Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
couldn't make it to the games this weekend
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,372

couldn't make it to the games this weekend

Feb 17, 2019, 2:54 PM

so how good is this davis sharpe kid? Is he the pitcher version of Seth Beer? lol. also, how was the other freshman pitcher?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great on mound & plate***

Feb 17, 2019, 3:00 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is as we had hoped . . .

Feb 17, 2019, 4:29 PM

Special on both accounts!!! The other freshman (LHP) has great movement on slider and breaking ball.

If you have seen us play in the last 2-3 years, you have seen this team. We are still strong fielding the ball. Our bull pen was great. Our base running is a bit more aggressive. Our hitting is still feast or famine . . . with way too much famine to suit me.

But look, I was a singles hitter, never one to drive the ball . . . so my vantage point is tainted!!!

IMO - Our guys "sit" on pitches, hoping to get the one they can drive. When they don't get it . . . backward K's abound!!! We take entirely too many called third strikes because we cannot adjust from the pitch we are "sitting on" when it's not delivered. This will not change until our attack attitude at the plate changes.

I also believe these guys must be taught to hit the ball where it is pitched. Quit trying to pull everything! Hit the outside pitches to the opposite field. Trying to pull outside pitches plays into the pitcher's hand and leads to weak grounders, dainty fly balls and wifs at the plate.

Ok . . . you have my 0.02 worth . . . this team can be Special !!! . . . when we hit for average and don't rely solely on the long ball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He is as we had hoped . . .

Feb 17, 2019, 4:47 PM

You hear monte say all the time “one pitch one spot”. He drills this into his players and in my opinion it is taken way too far. Like you said when that one pitch doesn’t come, they don’t have a very productive at bat. I understand they’ve only played 3 games but their approach looks exactly the same as it has the last 3 years, results aside. It could just be coincidence, first series jitters. But all the strikeouts and lack of situational hitting looks all too familiar.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2019, 4:56 PM

There were alot of ugly at bats where we get behind 0-2 in the count and then couldnt hit the pitch we were “waiting” on because it never came. That was compounded in game three by an umpire with an erratic strike zone that we never adjusted to. Instead we just kept letting him punch us out instead of taking cuts.

Feb 17, 2019, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Re: He is as we had hoped . . . ]

I feel sure "looking for your pitch" and "driving it" is indeed the approach that is encouraged by Monte.

I also feel sure this is the approach the Major Leagues take.

We will wear some teams out with this approach no doubt . . . but we will also strand a plethora of runners on any given night. It is truly a FEAST or FAMINE mentality.

I've said enough . . . I am old and have issues leaving the way I was taught.

This team will be Special regardless of my theories. ?? GO TIGERS!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He looked calm, cool, and collected. Put the ball where

Feb 17, 2019, 6:21 PM

he wanted to and didn't make many mistakes. I and those around me agreed he didn't look like a freshman. Don't know what South Abalama has right now for hitters, but he looks very promising.

Of course, it didn't hurt that the ump was much better than average. Two thirds of them are usually very inconsistent.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,372
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic