Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It will be interesting to see who wins the quarterback
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

It will be interesting to see who wins the quarterback

Jan 16, 2014, 11:08 AM

battle this year. Who would you rather see behind center, as of right now I am thinking Stoudt...It will be interesting to see how quick Watson progresses and Kelley just hasn't seemed to be on par with Stoudt, but maybe I'm wrong, I think it is definitely going to be an interesting battle though.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Might be as much tied to the RB production as anything

Jan 16, 2014, 11:11 AM

If the RBs are as nasty as I hope then Cole might be the better option.

I don't think Dabo or Morris want to eliminate the threat...

Jan 16, 2014, 11:26 AM

of a running QB from the offense.

Just one more thing defenses have to prepare to stop.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: It will be interesting to see who wins the quarterback

Stoudt will, but Kelly will play too. I think certain plays will be used for Kelly to come in and run.

It depends on who emerges at RB

If we get a big back out of Dye or Gallman (or Brooks if he's healthy), go with Stoudt. If we still need the constant threat of a running QB, Kelly should work to be #1.

Clemson

Think Adam Choice will have an immediate impact as a freshma

Jan 16, 2014, 11:12 AM

?

Re: Think Adam Choice will have an immediate impact as a freshma

Jan 16, 2014, 11:16 AM

I doubt it, unless some go down with injury. With Dye, Gallman, Davidson, Howard and Brooks in the mix....it will be hard to find to much room.

Agreed. Dye and Brooks would have to both be limited***

Jan 16, 2014, 11:21 AM

Clemson

Adam Choice reminds me of..............

Jan 16, 2014, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Think Adam Choice will have an immediate impact as a freshma ]

Chansi Stuckey, an outstanding H.S.QB from Warner-Robbins ,who we converted to a NFL drafted WR. IF Choice is buried on the chart as a RB, don't be surprised if he turns some heads at WR.

You may see Stoudt and Kelley split time at QB

Jan 16, 2014, 11:23 AM

Stoudt is the better passer IMO while Kelley is more mobile and the better runner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

IMO,

Jan 16, 2014, 11:26 AM

it's a crying shame Chad and Cole are on the same team. Unfortunately for Cole the casting for this role doesn't look good for him.

This is Chad's team and I'd be surprised to see Cole get the nod. Like I said, it's just in my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if it's based on 'fit' to thechad's system, i'd say swag

Jan 16, 2014, 11:32 AM

will have the upper hand going into the spring based on both having +++ time in the system & swag being healthy again.

hopefully both take care of the ball, if one doesn't, i'd imagine that would be a "deal breaker".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IMO,

Jan 16, 2014, 11:38 AM [ in reply to IMO, ]

The role of the QB is to move the team down the field and score. Cole played on about 17-20 drives this year. Only 3 times did they fail to score a TD. I remember on several occasions the announcer commented that with Cole in, the offensive pace actually picked up! He also had several nice runs, 3 in particular against the Ga. Tech #1 defense.
Move the chains and get the ball delivered quickly to the open receiver. The guys who can really run with the ball. Why beat up the QB if you don't need to. A QB must run well enough to be a threat and keep linebackers honest. That opens the running lanes and passing lanes for the real athletes. IMO Cole will only get better at directing the team with each game.

completely agree with cole in the offense just seemed to

Jan 16, 2014, 11:43 AM

click and role. Kelley is still a great quarterback though.

Agree about Cole but I think we'll see both and that's good.***

Jan 16, 2014, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: IMO, ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole can run some and pass a lot

Jan 16, 2014, 11:41 AM [ in reply to IMO, ]

With the RBs we have, I think Cole is the obvious choice going into Spring practice. Who knows what happens after that, but the guy is a great passer with an excellent pedigree.

In this situation, whoever wins it

Jan 16, 2014, 11:41 AM

the backup will be the most popular man on the team by about game three.

Here's the way I see it . . .

Jan 16, 2014, 11:45 AM

Stoudt has been in the system the longest and has by far the most real-game experience. While he has never been "the man" and had it all on his shoulders, he has been in a few times when the game was still on the line, and looked fantastic every chance he got in mop-up duty this past year. He has a good arm, throws a nice spiral, and has shown great touch. He is the hands down favorite going into spring.

Kelly was hand picked by Morris. He appears to be a better runner, much more mobile and suited to the Morris offense than Stoudt in that regard. He was a great HS QB, and looked very good in the spring game before hurting his knee, and has performed well in very limited game action coming off of injury. Still, we haven't seen nearly enough of him to know how he performs, or how he will respond in real game situations, at least not nearly as much as Stoudt. For that reason, he is still a bit of a question mark. Will his athletic and running ability be enough to make up for his experience disadvantage to Stoudt? Can he make all of the throws and make good decisions under pressure? We don't know.

If Watson comes in and wins the job . . . great! Don't expect it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Here's the way I see it . . .

Jan 16, 2014, 12:07 PM

good recap. we have seen so little of Kelly throwing it is hard to say how good he is. Most of his has been handing off and running it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt is the leader in the clubhouse.

Jan 16, 2014, 12:07 PM

Whoever turns it over the least is who I favor. I'm sick of bad decisions in big games. Stoudt is EXTREMELY accurate, goes through his progressions quickly, and doesn't hesitate to hit his checkdowns. Those are his pros. His cons are that he is a good runner, but not a great runner, AND he turned it over twice [fumbles] in limited action, when he was sacked and the ball was stripped.

Kelly looks to be an excellent runner and reads the zone read well. Haven't seen enough of him throwing to know about his passing. This I DO know about him; he's a fierce competitor, and will not give up the starting job to Stoudt w/o a huge fight.

Watson, well, who knows? Hasn't played a down against college competition. I saw him once in a high school game, and he was a man among boys. Zips it down the field with little effort, and runs like a deer.

It will be a heckuva competition this spring and fall, and I'll pull like crazy for whoever starts in Athens on August 30th. I'll trust the coaches to make the right decision. I would hope that one of the two upperclassmen wins the job, and Watson redshirts. However, it may be part of his deal that he signed with us that he WILL NOT be redshirted. Seems to be the way things are nowadays with the more highly recruited players, especially the skill position guys.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic