Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I try to stay out of politics as much as I can
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 603

I try to stay out of politics as much as I can

Dec 16, 2018, 11:29 PM

but I was telling my 3rd grade son about the article below and he says "He's really doing it! Trump is making America great again!" If most of us can take that kind of joy in the smallest victories, we'd all be happier people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/us/trump-school-lunch-usda.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MSLSLTA

Dec 16, 2018, 11:45 PM

Making School Lunches Slightly Less Terrible Again

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I try to stay out of politics as much as I can

Dec 17, 2018, 6:44 AM

This is a fascinating issue. The pictures of kids' lunches containing nothing but a roll and a strawberry had nothing to do with federal rules and everything to do with local decisions.

Once nothing changes, will this no longer be a problem in the eyes of conservatives or will it still be Obama's fault?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2018, 9:58 AM

Thats only half true.

The federal government went out and essentially mandated a certain nutritional value every school lunch should have. X% of sugar, X% of carbs, X% of sodium, X% of vitamins, etc. etc.

Michelle Obama had a HUGE role in creating this law.

Now, ideally, Michelle's vision was that these "mandated nutritional values" would make a school lunch plate look like a free-range, non-GMo, 100% organic, vegan friendly fest from Panera Bread.

However, the government did NOTHING to actually put fresh food on the table. The government took these nutritional standards, and then gave them to the state school systems and said "here you go, you have to provide new school lunches according to these nutritional standards."

State governments then had to figure out how to meet those standards within their own state budgets.

That resulted in school lunches essentially turning into the dismal examples we've seen: a single wheat roll and 3 strawberries was not an uncommon sight.

The federal government told schools to provide a Whole Foods type of nutritional meal with Whole Foods standards, on a Dollar General budget. The result was what you see.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chubby kids> Fat teenagers > Obese adults > Handicap seniors

Dec 17, 2018, 8:12 AM

No need to wonder why handicap spaces take up 1/3 of the parking lot!

#SupersizeMAGA

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Half the people who park in those spaces aren't handicap.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:23 AM

You made a very good point. Children's heath is our future. But really, complaining about handicap parking causing you to walk more kinda voids your point since calories in and calories out is the balance needed for a healthy individual.

That looked like a trump tweet to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

New truck so park in outer rows & pull thru to avoid backing

Dec 17, 2018, 10:05 AM

Seriously avoiding backing whenever practical is a legitimate safety practice from company’s DOT / Driver safety program.

Re: Chubby kids> Fat teenagers > Obese adults > Handicap seniors

Dec 17, 2018, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Chubby kids> Fat teenagers > Obese adults > Handicap seniors ]

Personal Responsibility and accountability. Thats all it is.

People in this country just cannot accept that they are fat due to poor decisions. But they want to blame everyone else, the schools, the restaurant industry...etc..

Personal responsibility.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chubby kids> Fat teenagers > Obese adults > Handicap seniors

Dec 17, 2018, 10:35 AM

right-O, this sounds perfectly reasonable when dealing with unsupervised ten year olds

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2018, 8:48 AM

Lowering the Nutritional Standards for school lunches.

Wow, I just can't take all of this winning.

Holy Crap. You and your attitude just need to get

Dec 17, 2018, 9:01 AM

######

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2018, 9:19 AM

yay, funnel cakes for lunch. Now we can grow big and fat like commander trump.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kids should get used to eating carny food.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:29 AM

Under the Trump admin, it makes some sense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You've come to the right place.

Dec 17, 2018, 9:24 AM

We never talk politics on this bored. Can you get the kids a write in ballot or pass him off as 18 at the polls?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2018, 10:31 AM

Great microcosm for the Trump administration: Lowering our standards = MAGAing

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 603
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic