Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You have to feel for our Admin regarding the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

You have to feel for our Admin regarding the ACC

Nov 21, 2012, 11:54 AM

I'm pretty sure that they are having to weigh the 'academic' side of this situation to the 'athletic' side. CLEMSON has taken much pride in being the 'academic' leader of SC and many of us hope that continues. Going to the SEC does absolutely nothing but tarnish that IMO. I never, ever view the SEC as anything other than 'athletic', even though they have some quality schools. While many of us would prefer that, those Admin in charge of making decisions for CLEMSON's future probably look deeper into this. I personally don't see CLEMSON going anywhere anytime soon. There are just too many reasons to remain in the ACC. The big problem is - that NONE of those reasons are 'athletic-related'. Good luck to those having to fight this battle.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You have to feel for our Admin regarding the ACC

Nov 21, 2012, 11:56 AM

I'm sick of academics driving conference affiliation. It's the biggest bunch of BS philosphy there is.

Nothing is written in stone that you can't have great academics in a conference with schools that have low academics. Nothing says we have to change our standards at Clemson if WV is added to the ACC.

This philosophy will be the end to Clemson as a major athletic school.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have to feel for our Admin regarding the ACC- ^^this^^

Nov 21, 2012, 12:03 PM

you want to make money off your athletics so you look for the best deal there. academics is a separate and unrelated issue. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE GRASP THIS???

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only people I feel for is the fan base who has to read

Nov 21, 2012, 12:28 PM

The latest comments from an administration who is either the most pc in the world or the most confused. Hard to tell but if they are attempting to be pc to the fan base who obviously reads the latest as not good, they are failing or either do not care

a CONFERENCE doesn't make or break ACADEMICS......

Nov 21, 2012, 11:57 AM

going to the SEC would not "TARNISH" our academic reputation.......our administration could achieve whatever "harvard goals" they have in mind regardless of what ATHLETIC conference you're in.

Re: a CONFERENCE doesn't make or break ACADEMICS......

Nov 21, 2012, 11:59 AM

Florida and Stanford are prime examples.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2012, 12:02 PM [ in reply to a CONFERENCE doesn't make or break ACADEMICS...... ]

I guess I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, 'cause I would prefer the SEC myself for my own personal reasons. CLEMSON would be a perfect fit for the SEC. I've never understood why the SEC can't see that. I guess it's that 'stupid' thing that the SEC does so well.

Anyway - looking at the SEC, Vandy is obviously the exception academically, and we see how well they emphasize their sports programs. Hopefully, CLEMSON would never follow that scenario. That would suck. Maybe I'll die before we do something that ignorant.

Nov 21, 2012, 12:05 PM

Vandy football has gotten tons better the last few years.....money

really?

You don't think vandy is any good academically? Conference affiliation has very little bearing on academics. If we joined the sec our diplomas would be worth just as much as they are in the acc.

Re: really?

Another prime example....

Whatever. An athletic conference exists solely for

athletic competition. I don't see Vandy, UF or UGa suffering academically because they play in the $EC. The whole academic standing argument makes no sense to me.

Conversely, btw, I don't see Sakerlina gaining any academic prestige because they compete with Vandy, either.

Message was edited by: David78®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Bingo.***

Nov 21, 2012, 12:41 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

This is so dumb. We cut out own throats in so many ways for

Nov 21, 2012, 12:03 PM

what? A ranking in a magazine that many don't even read? Sigh.

I hate the wine and cheese elitism that has crept into Clemson since my days as a student.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we were in the SEC we would rank 4th in academics..***

Nov 21, 2012, 12:08 PM

Re: I met w my former dean a few months ago

Nov 21, 2012, 12:12 PM [ in reply to This is so dumb. We cut out own throats in so many ways for ]

I go into his antique furnitured office where he is sipping tea out of a fancy china cup. he was very cordial but I just thought back to my time and clemson and seriously wondered what the heck the educational mission is other than inflate Barkers ego and stature. it is not a place I recognize

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our administration seems imperceptive to the fact....

Nov 21, 2012, 12:09 PM

that a school can be great both academically and athletically regardless of what the other schools in the league are or are not doing. Those other schools should not and do not dissuade or impede your school form its academic mission.

Georgia and Florida are two prime examples of schools that manage to do it in a laegaue riddled with a bunch of schools with poor academic rankings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

that's total baloney...a conf doesn't make your academic

Nov 21, 2012, 12:11 PM

reputation...you make that on your own. My neighbors in Woodstock GA don't make my reputation..I make that through my daily actions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that's total baloney...a conf doesn't make your academic

Nov 21, 2012, 12:13 PM

very true and since you brought it up we've been meaning to talk to you about it. ;)

Re: that's total baloney...a conf doesn't make your academic

Nov 21, 2012, 12:17 PM

I want him to get those stupid pink flamingos off his front lawn. Are you with me?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

they are staying along with the Christmas lights

Nov 21, 2012, 12:20 PM

I leave up all year!

So...that's your house !?!?!?***

Nov 21, 2012, 12:24 PM

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Vanderbilt.***

Nov 21, 2012, 12:19 PM

Being affiliated with unc

Nov 21, 2012, 1:08 PM

Really makes our academics.... Especially athletic academics look better

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

No, I don't feel bad for anyone. Barker could have

Nov 21, 2012, 7:28 PM

motioned for Swofford's removal long ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guys, I think we think that Barker,

Nov 21, 2012, 9:29 PM

the BOT, and the athletic department are sleepwalking about conference defections, alignments, etc. Their job is to run the university in the best possible manner. Athletics is a huge, huge part of it. The alumni and fan base is a huge factor also. You can bet that they are weighing options, what ifs and so on. That's their job and I am confident that they are doing that. The last thing they will do is to let the public (us) in on their discussions. Look at Maryland, they obviously had been having discussions for quite awhile - but still surprised everyone. Clemson's leadership will get it done if and when it is time to do so. They are not oblivious to what is going on around the country.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Guys, I think we think that Barker,

Nov 21, 2012, 9:35 PM

U sure have TONS MORE confidence in our admin, BOT and especially barker than I do.. all I know that barker did was vote to raise the exit fee to 50MIL!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is another side to it as well...Faculty

Nov 21, 2012, 9:34 PM

The faculty has always given Barker and other administrators h3ll about athletics. I have been in some meetings that were not pretty.

Having said that, I feel sorry for no one. Failure of leadership on more than one level has brought Clemson and the ACC into this bad situation. It is our leaders' jobs to get it done, so to speak.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: There is another side to it as well...Faculty

Nov 21, 2012, 9:40 PM

Faculty needs to be reminded that the big donors not only to IPTAY but to general scholarship/building funds are mostly big football supporters as well!

this is actually not true.***

Nov 21, 2012, 9:43 PM

What is not true?***

Nov 21, 2012, 9:44 PM

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

it is not true that most of the big donors to

Nov 21, 2012, 9:47 PM

Clemson general funds are Football fans. That is simply not true.

Most of the big donors are corporate entities. Clemson must keep academics pointed in certain directions because of this.

Not all are supporters of the athletic dept.

Nov 21, 2012, 9:51 PM

However, many are...they buy up the executive boxes in Death Valley.

The lowering of academic standards at Clemson is simply not going to happen.

--Henry David Thoreau

right..a small percentage

Nov 21, 2012, 9:51 PM

certainly not most..

Re: There is another side to it as well...Faculty

Nov 21, 2012, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Re: There is another side to it as well...Faculty ]

I think they have been, but the administrators have a fine line to walk. However, that is what they get paid the big dollars to do--make it work.

--Henry David Thoreau

Well let's see..case in point

Nov 21, 2012, 9:55 PM

dabo Alabama graduate and no better representative for us. Well spoken ..smart guy....hmmmm?

Yes - all the donors are chanting ACC Physics and CU biology

Nov 21, 2012, 9:58 PM

The football program sustains itself. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic