Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
coach brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

coach brownell

Jan 23, 2017, 7:29 AM

i have a theory. brad is a very good defensive coach. for the last few years all we have heard is how boring and unimaginative we are. i think brad has listened to the fans to much and gotten away from what he is good at. teaching defense. we are 100 times better on o this year. tony bennett has an offense at uva that is not very exciting. dont see uva fans complaining about their style of play. the year of the nit run we packed the joint at the end. you know why, because we were winning. as they say good defense beats good offense. brad has gotten away from what he teaches best. and it is probably gonna cost him his job.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's not really a good scheme or strategy coach.

Jan 23, 2017, 7:35 AM

and he can't recruit basketball players that have anywhere near complete skill sets. His talents were oversold.

It is nobody's fault but his. It's not yours. It's not mine. It's his.

And it's Radakovich's for not realizing it sooner and giving him the green light to recruit transfers to buy time. The year after we lost KJ, the bottom fell out.

We should have let him go after that season and gotten someone with the charisma, passion, energy and vision to recruit and develop a good basketball program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He's not really a good scheme or strategy coach.

Jan 23, 2017, 7:58 AM

LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL GET THEIR WISH. hopefully drad can pull a rabbit out of the hat. we aint exactly a basketball mecca if you havent noticed.

If we could just return to the level of his predecessor

Jan 23, 2017, 8:42 AM

and then build on that success, Clemson fans would be ecstatic.

I have to laugh at the excuses, though. His predecessor accomplished what he did with less to work with than the current coach, yet so many use facilities and fan support as a Brownell crutch. The overall lack of coherent offensive and defensive philosophies, strategy and in game coaching acumen should have been evident to all much sooner.

I was ready for his predecessor to move on and happy when he left because I didn't think he could take the next step, and thought we could find a better coach to take us there, but we replaced him with someone who lacked the leadership, vision and ability to even maintain the level of success we had achieved to the point where many fan's expectations of our program have cratered over the course of the last 6 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: coach brownell

Jan 23, 2017, 8:06 AM

So you're saying he can't Coach a complete team only one or the other?
Doesn't make sense

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Brad changed the way he coached because he

Jan 23, 2017, 8:10 AM

listened to the fans too much then he has no business coaching any team, not just at Clemson. Your theory is absurd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Are you saying democracy doesn't work?

Jan 23, 2017, 8:18 AM

Sounds like that's what you're saying, coot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Don't call him a Coot.............a little cootish, yes, but

Jan 23, 2017, 8:22 AM

he ain't a Coot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe you're right...

Jan 23, 2017, 8:31 AM

he's prolly a browns fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: If Brad changed the way he coached because he

Jan 23, 2017, 8:25 AM [ in reply to If Brad changed the way he coached because he ]

hence why he will probably be fired. shocking that you would not agree with anything i said. just shocking.

I agree with everything you said except for your theory

Jan 23, 2017, 8:53 AM

about Brad changing his coaching style because of pressure from fans. Clemson is 3rd in the ACC in steals per game and 33rd in the country. But then we're 106th in the country in scoring defense (before yesterday's game, so that number has probably gotten worse). So why are we creating a lot of turnovers but giving up so many points? I think there's two big reasons for that, one is 3-pointers, we're 166th in 3-pt defense, and the second reason is perhaps the most glaring...rebounding. We're 276th in rebound margin coming in at a whopping -2.2.

So, let me ask you this, do you really think CBB stopped putting emphasis on rebounding and 3-pt defense because the fans wanted to see more offense? Because clearly our defense is doing a good job at forcing turnovers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I agree with everything you said except for your theory

Jan 23, 2017, 9:00 AM

come on man, our defense blows. worse than bad. and i am a brownell supporter.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that

Jan 23, 2017, 9:16 AM

I've been saying for years our head coach needs to go. Every single year it's the same thing, winning streaks that make me think we've got a tourney team, then losing streaks that make us miss the NIT. Our team played hard for a good number of games this season but now it's like they've just quit and don't care.

Jan 23, 2017, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I agree with everything you said except for your theory ]

Big what if- But what if BB knows he has more offensive fire power this year and has changed his coaching style a little to better suit them. The defense is not as good as it has been in years past- but some of these guys are transfers and didn't come up in the BB STIFLING defense coaching years. As GWP pointed out- and this is so frustrating - the 3 point defense coverage is awful. Get out there and cover someone. What if BB is trying to transition to a more offensive game and this is growing pangs? Just spit balling.

Jan 23, 2017, 11:37 AM

*growing pains* WTH

Has getting into passing lanes going for steals gotten us

Jan 23, 2017, 9:12 AM [ in reply to I agree with everything you said except for your theory ]

out of position, hurting our perimeter defense and rebounding? (currently 295th in the country in defensive rebounding percentage)

Couple that with the fact that we just don't have the horses under the board and we don't have the atheticism and length on the perimeter to be a good defensive and rebounding team.

You obviously missed CBB's pole on TigerNet back in October?***

Jan 23, 2017, 8:48 AM [ in reply to If Brad changed the way he coached because he ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

What if he changed the way he coached because what he's been

Jan 24, 2017, 7:27 AM [ in reply to If Brad changed the way he coached because he ]

doing ain't working.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3/10***

Jan 23, 2017, 8:18 AM

plain and simple: CAN'T RECRUIT...

Jan 23, 2017, 8:23 AM

the type of players that it takes to make an immediate impact

yes, some of his recruits get looks for other respectable programs...

- but we have little to zero chance if UNC or Duke throw their hat in the ring with a recruit

- routinely lose recruits to VCU, Ivy League schools (Jordan Bruner?), or schools far away (Jawun Evans / Tevin Mack)

- have a large number of recruits who transfer out, who do well elsewhere (Filer, Devin Coleman, TJ sapp...)

- doesn't play the type of ball that gets kids excited to sign at clemson. OP couldn't win in the tourney and quit, but at least was entertaining to watch. Didn't expect the typical 7 min drought that happens with BB , routinely

WELL PAST TIME FOR A CHANGE

And get a coach who can recruit at a big time level. Not sure Wade is that person yet to be honest.

I'm sure there's a Kentucky - Kansas - UNC - etc has a coach in waiting that could at least bring talent in

But this was his "most talented team"! Problem is coach!***

Jan 23, 2017, 9:14 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is some merit in what you're saying

Jan 23, 2017, 8:28 AM

Brad is a defensive minded coach. Admittedly when he first got here, he got the most out of the talent we had and then some. He was good at taking teams with limited skill sets and making them competitive and winning games that we probably had no business winning.

However I think he saw that in the ACC, having mediocre talent and a grind it out defensive philosophy was only going to take you so far because all the good teams have go-to player that can get their own shots against a good defense. Even Tony Bennet's UVa teams have had All-ACC calibur offensive players Like Brogden, Justin Anderson, and now London Perrantes capable of scoring 20+ if necessary.

The offensive talent of this team has clearly been elevated, but it does seem like Brad doesn't know what to do with it. There appears to be little in terms of offensive scheme. Teams have taken away the option of moving the ball through Blossomgame and when that's not there we settle for deep or contested threes or rushed dribble drives. Defense now appears to be an afterthought. We can't stop dribble penetration and give up and unfathomable number of uncontested layups or open perimeter shots when trying to switch off to defend dribble penetration.

I agree that Brownell just doesn't seem to know how to coach an offensive minded basketball team. It seems to go against his nature. I'm just not sure he's the right coach for ACC talent. He'll probably go back to a mid-major program and have success again with the limited talent they have in those leagues, but I just don't think his schemes and philosophy mesh with offensive ability we now have.

Re: There is some merit in what you're saying

Jan 23, 2017, 8:35 AM

thanks, you wrote it way better than me. lol

Damm DE - point for the impressive sincerity & humility.

Jan 23, 2017, 11:05 PM

Afraid you are both right ... it's the end of the trail.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you recall, we struggled early on in his first year as he

Jan 23, 2017, 8:53 AM [ in reply to There is some merit in what you're saying ]

tried to play a slow down half court game with a team built to press and run. It was only after he changed that up that we started to win. He's not good at adapting his style to the talent available.

We were a more talented team his first year than we are now in year 7 with a low post presence that could score and rebound and a point guard that could shoot, break you down off the dribble and get to the basket as well as create opening for others. Demontez Stitt, Jerai Grant, Tanner Smith and Andre Young were more consistent crunch time scorers than anybody on the current team with the possible exception of JB, though that could be argued.

~this~***

Jan 23, 2017, 9:16 AM [ in reply to There is some merit in what you're saying ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent post!

Jan 23, 2017, 10:40 PM [ in reply to There is some merit in what you're saying ]

I agree about Brownell getting a lot out of his teams, to the point where we clearly overachieved every year based on our talent disadvantage. This year is the one exception to that trend, as we seem to be underperforming relative to our talent. Don't get me wrong, we are still far less talented than UNC, Duke, Virginia, etc., but we are more talented than we have been and can't seem to get over the hump.

For whatever reason, we just can't seem to put complete games together this year. It is very frustrating, and despite being a faithful Brownell supporter during his tenure, I acknowledge that it is time for a change.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

so,

Jan 23, 2017, 9:15 AM

you think a coach that makes millions of dollars adjusted his coaching style to suit the fans?? you want to believe what you have witnessed the last 3 yrs is a direct result of a very good coach that was influenced by the fans?? gotcha.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

deroberts, I actually blame our poor defense on Brownell's

Jan 23, 2017, 10:41 AM

wife:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/03/05/college-scoring-struggles-may-start-on-recruiting-trail/?utm_term=.843556b76905

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

To be fair..

Jan 23, 2017, 11:53 AM

CBB lost KJ McDaniels after KJ's JR year a ways back. CBB was kind of blindsided having a college basketball player not stay all 4 years. That was a tough blow to the program as many consistently pointed out. If people could just be more patient I think we can turn he corner in a year or two. Stay the course. I think we're on to something here. Robertin needs more time to develop.

This joke isn't funny anymore.

Jan 23, 2017, 10:42 PM

People like you and Snowtown have used this way too much. Time to retire it.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: This joke isn't funny anymore.

Jan 23, 2017, 11:10 PM

Agreed....this is just stupid and childish now.

I don't know why you can't do both

Jan 23, 2017, 7:07 PM

Our offense is good ... looks like we score plenty of points, its just that lately, the others teams always score a bit more. Thus, start playing good defense so the other team doesn't score as many points as you.

Brad simply does not have the players or cannot coach up the

Jan 23, 2017, 8:43 PM

players

to execute winning possessions on a consistent basis -

and I would say that is happening both on the offensive and defensive side this year.

Case in point: finally cut the lead to 1, I believe, with about 3 minutes to go and we get possession.

What does Grantham do but come down, dribble several times left of the foul line,

then hoist up a fall away jumper with a guy in fairly good defensive position -

without a single pass being made after half-court.

May have been the worst shot I have ever seen taken by a collegiate basketball player.

Later, down by 2 or 3 I think, JB drives into the lane and ends up 1-on-2 in the post.

What does he do? Give up the dribble, and have to hoist a shot leaning in that actually gets blocked by both players

instead of being able to go up strong and finish or draw a foul - or being able to pass out of the double-team.

These are the two players who had the whole summer to think about the skills they would need to move onto the next level

and this is what they have been able to learn.

Brad has talented athletes, but he doesn't have tremendously skilled basketball players.

Most of all though they don't exhibit the basketball IQ to be able to make winning plays in the crunch.

We'll never have enough athletes at Clemson to run with the UNC's - and win.

We ned players - like those at UVA - who can win the 2 point game in the 70's by finishing plays effectively....

little has changed sine the last 2 years.

Available talent has nothing to do with it...

Coach Brownell is a Clemson-made multi-millionaire

Jan 23, 2017, 11:00 PM

He will be fine. In fact dandy. His pride will take a small hit. Then he and the wife will take a trip to Anguilla and relax for a few weeks. Coach Brownell will be refreshed quickly. While he cashes his Clemson buy-out checks, he will get some MAC or WAC interest and get back in the game at a lower level and probably with better success.

The question we care about is what will Rad do next? How much money will he spend on HC salary and who will he interview and hire? Que sera sera and Go Tigers!

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic