Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Morris talks quarterbacks, opportunity of playing at top-ranked Florida St.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

New Story: Morris talks quarterbacks, opportunity of playing at top-ranked Florida St.

Sep 15, 2014, 3:20 PM

Morris talks quarterbacks, opportunity of playing at top-ranked Florida St.

Much of Monday's question and answer session with offensive coordinator Chad Morris centered on Clemson's quarterback situation, but Morris also talked about the freshmen, what playing Florida St. means and what he thinks of his offensive line. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Morris talks quarterbacks, opportunity of playing at top-ranked Florida St.

Sep 15, 2014, 3:38 PM

The comment about the checks slowing us down was really interesting.

Re: New Story: Morris talks quarterbacks, opportunity of playing at top-ranked Florida St.

Sep 15, 2014, 10:31 PM

He's starting the same OL? Then all is lost.

Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM

You are such a dumper! What's he suppose to do change the whole OL ?

Guillermo is starting at center***

Sep 16, 2014, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Morris talks quarterbacks, opportunity of playing at top-ranked Florida St. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2014, 3:40 PM

Hopefully am opportunity that we don't blow. We have the potential to be a very good team this year. The main thing I want to see from the chad is sticking to something when it works. He's always been so quick to abandon something when we have good results

Sep 15, 2014, 10:34 PM

Trying to run play after play up the middle won't cut it against FSU. His remarks didn't fill me with confidence.

"...could have transferred but he loves this university"

Sep 15, 2014, 3:52 PM

Sounds like Stoudt is the starter because of loyalty, not because he is the better performer (or the harder guy for FSU to defend). I would like to hear the coaches say that Stoudt is the starter because he does X, Y, & Z better (like Dabo did when he explained why Parker beat out Boyd).

"It’s not that he [Watson] needs to be brought along slowly. It’s that the guy in front of him is the starter and has earned it and he [Stoudt] played great." -Dabo

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Swinney-addresses-Priester-dismissal-fans-Deshaun-Watson-start-12998

"He [Stoudt] has done nothing to not be the starter." -Dabo

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Swinney-Stoudt-deserves-respect-quarterback-controversy-13009

Re: "...could have transferred but he loves this university"

Sep 15, 2014, 5:39 PM

The quotes also imply, if that's the path you want to take, that Watson hasn't shown what he needs to to prove he's better all around and that he need/deserves to take over the starting job. Maybe he will, I really hope so, but I don't want to give it to a guy who clearly, at least in the eyes of those who see him every day in practice, has not earned the job. I believe I am in the minority on this board, though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does "loves this university" quote imply Stoudt is better?***

Sep 15, 2014, 6:43 PM

Re: Does "loves this university" quote imply Stoudt is better?***

Sep 15, 2014, 10:35 PM

Dang you never read to much into things do you?

Re: Does "loves this university" quote imply Stoudt is better?***

Sep 16, 2014, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Does "loves this university" quote imply Stoudt is better?*** ]

No, but the quotes that say over and over and over that Stoudt gives us the best chance of winning and is "the guy" who has earned the starting job in practice and on the field does imply that they believe, at this point at least, they think Stoudt is better. I don't care who seems to love the university the most.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2014, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Re: "...could have transferred but he loves this university" ]

Who cares?

Sep 16, 2014, 5:49 AM

slumdog, I think you comment could very well be used concerning your posts!!!! "Who cares"

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2014, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: "...could have transferred but he loves this university" ]

I never mentioned that. I don't care who may or may not have more love for Clemson. I do care about putting the one deemed to be the best player on the field out there. The coaches do not hesitate to say that it is Stoudt. It makes no difference to me. They must have a reason for saying it, though.

Can we get past this???

Sep 15, 2014, 5:56 PM [ in reply to "...could have transferred but he loves this university" ]

Stoudt is the starter, Watson will play.

All the bitching and belly aching is not going to change that.

Find something else to complain about. With this group, it should be easy.

What would YOU like to discuss? Whatever you want.***

Sep 15, 2014, 6:42 PM

Re: What would YOU like to discuss? Whatever you want.***

Sep 15, 2014, 10:37 PM

Let's discuss how many times you've been to practice

Same number of times as when Dabo played Dye over Hopkins.***

Sep 16, 2014, 3:57 PM

Re: What would YOU like to discuss? Whatever you want.***

Sep 15, 2014, 10:51 PM [ in reply to What would YOU like to discuss? Whatever you want.*** ]

The fact that that things get so personal and even insulting on this site. I'm no football expert, and there are many on this site that are far more savvy than
me. I just express my opinions as a long-term tiger fan. I respect the opinions of those who disagree with me,. and would never denigrate them with personal insults. I wish we could get past the vindictiveness.

Re: Can we get past this???

Sep 15, 2014, 10:43 PM [ in reply to Can we get past this??? ]

All the rhetoric is meaningless. It will be decided on the field. despite all the bluster and BS. I have no idea what will happen, but tend to go with Vegas odds.

Sep 15, 2014, 10:37 PM [ in reply to "...could have transferred but he loves this university" ]

The coaches will lose the game. DW is by far the best QB we have.

Sep 15, 2014, 10:46 PM

And your dumda$$ will b!tch if we win

Sep 15, 2014, 10:55 PM

You are a perfect example of which I was referring to.
Unfortunate.

Sep 16, 2014, 5:52 AM [ in reply to Re: "...could have transferred but he loves this university" ]

slumdog,reread your post here and then go back up two post and reread that one of yours. You have your answer!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why play 2 QBs in ACCCG if one is better than the other?

Sep 15, 2014, 4:02 PM

It's not like Stoudt & Watson have complementary skill sets that you bring in for different situations (like Tebow & Leak or Landry Jones & Blake "Belldozer" Bell).

This just seems more like they're trying to keep both Stoudt and Watson happy.

IDK, ask Gus Mahlzan, he's doing it to. So is Saban***

Sep 15, 2014, 5:29 PM

Auburn's Marshall is better runner & Johnson better passer.

Sep 15, 2014, 5:42 PM

Per my previous post, they provide complementary skills for different packages (like Tebow/Leak). What does Stoudt do better than Watson?

Re: Auburn's Marshall is better runner & Johnson better passer.

Sep 15, 2014, 11:12 PM

As far as I can tell, nothing. He takes away the threat
of the read option. But, he's a gamer, and I like him.
If he's in, we'll have to nickel and dime them to death with 7 to 8 yard passes----mixed in with some runs from
big Kurt Flemming and Adam Choice. Plus some hits to our tight ends. This could slow down their pass rush. When we get their DB's creeping up, hit Cheronem Peake with the long ball. It could work, especially if our D plays with controlled fury. Let's hope.

Re: Auburn's Marshall is better runner & Johnson better passer.

Sep 16, 2014, 5:53 AM

You are getting better, slumdog, that was a good post!!!

Saban has started Sims. Coker has only played garbage time.

Sep 15, 2014, 5:50 PM [ in reply to IDK, ask Gus Mahlzan, he's doing it to. So is Saban*** ]

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2197864-what-we-learned-about-alabamas-qb-competition-in-week-3
http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400547835
http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400548013
http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400548024

Sep 15, 2014, 4:11 PM

If Cole starts messing up then leave Watson in for the entire game. Why not his redshirt is gone unless he gets hurt. This offense needs a fast mobile qb to make it roll

I thought we fired Tommy Bowden and Rob Spence

Sep 15, 2014, 4:11 PM

My word.

I thought the bad old days of riding inadequate QB's until they well and truly cratered and playing the likes of Tommy Sharpe while we had Biggie Fry deadlifting the team ambulance on the sidelines in frustration were over.

I really hope this is just coachspeak and they're not going to try the same bloody gameplan and personnel package they tried against UGA because we already saw how that turned out.

This is all sounding very familiar. And not in a good way.

Yawn.....

Sep 15, 2014, 5:10 PM

These questions are terrible. Asking about the QB position and who's going to play how many snaps are sooo last week.

Hey reporters, step up your game and ask something interesting. This is garbage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beat writers are scared to ask tough questions & lose access

Sep 15, 2014, 5:32 PM

If a reporter dares to ask any kind of tough question, the AD & coaches will deny the reporters their lifeblood access to the coaches and players. Look what happened to Kornblut.

LOL!! Serious?? Keep searching and digging.***

Sep 15, 2014, 5:36 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here you go...

Sep 15, 2014, 6:26 PM

http://www.theclemsoninsider.com/2014/05/clemson-continues-to-break-traditional-role-with-media/

Bob Gillespie of the Anderson Independent Mail did a story in May about how the Clemson AD would only work with media outlets that towed the Clemson AD's sunshiny messaging. The link follows but you may need to be a subscriber as they seem to have taken that article down from general viewing.

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2014/may/20/commentary-clemson-reinventing-media-access-sports/

Found a copy of Gillespie's article here on The State....

Sep 15, 2014, 6:36 PM

http://www.thestate.com/2014/05/19/3454873/commentary-clemson-reinvents-media.html

Re: Beat writers are scared to ask tough questions & lose access

Sep 15, 2014, 5:42 PM [ in reply to Beat writers are scared to ask tough questions & lose access ]

Bad analogy. Kornblut was a known and devoted coot and very biased in his reporting. Use another example.

Sorry. I forgot the name. I meant Ron Morris, not Kornblut.

Sep 15, 2014, 5:59 PM

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/09/11/the-state-tells-its-sports-columnist-he-cant-cover-university-of-south-carolina-football/

Thus... "So what do you want me to do, Ron...?"***

Sep 15, 2014, 6:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry. I forgot the name. I meant Ron Morris, not Kornblut.

Sep 15, 2014, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Sorry. I forgot the name. I meant Ron Morris, not Kornblut. ]

### does ron morris have to do with Clemson coot

Re: Sorry. I forgot the name. I meant Ron Morris, not Kornblut.

Sep 16, 2014, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Sorry. I forgot the name. I meant Ron Morris, not Kornblut. ]

I can accept Ron Morris, but certainly not Korncoot. I think Morris is pretty fair in his reporting, as far as I know (and I admit that I know little about it), and the fact that spurlid banned him from their pressers makes me think he is a good guy and appreciate him more.

Re: Beat writers are scared to ask tough questions & lose access

Sep 15, 2014, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Beat writers are scared to ask tough questions & lose access ]

You have to be a COOT

We sound Duke when we're talking about a great oppoturnity

Sep 15, 2014, 7:01 PM

to play the #1 team in the nation.

I hate that kind of talk. If we're big time. We need to act and play like we're big time. What would some like Bob Stoops be saying if OU was playing FSU?

Spot the ball and beat the crap out of Winston for ###### that poor girl.

Refusing to Transfer ? Have to do with playing time?

Sep 15, 2014, 7:08 PM

Statements like that make you wonder who is calling the shots.

Re: Open the book on play calling

Sep 15, 2014, 7:25 PM

Don't be afraid to open the book on play calling. Don't play not to lose. Don't be conservative even when you don't have good field position. Turn it all loose, the plays. the players, the coaches. Just don't be afraid.

running backs running it more?

Sep 15, 2014, 10:07 PM

Looks like at Georgia there was little confidence in them on the goal line. Stoudt was running those keeper plays instead of handing off. Disappointing to hear these comments and no backing.

Sep 16, 2014, 5:07 PM

If you watch and listen to this interview closely and watch the body language, I think you can tell that Morris isn't being perfectly honest about starting Stoudt over Watson. He believes some of the obvious things that he says (like when he says it's a good opportunity for Stoudt). But watch the whole interview and notice how @5:09 Morris's body language changes when discussing Cole being the starter. Normally Morris looks at the reporter and looks out (not down much) and then back at the reporter with a normal blink rate. Note the frequency of all that. And note how he nods when saying stuff that he obviously believes. When he starts defending Cole as the starter, his eyes and head start darting back and forth more frequently and he starts blinking a LOT more frequently during the parts where he’s probably lying. And he doesn't nod. Heck, he blinks FIVE times in one short sentence about Deshaun! And he spends more time looking down (rather than out or looking at the reporter who asked the question). I want to play poker with this guy.

It's also odd that Morris provides a "loyalty" rationale for Stoudt but nobody else on the team. When discussing PT for other players (like JJ) he mentions specifics about how they play or grasp their jobs. (I don't remember Morris providing "loyalty" rationale for any player over the last few years.) And Dabo uses almost the exact same ("he could have transferred") language when defending Stoudt’s starter status rather than providing performance reasons like Dabo did when he explained why Parker started over Boyd.

@6:18: You’re talking about a guy, a young man that could have transferred, and because of his love for this university and everything, he’s chosen to come back. And could have transferred, sitting behind Tajh Boyd, and now he’s waited his turn.... and has played well for two ball games. And that’s gotta continue.”

@13:44: Cole is our starter. I've said that. Coach has said that. Coach has made it really clear. And again, going back to Cole... A young man that backed up Tajh Boyd for 3 years. I mean, he could have transferred and be playing. He probably could have played 2 of the last 3 years... he could have been playing somewhere... sat out a year. But he chose to stay here for the love of the university and for our program. And I think that says a lot about him.

It seems that "paid-his-dues" loyalty is a big factor here, and I’m not sure whether Morris is "all in" with the decision. Outside of garbage time or injury, Dabo didn’t swap QBs back and forth when he had 2 quality QBs in Parker & Boyd or Boyd & Stoudt. Suddenly they’re swapping 2 QBs— and it’s not situational to take advantage of complementary skill sets (like Tebow & Leak or "Belldozer" & Landry-Jones). Couple that with the body language and loyalty comments. Too much going on here.

Sep 16, 2014, 7:56 PM

Razz, you might make a pretty good interrogator for the CIA. I didn't look that closely at the interview. I just want what is best for this team. If it really is Cole, that's great, but if it really is Deshaun, then I want him to be the guy. I really don't care about dues paid. I want performance on the field. If Cole really has won the job in practice, fine, but don't give it to him because of some tenure reasoning. That dog won't hunt, and it will cost us wins. That is totally unfair to the rest of the team and to those who support the program. IMHO

"We're going to go fast and play with unbelievable tempo."

Sep 16, 2014, 6:29 PM

That's fine coach, as long as we are moving the chains. If not, you're killing our defense. I can only imagine what Coach Venables wanted to say to you in the 4th quarter of the UGA game.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic