Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CU paying Wyo $1.1m to cancel, UGA paying SJSU $1.8m
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

CU paying Wyo $1.1m to cancel, UGA paying SJSU $1.8m

Jun 13, 2015, 12:55 AM

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/clemson-set-to-pay-seven-figure-buyout-to-wyoming-after-scheduling-2021-georgia-game/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pocket change for both schools.***

Feb 20, 2020, 12:43 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pocket change for both schools.***

Feb 20, 2020, 1:46 PM

With some creative accounting I could see how we could deduct that from bowl revenue before we divide with conference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CU paying Wyo $1.1m to cancel, UGA paying SJSU $1.8m

Feb 20, 2020, 12:48 PM

How much is Charlotte/ESPN paying each school? I assume it will more than make up for the lost home game revenue. We were paying Wyoming $1.1M either way.

Feb 20, 2020, 1:32 PM

Teams usually make $5-7mil each for a big neutral site matchup like that. We usually average around 4mil per home game. So if we make 5, it will end up being about like a home game, but if we make 7, we'll come out around $2 mil ahead.

2024 will be really good for us financially, as we have the 7 home games, plus the neutral site game with UGA.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2020, 12:49 PM

I'm excited to play UGA. That's always a super competitive game against a historic rival.
But I would have rather played Florida. I thought a CU-UF game was "in the works" in the near future. I was surprised when they announced we'll be playing UGA.

Feb 20, 2020, 1:36 PM

Florida - via Twitter - said they had an opening in the late 2030’s was what I think I last saw.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand why we did it much more than why they did it.

Feb 20, 2020, 12:50 PM

We really, really needed a marquee 2021 game. What is Georgia gaining aside from a much better chance of getting an additional L on their resume?

I dunno, but I respect both sides for making this happen.***

Feb 20, 2020, 12:57 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with that***

Feb 20, 2020, 3:35 PM

Re: I understand why we did it much more than why they did it.

Feb 20, 2020, 1:03 PM [ in reply to I understand why we did it much more than why they did it. ]

UGA's schedule was as bad as ours. Both schools needed it to somewhat legitimize their schedules

UGA's cross-division opponent is Auburn and Arkansas

Feb 20, 2020, 1:09 PM [ in reply to I understand why we did it much more than why they did it. ]

Since Arky doesn't look to be trending to amazing by that time, the schedule looks to hinge on Florida and Auburn both being good teams. I'd believe UF could be ranked, but you never know what Gus will do with Auburn in a given year. Adding Clemson helps to solidify OOC and gives their overall schedule more credibility

Clemson

Florida + Auburn + SECCG is always going to be a decent

Feb 20, 2020, 3:33 PM

schedule. It's not loaded, but it's not bad either. The SEC West winner has been in the top 5 going into the SECCG every year since 2007. Florida and Auburn are likely pretty consistent 9-10 win teams as long as their respective head coaches are there.

Our 2021 schedule was potentially AAC-level, depending on how much the ACC improves over the next 2 years, and we would've been criticized even more heavily for not trying to schedule big OOC. This obviously fixes the latter problem for us.

Re: I understand why we did it much more than why they did it.

Feb 20, 2020, 1:27 PM [ in reply to I understand why we did it much more than why they did it. ]

If Trevor heads off to the NFL after this coming season, we will have a first year starter facing UGA in 2021. UGA will be finding their QB for 2020, and that would probably give UGA advantage at QB for the 2021 season. I wonder if they would have accepted the challenge if it had been the other way with them starting a first season as starter QB, probably not!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

counterpoint - our D will be off the scale good...

Feb 20, 2020, 1:39 PM

plus - does that wake transfer have 2 years of eligibility left

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: counterpoint - our D will be off the scale good...

Feb 20, 2020, 2:58 PM

No, he is a graduate transfer. Only one year of eligibility.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/01/11/wake-forest-qb-newman-transferring-to-georgia-for-final-year/40979925/

UGA just brought in grad transfer Jamie Newman from Wake

Feb 20, 2020, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I understand why we did it much more than why they did it. ]

There's a good chance he's a 1-year stop gap for them this season, and they will also be breaking in a new QB along with us in that 2021 opener.

uga schedulke in 2021 is pretty bad

Feb 20, 2020, 4:00 PM [ in reply to I understand why we did it much more than why they did it. ]

Home games

UAB
Charleston Southern
Kent
Missouri
South Carolina
ARK

Away games:

Auburn
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
GT

Neutral site:

Florida

Without that Clemson game, that is a about as easy of a schedule as you can have in a P5 conference.

Feb 20, 2020, 1:05 PM

well worth it as both schools will receive more than the buyout for this game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gonna be crazy in Charlotte

Feb 20, 2020, 1:24 PM

I hope I can afford tickets to this one. I have been going to the last 3 ACCCGs and taking Grandsons. I would love to take them to a Clemson vs Georgia game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why not UCONN?

Feb 20, 2020, 3:54 PM

Arent they dropping down to d2?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Re: why not UCONN?

Feb 21, 2020, 9:08 AM

Agree with that. UCONN should replace by WYOMING (period)

Because UConn is scheduled on 11/13

Feb 21, 2020, 9:25 AM [ in reply to why not UCONN? ]

We had to align with Georgia's and the stadium's availability.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

It seems to me that a number of Natty contenders are looking

Feb 21, 2020, 8:56 AM

to toughen up their schedules. I would think that it is to try to put them into a position that if they lose one game, they could still get in to the CFP.

Re: It seems to me that a number of Natty contenders are looking

Feb 22, 2020, 1:36 PM

I respect your opinion as I believe everyone has their right to their own opinion, but, I truly believe that if we beat UGA the first game of 2021, and then lose to a Syracuse, or a Louisville, or a FSU our very next game and then win out. That one early season loss can and most likely keep Clemson out of the playoffs. And UGA goes on and beats Bama and LSU during their season.

When the playoffs come around, Bama, LSU and UGA all have one loss, those SEC teams would get into the playoffs before We/Clemson gets in with a loss, and we beat the UGA that beat Bama and LSU. And that is bc the SEC is allowed to play by a double standard bc, ESECPN and the sports media push their agenda that the SEC teams are just better and tougher.

When an SEC team loses to a Clemson or any other team not in the SEC, the loss is forgiven bc they didn't want to be there playing a lowly non SEC team. And bc they play against each other and just beat each other up. Or they were just to tired bc they had played a full schedule in the best toughest conference in all of college FB.

We all know that's just the way that it is bc ESECPN and the media guru's of college FB are always pushing their BS agenda that the SEC are the world beaters in all of college FB, and most of us know that has been a lie for the past 10 years. It is true that they have a few elite teams, but so do other conferences. And if FSU, Miami, and 1 other team can get to being close to us or as good, the ACC could be one of, if not the best conference in college FB. As a FB team, our Clemson Tigers are as good as any team in college FB, and better than most!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2020, 9:15 AM

Things costs more in Cali vs Wyoming

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic