Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Virtual school week 4 chronicles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 362

Virtual school week 4 chronicles

Sep 17, 2020, 12:28 PM

so...we are slowly starting to think that my kid isn't sitting still for these ridiculous meetings because 1- he apparently doesn't have to. he hears and undrerstand what is being said even when it appears he isn't paying attention (how does he do that?) and 2- he probably bored to tears.

The good thing is, we are learning more about him this way. I didn't know this kid could do addition in his head, but apparently he can.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

It’s all in the teacher I’ve learned

Sep 17, 2020, 12:32 PM

The one we’ve been with is trying to use videos to do everything and not engaging the kids

We slid into the other teachers small group zoom and it was night and day

The younger teacher could mute all, share her screen and play videos with audio no problem

The older one can’t do any of that

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was having this conversation the other day

Sep 17, 2020, 12:35 PM

with a colleague.

Those teachers that are in the demographic to be have the greatest effect from Covid are the ones who need to be teaching virtual school. But because of their demographic they are terrible with computers.

Those like me who are not going to be effected as much (or at least low chance) are the ones who don't need to be teaching virtual but are the ones who can do it.

So need to be teaching Virtual, can't

Don't need to be teaching virtual, can.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Cant they like, you know, learn?

Sep 17, 2020, 12:37 PM

Isnt that like related to what they do?

Pinky out amirite?

Sep 17, 2020, 12:40 PM

Not feeling you lately. You’re a rebel that doesn’t really rebel. Plus you post a thousand posts that don’t show up? Can’t even see your gifs. When are you going to step to the plate?

We’ve been waiting for a new leader.

They show up, your vpn probably blocks

Sep 17, 2020, 12:44 PM

imgur though

This show up?

It did? How did you get that photo from my collection?***

Sep 17, 2020, 12:54 PM

Re: It did? How did you get that photo from my collection?***

Sep 17, 2020, 1:00 PM

You ever tried to help your grandmother on a computer?

Sep 17, 2020, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Cant they like, you know, learn? ]

that's what it's like but you can cuss at them and not feel bad later.

Impractical Jokers GIFs | Tenor

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

My wife is younger than I am and she is terrible with

Sep 17, 2020, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Was having this conversation the other day ]

computers. I show up at my office an hour later than I mean to a couple days a week so that I can figure out for her how to use software she was trained on but I have never used before.

Some people have a natural gift for tech and others do not. It does mostly break down by age, but my dad is pretty good at this computer stuff and he's 75 years old.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

affected, not effected

Sep 17, 2020, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Was having this conversation the other day ]

sheesh GD teachers

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: affected, not effected

Sep 17, 2020, 1:48 PM

Thank you. You think he is the one teaching your instead of you're and then for than? See it all the time.

Yeah. I can tell by the comments on fb groups how differentl

Sep 17, 2020, 12:54 PM [ in reply to It’s all in the teacher I’ve learned ]

the teachers are from class to class, grade to grade.

Our is trying. And she loves the kids. She wasn't planning to have to do virtual, so I would say that I can't fault her.but every morning, it never fails that the video she tries to share doesn't work. sigh.

And she still spends a good bit of telling folks to mute themselves. The best part is all the grandparents who are struggling to help their kids. It's rough. My little dude has 2 engineers that spend their lives on skype/teams/whatever anyway..navigating clouds and once upon time had to FTP files. We stay fairly organized. I feel for the others.

I was FTPing before FTPing was cool

Sep 17, 2020, 1:05 PM

I was hell on wheels on a SunSparc station

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My first modem was 1200 baud and I cruised newsgroups

Sep 17, 2020, 2:44 PM

instead of Tnet.

I don't think I will ever forget the sound of a modem connecting - might have to use it for me ringtone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats you braggart!!!

I’m learning that I’m raising mentally challenged children. I’m okay with that. As long as they do their best. On a positive note... white straight people will no longer hate you because of who you are. We will hate you because we are completely jealous of your ability to raise intelligent children. It’s jealousy. It’s jealousy!!!

Ur kids caint dew math in their heads?

Sep 17, 2020, 12:39 PM

How old are they and how many drool bibs do they use each day?

Honest answer...

Sep 17, 2020, 12:51 PM

One of my kids is great at math. The other kid struggles when he’s pressured. Completely panicks and shuts down. I don’t know what to do for him. Life isn’t a very comforting experience. Should I just rub his head and sing during every math test? Nope. So we struggle. He struggles. We struggle together. But if you have said anything out loud in front of him, he will quote you on it. He will explain every detail of his emotional struggle to you to the point of tears. He knows the words to the song so don’t test him. He knows the answer to your stupid ####### math problems, he just can’t deal with everybody asking him at once.

Honestly, that’s my youngest son. I don’t really know how to deal with it. I just need him to do simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. His brain is too busy learning useless facts.

dude. he still has the attention span of a gnat. I mean.

Sep 17, 2020, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Congrats you braggart!!! ]

He's 5 but dang. also, behavior wise? woof.

I think they dont want to sit still cause theyre at the hous

and thats where they play at. kinda like dont #### where you sleep. Or dont make ##### on people where you work. On second thought scratch that last one.

lol ##### is #'d butt sex isnt***

Sep 17, 2020, 12:34 PM

And yes they are bored to tears***

I'm in my 30's and Powerpoint presentations put me to sleep

Sep 17, 2020, 12:58 PM

You could put together a powerpoint presentation on boats and #####, and you'd lose me. I really feel sorry for y'all having to deal with this, I do. But I also find it hilarious that anybody thought virtual learning was a viable solution. We are such a stupid society.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make sure you focus on how hard the kid works and

Sep 17, 2020, 12:57 PM

not on how smart the kid is. My son was super advanced at a young age and I think I focused too much on that and not enough on him working at stuff. So he dropped into kind of a fixed mindset. So now when he gets to something harder than he is used to, he tends to give up too easily.

Still smart, just not used to having to work.

My daughter appears to be pretty smart as well so far at two, but I'm all about telling her how hard she worked rather than how smart she is.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DONT GET ME WRONG..I'm not labeling him a genious by

Sep 17, 2020, 2:11 PM

any means. I'm just happy to know that he can demonstrate what he knows. I'm super concerned that he has a learning disability (dyslexia?), maybe ADHD, on top of his known visual processing disorder. So, since wee are working through a host of issues with him, I'm just happy to know that he can learn the x's and o's...despite these issues.

I have found mine to be generally smarter than we give them

Sep 17, 2020, 2:02 PM

credit for. If they can some up with some brilliance to finish something faster to get back to watching Youtubers playing video games, they will amaze you. Where they fail though is when they're actually confronted by time-consuming work that they can't brilliance their way through any faster than anyone else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 362
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic