Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jounge Opinion: Is it just me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Jounge Opinion: Is it just me

Nov 18, 2019, 9:34 AM

or does going out to a bar for the sake of going out to a bar just sound like torture? Per my GMHWEW response, we had some neighbors that were hell bent on going out to the Battery to watch the game. I protested hard b/c
a) I knew it'd be nothing but dawg fans (it was)
b) the dawg game would be on every TV w/ sound (it was)
c) it'd be expensive as hail (it was)
d) it'd be too focking crowded to enjoy and we'd have to wait on every drink (right again)

I think I've gotten to the point to where I truly despise going out. I have better, cheaper beer and bourbon at home. I always have 2 TVs set up to watch games plus the living room upstairs. Comfortable seating. And we usually fix up food that is superior to wherever we go and it's way cheaper.

Unless I'm going to a game to tailgate, or going to a show, I really would rather just stay at home (going to another house would suffice). Is this an Atlanta problem? an "I'm now 30 problem"? or a dawghater23 problem?

TIA (sorry no teds...at work)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've determined I just hate crowds

Nov 18, 2019, 9:42 AM

I don't like doing things in big groups, and I don't particularly care to be somewhere with large amounts of people. Just seems to make everything more difficult and aggravating? Need a beer? Either wait 25 minutes for a waitress to come back around or go fight for a spot at the bar like wolves feeding on a deer carcass.

If I can go sit at a table and be served in a reasonable about of time, I've got no problem. But yeah, you start spending the big bucks once you get in a routine of going out like that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends on the "scenery" at the bar

Nov 18, 2019, 9:51 AM

That can backfire though - went to the Thanksgiving Eve at Apple Annie's in Florence last year. The talent was phenomenal, but unfortunately, I was the same age as their parents, so that was a downer, haha...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A. its Wholesale....B. Talent? in Florence?

Nov 18, 2019, 10:15 AM

Re: A. its Wholesale....B. Talent? in Florence?

Nov 18, 2019, 11:25 AM

It's not people that live in Florence, it's the kids that have moved away
and are back in town for Thanksgiving. A. Agree since the day I first set foot
in there in 1975. B. Talent from elsewhere not current Florence residents.

Hope that helps.

Hi, hello, nice to meat you. Who are you?

Nov 18, 2019, 11:29 AM

and how did it feel when CS02 blind folded you and put you into his van?

Also, post Tids.

Re: A. its Wholesale....B. Talent? in Florence?

Nov 18, 2019, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: A. its Wholesale....B. Talent? in Florence? ]

"There's always some hombre that can't resist swappin' lead just to see if their faster with the six gun than Cisco is"

"He-he-he, those hombres find out Cisco the fastest"

"Well that don't stop 'em from tryin', Pancho like Slade, here He fancies himself as fast on the draw as them quarter-horse takin' after a stray."

"Oh-ho-ho, that one not gon' beat Cisco, either"

"Well, what's the matter? Can't the Cisco Kid talk for himself? Is that how you got your reputation Cisco by havin' your partner build you up?"

"I make no claim to a reputation, señor and no one has to talk for me."

"The Cisco Kid, huh? The kid part of it fits you from the way you act."

"I've meet with your kind before. You're a foolish hombre if you think he will not fight you."

"You're making big talk for an hombre who will not fight."

"You are wrong, Slade. I'll fight you any place, any time if there is a good reason."

"Well here's a fistful of reasons!"

"Now, you two quit that."

"Just as soon as I finish off this Cisco Kid."

"You are the one that is finished, ######!"

"Is that a good punch?"

"Alright you two, that's enough let him alone, Cisco."

"I won't forget this, Cisco"

"I'll take this up with you another time."

"Any time, hombre. I'd be glad to accommodate you."

"I'll make it soon, Cisco."

"Shut up, Cash, keep your mouth shut."

"That's what I mean, Cisco you attract trouble like a fiddler attracts a square dance you understand why I don't want you staying in this town?"

"Do not worry sheriff..."

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

You're antisocial.

Nov 18, 2019, 9:52 AM

Same here. No place is as comfortable and secure as my recliner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is a 30s and not chasing tail problem.

Nov 18, 2019, 9:59 AM

For me, it wasn't that I don't want a bar anymore. It is that I want 5pm Tiger Town vs 11pm. Breweries have mostly taken that role.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A bar is the absolute last place on the planet that I will

Nov 18, 2019, 10:07 AM

go to watch a game. If it's a Clemson game and I'm not there, I need to be at home where I can pace, cuss, throw objects, or dance joyously, whatever the case may be. If it's a game I don't care about, then I probably have better things to do anyway. These days, the only reason for me to go to a bar is live music. For that matter, there are almost no bars left around here. Brewery taprooms kinda don't count in my opinion, I'm usually going specifically to check out the beer (or they have a band I want to see). Everything in Rock Hill is a restaurant that has a bar, so if I'm going, it's to go eat and not hang out. If I want the full 'bar' experience, then I'm looking for a dive bar anyway...no food, great jukebox, and cheap beer. If I want high end craft beer, I'm going to drink that at home so a $3 beer doesn't become an $8 beer. Probably the only bar that I will drive to in order just to hang out would be the Thirsty Beaver in Charlotte. Rock Hill DESPERATELY needs a true dive bar.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bingo - this is the way to do it

Nov 18, 2019, 10:13 AM

i yell, cuss, pace, laugh, jump and down, and raise holy hell in the comfort of my own basement.

brewery scene is typically in the afternoon, early evening. going to drink beers, and the breweries here usually have a band during the weekends.

on the same page w/ you on the music piece. sports functions and live music is basically the only reason I want to be around a bunch of people, and in those events, i usually have a lot in common w/ the crowd.

Bars/restaurants have their place, and I don't mind going,

Nov 18, 2019, 10:08 AM

UNLESS it's to watch something on TV that I actually want to pay attention to (see: a Clemson game). Then, they suck, and the only reason to ever do such a thing is if the game isn't available on a home TV, which is pretty much never the case these days.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends on the kind of bar you are going to.

Nov 18, 2019, 10:12 AM

I hate going to most generic, big bars. The bartender doesn’t give a #### about you, he or she is usually trying to pay just enough attention to you so that you’ll tip decently. Nobody knows anybody except for the group they are with, and they have no interest in finding about about anyone else.

Now, what I do miss more than anything about living in Baltimore are the neighborhood corner bars. When I walked in, chances were I knew half the people there. The bartender had my beer ready to go as soon as he saw me walk in. We’d chat for a few before he moved on to take other orders, but they all were diligent in making sure everyone was set. But they also knew if they started getting a bad rap for service, they’d go under in 6 months because there were plenty of other options for people to try out. So there was incentive for everyone to pay attention to the customers, keep the BS at the door, and everyone having a laidback good time. You have a hard time finding those when the spiral negates the tightness of a community.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And I'll add another thing

Nov 18, 2019, 10:19 AM

Usually the above posters are correct re: watching a Clemson game at the bar. But I always enjoyed watching with the Clemson Club either in Crystal City or in Baltimore. Everyone is cussing, raising hell, and dancing joyously after victory. Plus, free shots after every touchdown in this era of offense? SIGN. ME. UP.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only bar I'll watch a Clemson game from is up stairs

Nov 18, 2019, 10:24 AM

Tiger Town. I am usually not paying attention expect for UGA '13 and ND '15. I'm up there to see friends after visiting other friends at the RH fam tailgate. I'd have been there Saturday except for spending time with other friends and enjoying some live music.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Neighborhood bars are a huge upside to living in a large

Nov 18, 2019, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Depends on the kind of bar you are going to. ]

urban area. You can walk to them, and the crowd is almost always regulars. In a tourist town, it can be hit or miss with the crowd (Charleston is good example). In a suburban town like Rock Hill, there's no where for a neighborhood bar to land due to zoning, so you end up with restaurants that have a bar, which are generally horrible places to hang out. If there is a true bar, then it's relegated to the outskirts of town, and a drive-to suburban destination tends to hurt the overall demographic. Around Rock Hill, there are a handful of outskirts dives like that, and the bulk of their business comes on weekends, and they usually cater heavily to bikers. Not outlaw bikers, but doctors and lawyers showing off on expensive bikes and wearing all the shiny new ridiculously priced leather with HD logos plastered all over.

It was 143 steps from my front door to the front door of the

Nov 18, 2019, 10:51 AM

closest bar. I like convenience. Where I live at in Tucson now is similar to what you are describing in Rock Hill, plus an excessive Mormon population that refuses to allow any sort of bar only place. It takes the fun out of things when all you have to look forward to is a Dos Equis at the Mexican restaurant 3 or 4 miles away.

Re: Neighborhood bars are a huge upside to living in a large

Nov 18, 2019, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Neighborhood bars are a huge upside to living in a large ]

Very true. For all its downfalls, the midwest has some great neighborhood bars, which is not usually the case in the South.

I have two that I frequent a lot and if I walk in at 5 today, I will know at least 8-10 people in each one and I know all the bartender schedules so you know the evenings/nights to avoid.

But I rarely watch a Clemson game at a bar. Usually here at the house and then to the bar after wife and kids hit the sack.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greenville also resembles. There are a few

Nov 18, 2019, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Neighborhood bars are a huge upside to living in a large ]

old dives around, but nobody I know has ever been to them. They don't look all that inviting so we also don't go in. If Shoeless was on the way home, we'd likely stop in there several times a week. It really is like hanging out in a buddies basement just without liquor. They don't have space for live music though.

Of course, I purposely left college towns out of the

Nov 18, 2019, 11:09 AM

equation. A REAL college town is going to have a number of walkable bars, but once you're no longer in college it becomes more along the lines of the tourist factor. College bars are great when you're in college...not so much when you've aged out of that demographic. I don't even go to the Esso on game weekends unless I'm there the day before to eat meat & three for lunch. Honestly, I'd probably be more at home at Hog Tails in Pendleton than I would be at any of the downtown bars these days.

Just so you know, you've not aged out of the

Nov 18, 2019, 11:13 AM

Up Stair crowd yet. Especially the Sunday crowd. Those cats are professionals.

I haven't been upstairs since a few years after I graduated

Nov 18, 2019, 11:15 AM

but from your description, it always sounds like a Thirsty Beaver type crowd up there. Gonna have to put that on my bucket list, it's just that tailgate does everything I need on game day. Guess I'm gonna have to plan a non-football trip to Clemson sometime and do just that.

Let me know and I'll go and make sure ole

Nov 18, 2019, 11:27 AM

Charlie is there.

place is cool and everything

Nov 18, 2019, 12:01 PM

but the cigarette smoke is nasty as ####

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Probably the only place left outside of Tennessee that you

Nov 18, 2019, 12:05 PM

can still smoke. Never ceases to amaze me on trips to Nashville or Knoxville that sitting in a bar smoking cigarettes still goes on. Is that because upstairs is a private club?

That is why they stayed private.

Nov 18, 2019, 12:12 PM

Some of that crowd would still go to Sloan St. before the smoking law changed.

My local pubs have hot bartenders

Nov 18, 2019, 10:32 AM

a bunch of us regulars and good conversation. I like going down later like 10-12 and then heading back home. I think its fun and since i work from home, its a way to get out of the house if not traveling that week.

I like people and being around people, so that is that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I work from home, so many times walking up

Nov 18, 2019, 10:55 AM

to the dive bar up the street is simply getting out of the office for me. I LOVE working from home, but imagine if you lived at your office--you'd want to get out of there if nothing else than to just be away from your office for a minute. I'll normally meet a friend or two up there at HH, have a few beers, and be home by 6 or 7. We know all the bartenders, and they are sort of friends, or at least friends that we give money to for bad service.

Much like RH Tig, the only other reason to go a bar is to see a band. I'll do that probably 2-3x a month. My bar going days to see football games went way down when big screen HD TV's got cheap around 2006-2007. I probably paid for my first 55" TV by NOT spending time at a bar watching football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NOPE on watching a Clemson game anywhere but live or at home

Nov 18, 2019, 11:18 AM

and by "at home" I mean a maximum of Mrs No and daughter of there, besides me. No chitter-chatter, this ain't bean bag, it's serious bidness.

One time, the daughter-in-law, who knows and cares ZERO about sports in general and college football in particular, wanted to hang wit us while they were visiting for Thanksgiving. It was torture, what with all the dumb questions and unrelated conversation. Finally they left.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS.

Nov 18, 2019, 11:40 AM

Mrs. Tig has no interest other than what kind of a mood I'll be in when it's over, so it's usually just me and the pup. Which is how I like it. I might could stand to watch your Woffords, Citadels, Western Carolinas, etc. with a few extra folk, but meaningful games need my complete and laser-focused attention in order for us to win.

I am just too nervous

Nov 18, 2019, 12:00 PM [ in reply to NOPE on watching a Clemson game anywhere but live or at home ]

watching the game on tv so it must be at home

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I’m the same way with movies.***

Nov 18, 2019, 12:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like one or two bars near me...

Nov 18, 2019, 12:48 PM

the rest, not so much. I don't like having to drive after drinking, I don't like paying a premium for beer...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I go to bars when I'm traveling.

Nov 18, 2019, 3:15 PM

When not on the road I seldom go anymore. A real nice place popped up a few years ago within walking distance and I figured I'd be a regular but I've only been a handful of times.

Definitely would not go there to watch

Nov 18, 2019, 3:19 PM

the tigers play anything.

This sounds like social anxiety

Nov 19, 2019, 12:03 PM

You can't just stay in your house 24/7. Less of a 30s problem than a just not very social and not looking for girls problem.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic