Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lunge rec for non-UDPs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 319

Lunge rec for non-UDPs

Jun 29, 2020, 6:35 PM

Sorry, this isn’t jimmy dean breakfast cups.

I’ve had the Anova sous vide cooker for a little over a week, and I can now firmly give it the seal of approval. I get the hype. I’ve done ribeye, filets, salmon, chicken breast x2, and they all come out just friggin perfect. It requires time and a little extra clean up, but it’s worth it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bought one a few years ago and never used it, so youngest

Jun 29, 2020, 6:37 PM

son took it and put it to work - loves it. I got another for my birthday and yes, it is amazing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where you been? I’ve had a Sous vide Supreme water oven

Jun 29, 2020, 6:42 PM

for 4-5 years now

Anova is a nice gadget but you need a real appliance to do it right.

Welcome to the club

Message was edited by: cu85tiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: Where you been? I’ve had a Sous vide Supreme water oven

Jun 29, 2020, 6:45 PM

I got into barbecuing in the last few years and have been looking for the right way to reheat pulled pork and brisket. That’s what finally led me to it. Believe this will be a good tool for that job.

I've reheated brisket once in the sous vide, and it worked

Jun 29, 2020, 6:50 PM

like a charm. Do 165 for 3-5 hours, depending on the size of the hunk o beef.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It does a great job of reheating ribs too

Jun 29, 2020, 7:35 PM

Only way I’ve found that doesn’t dry out bbq when reheating it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I got the same one for Christmas in 2014.

Jun 29, 2020, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Where you been? I’ve had a Sous vide Supreme water oven ]

Had a cookoff with Dad that week with venison tenderloins, which are about 98% lean and can overcook if you go 10 seconds too long. Absolutely crushed them, and of course, Dad's were way overcooked (but still edible, because venison tenderloin). My sister got her wife an Anova a couple years ago for Christmas, and I unknowingly also got them an Anova for Christmas that year. Opened them at the same time. The one I got had wifi, and the one my sister bought didn't, so the running joke is that I love them roughly $10 more.

I didn't really understand the need for wifi, but SIL figured it out: she puts proteins in an ice bath before leaving for work, and then can remotely turn it on at 1 or 2pm and it's ready when they get home (when people actually went to offices and shit).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not a real sous vide thread until 19B has posted

Jun 30, 2020, 9:07 AM

as it is written, so shall it be done

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ugh, souse is terrible

Jun 29, 2020, 7:54 PM

my grandma used to try and feed it to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Extra cleanup? Aren't you cooking stuff in a bag?

Jun 30, 2020, 9:16 AM

Seems like fewer or at least easier dishes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Extra cleanup? Aren't you cooking stuff in a bag?

Jun 30, 2020, 9:22 AM

Yeah it’s in a bag, but then you still have to sear it in a pan. It’s not much extra to do, just a pot that had water in it.

10-4 didn't even think about the searing part.

Jun 30, 2020, 9:25 AM

We have taken to reheating leftover bbq in a foil pouch placed in some gently boiling water. It works well but I think sous vide would be better. I've given though to getting an instapot with one but a lack of counter space has kept me from pulling the trigger. I also am not certain if they work.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My first Sous-vide effort was genuinely UDP...

Jun 30, 2020, 9:24 AM

Maybe even DEBT - Didn’t Even Buy a Ticket. I wanted to try but hadn’t thought ahead and bought one, so I just put a pot of water on the stove and put a thermometer in it and held the temp at 120 by using only a portion of the burner on low heat.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ziploc bag and a Candy thermometer, boom!***

Jun 30, 2020, 12:14 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like my morning

Jun 30, 2020, 9:47 AM

Sorry, this isn’t jimmy dean breakfast cups.

It requires time and a little extra clean up, but it’s worth it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 319
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic