered, can i get a witness?

;)

sorry, but CU class of '86 and was an

Jan 3, 2015, 12:45 AM

Eyewitiness

Re: other's limitations aren't my concern. it was 25+ years ago

Jan 3, 2015, 12:45 AM [ in reply to other's limitations aren't my concern. it was 25+ years ago ]

Oh I know it. The politics of the olden timez normally bore me for that very reason, but I've learned a good deal in this thread. Yall be sweet and play nice ;). Later broskis

politics were real before millenials made it about crying

Jan 3, 2015, 12:48 AM

games.

####, my bad.

;)

i'm out ibwg, have a great nite dood.

be well tigerbilly et al.

Jan 3, 2015, 12:31 AM [ in reply to danny and danny's big mouf fired danny. danny was told ]

Danny knew he had to have the facilities to compete. He had brought the team to the top, but the program still lagged. He knew that he could not maintain what he had built if he did not get what he needed to recruit and compete.

vickery hall which rose from the ashes is a great example.

Jan 3, 2015, 12:35 AM

danny backed the wrong building.

yep, Danny knew and tried as best he knew how to

Jan 3, 2015, 12:36 AM [ in reply to Re: danny and danny's big mouf fired danny. danny was told ]

'Edumacate' the unlearned in big time football when the arms race was heating up, but the soft palmed hayseeds on the board, in the AD's office and the President's chair could not be edumacated.

Finally, someone speaks the truth. This is

Jan 3, 2015, 12:45 AM [ in reply to danny and danny's big mouf fired danny. danny was told ]

exactly what happened.

I was t accusing you, just pointing out

Jan 2, 2015, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Re: keep this in mind next time someone calls me a coot ]

That it happens from time to time when I don't pump sunshine and express my concern or dislike about the staff (my latest being Morris). Early in the year during the Cole struggles I said that if Dabo doesn't take steps to switch Morris out this year, then he (Dabo) will be the one on the hot seat.

I never ragged on Cole because he was doing his best and Cole wasn't making $1.3mm/ year. Chad was and Chad needed to step up and own the fact that he created the problems we were facing. From recruiting lapses, to coaching up the talent we had, to play calling.

Those sober and accurate comments beget me being called a coot.

But by God I have put more $ and time into Clemson than 90% of the folks on Tigernet and I will call it like I see it. My blood runs orange and always has. When I was just 13 years old, I knew Clemson was going to be where I went to college and I made it one of my goals.

No board poster calling me a coot will change the fact that I am probably so much more Clemson than them that it isn't even funny. But alas, it makes them happy. Whatever.

i speak my mind & don't have a pulse on life support

Jan 2, 2015, 11:47 PM

maybe it's not the "what", but the "how"?

coot

;)

Re: i speak my mind & don't have a pulse on life support

Jan 3, 2015, 12:07 AM

Some of us really don't place value on being politically correct, just correct.

And I for one could care less about a pulse rating thingy or being called a coot. The fact is, you know, I know and everyone on this board knows otherwise. ??

you offered a long enough explanation for something

Jan 3, 2015, 12:23 AM

that you couldn't less about.

and if correct is your thing, you should try it sometime because wrong will get you 45% just as quickly.

appreciate your advice, it is worth what I paid***

Jan 3, 2015, 12:30 AM

advice? the strong don't need it, the weak don't heed it...

Jan 3, 2015, 12:39 AM

from what i've seen you're the latter.

it was an observation & statement of fact. feel free to carry on anyway you'd like, but if you drone on about your pulse again, i'll be happy to point it out.

if I could get it to zero, I would be most happy!

Jan 3, 2015, 12:43 AM

Just to be different if for no other reason.

there you go, i'll laud the effort and you're well on your

Jan 3, 2015, 12:45 AM

way.

I may have called you a coot, but since then I have payed

Jan 3, 2015, 9:45 AM [ in reply to keep this in mind next time someone calls me a coot ]

more attention to your posts and retract it. Sorry about the slur...

Danny was lobbying for the jock dorms and ...

Jan 3, 2015, 12:23 AM [ in reply to Re: it wasn't Vickery Hall as much as it was he wanted ]

...was turned down by the admin/university (That type dorm would, soon after, be banned by the NCAA). Danny went around the admin/university and began lobbying the fans on the IPTAY meeting circuit thereby acting (in the eyes of the admin/university) as if he did not have to answer to them. This became an understandably untenable situation and Danny was fired. Danny was well-loved by the fans and still is, but he was/is not bigger than the university!

I think, had he been allowed to act like he was larger than the university itself, Clemson may have evolved into the same situation which befell Penn State recently. It is never good for the institution to buckle under to the individual no matter the stature of the individual.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was a great power struggle between Danny and...

Jan 3, 2015, 1:27 AM [ in reply to Re: it wasn't Vickery Hall as much as it was he wanted ]

just about all the bosses. Nobody had clean hands when it was all said and done. It wasn't all on the Administration and it sure as hail wasn't all on Danny. With or without the infractions Danny couldn't continue.

Some will say it was between Danny and the AD but even after many years when everyone that Danny had offended was gone Danny request to return to his former job was denied. Evidently, he pizzed somebody off that was on the BOT. Now don't let anyone tell you Danny was anywhere close to innocent in this fiasco. He made demands and usurped authority. As someone said the NCAA infractions made it easier for those he'd pizzed off to fire him.

Actually, Danny wasn't welcomed home to Clemson until after Dabo came on board. That did much to endear Dabo to the old Tigers.

Don't forget Max.***

Jan 2, 2015, 11:17 PM [ in reply to it wasn't Vickery Hall as much as it was he wanted ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uggghhhh.... Max $&@#%^****

Jan 2, 2015, 11:26 PM

Saw my grad pic on stage with Max the other day and almost

Jan 3, 2015, 9:35 AM

threw up.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i hear you!***

Jan 3, 2015, 11:24 AM

more than anything ,it was calling out the NS State coach

Jan 3, 2015, 12:04 PM [ in reply to it wasn't Vickery Hall as much as it was he wanted ]

on national TV for turning him in for cheating & assaulting 1 of his 'black' player who was dating his daughter. I know Professors who were on the committee that fired him

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm wasn't around for the Ford era

Jan 3, 2015, 12:19 AM

Ford wanted a Jock dorm. Robinson said the in NCAA was doing away with them because of situations like Oklahoma. Ford continue to fight Lennon in what seemed like a power struggle. Ford was out, Hatfield was in and Frank Howard chewed out the protesters.Hatfield was undermined but he did beat the coots two out of three

Here's what you need to know about how it was then . . . .

Jan 3, 2015, 10:12 AM

Imagine if an emergency press conference were announced for 3:00 this afternoon regarding Dabo Swinney. At 3:00, it is announced that Dabo has resigned as head coach at Clemson in the best interest for all concerned. BAM. That's what it was like.

There was no internet, and what we knew was limited to the morning newspaper and the 6 O'clock news, and all we were EVER told was that Danny Ford RESIGNED. There was and never has been an official explanation of any kind. Yes, we knew that there was an NCAA investigation (which later cleared Ford 100%), but EVERYTHING else was speculation.

Here's the way it went down: It was 3 weeks after finishing 10-2, beating down West Virginia in the Gator Bowl, and finishing ranked number 11. The program was in great shape, Clemson fans were on a high, and Danny Ford was worshiped. Then, seemingly out of the blue, a news conference was called and Danny Ford resigned. No explanation - none whatsoever. There was complete and utter shock all across Tiger Nation, and anyone who tells it differently is lying or reinventing history. Remember, there was no internet, no TigerNet, no David Hood; for the most part, all the public knew was what was what Clemson wanted us to know. Very few people at the time were aware of any real problems between Danny and the administration, at least the fan base in general. Therefore, when he "resigned" it was a total shock. The reaction was "What the ####? Is this a joke? Why?" The fact that no real explanation was given led to all sorts of rumors and speculation, and sometimes it's hard to this day to sort it all out. I remember tv sports reporter Stan Olenick confronting Clemson AD Bobby Robinson in the parking lot on tv and demanding answers, as a frightened Robinson very nervously and defensively refused to give any answers at all and physically sidestepped a persistent, almost indignant Olenick as he ducked into a car and sped away.

Yeah, we "know" now what happened, but to this day, there has been no official account given by either the university or Danny Ford. Anything to do with Danny's conflict wit Bobby Robinson, Max Lennon, anything to do with power struggles and dorms and such may be 100% true, but understand that the way we have come to "know" all of these "facts" is largely through the grapevine.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

hardly a peep short of danny's grumbling on the circuit...

Jan 3, 2015, 10:24 AM

many a witness to that, but when the hammer finally fell & the "world" stood still, no one seemed to have any inkling it had even approached the point of no repair or reconciliation.

still numb thinking about my father's phone call to give me the news.

Right, and the vast majority of the fan base was not on

Jan 3, 2015, 10:41 AM

the circuit and was unaware of the grumblings anyway. Certainly few realized it had gotten that bad. Nowadays we'd all be much more aware of such discord.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

i don't know who knew what, but if you didn't know danny was

Jan 3, 2015, 10:48 AM

"upset" then, well you weren't paying attention. the struggle had gone on for years. we didn't have the information highway we do today, but newspapers worked just fine, gameday was as good as any internet and the bowls were another opportunity to tell danny to throw it more or catch up on what wasn't in the morning's paper.

the conflict escalated at some point and no one had any idea it would or could, that was what was surprising.

I was paying attention, and I didn't know it. I had been an

Jan 3, 2015, 11:08 AM

IPTAY member and season ticket holder since 1968. None of my Clemson buddies ever mentioned a word about Danny Ford being unhappy or any internal strife, at least nothing significant that prepared me for the shock of his resignation. If it wasn't reported on the tv news, in the newspaper, or in the Orange & White, I didn'yt know about it. Of course, I never attended the dinner circuit or any of that, so in those circles it may have been known. I just know that I worked with a couple of Clemson grads and season ticket holders who were hard core Clemson fans as well, and they were just as shocked as I was that day as we huddled around the tv to watch the press conference.

- H. L. Mencken

it was in the paper, he was quoted as saying something along

Jan 3, 2015, 11:19 AM

the lines of "it was his unhappiest day at clemson" when they decided to spend the several million on a "learning center" and not his dorm. there were other instances as well, maybe for a lot of people it didn't seem like anything of consequence? i mean really, danny wasn't going anywhere unless an act of god or the ncaa mandated it. certainly he was danny, he was family and no way would the clemson family eat their own.

the biggest thing for me, maybe you as well, was how could things get so sideways? i'm still blown away that "danny being danny" as many would say then, got him canned.

it made no sense then, makes little today. it just shouldn't have ended that way. so much blame to be shared by all involved.

Exactly, but Danny was very paternal about his players and

Jan 3, 2015, 11:33 AM

And team that will never be forgotten nor should it. He was doing the right thing in his mind. Sad.

I guess that just didn't stand out for me. I agree, Lennon,

Jan 3, 2015, 11:40 AM [ in reply to it was in the paper, he was quoted as saying something along ]

Robinson, and maybe the BOT allowing this to turn into a pi$$ing match is mind-bottling, and Clemson football is just now recovering over 20 years later. And how did the parties involved fare? Rightly or wrongly, Lennon and Robinson are generally detested, while Danny is revered.

- H. L. Mencken

I had the same feeling. Unbelievable.***

Jan 3, 2015, 11:29 AM [ in reply to hardly a peep short of danny's grumbling on the circuit... ]

Initially

Jan 3, 2015, 10:32 AM

I thought it was another STUPID Tigernet internet rumor.

Then I remembered there was no Tigernet!

Then I remembered I wasn't on the internet!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 90
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic