Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question about BB coaching search??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Serious question about BB coaching search??

Jan 22, 2019, 10:01 PM

Clemson has had incredible success hiring football coaches with Alabama ties ( Howard, Ford, Sweeney). Not sure about Howard, but Ford and Sweeney learned first hand what a top tier program is all about. How it's built, what it takes, how to prepare and how to compete. Wouldn't it make sense to use that approach with BB?? Bring in a young up and coming coach who played at Duke or at one of the other traditional powers? Somebody with name recognition that can recruit , but young enough to have fire in his belly and a desire to build his own legacy!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question about BB coaching search??

Jan 22, 2019, 10:22 PM

Well if that same coach took us to 1-4 in conference play we wouldn’t be any worse off. At some point it rest with the Head Ball Coach, if not then who?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

can’t hurt***

Jan 22, 2019, 10:28 PM

Re: can’t hurt***

Jan 22, 2019, 10:37 PM

Honestly, it all starts with recruiting. We need somebody... anybody that these young kids would get excited to come and play for. How about an Ex- NBA great who needs an extra $2M a year ? Where's Horace Grant? Anybody got any names?? Who's the best former Duke or UNC player in coaching??

Jan 22, 2019, 10:38 PM [ in reply to can’t hurt*** ]

Honestly, it all starts with recruiting. We need somebody... anybody that these young kids would get excited to come and play for. How about an Ex- NBA great who needs an extra $2M a year ? Where's Horace Grant? Anybody got any names?? Who's the best former Duke or UNC player in coaching??

Jan 22, 2019, 10:40 PM

I don't think HS kids even know who Horace Grant is.

Jan 22, 2019, 10:50 PM [ in reply to Re: can’t hurt*** ]

That approach hasn't worked very well for Wake which has a better BB tradition.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jan 22, 2019, 10:35 PM

Coach Howard was a great coach. Remember before 73 there were no scholly limits. That’s how bama or a Michigan could play you with twice the fb players. It was all about money and big money in them days wasn’t in little ole Clemson. So for Coach Howard to win like he did and beat the big fellas was a huge accomplishment.

I really consider blue blood teams from 70’s to current. Level playing field to a certain degree.

Now, to your question about b-ball coach. Imho, looks like we could recruit 10 great athletes and teach them how to play basketball and win as much if not more than we do now. No coach required. Yeah that’s dumb it down but I hope you get the point.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 10:48 PM

CBB has been inconsistent to say the least, but until he had a decent LJC as a facility he was at a huge recruiting disadvantage! Our history, especially before Cliff Ellis hurt significantly as well. Our greatest loss was Rick Barnes. Brownell can teach and is peer respected, but who would be willing to follow a coach who is fired or reassigned despite the second most wins in Clemson BB history? I suspect next year could prove to be a decisive one, but I wonder what is going on within the current team? We obviously lack a scoring threat beyond Reed and that hurts!

I give Brownell one more season to recruit and develop, but DRad needs to really demand better results or make a change after next season. Brownell is a fine person who clearly loves Clemson, but the end results aren’t indicative of the potential of his program. He has enough experienced talent to have better outcomes thus far. The ACC did him no favors on the schedule, but by now the staff has to know what needs to improve or NIT is the final outcome which is truly disappointing!

I wish CBB and staff well, but something is obviously not working!

Go Tigers ??!!

Jan 22, 2019, 10:58 PM

We do not want anyone from or named Dookie......Roll Tigers!!!!

Jan 22, 2019, 11:10 PM

I agree with one guy on here when he said Dan R should go the same rout as Terry Don with football. Get a young ex nba player with knowledge and respect for the game. Someone the kids will want to come take a risk with and play for. Players have been transferring out year after year with Brownell. Its a tough job recruiting in an area with minimal free talent available. Let's be real any good players in our state go to UNC or Duke or Kentucky or now Tennessee as of this years class. We couldn't even get Zion to pull the trigger when his step dad (who taught him the game and coached him) went to Clemson. The question is how do we fix our current problems with basketball which for one is lack of shooting. Zero threat behind the arc this year. Worst shooting team in the ACC stats back that. I say you go recruit a ton of Sharp shooters. Purnell did that with KC Rivers and Oglesby. Just have to get out and find them. Which Brad hasn't been able to do from a recruiting standpoint. His evaluation of talent makes me want to put in a resume. He's that bad at it. Luckly some transfers have fixed those holes.

Jan 23, 2019, 4:22 PM

The tide turned for Tiger football when superstar CJ Spiller came to Clemson.

Brad probably figured that Zion, with a highly experienced back court to work with, would do the same for his program, finally pushing it to the next level, and making the recruiting of top talent MUCH easier going forward . But he didn't close the deal and now it's back to square one, recruiting wise.

Brad is a great guy and he's an excellent basketball coach, but he's not a salesman. And that is what's needed to achieve success in recruiting: salesmanship.

Will Wade...

Jan 23, 2019, 10:55 AM

a Clemson alum who is coaching at LSU

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic