Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Todd Blackledge not surprised at Clemson's ranking, but advises caution
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

New Story: Todd Blackledge not surprised at Clemson's ranking, but advises caution

Nov 4, 2015, 12:50 PM

Todd Blackledge not surprised at Clemson's ranking, but advises caution

Todd Blackledge isn’t surprised Clemson sits atop the initial College Football Playoff rankings, but the college football analyst also cautions that winning out doesn’t guarantee the Tigers a spot in the final four. Photo by Andrew Weber / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Todd Blackledge

Nov 4, 2015, 12:54 PM

Disappointed in him. Obviously drinking the $EC kool-aid . . .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the polls had started next Tuesday,

Nov 4, 2015, 1:01 PM

the picture would've been a whole lot clearer!

the poll starts next Tuesday,

Nov 4, 2015, 1:18 PM

Whoever wins between OkSt and TCU is going to be in next weeks top 4. Either UA or LSU will drop 4 or 5 spots.... every position on the poll may change. The committee start with a blank slate based on the resume up to the point that they vote and previous polls nor other polls count.

We saw that at the end of last season... ND loss to Clemson is a better resume than Baylor beating SMU. Our win over Wofford does not count except on the stats.

Re: Todd Blackledge

Nov 4, 2015, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Todd Blackledge ]

Translation: "it's nice to see Clemson at #1 for now, but it will much nicer to see a "deserving" "$EC" team in that spot eventually"....

Whatever Homer!

Go Tigers!!

He's just saying it is possible, and it is. Hopefully, not

Nov 4, 2015, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Todd Blackledge ]

likely. But what if Bama beats LSU by a point or two, they would just swap positions. If OhSt wins out, they probably go up. If Baylor or TCU wins out, and impressively, it will be hard to keep the undefeated one out. We better hope ND doesn't get blown out by Stanford, because that would worsen our resume and send Stanford up with a bullet.

Our worst case scenario is Bama & LSU finishing with only one loss, an undefeated Big10 champ, and an undefeated Big12 champ, along with ND getting beat by Stanford. Stranger things have happened.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He's just saying it is possible, and it is. Hopefully, not

Nov 4, 2015, 1:50 PM

I believe ND will beat Stanford.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2015, 1:53 PM [ in reply to He's just saying it is possible, and it is. Hopefully, not ]

If an undefeated Clemson team gets left out and 1 or more 1 loss teams get in, I think I might have a mental breakdown.

If LSU loses a close game and both teams remain in the top 4, I just won't know what to do with myself.

I'm so sick of the SEC bias. That league is so overrated. The almight Alabama hasn't been almighty the last 3 or 4 years but they still give that team so much credit, even with one loss.

Nov 7, 2015, 9:50 AM [ in reply to He's just saying it is possible, and it is. Hopefully, not ]

Your scenario doesn't lock Clemson out.
We would still be in the top 4 and there is no way that I believe that an undefeated power 5 conference champ would ever get left out of the top 4. That would make a joke out of the playoff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is just telling the truth under the current system.....

Nov 4, 2015, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Todd Blackledge ]

Nothing should be taken for granted.

I'm thinking he was QB at Penn State. If so, what yrs?

Nov 4, 2015, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Todd Blackledge ]

1981?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Todd Blackledge

Nov 7, 2015, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Todd Blackledge ]

Todd is completely full of mud.
There is absolutely no way Clemson can be left out if they win out. It is such a stretch that only a complete idiot would even suggest it.
What does he think, a one loss SEC team can leap Clemson?
Why didn't he bother to lay out a scenario where Clemson gets left out??? He can't!

Never heard of him

Nov 4, 2015, 1:02 PM

But he's the only one who has said that we may not make it of we win out

He's part of the best PBP crew left on TV right now

Nov 4, 2015, 1:35 PM

Him and Brad Nessler.

Re: He's part of the best PBP crew left on TV right now

Nov 4, 2015, 3:08 PM

Agreed. Love to listen to Nessler and partner Blackledge, with Holly on the sideline on Saturday nights! Last Saturday after listening to the calls and PBP on the Clemson game, I turned over to the 700 game and Brad Nessler-he's got the voice!

Re: He's part of the best PBP crew left on TV right now

Nov 4, 2015, 7:55 PM [ in reply to He's part of the best PBP crew left on TV right now ]

I agree. He's a good guy who is just stating a potential fact. Win out and I think we're in - but you never know how the committee will vote. We can't be complacent.

Never heard of him? You must be really young.

Nov 4, 2015, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Never heard of him ]

Good for you. More power to you.

at the end of the day..

Nov 4, 2015, 1:07 PM

we are ranked number one and if we win out and dont get in then the system is broken..besides fsu because we prob wont be able to do it to them we need to blow out wakem,cuse and the coots to leave no doubts

Re: at the end of the day..

Nov 4, 2015, 1:24 PM

To stay in the conversation we have to win... we are ahead of LSU because ND is ahead of UF. IF ND slides and even if we beat FSU and then FSU slides, we slide... because then we will be like a Baylor with no quality wins.

If we win and LSU wins this week LSU will like move ahead of us and if TCU smokes OkSt they may move to #2.

You Don't Start Out

Nov 4, 2015, 1:17 PM

#1 and win out and then are left out. that's f'n idiotic. no one wants to play clemson. if tigers had been #4 to start, then you may have an issue. ncsu could beat a lot of folks. as well as louisville. schedule is not an issue. jeff long said as much. tigers beat nd who are #5 - enough said.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

FSU fell to #3 last year, and they were the ONLY undefeated

Nov 4, 2015, 1:35 PM

team. The committee showed their hand in two ways last night. They love the SEC, and they really love the "brand names" of Bama, OhSt & ND, because the argument can be made that all 3 of those are ranked a little too high.

Yes but FSU looked like garbage. Have we looked like garbage

Nov 4, 2015, 1:52 PM

Didnt think so.

Re: New Story: Todd Blackledge not surprised at Clemson's ranking, but advises caution

Nov 4, 2015, 1:21 PM

If we win out we're in.... It's that simple

Moronic

Nov 4, 2015, 1:21 PM

0% chance we get left out if undefeated.

Re: Moronic - I resemble that remark.

Nov 4, 2015, 1:30 PM

If OkSt, TCU or Baylor are undefeated then they are in.
If OSt or MSt or Iowa are undefeated then they are in.
If LSU is undefeated then they are in... and likely if Bama only has loss to Ol'Miss then thye are in.

If we win out we are at best #4 on the list. But not if a 1 loss Stanford blows out ND and a 1 loss Florida team blows out FSU. The we are left with no resume, our quality wins become dust in the wind.

If we lose a game we are out of the playoff conversation.

Yet Ohio State got a pass last year

Nov 4, 2015, 1:40 PM

Got beat two TD's....not a few points, not a last second score TWO TD's. Don't tell me this ain't a beauty contest.

We have to not only win out......we need to make a blood bath of our opponents

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oh yea

Nov 4, 2015, 1:43 PM

By a 7-6(3-5 ACC) Virginia Tech squad..........they should have gotten no consideration. They didn't earn it in the regular season. They may have won it all....but by these rules they shouldn't have been there.

100% Agree. They had no right to be there

Nov 4, 2015, 1:49 PM

And why is it assumed Ohio or Michy State is an auto-in if they win out. What resume do they have? Michigan? They will have at least 2 losses. Michy State? Has struggled with every 2-bit team on their schedule. OSU will have beaten no one but those two patsy's. Undefeated Clemson is in, period.

Re: 100% Agree. They had no right to be there

Nov 4, 2015, 2:08 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if we went undefeated or got left out.

Re: 100% Agree. They had no right to be there

Nov 4, 2015, 2:37 PM [ in reply to 100% Agree. They had no right to be there ]

You are forgetting about Iowa.

You young guys need to go easy on Todd Blackledge!

Nov 4, 2015, 1:25 PM

Without him, this might be the first time Clemson was ever ranked #1!

Back in '81 - he QBed Penn State to a win over then #1 Pitt. (Clemson was #2 at the time.)

So - a little history lesson tells us we need to cut him a little slack...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You young guys need to go easy on Todd Blackledge!

Nov 4, 2015, 1:45 PM

Great post! I think he does a great job on the air as well

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You young guys need to go easy on Todd Blackledge!

Nov 6, 2015, 12:21 PM [ in reply to You young guys need to go easy on Todd Blackledge! ]

Penn State was down 21 - 0 and JoePa turned Todd loose passing the ball and they came back to win 28 - 21. I always said I would buy him lunch at Mac's if I evet met him!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ohio got in last year with a really bad loss

Nov 4, 2015, 1:34 PM

Sounds like they are gonna give TCU or Baylor a pass into the game and try to leave the ACC out. They are already making excuses.

That said. We need to win out. We also need to stomp hell out of everyone.

Re: New Story: Todd Blackledge not surprised at Clemson's ranking, but advises caution

Nov 4, 2015, 1:53 PM

If we beat FSU, I think we stay at #1 or #2 the rest of the way....

Nov 4, 2015, 2:38 PM

I agree!

Nov 4, 2015, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Todd Blackledge not surprised at Clemson's ranking, but advises caution ]

Agree. Bama has a lot on the line this weekend just like Clemson does. If Bama loses, they're completely done (no SEC game, no possibility of being in the play off, etc.). If LSU loses, I think everything will stay the same. If Clemson loses, they're done too (No ACC game, out of the top 4, etc.). If Clemson wins, I believe we maintain. Even if the other teams we have already beat implode, I don't think it hurts us THAT much. There's no way if we win out that we're not in the final 4. The committee chairman explained why we were #1 and it was schedule but most importantly, style. We keep doing our thing and winning, there's nothing to worry about!

Nov 4, 2015, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Todd Blackledge not surprised at Clemson's ranking, but advises caution ]

A win over FSU and big wins over 'Cuse, Wake and Carolina should do the trick for the regular season rankings. A win over UNC or Duke in the ACC championship game should ensure our place in the final four. No doubt about it. Mostly everyone else will have a loss. Clemson just needs to keep winning.

I was thinking about this earlier.

Nov 4, 2015, 2:17 PM

After FSU, our SOS declines dramatically. Most of the other schools in the top 15 improves.

You picked a great year to suck, Coots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Todd Blackledge need to go to Mac's

Nov 4, 2015, 2:53 PM

Ask Pat for a Milkshake, and promptly get an attitude adjustment.

Re: Coots, Weak Florist, 'Cuse hurt our S.O.S.....he's 100%

Nov 4, 2015, 3:22 PM

correct. I still think we're in if we win out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Just win baby!***

Nov 4, 2015, 3:26 PM

Ill take a hit of what hes smoking

Nov 4, 2015, 3:27 PM

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side

Win and we ARE in

Nov 4, 2015, 4:35 PM

Got to keep dog stomping! Don't worry about polls! Keep the hammer going!

Nov 4, 2015, 4:36 PM

Play like somebody peed in your grits!

I'm sorry....

Nov 4, 2015, 8:45 PM

I don't remember seeing his name on the selection committee. He is guessing just like everyone else.

All this foolishness

Nov 4, 2015, 10:57 PM

is why there need to be 8 teams in the playoff.

Nov 4, 2015, 11:53 PM

Never heard of the dude. Got my victory dance on though. SOS Band ....we can do it!

Nov 5, 2015, 11:45 AM

I am excited about seeing the Tigers #1 but he could easily be correct. I can think of one scenario without trying too hard:
1. LSU beats Alabama Saturday, they will certainly jump us. (Committee will think more of Alabama win than ND win).
2. Ohio State wins out, they will jump us. (OSU will have beaten Michigan, MSU, and probably Iowa. You could possibly put Michigan State in this slot instead of OSU, if they win out, but since OSU won last year, they would be easier for the "committee" to move ahead of Clemson).
3. TCU, Baylor or Oklahoma State wins out, they will jump us. (The winner will have beaten the other 2 plus OU. Also, the "committee" does want to leave the Big 12 out 2 consecutive years).

Now we're on the bubble. Stanford wins out. Our ND win is diminished. Maybe a one loss team gets in? I am sure there are other ways. Lots of ifs, but it's possible. The point is, this is not totally in Clemson's control. But I am glad we're starting #1 instead of lower.

Keep winning Tigers!

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic