Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One of the scarier parts of the Pandemic
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 530

One of the scarier parts of the Pandemic

May 21, 2020, 3:08 PM

Maybe I'm the only one having this problem, but I have been stunned at how this whole thing has unfolded. Personally, I have placed a lot of confidence in the technology I've seen develop over my life-time. (I remember when the Beverly Hillbillies went from a black and white tv show to a full color tv show). The amazing advances in medicine, space flight, internet, computing...etc, etc.

Now, the whole world is under siege by a virus that is killing hundreds of thousands, shutting down economies and forcing millions and millions of people worldwide into poverty. Yet, there is no effective treatment for this virus yet and certainly no vaccine.

I guess my point is that I'm a little surprised that something like this could happen in this age. I get the 1918-19 Flu Pandemic, but that was 100 years ago. I suppose that I'm realizing that we're not as far along as I'd thought.

Every lab, corporation, researcher all over the world are racing as fast as they can for a treatment, cure or vacccine. But we're not getting there. I'm surprised by that. I'm 65 years old and allergic to death.

Anyone else feel like this or is it just my age?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not PnR......***

May 21, 2020, 3:11 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a world issue.

May 21, 2020, 4:08 PM

You make the dumbest comments some times.... https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/And-this-concerns-tnet-how-27213746#27213746

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

There's lots of scary stuff locked away in labs in many

May 21, 2020, 3:12 PM

countries.

All signs point to China letting this one out on accident. It was bound to happen at some point. People make mistakes.

The bigger problems is letting it run amok for 4-6 weeks before alerting everyone.

You're old and have underlying conditions.

May 21, 2020, 3:15 PM

Good luck dood.

For the record, I had you pegged at about 30.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Since when is being a dumbasz an underlying condition?***

May 21, 2020, 3:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since when is being a dumbasz an underlying condition?***

May 21, 2020, 3:57 PM

That's MR Dumbasz to u sir.

Re: You're old and have underlying conditions.

May 21, 2020, 3:55 PM [ in reply to You're old and have underlying conditions. ]

wilbur82® said:

Good luck dood.

For the record, I had you pegged at about 30.

Thanks Wilbur! I'm an emotional late-bloomer. ;)

Not me.

May 21, 2020, 3:16 PM

A couple verses come to mind.

Job 14 'Man that is born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble. He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and...'

Romans 1:22 'Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,'

Hezekiah 6-23 'We aren't getting out of this world alive.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem with the vaccines and treatments

May 21, 2020, 3:52 PM

Random sample surveillance testing.

May 21, 2020, 4:27 PM

Something we have the power and technology to perform but choose not to. Continue to shoot in dark otherwise.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember our first color tv

May 21, 2020, 3:55 PM

watched MNF and the Rams helmets and uniforms just popped off the screen

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: I remember our first color tv

May 21, 2020, 4:00 PM

I remember the first color tv I ever saw, it was at my cousins house. We watched Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer, 1964. I was 10 yrs old.

May 21, 2020, 4:03 PM

You were born the same year as my dad!!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2020, 7:01 PM

You were born the same year as my dad!!!

Yep, I'm old! I hope your dad is doing well. :)

I'm kinda the opposite. I can't believe we've gone as long

May 21, 2020, 4:15 PM

as we have without a major pandemic. There's nothing "unusual" about what is happening. In fact, it's actually out of the norm to go 100 years without a major pandemic disease that has real teeth. There's always stuff out there that is just an inch away from becoming a pandemic. Bacteria is becoming more and more resistant to antibiotics. We can fight mother nature tooth and nail and we can win a lot of battles, but we won't win the war against mother nature. If you look at the planet's population chart, it's relatively level for a million years, then in 150 years it skyrockets, as we conquered many of the things that keep us in check. For 100+ years we've prospered, reproduced, and overpopulated many areas. The same thing ALWAYS happens to any species who have a population boom like humans have enjoyed the last 100 years. It's not a matter of if, but when.

Just be lucky we live in the world we live in now, because if covid had struck in 1918 instead of the flu, history would likely remember it as a far deadlier pandemic. In 1918 there was no such thing as supplemental oxygen, feeding tubes, medically induced comas, or ventilators. Just imagine the deaths from covid if no one was provided as much as a nasal cannula for o2. Try and guesstimate the death rate of covid without any oxygen administered. It would be well above the death rate of the 1918 flu.

And this is why I never worried about global warming. There is no way we destroy the planet. It will destroy us long before we can destroy it.

And BUCK FATS. Hate em.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A major strong antibiotic resistant pandemic would be

May 21, 2020, 4:19 PM

very bad.

Main reason why you should always finish your antibiotic prescription.

Message was edited by: soccerkrzy®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Replies: 16
| visibility 530
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic