Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speaking of the 1978 Gator Bowl, I'm pretty sure
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Speaking of the 1978 Gator Bowl, I'm pretty sure

Dec 26, 2019, 7:08 PM

I watched that on a 19" RCA "Color TV" with rabbit ears at a friend's house. It had what was called a "picture tube". It required constant tweaking of knobs and dials to get it just right - and it still wasn't right. Can you imagine watching a game on one of those things today? Sometimes I miss the good old days, but this ain't one of those times!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Watched it on a fancy Curtis Mathis console color TV...

Dec 26, 2019, 7:13 PM

...at my parent's house. Had to dial in that chimney mounted antenna just right though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Imagine what kind of TV you could get now for what

Dec 26, 2019, 7:23 PM

that thing cost, even without adjusting for inflation!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Quit braggin'...

Dec 26, 2019, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Watched it on a fancy Curtis Mathis console color TV... ]

Not everyone could afford one of those "... fancy Curtis Mathis console color TV..."!

:)

But we did have to adjust the chimney mounted antenna to get a quality picture on the old RCA (console).

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Speaking of the 1978 Gator Bowl, I'm pretty sure

Dec 26, 2019, 7:24 PM

One good thing...TV broadcasts were free.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Some still are!***

Dec 26, 2019, 7:26 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Some still are!***

Dec 26, 2019, 7:43 PM

Not where I live--no reception.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Some still are!***

Dec 26, 2019, 9:27 PM

I have poor reception for regular antenna myself. But people a short distance in any direction, not bad.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2019, 7:25 PM

I was 15 and went to the game. However, I rode in the back of an orange Vega station wagon that was loaded with the back seat laid down. I believe I would be over 6 ft tall had I not made that 5 hr trek there and back.

Dec 26, 2019, 7:46 PM

I was 7 and watched it on TV with my mama and grandma. When CB made the interception and then Woody Hayes threw the punch my mama and grandma went crazy. That may be when I became addicted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2019, 8:48 PM

I had just bought a Magnavox VCR'a for $1,000 (in 1978 dollars)... The VCR'a tape (i still have it), cost $25... After i paid off THAT mortgage (LOL) i got a rotor so i did not have to turn the pipe holding the antenna 1" and go back inside, check the picture, rinse and repeat... Living in the Stone Age was tough...

I remember getting a VHS tape of that game...

Dec 26, 2019, 9:11 PM

...as a Christmas present. The official one, not boot-legged lol.

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Dec 26, 2019, 9:27 PM

My granddad was always on the cutting edge of technology. First in town with a washing machine, first to have a TV, etc...
By the 70's, he had an antenna on the roof, with a dial next to his recliner to remotely control the antenna direction, and he calibrated the dial perfectly for each specific TV station. Of couse he was a Clemson Engineering alum. ;)

and I bet you could still tell that Woody Hayes punched

Dec 26, 2019, 9:53 PM

Charlie Bauman while the producers and announcers for ABC ignored it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2019, 10:27 PM

Got in an altercation with a bucknuts fan. Arrogant mf. Was in the endzone about 10 rows up. Right by the tunnel. He got ticked off because we were jumping up and down and happened to step on his garnet sweater.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2019, 10:39 PM

I was there. Stayed where the band was. Didnt know what had happened until the news the next am.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic