Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
July 2015 was warmest month ever recorded for the globe.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 79
| visibility 968

July 2015 was warmest month ever recorded for the globe.

Aug 21, 2015, 11:37 AM

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/summary-info/global/201507

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I spent a lot of it in Lake Keowee.***

Aug 21, 2015, 11:39 AM

What about in 1799?

Aug 21, 2015, 11:42 AM

I think maybe July 1799 was hotter

Records only go back to 1880.***

Aug 21, 2015, 11:54 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pfffft. Records only go back to 2010.

Aug 21, 2015, 11:57 AM

Ask a chicken fan.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ed Zachary my point!***

Aug 21, 2015, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Records only go back to 1880.*** ]

Which is part of the problem with the man-made global warmin

Aug 22, 2015, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Records only go back to 1880.*** ]

g thesis.

We don't know more than a sliver of natural science... yet we scream with certainty that we know what causes the Earth to get warmer. How many millions of unknown variables must there be?

One thing we do know is that Global warming has happened several times before industrialization. Yet it can't happen again unless it's BECAUSE of industrialization?

The Earth is a lot smarter and tougher than neo-liberals give it credit for. When humans abuse their environment too much, humans will be culled from many areas of the Earth. Don't feel sorry for nature... it always wins.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Which is part of the problem with the man-made global warmin

Aug 22, 2015, 5:31 PM
20150805P.jpg(317.9 K)

El Nino pictured below and PDO or Pacific Decadal Oscillation is causing some of the warming this year. When the Pacific warms, it does affect the entire earth, the Pacific takes up 1/3 of the globe.

Many of us predicted 2015 and 2016 would be some of the warmest ever recorded and that 2015 would be another season of hurricanes having a hard time forming in the Atlantic.

Also, there is no consensus whatsoever that the PDO is caused by humans, but there are many theories. The PDO also helps to accelerate warming around the globe.

I do believe we're partly to blame but much of it is also natural.

To point out, el ninos have been noticed since the 1600's but they won't actually studied until the late 1800's.

I don't know how familiar you are with el Nino and PDO but if you're a weather geek like me, you may be interested in studying it ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the info. I will look into it.***

Aug 22, 2015, 6:15 PM

Re: Thanks for the info. I will look into it.***

Aug 24, 2015, 8:10 AM

I'm glad that July heat wave is over. No more 100+ for many of us the rest of the year. (Sc)

And August may end up being cooler than normal for many people around the globe ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Someone who is 30 might not know how this effects us.

Aug 23, 2015, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Which is part of the problem with the man-made global warmin ]

I've seen several El Ninos, I'm 63 yrs old.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but do they make an adjustment for today's

Aug 23, 2015, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Records only go back to 1880.*** ]

social climate? there has to be a 5 degree adjustment just based on Twitter.

And?***

Aug 21, 2015, 11:43 AM

Re: And?***

Aug 21, 2015, 12:06 PM

And this winter is likely to have some of the coldest temps ever recorded.

Re: And?***

Aug 21, 2015, 1:15 PM [ in reply to And?*** ]

It's an interesting data point on the state of our climate.

It is? One month? And when we have record snow....

Aug 21, 2015, 2:34 PM

let me guess...also climate change?

Come on, statistically one month is meaningless. Also, it's the trend that matters, not a single data point.

Heck, I have no contention that the earth is currently on a warming trend and I still object to folks using single days or months as some how relevant all by itself to prove whatever point.

Re: It is? One month? And when we have record snow....

Aug 21, 2015, 2:49 PM

> Come on, statistically one month is meaningless. Also, it's the trend that matters, not a single data point.

Are you missing the point that it's the warmest month since we've been recording? That is taking the whole data set into account, not just single month.

This is just another piece of the puzzle. I didn't say this alone definitively proves global warming, we have plenty of other evidence that shows it's happening.

If you are trying to refute global warming is an issue, you are barking up the wrong tree. If global evidence is wrong that means that all of our evidence is off or has been misinterpreted. So until that it shown to be the case, the most reasonable position is to follow the data.

> Heck, I have no contention that the earth is currently on a warming trend and I still object to folks using single days or months as some how relevant all by itself to prove whatever point.

Again, you're trying to make a fuss where there is none. Nobody is relying on this data point alone.

I mean that measuring a single month year-over-year....

Aug 21, 2015, 2:56 PM

is not so important.

Avg yearly temp is more important.

For example, what if June was the coldest in the last 10 yrs?

Re: I mean that measuring a single month year-over-year....

Aug 21, 2015, 3:00 PM

I agree. I just think this one is particularly intriguing because it's the warmest of all the data.

I agree with your logic, I think we are on the same page.

Re: I mean that measuring a single month year-over-year....

Aug 21, 2015, 4:54 PM

some people are stubbornly going to side with the wrong side of the issue cause their favorite politician or radio pundit tells them too. Ten years from now, these same people will act like they have been on board the entire time.

It was about the hottest month here in Columbia

Aug 21, 2015, 11:48 AM

I can remember.

Generally, the warmer the better as far as I'm concerned, but my power bills have been high. Could use some relief from that.

Hottest was 1986 by far. I think that July the average high

Aug 21, 2015, 12:02 PM

was 99 degrees.

Here's a link.

Was not that hot this summer.

THE HEAT WAVE OF JULY 7TH THROUGH THE 21ST IN 1986 WAS ONE OF THE
MORE MEMORABLE. THERE WERE 13 OF 15 DAYS WHERE THE TEMPERATURE
CLIMBED TO 100 DEGREES OR HIGHER AT THE COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT. THIS
HEAT WAVE ALSO HOLDS THE RECORD FOR THE MOST CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF 100
DEGREES OR HIGHER...WITH 8.

SUMMER OF 1986...COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT
JULY 7TH...100
JULY 8TH...104
JULY 9TH...104
JULY 10TH..103
JULY 11TH..102
JULY 12TH..101
JULY 13TH..104
JULY 14TH..101
JULY 15TH...99
JULY 16TH...99
JULY 17TH..100
JULY 18TH..105
JULY 19TH..106
JULY 20TH..103
JULY 21ST..105

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still remember the heat of the Summer of 1986

Aug 21, 2015, 1:03 PM

the summer of 2015 has not been memorable.

There wasa pretty bad drought at the time too as I recall

Aug 21, 2015, 1:15 PM

Yup..

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/07/16/us/south-suffers-in-record-drought-crops-and-weed-shrivel-in-fields.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I still remember the heat of the Summer of 1986

Aug 21, 2015, 1:22 PM [ in reply to I still remember the heat of the Summer of 1986 ]

You may be right but you are referring to local weather, not global climate. Your local area may not have been that hot but on average the world's climate increased in temperature.

It's a common point of confusion to reference local weather when discussing climate change.

Aug 21, 2015, 1:41 PM

And youre pointing out one year.

One year doesn't prove nor disprove climate change. It's also a common point of confusion to reference one year when discussing climate change. ;)

Aug 21, 2015, 1:45 PM

You're right, one point alone doesn't mean much and this alone certainly doesn't prove climate change. However, the article isn't showing just one data point. It's saying that this particular point is the warmest since we've been recording so it's taking those records into account.

Quite frankly, it's yet another data point confirming that climate change is happening and we should should come up with a solution.

Aug 21, 2015, 1:51 PM

It's likely a combination of El Nino and global warming.

Many of us predicted that 2015 and 2016 would be some of the warmest ever recorded.

lulz, of course it's confirmation, what isn't?***

Aug 21, 2015, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I still remember the heat of the Summer of 1986 ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lulz, of course it's confirmation, what isn't?***

Aug 21, 2015, 1:55 PM

You're right, data/facts don't belong here, what was I thinking!?

It's all the fault of evil corporations and we need some

Aug 21, 2015, 4:34 PM [ in reply to lulz, of course it's confirmation, what isn't?*** ]

taxes to fix it. That's all you need to know to be a skeptic.

Re: It's all the fault of evil corporations and we need some

Aug 21, 2015, 4:39 PM

But only evil corporations in the US. LOL

The climate has always been changing. I would only worry if

Aug 21, 2015, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: I still remember the heat of the Summer of 1986 ]

it ever stayed the same. It has been hotter in the past, and gotten colder, and then warmed up again, infinitely more times than it has in the past 150 years. Some pig will eat a bat that is eaten by a human and bam, a few billion people will parish n a flu pandemic. Ebola will go airborne. Something along those lines WILL happen long before we make this place to hot for us to live.

Have any data points that explain why Global Warming has

Aug 22, 2015, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: I still remember the heat of the Summer of 1986 ]

happened several times before Industrialization? Because I want to know how we are so sure it's different than the last dozen or so heating and cooling events.

That's pretty bad. I was one year old, and in Greenville.

Aug 21, 2015, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Hottest was 1986 by far. I think that July the average high ]

So obviously I have no recollection of that.

2nd half of June is what I'm really remembering (Got this on Weather Underground)

6/14 - 98
6/15 - 101
6/16 - 102
6/17 - 101
6/18 - 101
6/19 - 99
6/20 - 100
6/21 - 99
6/22 - 101
6/23 - 97
6/24 - 99
6/25 - 99
6/26 - 102

Should I add the earth to my prayer list.***

Aug 21, 2015, 12:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RIP Mother Earth***

Aug 21, 2015, 12:59 PM

Re: Should I add the earth to my prayer list.***

Aug 21, 2015, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Should I add the earth to my prayer list.*** ]

nah that won't do anything ;)

Just remember...she will destroy us long before

Aug 21, 2015, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Should I add the earth to my prayer list.*** ]

we destroy her.

I'm pretty sure that's the problem.***

Aug 21, 2015, 1:36 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Yeah, I didn't find comfort in that either.

Aug 21, 2015, 5:52 PM

So, I'll add earth to my list, above praying for the right person to be elected to public office.

Re: July 2015 was warmest month ever recorded for the globe.

Aug 21, 2015, 1:57 PM

It's been this hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBAKjBxrk-A

Re: July 2015 was warmest month ever recorded for the globe.

Aug 21, 2015, 1:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqjS4Xz4NQ

So are you trying to say it's hot?***

Aug 21, 2015, 2:05 PM

Re: So are you trying to say it's hot?***

Aug 21, 2015, 2:08 PM

I'm just trying to say it's hot too though

Gotcha.***

Aug 21, 2015, 2:09 PM

One doesn't have to convince me the earth is warming up.

Aug 21, 2015, 1:59 PM

I do need to be convinced that I should care, or that there's anything anyone can do about it.

Re: One doesn't have to convince me the earth is warming up.

Aug 21, 2015, 2:03 PM

I honestly don't mean this to be a ####, but if you already think god is going to come back and save the earth then i guess there is no need for you to worry.

However, if you don't believe that then why not keep our one and only environment as nice as we can while we are here?

I definitely don't think we should intentionally

Aug 21, 2015, 2:08 PM

do anything to damage the magnificent creation God has provide for us.

But I also believe God has a whole lot more to do with what goes on in climate and weather than we do. It'll last as long as He wants it to.

The ultimate fate of the earth

Aug 21, 2015, 2:09 PM

found in Revelation, is that it will be destroyed by fire, and new one created to replace it. So it's gonna get real hot one day.

Re: I definitely don't think we should intentionally

Aug 21, 2015, 2:18 PM [ in reply to I definitely don't think we should intentionally ]

> But I also believe God has a whole lot more to do with what goes on in climate and weather than we do.

And here is where I think religious beliefs can be dangerous. It's the same kind of thing as refuting vaccinations and/or medical treatment in lieu of divine intervention except now we are talking about a global scale. Climate and weather is clearly a physical phenomena, not a supernatural one, real or not, I don't think god has anything to do with it.

Being a steward to the environment has nothing to do

Aug 21, 2015, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Re: One doesn't have to convince me the earth is warming up. ]

with believing in climate change or god.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Being a steward to the environment has nothing to do

Aug 21, 2015, 2:11 PM

Yep.

Re: Being a steward to the environment has nothing to do

Aug 21, 2015, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Being a steward to the environment has nothing to do ]

except for the cases where people don't care what we do to the environment because there is no way we could destroy what god made because the bible says so...

I don't think there are any cases like that

Aug 21, 2015, 2:24 PM

Wayne isn't pouring his used motor oil in the ditch behind his house because of his biblical beliefs.

Re: I don't think there are any cases like that

Aug 21, 2015, 2:27 PM

No, but it does cause a lot of indifference to the subject. By definition, it's a non-issue if you think that the biblical prophecies are true.

agreed - most of these climate change sheep

Aug 21, 2015, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Being a steward to the environment has nothing to do ]

live in the city and go into hysterics if their precious cellphone dies or their AC goes out. Lift nary a finger to do anything for their "cause". Hypocrites all, following the lead of Chicken Little himself, Lord Algore.

Re: agreed - most of these climate change sheep

Aug 21, 2015, 2:50 PM

The irony here is astounding.

What do you do to help minimize your impact?***

Aug 21, 2015, 3:04 PM

Re: What do you do to help minimize your impact?***

Aug 21, 2015, 3:09 PM

Besides voting and recyling? Very little; but whether or not I personally do anything has zero to do with the climate changes validity so what's your point?

Point being, the people who are seemingly the most

Aug 21, 2015, 3:14 PM

concerned about it, do the least(if anything at all) to combat it. You want some sort of solution to this perceived problem, but obviously aren't willing to sacrifice any of your comforts. If you were truly worried about it, I'd think you'd be acting accordingly.

Voting does not reduce your environmental impact either, btw.

Re: Point being, the people who are seemingly the most

Aug 21, 2015, 3:19 PM

Sure, that's fair enough. But are we debating my personal laziness on the issue or the validity of climate change. Let's be honest here, you are changing the subject to an ad hominem instead of discussing the actual debate topic.

If you want to say that I'm not doing my part to combat climate change, that's fine and I would agree with you.

Topics evolve, which is what happened with your response

Aug 21, 2015, 3:29 PM

to Prod:

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17654274

You switched gears to talking about why can't we take care of the environment we have, so now here we are discussing why people so concerned about climate change seemingly don't do much, if anything about it.

Re: Topics evolve, which is what happened with your response

Aug 21, 2015, 3:39 PM

Ok sure, but I directly responded on topic to what he had posted. You totally switched topics.

Well, no...Not really, but OK.

Aug 21, 2015, 3:44 PM

I simply stated that you didn't have to believe in god or climate change to take care of the environment, which was in direct response to your response.

*sigh* it's just not even worth posting on a thread

Aug 21, 2015, 4:23 PM

he is involved in because he is convinced he is the smartest person in here and is bound and determined to get the last hard-headed word in to prove his superiority to us defectives. Geez, how many of these mental midgets have we had in here over the years, burning eye-sockets with their omniscience?

99% of the time I avoid any post "darealmvp" is associated with because it causes my IQ to drop reading his endless streams of diarrhea, but I had a weak moment today. Shame on me.

We would all be better off just letting the little feller burn out and blow away, like they all eventually do, on to bigger and better conquests. I'm sure there's some national website out there that needs his brand of super-intelligence.

Re: *sigh* it's just not even worth posting on a thread

Aug 21, 2015, 4:40 PM

Pot meet kettle buddy.

Because I disagree with you means that I think i'm so intellectually superior? Sounds like you have a bit of inferiority complex if anything. Last I checked this was a political discussion board.

> 99% of the time I avoid any post "darealmvp" is associated with because it causes my IQ to drop reading his endless streams of diarrhea, but I had a weak moment today. Shame on me.

So you actually question my intelligence but I'm the as*hole claiming I'm oh so smart? Is that what I'm hearing?

> We would all be better off just letting the little feller burn out and blow away, like they all eventually do, on to bigger and better conquests. I'm sure there's some national website out there that needs his brand of super-intelligence.

Can I ask what the purpose of you visiting the P&R board is? Do you want it filled with congratulatory circle jerks where nobody disagrees?

Why don't you contribute to the discussion for once instead of spewing your tireless ad hominem drivel? If you weren't being spoon fed from the tea-party pundits you'd starve.

Aug 21, 2015, 4:42 PM

Yet there you are posting an ad hominem. You're advice doesn't work for you?

;) jk

Aug 21, 2015, 4:51 PM

I believe I was just straight up attacking haha.

Aug 21, 2015, 4:55 PM

LOL I think so too but I was trying to say it nicely ;)

There is absolutely no evidence to back up this claim.

Aug 22, 2015, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Point being, the people who are seemingly the most ]

"Point being, the people who are seemingly the most concerned about it, do the least (if anything at all) to combat it."

This is a baseless, made up argument.

In fact, the people who are the most concerned tend to be the scientists working to try to stop it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: There is absolutely no evidence to back up this claim.

Aug 22, 2015, 2:15 PM

"Evidence"? That's too "academic" for Lakebum1 and useless in the real world.

You misspelled...

Aug 22, 2015, 11:03 PM [ in reply to There is absolutely no evidence to back up this claim. ]

'pseudo scientist making a mint from climate change research.'

I'm not saying it's not happening but you have to admit the guys who are said to be the professional of this issue of global warming the most have the most to lose if they discovered/revealed everything is normal and therefor we don't have a problem.

Seems to me most of their research is providing evidence of climate change not how to prevent it or even slow it down.

Right...

Aug 23, 2015, 10:51 AM

It's far more likely that the scientists of the world are involved in a grand conspiracy to make money than the corporations spreading information to discredit global warming.

Yeah. The scientists are the ones worried about making a buck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Yeah, you're right again.

Aug 23, 2015, 11:57 AM

Collectively scientist have never been wrong nor dishonest either.

Re: Yeah, you're right again.

Aug 23, 2015, 12:17 PM

Unlike politicians though, scientist have to submit to peer review which isn't nice to liars.

Correct.

Aug 23, 2015, 1:02 PM

If we're calling only those who agree with us 'peers.' There are PHDs in every field that disagree with your religion.

Re: Correct.

Aug 23, 2015, 1:58 PM

Is peer review perfect? Absolutely not but if you are saying that the scientific peer review process can't be trusted then you are calling in to question every cornerstone of science that we know. How else do we know if a scientific finding can be trusted unless it's backed up and verified by other scientists?

It would be conceivable for a few "junk" pieces on any subject to make it through the peer review process but if you are saying there is a worldwide conspiracy to submit papers that conform to some agenda then I don't know what to tell you.

Even if there were some conspiracy, it could easily be debunked by a minority of scientists by falsifying their finding through the same peer review process. It is specifically setup so that it has self-checking properties like this.

The other thing that makes me skeptical about your claims is you generally only cry foul when these scientific findings go against your political and or religious beliefs. Evolution and Climate change being the to big ones.

Increase taxes now!!!!***

Aug 22, 2015, 3:41 PM

Thank God...

Aug 22, 2015, 3:57 PM

for science, air conditioners, ice makers and beer and for 7-11s for know how to use them all for our upcoming football weekends.

I no longer drink beer but it's a health issue not a guilt problem.

Replies: 79
| visibility 968
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic