Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Net Neutrality Lol
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Net Neutrality Lol

Nov 11, 2014, 4:34 PM

I don't know what it is, but I'm against it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

basically means

Nov 11, 2014, 4:36 PM

if someone says something stupid on the internet that another has to say something the opposite and equally stupid

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are they going to call it the franc rule?

Nov 11, 2014, 4:38 PM

If not, they should.

possibly***

Nov 11, 2014, 4:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are they going to call it the franc rule?

Nov 12, 2014, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Are they going to call it the franc rule? ]

you need to be careful, franc is an expert on everything.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that explains The Oatmeal's cartoon***

Nov 11, 2014, 4:42 PM [ in reply to basically means ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Serious Question Cam

Nov 11, 2014, 4:44 PM

Would you say that it is a corporations duty to make as much money as possible, through any legal channels available?

Re: Serious Question Cam

Nov 11, 2014, 5:02 PM

It is, but I don't think there's a simple way of determining what the best way of doing that is. I certainly don't think that regulating to lock things into the way they supposedly were 20 years ago because we're afraid of something that's hardly ever happened in the US is obviously the right way to do things. Then again, maybe the problem is so serious that we should prefer "net neutrality" over potential innovation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"potential innovation" over "known innovation"

Nov 11, 2014, 5:37 PM

as in net neutrality is a decision between keeping the ideas and ideals in place that have created innovation (locking in how things were 20 years ago and today) vs removing them because ISPs promise "future innovation."

Well, yeah, that's what innovation is***

Nov 11, 2014, 5:39 PM

Or in other words

Nov 11, 2014, 5:47 PM

We've had a bunch of innovation under the current internet set up. Should we be willing to trade that for ISP's unknown innovation? We've come a long way with the current system, why does it need to change?

But that's not what we're talking about, right?

Nov 11, 2014, 6:07 PM

Aren't we talking about reclassification of the internet under Title II of the Communications Act so that it would become a public utility? The current regulatory regime already includes some net neutrality principles that are soft-pedaled by the FCC. Net neutrality advocates are protesting in front of the Commissioner of the FCC's house not because he would completely get rid of net neutrality in new rules that will be proposed in 2015, but because they don't believe those rules go far enough.

Net Neutrality wasn't even a rule until 2010, when the FCC proposed to make regulation of ISPs more like regulation of telephone service providers. As we all know, there has been LOTS of innovation among telephone service providers... So the issue is locking in a regulatory structure that doesn't fit the medium very well. Some Republicans would argue that the current regulatory system has encouraged innovation because of how loose it is.

ISP's are attempting to change the way the internet works

Nov 11, 2014, 6:18 PM

They are attempting to decide what content you can receive, and what speed you can receive that content. Many were allowed to become monopolies on the backs of tax payers, and now they are trying to have their cake and eat it too. Many Republicans and Democrats would be right to argue that the current regulatory system has encouraged innovation. However, ISP's now want to change the game but still play under the same rules.

I have access to one internet provider. They are terrible, but as long as they don't decide to change the rules of the game and regulate my internet usage, I don't have a problem. My cable company is losing money to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc... it would be in their best interest to make those options less desirable, and their cable subscriptions more desirable. Since they have no local competition, they have no real incentive not to charge more for those services or throttle down speeds.

Re: ISP's are attempting to change the way the internet works

Nov 11, 2014, 8:32 PM

If they are losing money because they don't have the infrastructure then net neutrality doesn't fix that... sounds like the company will fail either way unless a bigger company comes in that can handle it, they strike a deal with Netflix, Hulu, etc., or they raise the service cost.

How does NN fix this issue? It sounds like it is an attempt to tie the hands of the ISP's so that they cannot deal with their own issues.

Re: ISP's are attempting to change the way the internet works

Nov 12, 2014, 12:33 PM [ in reply to ISP's are attempting to change the way the internet works ]

the bottom line is our tax money set up the infrastructure that comcast att, and time warner are raking in massive profits through. If they think they have the right to control content coming through said pipes, then pucker up and bend over.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wonder if xtiger will ever admit how incredibly wrong he is

Nov 11, 2014, 4:39 PM

once he does some research and understands it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This statement falls in line with the Franc law

Nov 11, 2014, 4:40 PM

Admit how incredibly wrong he is...LOL, just Lol so F'ing hard.

possibly***

Nov 11, 2014, 4:42 PM

lets see, the FCC wants to treat it as a utility

Nov 11, 2014, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Wonder if xtiger will ever admit how incredibly wrong he is ]

and will in the future be able to put in intrusive regulations. Right now, as usual with the gov, it starts out harmless and for the greater good. See patriot act.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is the number 1 duty of a corporation?

Nov 11, 2014, 4:51 PM

I'm a communist, so I have no idea. Please inform me.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

is this aero?***

Nov 11, 2014, 4:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fixed, now could you please help me out?***

Nov 11, 2014, 4:55 PM

to make money. never said anything abut them

Nov 11, 2014, 4:57 PM

if they are doing something wrong, simply make a law outlawing it. If they are found breaking it, people can sue them. We dont need the gov to take control of the internet.

So are we talking a federal law or a state law?

Nov 11, 2014, 4:59 PM

What if the politicians in my state receive a bunch of money from ISP providers, and see nothing wrong with charging extra money for me to watch Netflix?

make a federal law outlawing it if its that important.***

confews...

Nov 11, 2014, 5:06 PM [ in reply to So are we talking a federal law or a state law? ]

Do you still not know anything about this or are you practicing the franc law?

i just find it amazing people are still willing to just give

Nov 11, 2014, 5:09 PM

the gov control over something so critical as the internet. We have history on our side and everyone always ignores it.

dude, the gov't fixes everything***

Nov 11, 2014, 5:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

ISPs want the control, not the government.

Nov 11, 2014, 5:29 PM [ in reply to i just find it amazing people are still willing to just give ]

seriously, if you only take one thing away from this conversation, let it be that.

ISPs have the control and it's just fine!

Nov 11, 2014, 6:49 PM

Please explain how the Govt. taking control would make it better?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sigh

Nov 11, 2014, 7:27 PM

The ISP's have control, and now they are attempting to change the way they operate.

We need "open access", not neutrality.

Nov 11, 2014, 7:39 PM

The Government taking over would make it more of a monopoly than it already is. Sigh!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FCC tried that with it's "open internet" rule

Nov 11, 2014, 7:42 PM

Supreme Court said it was a no go.

That shouldn't mean "the end"..

Nov 11, 2014, 7:45 PM

and just let the Govt take control.

The issue was jurisdiction

Nov 11, 2014, 7:51 PM

The FCC has no jurisdiction over the internet. Supreme Court doesn't know who has jurisdiction, but said that if the government reclassified it as a utility, they would have jurisdiction.

As of now, your ISP has control and in most cases has no competition.

I suppose they could attempt to pass a law, but that would require politicians and both sides of the isle to vote for something that many of their corporate sponsors (politicians should just start wearing logo's like NASCAR) don't want them to vote for. If you really feel like Pubs are going to vote for something that can be deemed as "government regulation" then you haven't been following the recent election.

3***

Nov 11, 2014, 4:52 PM [ in reply to What is the number 1 duty of a corporation? ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

I don't think you're even paying attention to what the issue

Nov 11, 2014, 4:57 PM [ in reply to lets see, the FCC wants to treat it as a utility ]

is. You like beating the drum about the specter of "government intrusion" because you're such a dyed-in-wool conservative. Free markets are great. See if you can comprehend this sentence: "ISPs are NOT a free market."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also enjoyed the Patriot Act starting out as a really

Nov 11, 2014, 4:59 PM

benevolent piece of legislation crafted by fellow philanthropists George W. Bush and #### Cheney, which was then bastardized and corrupted by that Marxist Obama.

No, that bill was and always has been a POS, and Obama didn't do it any favors.

Obumma never messes up anything, so no need to worry

Nov 11, 2014, 5:01 PM

about this, rite?

He messes a LOT of stuff up.

I'm not sure why you believe there's a billion people on his bandwagon.

thanks for proviing my point

Nov 11, 2014, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Also enjoyed the Patriot Act starting out as a really ]

call it a great name. Who isnt for the "Patriot" act with a name like that. Net Neutrality seems like a great name that no on should ever be against. That is until the gov starts saying blogs have to give equal time. Gee, thats never happened before in the US. There's already talk on taxing blogs like Drudge. Some European country has already done it. Its just opening a can of worms. If this was Bush pushing this, there would be so much out cry itd be insane.

If only we could have somehow linked to these posts in 2002.

Nov 11, 2014, 10:00 PM

"No, xtiger, look! Future-you even thinks it's a bad idea!"

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

again, if there is a problem, make a law

Nov 11, 2014, 5:00 PM [ in reply to I don't think you're even paying attention to what the issue ]

dont take over. I fully understand the issue. I have problems with Verizon. I can leave or go somewhere else as well. We also have satellite as well for internet.

I had an issue with Suddenlink

Nov 11, 2014, 5:02 PM [ in reply to I don't think you're even paying attention to what the issue ]

They installed my internet incorrectly. They basically used the same splitter they installed 10 years ago when they ran my new line and my internet kept going out. I called and they told me they would come out and fix it, no problem. They came out and fixed it, and charged me 75 bucks. I disputed the fee and they basically told me that if I didn't like it I could take my business elsewhere. I tried but it turns out that Suddenlink is the only ISP and Cable provider in College Station. They told me to shove it, and I had to shove it. Hurray for the free market.

You could just get satellite internet.

Nov 11, 2014, 5:05 PM

That's the same, per xtiger.

i fail to see where the fastest speed internet is a given

Nov 11, 2014, 5:08 PM

right. I put up with Verizon b/c they have the best wireless service but I'd leave in a second if i didnt put that at the highest priority. But I still have free will to move if i want. When the gov starts regulating, you are stuck.

So you moved to the cellular argument? They aren't even

Nov 11, 2014, 5:55 PM

related, and kind of funny to bring that up...it's Verizon, or it's AT&T...

Address the real issue here. There is an oligopoly from cable providers, and in many locations, there is not a competing ISP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: So you moved to the cellular argument? They aren't even

Nov 11, 2014, 6:31 PM

Although you are correct about the oligopoly issue, that is NOT what net neutrality is addressing. Net Neutrality seeks to ensure that access to all content/applications is equal regardless of the source. i.e. your ISP shouldn't be able to favor traffic from certain content providers they own while blocking their competitors (i.e. comcast blocking netflix).

Wouldn't it suck if connecting to tigernet was really freaking slow (or impossible) because your ISP chose to favor other services? I think so.

Huh? I'm well aware what NN is. xtiger is arguing that

Nov 11, 2014, 6:33 PM

it doesn't matter because competition already exists and you can just go to another ISP...but that's not the case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

In some areas it is. I have a choice of 4

Nov 11, 2014, 11:27 PM

WOW, Comcast, AT&T, and Direct TV.

But from a NN concern, that's not really the issue.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As 19B stated, vote out the county/city leaders who

Nov 11, 2014, 5:09 PM [ in reply to I had an issue with Suddenlink ]

allowed your ISP provider to have a monopoly...

That happened awhile ago, but don't let that stand in the

Nov 11, 2014, 5:10 PM

way of a good argument.

Re: lets see, the FCC wants to treat it as a utility

Nov 11, 2014, 9:59 PM [ in reply to lets see, the FCC wants to treat it as a utility ]

I like this response from xtiger, because it simultaneously admits that in REALITY the proposed change would not be harmful, while also insisting that in SCARY PUB WORLD things will be terrible because you know, government.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

first off, I always have said the intentions are good

Nov 12, 2014, 9:23 AM

never disputed that.

Second, people were called crazy when they said you wouldn't be able to keep your doctor, or people wouldn't lose their insurance, or they were lying about obamacare. Gee, that looks pretty uncrazy now.

People who said the Patriot Act would lead to abuses were called tin foil hat people.

The list of government abuses is a trillion miles long. So dont act like that's a crazy notion. You know better.

If you don't think when they take over the internet they will start regulating internet sites, you are the crazy one.

best argument so far but...

Nov 12, 2014, 11:47 AM

I stop short of saying the government should do nothing. I believe government action in the form of a law prohibiting treating data differently is ok as long it does not provide for actual equality requirements. Actual equality requirements prop up the weak and hamper the strong. Market forces should be the only force playing in this area.

Now, if I live in an area with internet and an ISP decides to invest in a new line with the explicit intent on charging people to use it, I'm ok with that as long as I am not forced to use that line. In fact, I should not be directed to that line without intentionally requesting it. The problem is that all of the data is routed through the new lines, the old lines torn up and now there is only one option. Not good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let us not be deceived by phrases about ‘Man taking charge of his own destiny.’ All that can really happen is that some men will take charge of the destiny of others. . . . The more completely we are planned the more powerful they will be. - C.S. Lewis

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic