Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Facilities
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Facilities

Jul 8, 2013, 10:19 AM

Facilities

Facilities
I spent some time this weekend riding around watching the streets flood in Clemson. In the meantime, I took notice of how things look now and what they could look like around here in the next ten years.

A lot of us remember Death Valley without either upper deck. Those fans

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Facilities

Jul 8, 2013, 12:09 PM

Don't know about lot 5 but the practice fields were right behind the north stands when I was there. Two fields north was varsity and field closest to stadium was for freshmen. Of course then we dressed in basement of Fike.
Thats how running down the hill started. Came out back door of Fike, walked down the street and down the hill was the most direct way into stadium. After game, players had to make their way back to Fike to shower and dress.

Jul 8, 2013, 12:22 PM

Completely agree about moving home plate out. I don't like this change at all.
But hopefully they're thinking that long term moving home plate back is easier. Moving the fences in would seem like the easier solution, but you would have to move the hill as well and that could be expensive.

They are re-grading the hill anyway....

Jul 8, 2013, 12:39 PM

in order to make it completely even across the entire outfield so moving the fence instead of the plate still seems the more prudent course of action.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 8, 2013, 1:38 PM

Lot 5 is not going to happen. Too many big money donors that like the prestige and access of parking there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2013, 2:14 PM

With the football indoor facility built and open, it is probably best to keep the other practice fields in the same location.

New Indoor Arena (Basketball +)

Jul 8, 2013, 2:28 PM

Mickey,

I believe it is time now in Clemson's lifespan to move toward constructing a new indoor arena that better tells the Clemson story, plus offering a state-of-the-art indoor gathering and performance center on top of the needs for basketball. In other words, it seems like the right time to build a testament to our greatness and dedication to both academics and athletics, and an arena is the perfect opportunity to accomplish that.

With major industrial and corporate partners adding to the school's programs not only throughout the state but beyond, Clemson is slowly but surely becoming a major economic engine, beyond sports. An 'Ode to the Hills' type of construction, celebrating our past and staking a claim to our future, seems appropriate at this time.

With major construction projects still off following the recession, it also seems like a less expensive time to pull something like this off. Looking at it not just as a basketball arena, but as a university-wide endeavor,
there would be greater financial support and more vested partners available. Lose a few thousand seats from what we have now and make it a little harder to get into as well.

With the football program consistently in the national spotlight, and with the league basketball competition ready to take a significant leap forward in the next few years, a new arena designed in an architecturally-significant manner would generate tremendous positive exposure for Clemson University overall for many many years to come, on top of the obvious benefits for the basketball program.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lot 5 generates a lot of revenue...Where would you put the

Jul 8, 2013, 3:36 PM

big $ boosters who pay to park there? Seems more short sighted than moving home plate forward...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They would probably be moved to Lot 2 and Lot 6....

Jul 8, 2013, 3:52 PM

which would move the people who currently park in those Lots to others areas (probably Lot 1 and Lot 10).

It would create a HUGH trickle-down effect and as Plyler said, would be a very unpopular decision.

If they are determined to build a new arena the simplest solution would be to demolish Littlejohn and rebuild the new arena in its place. The teams could use the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville as a temporary home until construction of the new arena was comnpleted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lot 6 is Big $ donors as well... Better to come up with a

Jul 8, 2013, 4:10 PM

way that doesn't alienate boosters...

I wouldn't categorize Lot 6 as Big $ donors....

Jul 8, 2013, 4:16 PM

While there are some Big $ donors (as you say), it is primarily people who have been contributing to IPTAY for a very long time.

I park in Lot 6 and have for years but I have also been a member of IPTAY for nearly 30 years.

You must not park on the stadium end of lot 6...***

Jul 8, 2013, 4:19 PM

The stadium end of Lot 6 has 14 rows of cars....

Jul 8, 2013, 4:31 PM

I am on Row 7 just about dead center of the lot.

According to IPTAY, parking is issued on the current years

Jul 8, 2013, 6:01 PM [ in reply to I wouldn't categorize Lot 6 as Big $ donors.... ]

giving, not priority points or the number of years of giving. I got booted from Lot 1 many years ago because more bigger money people wanted in that lot and I didn't increase my pledge.

The minimum for Lot 6 is stated to be $2100 level...sounds kinda' like big $ to me.

We parked in between a bank president and a guy who owns

Jul 8, 2013, 7:28 PM

multiple beer distributorships...It is a big $ lot...

Re: They would probably be moved to Lot 2 and Lot 6....

Jul 8, 2013, 4:34 PM [ in reply to They would probably be moved to Lot 2 and Lot 6.... ]

the Littlejohn dilemma is purely financial. the basketball program's needs aren't size, but rather amenities that Littlejohn lacks. the cost to build a new facility is huge and the basketball program can't come close to sustaining the cost. because of the Bilo Center, it would be difficult attracting the profitable events that other multi-purpose facilities depend on. when i was growing up in Greenville pre-Bilo Center, we regular went to concerts a Littlejohn like REM, John Cougar, Sting, & some other big names at the time that I'm too embarassed to mention.

the Colonial Center in Columbia is far from a success and it's has regular events and sits downtown in the capital city.

the problem is, if Clemson decides to build a new arena, they will be sinking money annually to cover the costs for a very long time. that makes basketball a negative revenue program that will have to suck at the proverbal football teet like the rest of the programs. i.e. ultimately hurts football. if Clemson doesn't build a new arena, but rather spruces up Littlejohn, it's still an outdated facility that makes it hard for the basketball program to compete. it's a tough call.

but....

Jul 8, 2013, 5:03 PM

basketball has almost always been a negative revenue program that sucks at the proverbal football teet (as you say) like the rest of the programs.

because Basketball has never been a priority...***

Jul 8, 2013, 7:29 PM

Re: Lets Think Big

Jul 9, 2013, 1:41 AM

Let's think big. That's what planning is all about. I generally agree about the baseball field. I realize the Crosley Field slope is unique but maybe it is time to remove it and put in a standard warning track and move the fence in slightly. Let's look at a partial roof for Death Valley, a la Oregon. Shade would help with the noon games! Yes, supposedly heat is an ally for our team but look what it does to the fan base in terms of support and attendance. Would mave the valley even more imposing. Basketball needs and deserves a new facility either on the old baseball field or across from Esso Club. I agree to move football practice fields, but a little late to do so due to the new indoor facility. Could put football parking there with a new car bridge over the lagoon.

Jul 9, 2013, 6:03 PM

Why in the world do we want to invest (waste) more money on the basketball program? I'm about 90% certain that it will never win an ACC championship much less make it to the final four. A .500 season is nice. There is parity in college basketball and players can choose to go to any school and they have many choices (close to home, lower academic standards, etc.).

I'd rather my donations be invested in a common facility to be used by all other sports (training/weight center, nutrition center, offices, etc.). FB is special and gets its own facilities because it's the money maker.

But, if we must build a new basketball arena, scale it back, a lot! 4,000, maybe 5,000 seats and make is nice.

Let me really upset people...

Jul 9, 2013, 6:04 PM

Why in the world do we want to invest (waste) more money on the basketball program? I'm about 90% certain that it will never win an ACC championship much less make it to the final four. A .500 season is nice. There is parity in college basketball and players can choose to go to any school and they have many choices (close to home, lower academic standards, etc.).

I'd rather my donations be invested in a common facility to be used by all other sports (training/weight center, nutrition center, offices, etc.). FB is special and gets its own facilities because it's the money maker.

But, if we must build a new basketball arena, scale it back, a lot! 4,000, maybe 5,000 seats and make is nice.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic