Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney: "Best secondary since I've been at Clemson in 13 years"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney: "Best secondary since I've been at Clemson in 13 years"

Jul 31, 2015, 12:59 PM

Swinney: "Best secondary since I've been at Clemson in 13 years"

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang we are AWESOME! Love it..

Jul 31, 2015, 1:06 PM

Go tigers

#NoFlyZone

Jul 31, 2015, 1:14 PM

It's gonna force teams with weaker passing games (most of the teams we play) to run the ball and give the front 7 a chance to wreak havoc and cause some turnovers and get some big stops on their own. It should also give us the ability to stack the box against those weaker passing teams and dare them to beat us in the air.

Like I said, we're a top ten defense.

Jul 31, 2015, 1:26 PM

We knew the secondary and LB corp would be excellent. Our secondary might be as good as anyone. With those two groups behind our Dline will make the young ones look like a pass rush from helll.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Like I said, we're a top ten defense.

Aug 1, 2015, 8:40 AM

Now if our O-Line is up to the challenge, we might just have a great team on our hands here.

I'm not quite ready to label them top 10. IMO a great DL

Aug 3, 2015, 7:11 AM [ in reply to Like I said, we're a top ten defense. ]

covers up for a bad secondary a lot more than a great secondary can cover up for a DL. Those young guys are still going to have to play very well for us to be a top 10 defense. If our defense does finish top 10 (and Watson doesnt get hurt) i can pretty much guarantee you we win the ACC, and there's a really good chance we will be in the playoff.

Re: FB Update: Swinney: "Best secondary since I've been at Clemson in 13 years"

Jul 31, 2015, 1:35 PM

We had a great D last year that's for sure.
As a program tho it takes having good D every year to be where we want to be.
I hope this year starts that streak and its not only when the players have 2-3 years under their belts.
It's been a long time since we have had good D 2 years in a row.

Jul 31, 2015, 1:36 PM

It'd be nice to see that chart someone made when we hired Venables as a DC and people were moaning and groaning because his team defense ranking was in the 40-60's over the previous 5 years... I'd say he's taken quite the leap these past few years... it's be cool to see that if anyone has it.

Jul 31, 2015, 2:01 PM

I'm curious as to what Venables would attribute the vast improvements to. Wonder if he could explain it without giving up secrets?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More talent, expierence, and better coaching. Simple as that

Jul 31, 2015, 2:21 PM

We he came on we'd lost our best defensive players to the NFL in Brandon Thomas, Rennie Moore, Coty Sensabaugh, and Andre Branch. We never rotated players under Steele like we do with Venables and thus he had to make due with a lot of young DL players that hadn't played much in Williams, Watson, Jarett, Beaseley, etc.

We've recruited extremely well on the defensive side and couple that with more in game experience and great coaching from the staff and you see every player's ability maximized.

Recruiting***

Aug 3, 2015, 7:06 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney: "Best secondary since I've been at Clemson in 13 years" ]

nm

Aug 1, 2015, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney: "Best secondary since I've been at Clemson in 13 years" ]

Here are just some ball park numbers

2011 (Steele's final season): about 75th
2012: 50-60
2013: mid 20's
2014: 1st

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

A lot of that is starting our young DL early...

Aug 1, 2015, 7:48 PM

When they grew up it was lights out. Also, we had a similar case with the LBs.

We also had a major upgrade in our secondary coach as well as Venables. I remember we had NFL secondary talent at safety that didn't know where to be most of the time.

I remember that Miami at Clemson where our senior safeties looked like freshman, 2010 or 11?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

best overall D's I've probably seen are 1981 & 2014 Teams.

Aug 1, 2015, 7:59 PM

Then, other great ones played vs WV in 1989? & 1990? vs Illinois (#1 I believe).

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: best overall D's I've probably seen are 1981 & 2014 Teams.

Aug 1, 2015, 10:13 PM

I agree. The Illinois game in 1990 had one of the best if not THE best to ever play at Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And Blanks back strong! Wow!***

Jul 31, 2015, 3:44 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Swinney: "BEST is the standard"

Aug 1, 2015, 1:19 AM

"BEST IS THE STANDARD"
GO TIGERS!!!
:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2015, 7:43 AM

Pretty bold considering I just re-watched the UT Peach Bowl in which we started 4 underclassmen who went on to play in the NFL.

Tye Hill
Justin Miller
Jamaal Fudge
Travis Pugh

I know MacKenzie and Kearse will play big boy football....we will see about the other 2. They certainly have the chance.

That's high praise, but I definitely buy it! We know what

Aug 2, 2015, 7:36 PM

we're getting with Alexander. Kearse is a FREAK! I think Mark Fields is the real deal. Unfortunately, I think this may be the last year we have all 3 of them, if not only Fields (hope I'm wrong). IMHO, Alexander and Kearse have the potential to go in the first 2 rounds of the draft after this season. Sucks we lost a year with Alexander because of his groin injury. I feel comfortable saying we're as talented at DB as anyone else in the country.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2015, 8:46 AM

BV has made our defense like the ones DF used to have. I don't expect much drop off, even though we lost some great players. We no are reloading. That's the difference in where we have been and where we now are. No rebuilding at Clemson now, just reloading. Next man up!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic