Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My message to SonsofClemson is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

My message to SonsofClemson is

Aug 18, 2012, 12:41 PM

be a old school supporter of Clemson. Stop being a fickle 2012 supporter but choose to stay behind your Tigers in good and bad and for the long haul. Instead of thinking negative -- turn it around. For the first time in 20+ years we have taken the ACC. And for the first time in 20+ years we have taken in players who can compete on a national level. Are we all the way there yet? No. But we are closer than ever. Did Tiger fans abandon the Tigers when they had average or bad seasons in 1979 and 1980 after the 77-78 run? Hell no! And see where we went.

So buck up and pull your weight for the Tigers. I know you and all the others can do it if you lay aside certain negative propaganda that has been created about Clemson since the end of the TB years.

Stay loyal. Believe and do what 1000's upon 1000's of old school Tigers have done. Be there for the Tigers and give it your all.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My message to SonsofClemson is

Aug 18, 2012, 12:49 PM

I agree on most of your points. But can you not be loyal to a team and still be able to point out its flaws? Can you not be happy for an ACC Championship and, at the same time, want to correct our recent history in the rivalry and bowl games?

Being loyal and supportive and being objectively and fairly critical are not mutually exclusive propositions. You can do both.

The hivemind status quo is often more divisive than the acknowledgement of the problems. Just because a discussion may be perceived as uncomfortable doesn't make it an attack on Clemson, the coaches, or the program.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. But not to the point of becoming overly negative

Aug 18, 2012, 1:00 PM

and seeing all as meaning nothing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loyalty is NEVER being negative 90% of the time.***

Aug 18, 2012, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: My message to SonsofClemson is ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is u b speekin englsh? Them wrdz is big!

Aug 18, 2012, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: My message to SonsofClemson is ]

:) In all seriousness, I agree, but to see the glass as half empty all the time, with your own team none the less, does tend to send mixed signals. I can certainly see validity with both sides of the argument. JMO

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ah yes, the good old "objective" term...

Aug 18, 2012, 6:12 PM [ in reply to Re: My message to SonsofClemson is ]

the favorite term of the negative. It's one thing to point out flaws, it's something else entirely to obsess over them. The people that obsess over the flaws because they think "it'll make the program better" are full of it.

Re: Ah yes, the good old "objective" term...

Aug 18, 2012, 7:49 PM

I think you want to look up the term objective.

It would be having the ability to acknowledge both the good and the bad, without letting my loyalty and ties to Clemson influence my perception.

Sure, "negative" is part of that...because unless you go undefeated and win the national championship, there's always something "negative" going on.

It's not obsessing over the flaws to talk about it. You can praise the offensive scheme, wax poetic about how great a player is and criticize a lineman for not doing his job...all at the same time. You use your senses instead of emotions to make observations.

I'm not so sure it's healthy to act like talking about the negative aspects of an institution is taboo. A fanbase shouldn't be a cult, or a brainwashed population of people who don't want to speak out for fear of ostracism and social retribution.

I think history has shown us that nothing good can ever come of that.

I think you're missing the point

Aug 18, 2012, 8:02 PM

If this article was the first article ever written by STS, it'd be fine. You're right, it's good to talk about good and the bad. What he's saying, and I agree, is that STS sounds like a broken record talking about the same problems they have with the football program over and over and over and over and over again. That's obsessing and it's really getting old over there. It certainly isn't objective.

Re: I think you're missing the point

Aug 18, 2012, 8:16 PM

Gotcha.

I didn't really miss the point, I was talking more or less about the fans in general, and the general expectation on T-Net that people not say anything negative.

Not necessarily defending STS, as I said in the other thread that they can be douchey.

Yeah, fans on here are either one extreme or the

Aug 18, 2012, 8:19 PM

other. Wish there were more middle ground people. I know there are in general, just not here lol.

confused as to why we're being called out?

Aug 18, 2012, 1:13 PM

what in the world makes you think we don't support our Tigers through the good and the bad??? What in the world have we said that makes you think that we're not headed in the right direction? There are TONS of good going on with this program. There are still some bad spots. The thing is, people on here think it's bad to even remotely discuss those bad spots.

