Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pres. Barker should be fired for voting yes on the $50mil
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Pres. Barker should be fired for voting yes on the $50mil

Dec 5, 2012, 9:13 AM

exit fee. Gonna be harder to get out of paying full amount when we leave becuase of it. Maryland and FSU both voted nay.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So if you always vote against the majority on the

Dec 5, 2012, 9:14 AM

democratic vote, you can then get out of it because you didn't want it anyway?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

You will have a better case against it ....***

Dec 5, 2012, 9:15 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you understand how contracts work***

Dec 5, 2012, 10:38 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in sports they are apparently meaningless***

Dec 5, 2012, 11:06 AM

I was talking to an attorney on Monday about it

Dec 6, 2012, 1:54 PM

and he said that there is a good possibility it does hurt Clemson to exit without as much penalty because of their stance on the vote.

Maryland might actually have a case.

Dec 6, 2012, 3:30 PM [ in reply to I don't think you understand how contracts work*** ]

ACC media members (David Glenn and Tobacco Road types) keep pointing out that the ACC will have a hard time enforcing the full $50m since we pulled in Louisville, which indicates that the contract may have some wiggle room so long as the ACC pulled in a "comparable" replacement the same way that schools can void many scheduling contracts so long as comparable replacements are found within the allotted time frame.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You will have a better case against it ....***

Dec 5, 2012, 11:39 AM [ in reply to You will have a better case against it ....*** ]

I suggest you look up Parole Evidence, Merger Clauses and then realize we are not in California.

Re: So if you always vote against the majority on the

Dec 5, 2012, 9:54 AM [ in reply to So if you always vote against the majority on the ]

I want to get out from under Obama, then. I wish it would work like that, but that isn't the way it shakes out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same for all the stupid EULA agreements you have to accept

Dec 5, 2012, 10:46 AM

to install software or buy a product!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Same for all the stupid EULA agreements you have to accept

Dec 6, 2012, 1:50 PM

Yep!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wish it was true. Still hope for Romney?

Dec 6, 2012, 1:53 PM [ in reply to So if you always vote against the majority on the ]

Go Tigers!

You went to the Citadel. Woory about your own president.

Dec 5, 2012, 7:58 AM

x

pretty sure Gen. Rosa isn't voting on our exit fee from

Dec 5, 2012, 9:16 AM

SoCon ...

Amen to that.....

Dec 5, 2012, 11:35 AM [ in reply to You went to the Citadel. Woory about your own president. ]

Probably never set foot on campus except to catch a game or two.....

Don't assume that Citadel grads can't be Clemson grads, too

Dec 5, 2012, 11:53 AM [ in reply to You went to the Citadel. Woory about your own president. ]

I may have more degrees from Clemson than you do.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's great for you but he doesnt list any on his profile***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:08 PM

he's also happy being reasonably competitive with coots***

Dec 5, 2012, 9:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His goal is to win a national championship.***

Dec 5, 2012, 9:39 AM

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Pres. Barker should be fired for voting yes on the $50mil

Dec 5, 2012, 9:16 AM

We voted yes because we felt it was necessary to insure ND would stay with the conference. If teams start to leave we will go also and it will be much easier to get out of the 50M with a depleted conference.

null

if we do leave, I'd consider it a facilities

Dec 5, 2012, 9:17 AM

Upgrade. Colleges pay 50m for facilities upgrades all the time. And an upgrade guaranteed to make 15-20m per year more is rarely seen in a 50m facility upgrade. That said, I don't think we bolt until a couple more schools leave, and by them you could argue in court for a lot less

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's why it may not matter

Dec 5, 2012, 9:21 AM

GT and UVA go to Big 10. Nc State and Va Tech go to SEC. Clemson, FSU, Louisville and Miami go to Big 12. What conference is left to pay money to?

You think he did that without the board's approval?

Dec 5, 2012, 9:36 AM

If he did he would have already been fired.

Dec 5, 2012, 10:34 AM

he had to vote yes because he was part of the committee that introduced the idea to increase the buyout to $50m.... otherwise he would be a flip-flopper.

Among other reasons.***

Dec 5, 2012, 11:15 AM

Dec 5, 2012, 11:25 AM

And the exit fee for the SEC???

Why does Barker seem to be in Swoffies back pocket?

Dec 5, 2012, 11:37 AM

Swofford has always screwed us.

Dec 6, 2012, 2:10 PM

Yes the president of the university should be fired for athletic decisions. Good call.

The NEW statement from the SCC presidents,

Dec 6, 2012, 2:24 PM

all stating their commitment to the conference will make it harder for ANYONE to get out of paying the exit fee. All 15 presidents signed it, so whine on conference whiners. These guys seem to be intent on building something not running like a Dead Beat dad from child support.

http://www.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/showthread.php?t=23093

ACC presidents,^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:25 PM

I totally support Pres. Barker and the direction he has....

Dec 6, 2012, 2:31 PM

taken our University in Academics. As I have stated on here many times...Academics come before athletics. My degrees from Clemson mean a lot more than any tickets I have ever bought for a football game.

There aren't many things I like more than Clemson Football but this stuff has to stop. Clemson is a University of higher learning not a football factory! Can you have both....I believe so but football should not run a University.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed***

Dec 6, 2012, 2:33 PM

Re: I totally support Pres. Barker and the direction he has....

Dec 6, 2012, 2:47 PM [ in reply to I totally support Pres. Barker and the direction he has.... ]

I disagree with some of the things he's done with academics. He's put our ranking in a magazine over actual education to the extent that Clemson now takes extra steps to increase their ranking.

The Alumni association gives out $2 bills and an additionall 2 $1 bills at graduation and pushes the graduating students to donate the 1's back to Clemson. This way Clemson can claim nearly 100% alumni giving, which increases the magazine ranking while doing nothing to help our actual academics.

These little "games" seem dishonest to me when the time and energy spent playing them could be focused on improving the actual academic programs in ways that the magazine might not measure.

IMO, Barker is far more concerned with looking good and leaving his own legacy than he is with actually making Clemson the best school it can be.

Re: I totally support Pres. Barker and the direction he has....

Dec 6, 2012, 3:04 PM

Those "little games" as you so incorrectly phrased it are exactly the type things every other university does to fit the parameters established by the entities that rank colleges and universities. Clemson's true academics never really needed a lot of upgrade---which is constantly ongoing regardless. What really needs to happen--and is slowly happening--is the generation of a huge fund that Clemson can have at its disposal to begin work on new buildings, pay top professors, and create new departments without having to wait on start-up money from the state---money and support which has dwindled to nearly nothing in the past 20 years. And while that fund won't necessarily be used to keep tutition unrealistically low, it is there as a hedge against a lot of other financial issues. Every business wants to have a large bank account for when times get slim. Clemson has just never had enough alumni nor the type schools (medical, law, etc) that would generate large contributions. Every generation has proudly done what they could....but now, Clemson really is leading higher education in South Carolina into the future and making a name for itself nationally and internationally at the same time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're nit-picking.

Dec 6, 2012, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I totally support Pres. Barker and the direction he has.... ]

I don't know anything about that program but I know that since he's been our President, the national reputation of Clemson has gone through the roof. Every year we set records for number of applicants, and the quality of those applicants continues to rise. Students from everywhere want to come here. Private funding has gone through the roof. Facilities upgrades abound. It really is unbelievable the decade we've had, considering how bad the economy has been and how much the state government has slashed our budget. Your example is but a single alumni donation gimmick in over a decade of remarkable improvements to the school.

null

Am I?

Dec 6, 2012, 3:12 PM

I remember this causing a big stink: http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/06/04/clemson

Do you?

Dec 6, 2012, 3:15 PM

Do you remember how many of her accusations were discredited? Like when they modified the salary calculations because they found out that they had been UNDERREPORTING them?

null

and of course it was refuted

Dec 6, 2012, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Am I? ]

not only by the idiot woman who started the firestorm but by everyone at Clemson who contributed to that particular year's ranking by the magazine.

Google on, MacDuff

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: and of course it was refuted

Dec 6, 2012, 3:57 PM

To me, this was the most serious accusation, and it's been proven that it actually happened. Barker of course stated that he truly believes that Clemson outranks every other university in the nation in terms of the overall college experience, but it still seems unrealistic if not a little fishy.

http://archive.upstatetoday.com/?p=47324

I'm not calling for Barker's head or anything of the sort, but I'm not his biggest fan. He got facilities improvements that in many cases were way overdue, and kudos to him for that.

Clemson under Barker is vastly different from the Clemson I dreamed of attending as a kid. Some of that change has been good, but other things have been bad, and I won't turn a blind eye to either.

Considering Barker is an undergrad alum.....

Dec 6, 2012, 4:02 PM

As a lot of us are ... I can completely understand his personal bias. But really, who cares?

If that's the most serious accusation, I'm good.

Dec 6, 2012, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Re: and of course it was refuted ]

A university president who says his university is the best? Meh. Most of us have said the same thing. Clemson is, in our opinions, a unique academic experience.

But as I've said dozens of times over the years...fine...let's see the report of EVERY university president's rankings. Let's see how honest every university president is about their own schools. And I'm talking about the rankings from the same year as Barker's. Have you noticed there was no backlash from any other university presidents about this? Wonder why that is? Maybe they didn't want people to start asking too many questions.

null

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic