Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
GT recruiting is a dumpster fire
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 3,031

GT recruiting is a dumpster fire

Feb 7, 2013, 8:47 AM

Tech’s highest rated player is Shamire Devine, at No. 239.....so much for Paul Johnson coming in there and turning them into a power. They also lost their prized QB commitment yesterday to Ark.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don't seem to get the JohnsonLovers on here like we

Feb 7, 2013, 8:51 AM

used to.

I wish GT would get rid of him ASAP and start building a real football team. Just looking at all of the great players in GA that didn't go to Georgia, those kids could have gone to GT and been a part of a potentially good football team, but Tech doesn't have a real offense and that just kills them in recruiting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We don't seem to get the JohnsonLovers on here like we

Feb 7, 2013, 8:53 AM

I agree with everything you said except for "they dont have a real offense'....????

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

that defense and special teams are the problems

Feb 7, 2013, 8:54 AM

they can't get any good d linemen to come to GT for some reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that defense and special teams are the problems

Feb 7, 2013, 8:57 AM

Yes, They have problems all over, just like any other school not in the top 25, but their offense aint one of them. I dont care for Johnson, but their offense is 'pretty real'. I guess D Ford didnt run a real offense.

agreed....we both know that offense can put up points

Feb 7, 2013, 8:59 AM

but wherever he's been his defense has been awful....why is that?

Re: agreed....we both know that offense can put up points

Feb 7, 2013, 9:07 AM

well, for one, Tech aint the easiest place to get the 'type o' athlete' you need for what yer talking about (if u know what i mean). They seem to have one or two every 5 yrs, but thats about it. And PJ dont seem to have recruitin' high on his list of fun things to do...

he doesn't like to recruit does he...

Feb 7, 2013, 9:29 AM

he's arrogant enough to think that he can get a kid to GT if he would just listen to him he can turn him into the greatest player ever. Seems as though Gailey even with his NFL background enjoyed the recruiting better than PJ.

Their offense is what kills their recruiting. That and the

Feb 7, 2013, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: We don't seem to get the JohnsonLovers on here like we ]

"I'm the smartest person I know" attitude of their coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Their offense is what kills their recruiting. That and the

again, I agree about their coach, but we'll just hafta disagree about their O

The recruits don't seem to like that offense.

Feb 7, 2013, 9:13 AM

That was my point.

Regardless of your or my opinion of that offense, they can't get the quality of players that they had when he arrived to run that offense at a high enough level or the defenders that want to practice against it.

Re: The recruits don't seem to like that offense.

Feb 7, 2013, 9:16 AM

I agree that they have toget certain type of player to run it. No Sammy Watkins is going to sign up. But the defensive players practice against the scout team. You sound like the blowhards on the radio that never played anything....;)

No wonder they suck, they never go good on good and their

Feb 7, 2013, 9:37 AM

scholarship defensive players never have to play on the scout team.

You sound like one of those blowhards on a bulletin board who never played anything...:)

you do realize most teams practice against a scout team most

Feb 7, 2013, 9:39 AM

of the week to give them a look of the upcoming opponent.....really hoping my sarcasm meter is beeping off the hook.

Disagree to a certain extent

Feb 7, 2013, 9:26 AM [ in reply to The recruits don't seem to like that offense. ]

to run a triple option you need OL. You don't need the mega RB recruit or the superstar QB.

One thing though that is hurting them is a little out of their control. GT doesn't have much leverage in Atlanta and many Atlanta schools have gone more to the spread vs the pro-style or more ground and pound. 5 years ago, Atlanta high school football was very much ground based. Now you look at some of the bigger schools like Lassister, McEachern, Gainesville, Pope etc and they are running the spread. Parkview, Brookwood, Buford, Kell were running more traditional offenses when GT was getting higher recruited players. The local OL are now coming from passing attacks and not running games.

to your post below it's a very mixed environment in town

Feb 7, 2013, 9:33 AM

in the area I live I've met maybe 4-5 people in the past 10 yrs who are from here....it's a melting pot region with people coming here from all over as a result there aren't a lot of long term relationships built. On top of that the coach at GA is a warm fuzzy guy...Richt has come and spoken at my church and you can see why the parents love him....he's a nice guy. PJ is the exact opposite...he's a jerk.

It seems we agree that they can't recruit the players they

Feb 7, 2013, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Disagree to a certain extent ]

need to run that system. Given all of the talent in the state of Georgia, they should be able to get some talent with the proper system. The used to get some great players. Now, they aren't getting any.

they need a good qb and a good fb to run that system

Feb 7, 2013, 9:35 AM

the qb to make good decisions and that is willing to stick his nose in there...they haven't had that since Nesbitt left...Dwyer was perfect for that system as well...played at Kell down the street from me. If you look at PJ's best team it came with Gailey's old recruits...only time he beat GA was with Gailey's players.

Wonder why more talented offensive and defensive players

Feb 7, 2013, 9:50 AM

don't want to play on his team?

I guess thats my point

Feb 7, 2013, 10:22 AM [ in reply to It seems we agree that they can't recruit the players they ]

they haven't been getting the recruiting splash talent to run any system in a long time. They weren't tearing up the recruiting under Gailey or O'Leary.

I think there is a fundamental issue with GT in attracting elite HS talent. So its not Johnson's system. In my mind, the triple option would be a good idea because you don't need the elite talent to run it.

But I will grant you, Johnson's personality might turn players (and families) off.

I think their recruiting has fallen way off since Johnson

Feb 7, 2013, 10:41 AM

arrived. It wasn't great under Gailey, but it was pretty good and was much better than it is now. They were actually getting some NFL talent on both sides of the ball. That was party of Gailey's problem - better talent than performance. Now, not so much. People seem to forget they won a national championship 20 years ago - more recently than we have.

I guess I don't really buy the argument that they can't recruit much much better than they do in one of the top recruiting states in the country and they can be an ACC title contender, with the right coach.

I don't know if it's their offense or PJ and the school

Feb 7, 2013, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Their offense is what kills their recruiting. That and the ]

itself....we're not talking about a traditional college atmosphere. The AJC has articles constantly of people being mugged around the campus. It's not a really safe environment down there for someone to be walking by themselves at night. PJ is an arrogant jerk.

That O is El Cidlike, no? I like it at El Cid.***

Feb 7, 2013, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Re: We don't seem to get the JohnsonLovers on here like we ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they can continue their decline under him for our sakes

Feb 7, 2013, 8:53 AM [ in reply to We don't seem to get the JohnsonLovers on here like we ]

the state of GA puts out a ton of recruits....impossible for them to get all of them but there were a ton who left the state this year.

Georgia’s top five prospects in the composite rankings will head across state lines to play college football.

When a Robert Nkemdiche & a Mont Adams both get out of the

Feb 7, 2013, 8:58 AM

state of Georgia in the same year, either something is badly wrong with Dawg recruiting or something is fishy with the players themselves.

I've always chaffed a bit at the smug adage about Peach State players ... "If Georgia wants'em, Georgia gets'em." ... but in my heart, I know it's true ... or at least it always WAS true in the past.

UGA didn't seem to try too very hard to recruit either one of these guys. Did they think they wouldn't have to actively recruit in-state kids, or did they just not want them all that badly??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

big change this year

Feb 7, 2013, 9:00 AM

Georgia's recruiting coordinator left for Auburn where he played....Rodney Garner....used to work for Fulmer when he was rolling at UT...came to GA and their recruiting improved.

I agree...what is UGA's final ranking? 30th?***

Feb 7, 2013, 9:04 AM [ in reply to When a Robert Nkemdiche & a Mont Adams both get out of the ]

scout has them at #9

Feb 7, 2013, 9:06 AM

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2013

oh...***

Being #9 places them squarely at 5th place in the SEC ...

Feb 7, 2013, 5:58 PM

For that reason alone not trying particularly hard to get Nkemdiche and Adams to Athens is curious ... isn't it ??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We don't seem to get the JohnsonLovers on here like we

Feb 7, 2013, 9:59 AM [ in reply to We don't seem to get the JohnsonLovers on here like we ]

And wonder where all the ones that said we should have hired Johnson rather than Dabo? How do they think that would have worked out now?

When has GT ever had a highly ranked class?

Feb 7, 2013, 9:02 AM

I can't remember the last time they were in the top 20 after a signing day.

good point...put some players into the NFL

Feb 7, 2013, 9:03 AM

but never can get a lot of kids out of GA to stay home.

Atlanta doesn't have much loyalty to a particular school

Feb 7, 2013, 9:11 AM

There is just so many new residents that its not like either UGA or GT have a stranglehold on the area. Outside Atlanta its UGA, Auburn to the west, Alabama to the Northwest, FSU to the Southwest and UF south. GT is almost an afterthought. UGA has more opportunities in football in the metro atlanta area. But if you look at other sports like basketball and baseball, its obvious that neither school has the metro locked down.

GT has a lot going against it in terms of recruiting. Their best players from a recruiting standpoint have almost fallen in their laps because of location (Ball, Johnson, Dwyer). Johnson's system should work in a situation like GT where they can't get the blue chippers year in and year out. But Johnson might be the one to hold them back.

it just seems like GT "could" be a great program with their

Feb 7, 2013, 10:00 AM

location, state, etc. I'm glad they're not but you would think if they put up some real money to go get a top 10 coaching prospect (not top 10 team who's coaching now...unless they could pull it off) but one of the top coaching prospects that can recruit, you'd think GT could start to be a perennial contender. But you gotta have playmakers to compete with UGA and until they get that they'll always be down the totem pole in our region.

I know their fans suck and their stadium isn't all that attractive but if you put money into renovations, upgrades at all levels then you can make it turn in your favor. Guess thats why Radakovich left, b/c they're not willing to allocate money to that stuff. But if GT had a legit up and coming program they would've snagged one or two of the top players in the state of Georgia.

The performance of their current QB against USC

Feb 7, 2013, 9:16 AM

probably had something to do with that.

Either way, GT doesn't out talent other teams, they outcoach. Recruiting rankings are meaningless to them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The performance of their current QB against USC

Feb 7, 2013, 10:55 AM

lol poor Uttles.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

and SCar's is the kindling***

Feb 7, 2013, 11:19 AM

Replies: 37
| visibility 3,031
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic