Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Critics of Brownell are basketball ignorant
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

Critics of Brownell are basketball ignorant

Mar 5, 2015, 9:51 AM

Brownell is certainly one of ( if not best ) the best pure coaches of the GAME basketball that we have ever had at Clemson. I will agree that recruiting better basketball players is a part of his job and hopefully he can do this though CU is a very tough sell in the ACC with who he recruits against. The X and O and "type" of basketball criticism is way off base ! OP recruited "athletes" and created chaos by pressing all the time. When he got into a game in the NCAA however and a GOOD team forced him to play a half-court game he could not do it. Virginia plays a deliberate game very successfully they just have better shooters. Clemson is a tough place to consistently win in basketball but we have a good solid coach and if we are smart we will do all we can to keep him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Critics of Brownell are basketball ignorant

Mar 5, 2015, 9:53 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I love the argument that Purnell recruited "athletes"

Mar 5, 2015, 9:57 AM

Booker, Stitt, Rivers etc were more than just athletes, they were very good basketball players.

I agree that CBB is an X and O guy. I just don't think he can recruit and thus he cannot execute his system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

fact - OP recruited more scorers than BB has

Mar 5, 2015, 11:04 AM

Stitt - Book - Oglesby - Rivers - Jerai Grant - Hammonds

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

You could put Potter on this team now and he would score***

Mar 5, 2015, 11:41 AM

agreed... I was always a fan of David's ....although he got

Mar 5, 2015, 11:42 AM

bashed on here quite a bit

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I remember a game against Purdue in the ACC/Big Ten Challege

Mar 5, 2015, 11:43 AM

Where David Potter was the only reason we won.

I always thought he had a really good skill set and was a

Mar 5, 2015, 11:46 AM

tough matchup for people. He was the type who could emerge in OP's system.... long, rangy, athletic

good player

Grant played well, but I don't know if I would call him a

Mar 5, 2015, 11:53 AM [ in reply to fact - OP recruited more scorers than BB has ]

scorer

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OP did get him here...he showed his best play under Brad***

Mar 5, 2015, 11:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

both Grant and Stitt b/c scorers their Sr. year under BB

Mar 5, 2015, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Grant played well, but I don't know if I would call him a ]

Those are the two guys I always think about when I think about player development under BB. I thought he did a great job with those two...

Grant in the paint and Stitt's jumper improved tremendously

I definetely think he played well, but he only averaged

Mar 5, 2015, 12:01 PM

double figures the one year with Brad

I'm not sure where I'm disagreeing with that***

Mar 5, 2015, 12:03 PM

I think it's a stretch to call him a scorer***

Mar 5, 2015, 12:14 PM

he was a scorer for us his Sr. year... in order for us to

Mar 5, 2015, 12:16 PM

win games.. which we did, both he and Stitt had to score

They did***

Mar 5, 2015, 12:17 PM

Re: fact - OP recruited more scorers than BB has

Mar 5, 2015, 10:19 PM [ in reply to fact - OP recruited more scorers than BB has ]

Great memory...Hammonds was a player, and everyone on your list would have been a star on this year's team.

Mar 5, 2015, 10:02 AM

A couple of questions:

How were OP's guys just athletes? Brownell has yet to bring in a guy who shot 35% from 3 for the season. Booker, TO, Rivers, Potter, Stitt, Young, and Hammonds all shot at least 37% from 3 for a season.

How does a great coach consistently lose to mid major teams? When facing that level, it isn't a talent issue. It is motivation or coaching. We have lost 11 games to mid majors under Brownell. Purnell lost 3 games to that level in his 7 seasons.

Mar 5, 2015, 10:07 AM

Harrison and Ajukwa both shot 35% or above last year...

Season before that Roper shot above that mark....

null

Mar 5, 2015, 10:22 AM

Good call on roper. Completely forgot about his % a couple seasons ago. Regardless, our shooting % as a team is down which adds to our consistent offensive struggles.

Mar 5, 2015, 10:27 AM

not say it is not just correcting your wrong statement.

Harrison Ajukwa and Roper are Brownell guys.

null

Mar 5, 2015, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Critics of Brownell are basketball ignorant ]

All ANY coach can do is put players in a position to get good shots. He cannot make it go in the basket folks. This is more frustrating to coaches and players than it ever is to us as fans no matter what we think. I'm just saying if keep doing/saying things that run off coaches such as BB we will never have any consistency. CU is probably realistically a 10 year project as far as basketball is concerned. As far as losing to mid-majors you see more of that across the board as more of them are very competitive. N.C. State lost to Wofford this year.

^^^^this is why we will always suck at BB

Mar 5, 2015, 10:28 AM

10 yr project?????

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2015, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Critics of Brownell are basketball ignorant ]

"10 year project" that is just dumb.

He has two more years.

null

Mar 5, 2015, 10:38 AM

117, YOU DO REALIZE YOU ARE DEALING WITH IDIOTS THAT OBVIOUSLY NO NOTHING ABOUT THE GAME I TAKE IT.

Mar 5, 2015, 10:44 AM

Yes but I am trying to be nice remember!

null

Mar 5, 2015, 10:51 AM

WELL THAT IS JUST YOU BEING YOU. LOL

uh oh...facts are going in both directions now***

Mar 5, 2015, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Critics of Brownell are basketball ignorant ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trevor only took 22 3s the year he shot over 37%, that's not

Mar 5, 2015, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Critics of Brownell are basketball ignorant ]

even one a game

Clemson is a tough sell, but add to that his style

Mar 5, 2015, 10:25 AM

and add to that his deamanor, and you have a horrible combination for recruiting at Clemson.

I've always said, he'd do great at a basketball school, but he is a horrible fit for Clemson imo.
He will never get the recruits he needs here.

To sell at Clemson, you need an exciting style imo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson is a tough sell, but add to that his style

Mar 5, 2015, 10:28 AM

Maybe if Brad got a couple of tatts and started hanging out with rappers it would help. I know all those other head coaches in the league have wonder demeanors.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you gotta admit,

Mar 5, 2015, 10:33 AM

everything about he screams boring white dude. Compare that to Dabo, and it's night and day.

OP had that grumpy demeanor, but he had the black thing going for him in recruiting.

Barnes, was a good recruiter and he had that I'll kick Dean Smiths ### attitude.

Brad is

Re: you gotta admit,

Mar 5, 2015, 10:36 AM

mot of them are boring, old white dudes. roy williams, jim boeheim, larry williams, etc...

but yeah, I get what you are saying.

our coach is droopy dog???***

Mar 5, 2015, 11:58 AM [ in reply to you gotta admit, ]

Mar 5, 2015, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson is a tough sell, but add to that his style ]

Stereotype much?

Mar 5, 2015, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Clemson is a tough sell, but add to that his style ]

Typical response of the world we live in today. Everyone wants instant gratification. There is no appreciation for the art of how the game is supposed to be played. Example as one old coach once said "The dunk and blocked shot are the idiots delight " !

Mar 5, 2015, 10:53 AM

IDK, that old coach sounds pretty bitter that he didn't have hops.

Solution then...

Mar 5, 2015, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Clemson is a tough sell, but add to that his style ]

Indiana's a basketball school. We'd love to have BB here. Will somebody please ask your AD about a trade? Soon.

Mar 5, 2015, 10:31 AM

I think the op and athletes statement is just as ignorant..plus that's not accurate bc one of those tourney losses was a very close game in which we lost our best shooter within the first few minutes ( Oglesby )... we never went on shooting spells like we do now and it's his job to recruit and if he's such a great x and o guy then these kids should be developing into great players right?

Mar 5, 2015, 10:36 AM

These players he has now have showed little if not any improvement since BB has had them. Knowing the game is one thing but teaching it is another.

You don't think Nnoko has improved?

Mar 5, 2015, 10:45 AM

Blossomgame?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

blossomgame, yes. nnoko seems to have gone backwards?

Mar 5, 2015, 10:56 AM

from what i've seen[not a basketball "purist"] that brad is a terrific teacher of the game. i don't see too many people question that, there are some no doubt.

i imagine he'd flourish at an indiana or purdue that recruits itself as a basketball school. he's got 2ish more years at clemson i think.

i hope he makes the magic happen...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: blossomgame, yes. nnoko seems to have gone backwards?

Mar 5, 2015, 11:04 AM

agree, and hall did not improve much over the summer either. Jordon Roper just looks happy to be out there.

Landry has been in foul trouble all year, his

Mar 5, 2015, 12:05 PM [ in reply to You don't think Nnoko has improved? ]

minutes a game are down

the players have improved...Nnoko is kind of weird...

Mar 5, 2015, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Critics of Brownell are basketball ignorant ]

improved greatly between two season ago and last year...this year he's kind of flatlined/regressed. Roper is going to struggle because he's playing two guard in a pg's body...kind of short/small for 2. Jerai Grant made tremendous improvement under BB.

Mar 5, 2015, 11:00 AM

overall I am a BB supporter BUT we still keep doing absolutely stupid things that should have been corrected YEARS AGO!!We keep throwing the ball to the other team even when not under pressure.We still have guys that simply can not catch a good pass. we keep throwing the ball to the big guys below their knees and it is another turnover.Our foul shooting is still absolutely horrible!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its idiotic to say "he's the best coach we've ever had"

Mar 5, 2015, 11:03 AM

then you dont judge him based on his results on the court. All you do is make excuses for him.

I could say, I'm the greatest coach in clemson's history...except I've never coached at clemson. Makes about as much sense as your stupid argument and excuses.

there is an awful lot more to being a great coach than X and O's. Dabo proves that. He's probably one of the least knowledgeable X/O coaches there ever will be in college football. But he's spent a bunch of money hiring the best assistants possible, and they cover up his shortcomings.

Re: Its idiotic to say "he's the best coach we've ever had"

Mar 5, 2015, 11:12 AM

You are a chicken fan we dont really need advice from a program that has not won an NCAA Tournament game since Nixon was in office.

null

Tigers Own

Mar 5, 2015, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Its idiotic to say "he's the best coach we've ever had" ]

you cocklovers. always have. you need to worry about your pathetic basketball team in the worst league in america. plus, the mere fact you are wake forest in fball - a few decent yrs and back to mediocrity. pitiful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

If West Virginia can recruit great, so can we ....

Mar 5, 2015, 11:36 AM

The argument that BBall players don't want to play for Clemson is bunk ..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Booker....Stitt....KC Rivers were GREAT basketball players

Mar 5, 2015, 11:41 AM

not just great athletes...GREAT basketball players. KC was an awesome basketball player. David Potter was a good basketball player. To say he only recruited athletes is a bit of a stretch. Booker is a better basketball player than anyone Brad has recruited to Clemson.

Message was edited by: Tigerfansince1972®

Could not agree more

Mar 5, 2015, 11:45 AM

KC Rivers was one of the best basketball players to ever put on a Clemson uniform.

agreed***

Mar 5, 2015, 11:46 AM

Yep***

Mar 5, 2015, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Could not agree more ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Booker is the best player we've had since Dale***

Mar 5, 2015, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Booker....Stitt....KC Rivers were GREAT basketball players ]

would agree.....Trevor was/is a beast

Mar 5, 2015, 12:24 PM

there's no one on this current roster that comes even close to him. Not even close.

Question.

Mar 5, 2015, 11:56 AM

From the OP:

"When he got into a game in the NCAA however and a GOOD team forced him to play a half-court game he could not do it."

So what happens now when we get to an NCAA game? Just curious.

Blah blah blah blah blah

Mar 5, 2015, 12:00 PM

Brownell is a great coach and everybody that disagrees doesn't know #### about basketball.

Same old song and dance.

When Brownell takes us to the ACC championship game then you can compare him to OP.

Until then you're just insulting Purnell.

Mar 5, 2015, 1:12 PM

you're a ########....

I swear. It's amazing at the level of stupidity that some show in this forum.

I've never seen a guy protected like BB has been....Never.

jeebus, here...

Mar 5, 2015, 1:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJR6eIo1aXk

dress your post up a bit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: jeebus, here...

Mar 5, 2015, 1:29 PM

Beet me 2 it

I fixed it for ya

Mar 5, 2015, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Critics of Brownell are basketball ignorant ]

an ########....a word starting with a vowel is preceded by an not a.

YWIA

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

+ juan, that was very helpful.***

Mar 5, 2015, 1:28 PM

Mar 5, 2015, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Critics of Brownell are basketball ignorant ]

LOL @ ########.

I used that phrase for weeks after I saw Office Space in the mid 90s

We've definitely solved losing in the first round.***

Mar 5, 2015, 1:57 PM

hahahah.....yes, yes we have!!!!***

Mar 5, 2015, 3:23 PM

14.5 minutes of not being able to make a basket says hello..***

Mar 5, 2015, 2:56 PM