Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Top 10 Plays in Clemson History?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Top 10 Plays in Clemson History?

Jun 21, 2019, 10:32 AM

I chose these based on a combination of context, importance, and memorable-ness (if that's a thing).

10. Watson Hurdles NCST
In (I believe) his 2nd start ever, Watson went up and over NC State for a TD--it's one of the only plays I've ever seen in person where I said to the person next to me "I can't believe I just saw that!" Turns out #4 was pretty good. (:41)

https://youtu.be/bM84BwOvATk?t=41

9. Tigers Stop Irish 2-Point Conversion in Thousand Year Storm
This one had it all--ranked matchup, blue-blood opponent, flooding rains, a furious comeback, and an all-time goal-line stand! Signaled to the CFB that Clemson was back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lAUyLqMzlw

8. 4th and 16
Still the gutsiest performance I can remember from a Clemson QB from Boyd that night--he stood in the pocket and took hit after hit from a loaded LSU Defense, including on this play. Clemson wasn't supposed to win this game, they weren't supposed to beat LSU, not an SEC team, not on 4th and 16. You can draw a direct line from the 4 Playoff bids, the 2 Nattys, from all of it to this win in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx4nJ3QkjIQ

7. "Kamichael Hall? See ya! Kenny Scott? Goodbye!"
Still the greatest play I've ever seen in person--CJ Spiller absolutely destroyed the entire GT Defense in the blink of an eye. It was the first time College Gameday had ever been to campus, featured two top-13 teams, and the Tigers showed out for a national TV audience--Davis and Spiller ran wild and the Tiger D held Calvin Johnson to ZERO catches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIT-3gcAR8

6. "The Catch II"
Rod Gardner's catch on a long pass from Woody Dantzler set up the game-winning FG from Aaron Hunt to rip out the Gamecocks' hearts yet again in 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sv8YN7nOV4

5. "The Catch"
The original, still better, IMO--Jerry Butler went up and twisted for an amazing TD thrown by Steve Fuller to beat the Gamecocks in the waning seconds in 1977.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OgzrC_JOgM

4. AJ Terrell Pick-6 in Natty
This one set the stage for Clemson's performance in the 2018 National Title Game and showed everyone that Clemson is the one team who isn't intimidated of Alabama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPPiMcHFwnU

3. Charlie Bauman's INT in '78 Gator Bowl
This play sealed a win against the vaunted OSU Buckeyes, was Danny Ford's first win as HC, and announced to the CFB world that Little Ole Clemson was going to be a force in the coming years. The thing that happened after the play is even more important in CFB history--HOF Coach Woody Hayes punched Charlie Bauman on national TV! He was fired the next day. As revenge, generations of Ohio Americans have stormed the beaches of SC every year starting in late April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVJyf0ft3I

2. Perry Tuttle TD in the Natty
Arguably the most memorable play in the 1981 National Championship Game. Helped the Tigers claim their first Natty ever and got Perry on the cover of Sports Illustrated. (1:38:20)

https://youtu.be/7h0nLg7wrW4?t=5900

1. Watson-to-Renfrow
You could certainly argue that Tuttle's TD, or another play from the '81 Championship should be Number 1 but A) I wasn't around in '81 and B) I think the narrative of this play is more compelling: Clemson had wandered in the desert for 35 years, drew a re-match with the biggest bully on the block (and maybe in CFB history), a former walk-on HC coaching against his alma mater, and the game-winning TD goes to, you guessed it, a walk-on. You can't make this stuff up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IVRNumSofg

Probably a little recency bias. What plays would you include and why?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Considering the importance of a single play,4th & 6 by Brice

Jun 21, 2019, 11:42 AM

vs. Syracuse, has to be in the top 10! And the amazing Leggett catch in the 2016 Natty final drive, has to be up there too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good call on Chase Brice's throw!

Jun 21, 2019, 12:04 PM

Wanted to try to avoid multiple from the same season.

Re: Good call on Chase Brice's throw!

Jun 21, 2019, 12:57 PM

I get that but (IMO0 that was the most important play of last season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Considering the importance of a single play,4th & 6 by Brice

Jun 21, 2019, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Considering the importance of a single play,4th & 6 by Brice ]

agree

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

all wonderful moments in Clemson football history

Jun 21, 2019, 12:29 PM

one might debate the ranking, but there wouldn't be much discussion about the inclusion of all those plays......any thought given to the Louisville game at DV when the Tigers stopped the Cardinals and Lame-arr Jackson on 4th down when their moron rb/wr stepped out of bounds early??

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was the only other thing I considered including at #10-

Jun 21, 2019, 12:49 PM

Something from the '16 Louisville game: either Artavis Scott's KOR in the 4th, JL's TD catch, or the 4th down stop, but I didn't want 2 plays from the '16 season.

The context of DW4's leaping TD was not particularly memorable but that play has always stuck with me as a special display of his abilities.

Re: all wonderful moments in Clemson football history

Jun 21, 2019, 12:56 PM [ in reply to all wonderful moments in Clemson football history ]

Was always a big fan of the Terry Allen run before half at FSU.

Dont have an issue with any of those. Good list acevans***

Jun 21, 2019, 12:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Jamie Harper's fumble against Bama

Jun 21, 2019, 1:11 PM

We ended up getting crushed after that, the season went downhill and ultimately Dabo got the job. Without that play, who knows where we'd be today.

Similarly, the fumble on the goal line against WVU in the Orange Bowl. The floodgates opened up after that and we know what the result was. Shortly thereafter Brett Venerables was hired as our DC and the rest is history. Without that play, who knows where we'd be today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Compelling point on the WVU fumble--disagree on the

Jun 21, 2019, 1:27 PM

Jamie Harper play. I think Bama would've run us off the field regardless of that play. That '08 team was poorly coached and bad on the LOS. No one realized it at the time but we just happened to run into a buzzsaw that had just started buzzing!

Great list, but I would have to

Jun 21, 2019, 1:43 PM

switch #4 and #3.

Also, I would move #8 and #9 higher.

And one other thing, Chase Brice to Tee Higgins 4th and 7 needs to be somewhere on the list.

Wait a minute, I thought that play was 4th and 6?***

Jun 21, 2019, 3:28 PM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

+1 for the correct answer; it wasn't even that long ago.***

Jun 21, 2019, 3:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Top 10 Plays in Clemson History?

Jun 21, 2019, 1:49 PM

Great list! Gaines Adam's block field goal against Wake was an awesome play. I know it wasnt the greatest stage, but the play itself was huge!!!

Jun 21, 2019, 3:21 PM

and Gaines play changed the whole game which Clemson won

FANTASTIC PLAY

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2019, 2:13 PM

What about "the tackle"

Jun 21, 2019, 3:22 PM

agree on Renfrow's play

Definately the most impactful play that year...

Jun 23, 2019, 4:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 Plays in Clemson History? ]

Bama walks in on that play and I don't know if we recover.

Jun 21, 2019, 2:22 PM

Can’t believe no one has mentioned 86 and 87 Treadwell kicks to beat Georgia. I can only imagine what that 87 game must have been like in Death Valley.

I would put this close to top 10 --- safety in 1987 UGA game

Jun 21, 2019, 2:31 PM

https://youtu.be/PNYE_Aqu2zk?t=16383

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: I would put this close to top 10 --- safety in 1987 UGA game

Jun 21, 2019, 2:34 PM

congratulations on reaching 20,000 TU's....AGAIN!!!! You're probably the only one who can say that on TNET!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty good list

Jun 21, 2019, 2:46 PM

Watson Hurdle was sweet but I dunno if that is worthy of making top 10. Definitely worthy of an honorable mention

I'd probably put 4th & 16 as high as 3

A couple others for consideration could be Woody's TD scramble vs GT, Sammy TD vs UGA, Spiller kick return TD vs MD when he ran out of his shoe.

Jun 21, 2019, 3:45 PM

Steve Fuller's touchdown passes of 87 yards to Jerry Butler and 62 yards to Dwight Clark for Clemson against Maryland at Maryland - 1978 - Clemson won ACC

1981 Championship game - Homer Jordan to Perry Tuttle td pass

October, 2011 - Tajh Boyd threw four touchdown passes, freshman Sammy Watkins scored three TDs and No. 8 Clemson rallied from an 18-point deficit against Maryland to remain unbeaten with a 56-45 victory - Sammy returned a kickoff 89 yards

November 2012 - Tajh Boyd's eight touchdowns — five passing and three rushing — that led the No. 9 Tigers (10-1, 7-1 Atlantic Coast) to a 62-48 win over North Carolina State.

There are also others including CJ against BC where we don't win the game without CJ's plays and then he got hurt.

Jun 21, 2019, 3:49 PM

My bad - I also forgot Treadwell's kicks

Two of these plays came against the Georgia Bulldogs in 1986 and 1987 on last second field goals. On September 20th, 1986, Treadwell kicked a 46-yard field goal with no time on the clock to give the Tigers a dramatic 31-28 victory over the Bulldogs in Athens.

The next year on September 19th, 1987, Treadwell kicked a 21-yard field goal with two seconds remaining to give the Tigers a thrilling 21-20 victory over Georgia in Death Valley.

Jun 21, 2019, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Top 10 Plays in Clemson History? ]

Somewhere in here...you have to mention that catch by Leggett to get us inside the 10 yard line in the final minute against bama.

You know which one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2019, 4:04 PM

agree on Leggett's catch - I still don't know how he made it and I was there

GO TIGERS

HTH

Jun 23, 2019, 4:45 AM

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/18442372

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2019, 8:15 PM

Safety to win 51 Orange Bowl, Allen’s run to set up Treadwell 87 FG vs Ga, 89 Gator Bowl sack and fumble of Major Harris by Chester, recovery of the lateral at CH in 81, Aaron Kelly 4th down catch vs SC in 2007, Seckinger TD vs Ga in 2013, Renfrow TD at Auburn in 2016, many more

Jun 23, 2019, 7:30 AM

I would say the Boyd/Hopkins completion to setup the FG to beat LSU should be higher as it set the stage for success. #2 would be the entire Orange Bowl versus WV as that got BV to come over to be D coordinator. Just where would we be without BV/Greenbeans here at CU?

Two come to mind

Jun 23, 2019, 7:49 AM

Jacoby Fords walk of touchdown in OT @ top 10 Miami

The 4th qtr safety to set up David Treadwell's game winning fg on my birthday against UGA

Jun 23, 2019, 7:50 AM

good list

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leggett's catch has to be somewhere. Most difficult catch

Jun 23, 2019, 8:02 AM

I've seen in a long time and the throw Watson made while getting killed was just stuff of legends.

Great list, though.

Great list...but in my humble opinion you

Jun 23, 2019, 8:14 AM

cannot have this list without either of the Treadwell kicks vs. UGA in 86 and 87.

Watson vs. NC State can come off the list if you need a spot :)

It was a great play, but insignificant.

Great offseason thread, though! Thanks for sharing.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're going to need a bigger list. Good stuff!***

Jun 23, 2019, 8:54 AM

Re: We're going to need a bigger list. Good stuff!***

Jun 23, 2019, 9:46 AM

just can not forget the two catches made by DC to set up "The Catch". They never get mentioned but to remember we had a running team with two great future pros on that team. These seem just an after thought now, but for a game against OOglie that we gave away, we might have been playing for a Natty in 1978.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic