Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
cordcutting.net.org.com
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

cordcutting.net.org.com

Jan 2, 2018, 5:57 PM

holidays are over, time to get on with it. It's been a couple of years since I've done this and a lot has changed with streaming services.

Sling? Vue? Youtube TV?

Anything else? I have a stupid TV, but I have a couple of rokus and a crzyhtpc. Would like to stream to a few devices at once (no more than 3). I'd like local channels without an antenna if at all possible. OS can't be too clunky because wife/kiddos. Would rather not have to change inputs all the time, ie. clunky.

Point me in the right direction with all the goods and bads and stupids too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roku + DIRECTV Now + Netflix.

Jan 2, 2018, 6:43 PM

Has been great for me. Tried firestick. It sucks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Roku + DIRECTV Now + Netflix.

Jan 3, 2018, 10:53 AM

I'm leaning this way. Do you get local channels with DTV Now?

Yep, oddly just not Fox.

Jan 3, 2018, 2:35 PM

CBS, ABC, NBC are all on. No Fox, yet I get Fox Sports, etc. on DTV.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, and we also have Amazon Prime.***

Jan 3, 2018, 2:35 PM

10-4. We have prime too. The hulu has been working good

Jan 3, 2018, 2:58 PM

all afternoon. I'll try the DTV next.

Waiting on cable to lower prices because of cord cutting

Jan 2, 2018, 10:28 PM

Supply and demand never seems to work in the customers favor. It's either expensive because demand is high or it's expensive because remaining customers need to cover the loss of revenue from the cord cutters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve gotten my directv and internet down to $90 total

Jan 2, 2018, 10:37 PM

by calling that number everyone was posting a month or so ago. You just have to play the game. Same as always.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not here.

Jan 2, 2018, 10:55 PM

Been a DirecTV customer forever and did the same "threaten to cancel" every year. Sometimes they wouldn't play ball and I would cancel, which resulted in a call back from retention within 48 hours and they'd always play ball.

Not this time. Cancelled, never got a call back. I've already turned the equipment back in. In doing some reading since, it's sounds like that's the new norm. It costs them much more to deliver a satellite service than a streaming one, and they're ok with people leaving, figuring they'll capture them via DirecTV now.

Truth be told I don't miss it. Haven't wanted to watch anything the I couldn't and I've noticed the family is watching much less TV. Interesting how the dynamic shifts when you want to watch something first, and go find it, versus just flipping on the TV and watching till you find something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I didn’t have a habit of setting up 3 screens in my

Jan 2, 2018, 11:25 PM

living room to watch multiple football games, it would be slightly tempting. As it is, I spend nothing on my football tickets for home games. Putting that money into satellite does fine by me.

And now that it’s as cheap as cable internet with sling, it’s tough to justify even considering a switch.

That's a strong deal. I'm switching this weekend to AT&T

Jan 2, 2018, 11:32 PM

1 Gig for $80/month, and the best I've ever done for DTV Ultimate with 4 TV's was $75 a month, so in my best month I was at $140-150 for DTV and Internet. How you getting both so cheap?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

directv thru me overboard too

Jan 2, 2018, 11:49 PM

no way can we cut the 40/month we are raising you
finally cancelled
they called
too late
got a good comcast tv/internet package $142 a month
which is what dtv was gonna charge me for tv only
will switch again if necessary

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had the mrs call. No fiber available in my area yet

Jan 2, 2018, 11:51 PM [ in reply to That's a strong deal. I'm switching this weekend to AT&T ]

She’s a wizard with things like that.

We canceled our cable yesterday.

Sep 25, 2017, 6:55 PM

We got an Apple TV for Christmas and already have Prime, Netflix, and Hulu so we'll be doing the free trials for sling, vue, etc the next couple months to see what we like, but honestly we don't even really need something till next football season now that there's a streaming service for hallmark movies my wife can sign up for.

ROH

does somebody have a link to stream the game?

Jan 3, 2018, 9:28 AM

just posting that for you in advance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These companies are going to hold internet service hostage

Jan 3, 2018, 9:50 AM

and use TV service as the ransom. AT&T already does it. Waiting on Charter to do it next. I am a Charter internet only subscriber with no complaints.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I've got Charter/Spectrum/whatever Internet Only

Jan 3, 2018, 10:18 AM

(well, i've got their $12/mo streaming local channels thing)

about to set up new service at a new crib....i'm ascared of the BS they might try to pull...

thinking about getting SheGUAR to set it up...maybe they could give us the new customer price if it's in her name instead of mine

Do it. I know of a few cases that has worked.

Jan 3, 2018, 11:24 AM

even without the address change.

Re: Do it. I know of a few cases that has worked.

Jan 3, 2018, 11:50 AM

We (and by we, I mean me) do this with Time Warner/Spectrum. Seems to be tied to phone number versus name, so we just go back and forth between her cell phone number and then to mine.

playing with the hulu+tvlive whatever it's called now

Jan 3, 2018, 12:50 PM

seems to be working good. fyi

Supposably, YouTubeTV's where it's at...IF it's at where you

Jan 3, 2018, 3:15 PM

live.

also, might have to wait a bit til the Roku app is released if you don't wanna go Chromecast

especially good reports when it comes to live sports

playing with youtubetv this afternoon. seems ok

Jan 4, 2018, 2:08 PM

I already like the layout better. haven't played with dvr though. being a little cheaper than hulu, it's already won. Especially when it Roku's.

hows the live quality compared to hulu?***

Jan 4, 2018, 2:16 PM

playing with youtubetv this afternoon. seems ok

Jan 4, 2018, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Supposably, YouTubeTV's where it's at...IF it's at where you ]

I already like the layout better. haven't played with dvr though. being a little cheaper than hulu, it's already won. Especially when it Roku's.

re: quality vs hulu since I can't see your post when I open

Jan 4, 2018, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Supposably, YouTubeTV's where it's at...IF it's at where you ]

this thread with no page 2 button....

I need to put it on the tv for a far comparison, but just bouncing around channels on the laptop it looks fine and buffers quick. I do like that I can look for other channels while the current program plays in the background. I can't find local fox affiliate. That might be a problem. Also Dr Oz is not available for streaming. I didn't even know he had a show, but that's just an observation. Don't know what other shows have the same rights or problem. I'll compare the two tonight and have a better comparison tomorrow.

Final review

Jan 5, 2018, 10:32 AM

Currently running simultaneous trials of the following 3 streaming live services.

Hulu is good, but no local live ABC for me

DTV is good, but no local live CBS for me. Really like the layout and menu though. More normal.

Youtube TV is good. Decent layout that is easy to get used to. All local channels available. Hope they get on Roku soon. Until then, using HTPCrzy.
Edit: Just noticed that local fox isn't always available. Skip Bayless was on this morning
instead of the local news. I could have sworn the local news was on yesterday evening.
more later....

I'm not too concerned about the DVR functions of each since whatever we want to record can be dialed up later (on demand) anyway.

most of this link is accurate. Except for what isn't.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-tv-vs-cable-tv-replacements,news-24578.html

Cheers Tiggers. Adios DTVsat.

Message was edited by: CUFOR98®

Y No PSVue included? I am switching to Youtube TV when

Jan 5, 2018, 11:27 AM

they hit the Roku with an app.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Y No PSVue included? I am switching to Youtube TV when

Jan 5, 2018, 4:35 PM

I thought I read that Sling didn't offer local channels. Am I wrong about that? Greenr

Re: Y No PSVue included? I am switching to Youtube TV when

Jan 5, 2018, 4:41 PM

by the way....just checked YoutubeTV again. The local Fox channel isn't running. It's "Fox net" and pulling a show from one of the Fox alternate channels. Weird.

Re: Final Final review

Jan 23, 2018, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Final review ]

DTVnow seems to be going good. I paid for all three to keep comparing. Youtube get's ignored because it's not on Roku. Apparently it's too complicated to change inputs and pick up a key board remote for my crew. Hulu is good, but again...no CBS.

My only beef (lol) with DTV is that the DVR service hasn't started yet and the 72 hr rewind isn't for anything worth a shat....like Y&R that wifey watches. If you pull it up in the archived shows, they are almost a week behind.

I direct wired the cable to the living room and have the Roku hooked to the router and performance is much better. I can go a full 13 seconds now.

Depending on your location

Jan 5, 2018, 7:35 PM

an antenna can get you lots of channels .... in HD.

And you can get some pretty good antennas cheap.

Go to www.antennaweb.org
Enter your address

It will show you where all the transmitters are located, relative to your address.

You can then input your antenna onto a HDHOMERUN. Pick the appropriate one contingent on how many different channels you want to tune at once. Then it gets a little more complicated.

You can create an Emby server and load Emby onto your Roku or Fire tv....

Bla bla bla.

There are lots of devices out there that help you create a good entertainment system. You just need very good wireless or a wired network

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Depending on your location

Jan 5, 2018, 7:35 PM

an antenna can get you lots of channels .... in HD.

And you can get some pretty good antennas cheap.

Go to www.antennaweb.org
Enter your address

It will show you where all the transmitters are located, relative to your address.

You can then input your antenna onto a HDHOMERUN. Pick the appropriate one contingent on how many different channels you want to tune at once. Then it gets a little more complicated.

You can create an Emby server and load Emby onto your Roku or Fire tv....

Bla bla bla.

There are lots of devices out there that help you create a good entertainment system. You just need very good wireless or a wired network

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Emby server?! I have an antenna ive toyed with

Jan 5, 2018, 9:24 PM

I can put antenna signal on roku!? What kind of wizardry is that!? I’m gonna be goggle my that right up. I’m in a butch of a spot for an antenna though but I haven’t tried it lately. The neighbors are doing ok with it. Might have to try it again.

Thanks for the input.

no that it's been almost 3 weeks and you've probably

Jan 23, 2018, 4:06 PM

sobered up since you poasted that...

Emby is like Plex, Plex is like Emby....slight differences. possibly cost differences.

glad i could help clear that up

lol. Thanks

Jan 23, 2018, 4:25 PM

still don't get it. 100% sober.

Plex (and Emby) are Media Server & App combos

Jan 23, 2018, 5:01 PM

backend & frontend.

I use Plex ( www.plex.tv ) it's the teats

On my compooter at home, I've got the media server software installed and running. It then takes all the media that I choose (by putting in or selecting certain folders) and disseminates it to all my devices, even remotely (I can watch movies I've downloaded, or listen to my music, OR WATCH OVER THE AIR TV I'VE RECORDED W/ PLEX here at work)

Just about every streaming device has a plex app/channel.

You can also share libraries with other plex users. I don't, because I figure my midget pron tastes might not be your midget pron tastes

there's free & paid plans....most if it is free. The Live TV/DVR is only a part of the paid sub.

I'd def look into it.

CUFOR98®

Re: Plex (and Emby) are Media Server & App combos

Jan 24, 2018, 1:44 PM

Sounds awesome. Thanks.

DGUARCHITECT

None of this seems cheaper than a 6er of Hopslam***

Jan 23, 2018, 4:35 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That ##### all rainbows and unicorn farts