We'll be in ATL for the umpteenth time after we say we're never going back... we'll be setting up tailgate bright and early Saturday morning and won't have a voice by the last whistle. Get off your high horse before you call someone out about supporting the Clemson Tigers.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER- http://twitter.com/#!/SonsOfClemson

Because no matter how much people don't want to make

Aug 18, 2012, 1:23 PM

the distinction--as in the article you posted, Dabo Swinney is not Tommy Bowden. Bowden failed in a decade to win the conference or take Clemson anywhere in a positive direction. Swinney has won 2 Atlantic titles, an ACC title, and has gone to a BCS bowl. He has also garnered more positive media exposure (than negative) in one year than Bowden did in 10. People all over the country know about Clemson.

Now, because of the score in the OB bowl we can all see we still have ground to make up. But, there is NO DOUBT that Dabo has set his eyes on the top and he has produced here unlike Bowden. So when you post stuff like this I do not see what the point is -- if you are behind the Clemson Tigers going forward!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Re: Because no matter how much people don't want to make

Aug 18, 2012, 6:36 PM

also dont forget we are one year removed from a losing season , dont forget Dabo hired Steele , promoted Napier and fired Koenning never developed a WR as the WR coach and has a losing record to GT and USC . to compare Dabo and Tommy is apple and oranges seeing that Tommy had nothing to build upon after West . Dabo can recruit.....and he is not afraid to fire coordinators , now will he fire Batson and change our surgeons and trainers so that situations like Ricky Sapp , DaQuan Bowers , Willy Korn , JK Jay , Cullen Harper , Kenneth Paige , Tavares Barnes , Rennie Moore , Kortnei Brown , Justin Parker , Antoine McClaine , Jamie Harper just to name a few are prevented ?

I don't believe Dabo has the authority to fire Batson...

Aug 18, 2012, 7:12 PM

As for the surgeons and trainers, I'm not sure how that would prevent ALL of those injuries from happening in the first place. Could those injuries have been handled better by a different trainer or S&C coach? I have no clue. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about any of those three lines of work, but to place blame on surgeons or trainers when kids get hurt playing big time CFB is a little over the top. I'm not too sure Dabo can fire a surgeon who works for a hospital either. I understand there was surely some sarcasm in your post but the points remain the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't believe Dabo has the authority to fire Batson...

Aug 18, 2012, 7:19 PM

you are probably right considering Batson is related to an alum and Dabo will never cross that line , and since Batson is SO WONDERFUL why did we hire a guy to work with the oline?

I don't ever recall calling Batson, "SO WONDERFUL".

Aug 18, 2012, 7:48 PM

I stated that I didn't claim to know enough about any of the three fields of work to say they were or were not doing the job to the best of their or anyone else's ability. We probably hired a guy to work with the oline because he is an oline coach, where as Batson is a S&C coach/trainer. Oh yea, and because Batson doesn't work under Dabo.

Message was edited by: TigerGrant8®

Never developed a WR?

Aug 18, 2012, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Because no matter how much people don't want to make ]

You lost all credibility there

Jacoby Ford got better every year here
Aaron Kelly - all time ACC reception leader
Chansi Stuckey - converted QB who made First Team all ACC even with Calvin Johnson automatically taking the other spot
Tyler Grisham - very good WR and still in the NFL
Airese Currie - first team All ACC when Dabo was his coach

think about that again

Re: Never developed a WR?

Aug 18, 2012, 7:17 PM

I would say that each one of those guys had that talent when they arrived and a couple were never used to their potential

Aug 18, 2012, 7:23 PM

That would be a cop out since Stuckey changed positions and Airese's best success was when Dabo coached him.

Aug 18, 2012, 7:31 PM

Stuckey was an athlete no matter the positiion and Curry went on to .......

Kinda hard to "make it" in the NFL when you end up on IR

Aug 18, 2012, 8:11 PM

your first two seasons, which happened to Currie. Not sure why it is hard for you to say Swinney was a good WR coach and developed his players

Most high schools best athlete is the QB, and more QBs switc

Aug 19, 2012, 12:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Never developed a WR? ]

positions in college than any other player. Most become WRs, some DBs. Then many QBs in college switch to WR in the pros, a la Charlie Waters. Stuckey was incredibly talented.

Those guys were all very talented and Curry was a top 5 WR

Aug 19, 2012, 12:13 AM [ in reply to Never developed a WR? ]

coming out of high school. Grisham is a blue collar guy. Dabo sucked as a WR coach. Scott is doing a far better job despite being much younger & less experienced. If Dabo was worth a crap someone would have hired him after he was fired at Bama. It speaks volumes when you consider his only 2 coaching jobs were his alma mater and TB, his position coach at Bama. TB hired hi not because he could coach, but because he was loyal. TB would still be here had he been a better personnel manager.

Don't let your hatred show too much now

Aug 19, 2012, 12:50 AM

Dabo was a bad WR coach and all those guys were very talented without him. Yet, Jeff Scott is doing the better job. We all know Sammy is by far the most talented WR Clemson has had in a long time. That argument goes both ways. Dabo had 5 first or second team All ACC guys that he coached at WR.

Re: Don't let your hatred show too much now

Aug 19, 2012, 7:47 PM

You might as well save your breath. There are people on here that will never give Dabo credit for anything. Their blind hate drives them or else because they didn't get their choice as head coach.

What are you smoking? Are you serious? Clemson was in

Aug 19, 2012, 12:06 AM [ in reply to Because no matter how much people don't want to make ]

shambles with very little talent and outdated facilities when TB got here. TB could easily have won a few ACC titles had it not been for incredibly bad luck. He owned USC. You pumpers were on here for years saying TB was only "one play away" and defending him saying it was not his fault we dropped a game winning TD pass or had a game winning TD called back because our guys lined up wrong. TB was staunchly defended on TNET in years 8 & 9. Even in year 10 as things were falling apart much of TNET was defending him.

The program TB inherited versus the program TB left were night and day. We were grossly underachieving under TB, and still are under Dabo. Dabo himself said all the pieces are in place to win NOW and all that is needed is an oil change.

Re: What are you smoking? Are you serious? Clemson was in

Aug 19, 2012, 3:37 PM

Name a SC team that was better than the coots now? Yeah TB owned the crappy coots. Dabo hasn't had the luxury to face the 1-11 and 0-12 coots

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because no matter how much people don't want to make

Aug 19, 2012, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Because no matter how much people don't want to make ]

Join IPTAY..... $$$ brings amazing success.
Clemson is a small university in comparison with much of the sports world ... but still the best. This academic and athletic that is being stressed so much by our administration will soon pay off big time. Be a part of it if you aren't already.

SONSOFCLEMSON, i agree completely

Aug 18, 2012, 7:55 PM [ in reply to confused as to why we're being called out? ]

Your twitter page is annoying as crap. You guys are the most negative Clemson fans i know of.

Re: My message to SonsofClemson is

Aug 18, 2012, 4:08 PM

it was not started at the end of the TB era , STS has been around for a while . there are just some people the got their pink panties in a wad because they were booted from the site and here is evidence that

1. STS has been around for a while

2. its DrBs site and runs it the way he wants

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2008/09/new-blog.html

Re: DOSE OF REALITY

Aug 19, 2012, 7:51 AM

THANKS FOR A VERY GOOD POST. HAVE BEEN ON TIGERNET A FEW YEARS AND AM OFTEN UPSET AT JUST HOW MANY FAIR WEATHER FANS CLEMSON HAS. FAR TOO MUCH PESSIMISM FOR ME.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CLEMSAM

Actually, in the 70's people did abandon Clemson

Aug 19, 2012, 2:20 PM

There were a lot of Saturdays in Death Valley back then where if you did not like where you were sitting you just got up and moved because of all the empty seats. It was not until after the NC that support really soared.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic