Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Keys to 2015 season? National media has it half right
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 4,487

New Story: Keys to 2015 season? National media has it half right

May 26, 2015, 8:18 AM

Keys to 2015 season? National media has it half right

The national media has its own ideas about what has to happen for Clemson's 2015 season to be special, and keeping Deshaun Watson healthy and Clemson's defense top their lists. I think they are half right. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree 100%***

May 26, 2015, 8:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

If you're not going to give him 110%, then ..........

May 26, 2015, 9:08 AM

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The touchback is a highly under-rated defensive stat***

May 26, 2015, 9:11 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Already thin at DE and lost ebo

May 26, 2015, 9:58 AM

Who looked like the third man and questions at second corner, good lbs for sure but the level of Anthony and steward? No. Depth across DL.....we will see but it is my number one concern so I disagree. The season will hold the answer but I bet defense ends outside the top 20. I think descent but not great. Something like 25 to 30 ish, maybe even 35. Keep in mind of our offense is what I think it might be that is plenty good to be an overall really good team.

over the last 5 years the 35th ranked scoring defense has

May 26, 2015, 10:12 AM

allowed ~23 pts /game, which is +5ish more than cu gave up in 2014.

clemson might have to win a shootout or two, maybe nd & gt and that's why i imagine keeping dw healthy is such a concern?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Already thin at DE and lost ebo

May 26, 2015, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Already thin at DE and lost ebo ]

I think we are young on the DL not thin.... We have 4 or 5 with experience and 4 or 5 more than can and will play... We never had the depth on the DL under TB we have this year... I do not expect us to repeat as #1 D, that came from the leadership of Jarrett, Beasley, Smith and Anthony... We never know who the leaders will be until they step up.
I do have confidence in Boulware, Alexander and Kearse to keep the D focused, I am not as sure if we have that leader on the DL?

Re: New Story: Keys to 2015 season? National media has it half right

May 26, 2015, 10:19 AM

Key is keeping DW healthy. I beleive that the Offensive players returning, along with the redshirts and freshman, are going to have to really step up. Special Teams can be bolstered by key starters on both sides of the ball. Tigers have lots of speed in the receivers and d-backs which would be a great asset on kick and punt returns. Defense, I don't know if they can replicate the numbers from last year, but there is an awful lot of raw talent there to use. Coach Venables will have his hands full figuring out the best group to start, but hopefully summer workouts will help him when fall practice starts. Plenty of usable depth on both sides of the ball with the players on the team. Just got to figure out who is ready to give 110% and play hard and smart. GO TIGERS!!!

In 2010 Auburn ranked in the 90s in total defense.

May 26, 2015, 10:20 AM

It helps to have a great QB and be a lower scoring defense.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

How good was the defense in 2012?

May 26, 2015, 10:28 AM

It wasn't, and I expect this year's defense to be much better than that one and the offense to be more explosive, too.

It really comes down to matchups. We could have a worse team than 2013 but a better season. FSU isn't likely to have their all-time best team in 2015.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think this offense will be better than 2012's?

May 26, 2015, 11:16 AM

That team was 8th in ypg at 513 and 6th in ppg at 41. We also ran the ball fairly well and were 5th in the country in 3rd down conv at 51.5% which is stellar. We were pretty terrible at converting 3rd downs last season, partially due to Watson missing games, but also because we were horrible and couldn't run a lick on 3rd and short. That will really need to improve.

This offense has some great pieces, but to expect them to outperform that 2012 offense is really asking a lot. The defense will be better though. We were 65th in total D and 48th in points allowed that year.

Overall, i expect our team to be at least on that level, and with the potential to be better, but i think it will primarily be due to the fact that the 2012 D was pretty bad, and this one will be pretty good.

I think if we are more solid at the lines then we could be

May 26, 2015, 1:22 PM

more consistent which is what our program needs down the stretch. Especially on offense.
I expect our d-line to not be quite as effective, but we have better linebackers and secondary than we did in 2012.

If Watson stays healthy, with the weapons he has around him

May 26, 2015, 1:29 PM [ in reply to You think this offense will be better than 2012's? ]

This year's O could make the 2012 offense look like a Billy Napier coached offense. Assuming the Co-OC thing works out and all. Hey, how'd that offense do in the bowl game, with a Div. II QB??

Not sure you realize how ridiculous you sound. You think

May 26, 2015, 3:44 PM

our 2015 offense is going to make the best offense in school history look like one from 2010 that i would rather forget? That's just absurd. I think people are forgetting just how good that 2012 offense was.

May 26, 2015, 10:51 AM

So I am happy I wasn't the only person that heard we had some protection issues on the offensive field goal unit. I am not worried about Teasdall or Lakip. I am more worried about protecting them. I worry about Watson. I also think he's behind a much better o-line than most of us think. I was never worried about the defense or the defensive line. I think it will be the same as last year. Go ahead and double Shaq. Then you set loose Watkins and Reader. Dodd maybe more special than we realize. I know we may not be the #1 defense but it won't be from production. It will be from experience. They'll come along. Remember, part of the rotation on defense included the four assumed starters on the line, Ben Boulware, B.J Goodson and TJ Green. So it will be the new rotation taking some time to gel and wreak havoc on opposing offensive lines. Other than the Special teams protection, we will be fine.

'15 and O....***

May 26, 2015, 11:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need a talented, solid backup QB. Just ask Ohio State.***

May 26, 2015, 1:13 PM

Think about this for a minute....

May 26, 2015, 2:33 PM

Was the back ends of Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon defenses anywhere close to the back end of Clemson's defense? Then ask, where their defensive fronts as disruptive? In a bowl game, Clemson put a 245lb running back on the ground in the backfield for most of the night. Cardell's success was a product of:

1) Teams who did not defend the pass well all year

2) Teams who could not take away parts of their offense.

I am not saying Cardell isn't a good QB. Nor am I disputing he wasn't effective. But in the three games he played verses the three teams he played against, he got very lucky.

I don't see how you can spin his injuries being non-contact

May 26, 2015, 3:10 PM

as a positive. He made a normal cut vs. GT and crumpled. That means it can happen at any time.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That knee ligament was torn in high school.

May 26, 2015, 3:47 PM

It's likely that the straw that broke the camel's back came because of the development of his muscles. It's similar to the awkward stage that happens around puberty. Adjusting to the rate of muscle and bone growth is difficult. In other words, he didn't have the muscles to finish the tendon's tear until he was a year in college workouts. The growth curve has flattened now and the ligament will be fully healed before he starts practice this summer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2015, 3:31 PM

Good teams that are built solid on the defensive and offensive lines don't depend on luck, they make plays by doing their jobs in the trenches. And we seem to be better on both sides of the ball at the same time than we have been since the Ford days. Being FB smart and mentally tough has nothing to do with good or bad luck, it's about coaching and recruiting. And we all have witnessed that our coaching and recruiting has been really good. We have enough excellent offensive weapons for DW4 with an improved offensive line that we should be able to score enough points on anybody we play to win the game without putting DW4 in many risky situations to move the ball. IMO we will be better than most outsiders thinks we will be.

There will always be freak accidents, just like Watson's finger being broken bc of the way it jammed into the Louisville players helmet applying a stiff arm, freak accident. DW4 tearing his ACL in practice, it to is one of those freakish thing that happens to athletes all the time that you can't prepare for or see it coming. Is Watson accident prone, is he weak and brittle as some are suggesting. IMO I don't think that he is any of those things, he was a true freshman breaking big time Clemson records and got banged up doing it bc of his will to win and not being in top college FB shape. I think that he is one of those athletes that will hang it all on the line to win bc losing is totally unacceptable to athletes like DW4. That is what every coach in the country saw in Watson playing HS FB, the will to win. Clemson coaches were the ones that did all the right things that made it possible to bring in that type talent, with that drive, that character, that type athleticism to Clemson with every BIG time program in the country was after him and he knew they were just as good as we are, maybe some better;) and he chose Clemson. Before Dabo and his coaching staff were at Clemson, the DW4 type of talent went to the Bama's of college FB. If Watson can't hold up to the college level FB, that means that the best of the best in college coaching was wrong about him coming out of HS, but I believe they were all right about DW4, he is the real deal. Let the ink and paper talkers talk and write, bc we all know how often they are right, NEVER!!!

And yes, we did have a load of good players leave through graduation and to the NFL. We lost a lot of NFL type talent off mainly the D side of the ball that were mainly coached and developed by BV. BV didn't go anywhere, he is still at Clemson, and he will be coaching another stockpile of NFL type talent that most of us believe is just as good and maybe by the time their done at Clemson will be better than some of our best that just left to play on Sunday. For me personally, I'm not going to start getting bent out of shape about what the folks that are never right are saying. We don't get to see what our coaches will have ready to start our season off with until September 5th, and they don't either. The never right folks will say and waste an awful lot of ink with THEIR opinion that won't mean chit to anybody after the season starts. Just listen to them, they will be wrong with about 95% of what they will say from now through the first month of the season. Then they will try and make it sound like they were saying I told you so with if if if if it went this or that way.

Not one of the never right crew will say, with Watson healed up from his injuries that happen in his true freshman season, Clemson will be the team you better look out for this season. Watson has his body in college FB shape as a true sophomore, and Clemson will be one of the highest scoring offenses this season with a healthy DW4 under center with an improved offensive line. They would rather bash Clemson and DW4 and claim he is injury prone and brittle until Watson shoves their words down their throat with them back peddling saying we knew if he could hold up to college level FB he would take Dabo and his Clemson team to the 4 team playoffs. Most of them don't like Dabo mainly bc he is doing great things at Clemson. For 52 years I've seen and heard the same things about that little ole school in the sticks (that nobody knows where it is) down in Pickens county just inside the border of South Carolina, they're always thinking they can compete in big time college FB. If Dabo would have taken over Bama when they were down and brought them back to where they are, Dabo would have been no different than God Saban, and it's much harder to do at Clemson than at Bama as far as recruiting to both schools. Dabo never gets the credit that he deserved at Clemson from the media. If Dabo keeps it all together at Clemson, He's not far from forcing respect, and we won't hear the media calling him Dabo, we will hear them him Coach Swinney at Clemson University. I'm one of the worst about calling him Dabo, but he has earned the title of Coach Swinney from me also... Coach Swinney!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only thing that should be a concern is DW

May 26, 2015, 4:41 PM

Staying healthy. If he plays every game this year, we will a special season. Ican see ever DE will concern people, but we have plenty of depth. I know they are inexperienced but we have enough talent on D to cover that up. Special teams will be fine they just need a little more practice and i think there mistakes will be corrected over the summer and into fall camp. This is probably the deepest team talent and depth wise that we've seen in a long time At Clemson

Replies: 21
| visibility 4,487
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic