Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is NC State so confident?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Why is NC State so confident?

Oct 18, 2018, 12:30 PM

Is it because they think BC defense is remotely close to ours?

Finley 70% 10 TD 12.5 yds per completion
Lawrence 69% 11 TD 12.6 yds per completion

Wussies Have played one road game at Marshall, a team that lost to Middle Tennessee.

Total yds per game
530 vs 480 (our favor)
Wussies have more passing

We pretty much flank them in every statistical category except for rushing yards allowed of which we allow 0.9 more.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

because 2 years ago they should have beaten us

Oct 18, 2018, 12:33 PM

last year they had an incredible start and tried to rally late. Totally different team this year though.

But their QB is as good as anyone out there and gets rid of the ball quickly. Their receivers are big and can make plays. Its a tough matchup for our DBs.

Talent should win out but this is rarely an easy game for us.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

I think what you meant to say was

Oct 18, 2018, 12:35 PM

two years ago Christian Wilkins should have blocked a kick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

maybe. Truth is we played like crap

Oct 18, 2018, 12:38 PM

our D line was overwhelmed in the second half. That won't happen Saturday.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Re: because 2 years ago they should have beaten us

Oct 18, 2018, 1:48 PM [ in reply to because 2 years ago they should have beaten us ]

Two years ago 3 fumbles, 1 pick 6 and 2 turnovers on downs is why that game was even close. All of those fumbles came either in the redzone or in fg range. That game was close bc of the turnovers...not NC State imposing a will on Clemson.

Last year...yes it was a good game they played...but even then...they came to play but we bounced back. Up 2 scores with about 7 min to go and our defense made them use nearly 5min just to get a FG. Then for some reason we ran KB 3 times in a row and allowed them to get the ball back with only like 20 sec running off of the clock. Even with that...they could have only tied [or risked it all and went for two] and we picked it off to end the game.

They fed off of the crowd and this time it's us with the crowd and homecoming and coming off of a bye week like them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is NC State so confident?

Oct 18, 2018, 12:33 PM

And their defense ranks 68th nationally in sacks with only 13. They've played nobody. What makes them think they're going to get to TL? They must be planning all out blitzes--no other way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: Why is NC State so confident?***

Oct 18, 2018, 12:34 PM

Clemson's SOS ranking is right around 40...

Oct 18, 2018, 12:47 PM

depending which ranking service you prefer.

Nancy State's is in the mid 60's

They've played absolutely no one especially defensively. Clemson is ranked 3rd nationally in total defense. Nancy State...35th

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Murderers Row schedule they have played is my guess

Oct 18, 2018, 1:02 PM

Mostly at home.

Breds confidence.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably based on the last two times they played us.***

As if that matters...AT ALL !!!!***

Oct 18, 2018, 1:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I expect that we are going to kill the coots because

Oct 18, 2018, 1:16 PM

I know that we did the last couple times we play them, and nothing huge has tipped the scale towards them to suggest that will change.

So if I am NC State, I expect to keep it close, at least, because the best version of Clemson football escaped by a fluke two years ago and couldn't put them away last year.

We are not that much better than we were in 2016. And they are not that much worse.

So from their perspective, I see why they expect it to be competitive.

Because they will "bring the lumber."

They were way more physical in Death Valley 2 years ago than we were.

Did not see the game in Raleigh last year, but you can bet the wolfies smell blood after 2 very close games in 16 and 17.

We really need to be ready for a "slobberknocker" of a football game Saturday.

Go Tigers!!!!!!

Oct 18, 2018, 1:06 PM

To say it a little differently, we get everyone’s ‘A’ game. Everyone gets up for us because beating us can make their season.

Two words.

Oct 18, 2018, 1:19 PM

Medical marijuana.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is NC State so confident?***

Oct 18, 2018, 1:24 PM

Because WVU cancelled their game because they were really scared

Oct 18, 2018, 1:27 PM

Dabo is crazy to play them this weekend, forecasted rain provides a valid excuse to cancel against them too.

Re: Because WVU cancelled their game because they were really scared

Oct 18, 2018, 1:54 PM

I hope it is rain, more rain, and even more rain. I hope I have to wear my scuba gear... but I think the rain will be long gone by then. I think bad weather will be an advantage for us and the running game difference but TL will make it rain anyways.

Oct 18, 2018, 1:29 PM

One word — coaching. Q outlined Doeren’s attributes and negatives very well this week but the guy is tough throwback and his team plays tough. Hopefully we beat their as$ but they won’t back down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2018, 1:43 PM

I think another telling statistic is that they rank 95th I believe in rushing offense. It's hard to win against solid teams on the road without a formidable running game.

Finley is throwing the ball almost 40x per game, and you can do that against weak defenses. But this is a whole new ball game.

I expect at least one pick and maybe even a strip-sack. Their offense will be way off-balanced, and way overmatched.

Faux confidence.

Oct 18, 2018, 2:34 PM

They've played their best football of the season against us the last two years and still can't win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

b/c the last 2 years we've been far & away more talented....

Oct 18, 2018, 3:21 PM

but yet we allowed them to keep it close.

they should be confident...........hopefully we decide that it's not going to be close this year.

Re: b/c the last 2 years we've been far & away more talented....

Oct 18, 2018, 3:37 PM

NC State had 7 players drafted last season...they lost a load of talent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because winners win and losers talk smack***

Oct 18, 2018, 3:23 PM

based on comments I've seen on social media NC State is WAYY

Oct 18, 2018, 3:26 PM

over confident.

It's like someone owes them a W because they played close with us the last two years.

It's time we step on their throats and remind them they aren't anywhere close to our level. They lost to the coots last year for pete's sake.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2018, 5:43 PM

We're a much better run defense. NCST hold teams to like 84% of their average, whereas we're like 48%. 70% is the threshold for being considered good.

Oct 20, 2018, 11:19 AM

NC State is confident for several reasons

1. Matchups: This NC State offense was designed to score against Clemson's style of defense. Drinkwitz along with every player on the roster were recruited specifically to counter Clemson's system. This means that NC State doesn't match up as well against defenses that counter that quick pass system well (like BC), but this season, even that hasn't mattered.

2. You can forget about stats: Overeliance on stats is why people are mistaking. Clemson has one of the top pass defenses in the nation right? Well they have played against 3 triple option teams who barely even attempted to pass. Clemson's front 7 is the best in the nation by far, but the pass D is very suspect. Very misleading statistically.

3. Special teams: NC State has lost games in recent years because of poor kicking and a Rayray punt return. Clemson's special teams is still much better than NC State, but the gap can't help but close with Dunn in as the new PK.

4. Schedule: NC State hasn't played anyone if you are basing everything off of the preseason rankings that thought florida state was the top contender. If you look at reality, UVA has been a suprise team this year and just beat Miami while most writers were picking BC as the darkhorse in the conference. NC State crushed both of those teams without much notice. These were both defensive minded teams and UVA has one of the nation's best secondary. They were not able to slow down the NC State offense. In fact, NC State ran better against these teams than they did against their cupcake opponents.

5. Ted Roof: Ted roof has a history of improving defenses immediately wherever he goes. NC State lost a lot of talent and everyone expected their 46th ranked defense from a year ago to fall off of a cliff, but Roof has them playing better. Don't expect to score as many points as last year.

I think Clemson will win the game but it will be very close. The one weak spot for this NC State team is redzone efficiency. Clemson's secondary will be able to focus on short routes in the redzone and nc state will have to challenge that godly front 7. This is where the game will be won or lost and NC State has been awful in the redzone all year.

If Clemson can bend but not break, and keep the WRs (who a fast group) in front of them, they will be fine on defense.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic