Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney discusses less practice time than Alabama
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney discusses less practice time than Alabama

Jan 5, 2016, 9:47 AM

Swinney discusses less practice time than Alabama

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True. But it should be the case

Jan 5, 2016, 9:54 AM

NCAA should try to level the time. But we play hard and fight , we can win. And to much practice could make them bored. Geuss we'll see. Or maybe I just predicted the next excuse.
GO TIGERS!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True. But it should be the case

Jan 5, 2016, 9:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2016, 10:39 AM

Never coached a bunch of kid have you? Over practicing causes a negative effect. But funny little picture.
GO TIGERS!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2016, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: True. But it should be the case ]

Agree>

Jan 5, 2016, 9:57 AM [ in reply to True. But it should be the case ]

When Dabo broke down the schedule Wednesday and Thursday are the only days they potentially have more time. Since Class doesn't start till Wednesday they rule doesn't kick in til wednesday. Then Friday begins the travel schedule so not nearly as big a deal as it seemed at first.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

After 14 games,

Jan 5, 2016, 10:01 AM

the team should be able to play with some film study on the flight to Arizona. I'm sorry, that I don't think Alabama is some "magical" team that doesn't run, pass, block, tackle, and kick like other teams. Clemson has smart players, and coaches, that are prepared to face any opponent. The team is not limited in the amount of time they will spend with trainers and support staff getting their bodies ready for game #15. They'll be fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCAA has no teeth, it's a joke.***

Jan 5, 2016, 9:59 AM [ in reply to True. But it should be the case ]

Re: NCAA has no teeth, it's a joke.***

Jan 5, 2016, 10:26 AM

Since the team isn't going to be in Clemson, seems the idiots at the ncaa should exempt us from this idiotic rule.

So you think they should make rules exceptions for Clemson?

Jan 5, 2016, 10:02 AM [ in reply to True. But it should be the case ]

It's the rule. I also agree with Dabo that it is no big deal.

Re: So you think they should make rules exceptions for Clemson?

Jan 5, 2016, 10:18 AM

I think they should make rule exceptions for the National Championship no matter who is playing. Either limit Bama, or waive it for us until the day of the NC.

Either way, I don't think it really makes much difference for us. Their offense is pretty straight forward, we just need to watch film to find tendencies. It's not like they're a triple option team or anything. Same with their defense because we have enough talent these days to just play our game and it's usually good enough to win with slight adjustments to take advantage of weaknesses. Again these weaknesses are found from film study. Sunday-Tuesday is plenty of time to go over any slight adjustments.

I think it helps them more than it hurts us. Allows them more time to prepare for our offense which is a somewhat unique offense that they don't see often. Also gives Pruitt more time to give them tips on how to defend us. He seems to have our number, so I'm not overly excited about him helping them prepare :/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No reason to limit

Jan 5, 2016, 10:24 AM

Nobody on the team is in school yet. They all have excused absences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2016, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: So you think they should make rules exceptions for Clemson? ]

It's our class schedule, so not really the NCAA's problem, and I don't think the game prep time is indeed that big of a deal. 20 hours (if that) is what happens in Fall semester anyway.

I do hope professors/departments are understanding for student spectators and participating athletes who are traveling for this rare event next week as far as makeup work/available notes/attendance policies go.

They should make an exception for any team playing in the NC

Jan 5, 2016, 10:22 AM [ in reply to So you think they should make rules exceptions for Clemson? ]

Same thing happened to Oregon last year, they had a 20 hour limit but OSU was unlimited. Not sure how you could argue that the rule is fair.

The rule's purpose is not to have a "fair" football game

Jan 5, 2016, 10:24 AM

The rule's purpose is to make sure students have time for schoolwork, which is top priority.

The rule's purpose is irrelevant

Jan 5, 2016, 10:32 AM

If it creates an unfair situation. And let's not act like the NCAA is bastion of integrity...

How fair is it to the students

Jan 5, 2016, 10:34 AM

if they have an assignment after the first day of classes, and have zero time to work on it because they have to do football?

Are they on the field and watching film all day long?

Jan 5, 2016, 10:39 AM

It's not like they'd be doing 10 hours a day anyways. The first couple days is mostly syllabus talk, not like you have to write a 15 page paper 2 days in.

"It's not like they'd be doing 10 hours..."

Jan 5, 2016, 10:41 AM

Would they? What you are saying is exactly what the rule is in place for.

Do you have a "Pet Rock" to argue with? If not, get one.***

Jan 5, 2016, 10:45 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just our resident concern trolling ####.***

Jan 5, 2016, 5:14 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "It's not like they'd be doing 10 hours..."

Jan 5, 2016, 10:45 AM [ in reply to "It's not like they'd be doing 10 hours..." ]

No they wouldn't. At 20 hours a week that's less than 3 hours per day, so all of a sudden they're going to 10? I don't think so.

Give it a rest, Prod. All they would have to do is limit

Jan 5, 2016, 10:47 AM [ in reply to "It's not like they'd be doing 10 hours..." ]

both teams' practice time to the "school in session" levels whenever one of the two teams is in session. This isn't rocket science, and you don't have to lecture Clemson fans on our players' academic needs when our semester starts three school days before the game. I would bet that our program focuses on academics as much as any and more than most in D1.

null

I agree. That's why Clemson is not complaining

Jan 5, 2016, 10:49 AM

Just some fans.

Re: The rule's purpose is not to have a "fair" football game

Jan 5, 2016, 12:55 PM [ in reply to The rule's purpose is not to have a "fair" football game ]

The problem is there isn't much schoolwork during syllabus week.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It should be equal for all teams.

Jan 5, 2016, 10:32 AM [ in reply to So you think they should make rules exceptions for Clemson? ]

The problem should have been addressed before the playoffs began last season.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

The rule is completely equal for all schools.***

Jan 5, 2016, 10:35 AM

Obviously not or there wouldn't be a discussion about it.***

Jan 5, 2016, 10:47 AM

There is a discussion because people

Jan 5, 2016, 10:49 AM

can always find something to complain about.

said the Coot troll on the Clemson board***

Jan 5, 2016, 11:54 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How so?...

Jan 5, 2016, 11:05 AM [ in reply to The rule is completely equal for all schools.*** ]

When a team's communications between the sidelines and upstairs fails, the other team has to turn theirs off as well. Why would they do that based on your 'reasoning'?

All is fair regardless of what results occur that could impact a team's preparation or performance. Perhaps we should start scheduling some teams for Thursday night games and then just two days later since preparation in your mind does not matter.

Do I think this is a BIG deal?... not really. But it's easy enough to state both teams must have the same limit of time in preparation, and in this case, that would be the time based on Clemson's earlier semester start.

Failing equipment is one thing.

Jan 5, 2016, 11:12 AM

Clemson chose to have their semester start at this date. Therefore, they chose that practice time for student-athletes (of any kind) would be limited this week.

Re: Failing equipment is one thing.

Jan 5, 2016, 12:59 PM

Academic calendars are set in advance. It isn't like they decided it last week.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clearly the rule, applied as written, does not have the

Jan 5, 2016, 10:32 AM [ in reply to So you think they should make rules exceptions for Clemson? ]

intended impact in THIS scenario. It is not protecting the student athlete and creates an uneven playing field. I also agree that it's not a big deal, but the rule is indefensible as applied in this circumstance.

null

Maybe we should make the forward pass illegal for the game

Jan 5, 2016, 10:40 AM [ in reply to So you think they should make rules exceptions for Clemson? ]

Because having it gives Clemson more of an advantage than Alabama. That doesn't seem very fair.

You're flailing.***

Jan 5, 2016, 10:48 AM

null

yeah, because that's apples to apples***

Jan 5, 2016, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Maybe we should make the forward pass illegal for the game ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You've said a lot of stupid ####, but this is a new bar.***

Jan 5, 2016, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Maybe we should make the forward pass illegal for the game ]

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2016, 11:48 AM [ in reply to So you think they should make rules exceptions for Clemson? ]

No, not an exception, the rule should be changed.

Nothing is going to happen to level the practice time this year. But the obsolete rule should be adjusted to recognize that the championship game is no longer played within the first week of January. It has been a fairly recent development, playing national championship game in the second week of January, maybe 8 or 10 years. The practice rules pre-date the extended bowl season and so were never designed to considered a championship game being held after the end of winter break. Adjusting the rules to allow for fair and even practice time would be so simple. In the interest of academic integrity, rules could be worded to limit the practice time for both teams if EITHER one begins spring semester prior to the championship game.

What else should he say? Man up and play.***

Jan 5, 2016, 10:34 AM [ in reply to True. But it should be the case ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2016, 5:48 PM [ in reply to True. But it should be the case ]

How can that be fair. The return of the student body should not have anything to do with it. Please explain this to me. I'm completely blown away.

Why can't they just have both schools adhere to the same

Jan 5, 2016, 12:24 PM

schedule or practice time as the school with the earlier start date? How hard is that?

it's not difficult and just like championship games it's

Jan 5, 2016, 12:30 PM

likely something the playoff or ncaa committee will table or perhaps be addressed elsewhere, the cconference level?

one note though, the playoff championship is not yet "ncaa sanctioned" and moving with glacier like speed is the ncaa's forte.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it's not difficult and just like championship games it's

Jan 5, 2016, 2:19 PM

If there's more than just "syllabus fest", then it's on the professors/department to create equanimity. They have a pretty good faculty awareness at our school, and Vickery, so it's doubtful many problems would arise.

The 20 hour thing just doesn't seem like a big deal. In fact, running more than that might be counter-productive.

i don't believe it's a "big" deal, but it should not

Jan 5, 2016, 3:19 PM

fall on one school's academia to level what should be an already level field when it's easily addressed in oversight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic