Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball Player Update: Jennings displeased with tournament officiating
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 69
| visibility 1

Basketball Player Update: Jennings displeased with tournament officiating

Mar 9, 2012, 8:37 AM

Jennings displeased with tournament officiating

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I only wish Milton could claim foul on the two or three long

Mar 9, 2012, 8:41 AM

range jumpers that hit the back of the rim so hard, it chipped the paint, and the three point blank shots at the rim he missed.....

He did shoot 60% (3-5) from long-range but yeah the two he

Mar 9, 2012, 10:13 AM

missed clanked pretty hard.

I don't think players ought to be complaining about officials myself. That's the coach's job. But in the rest of the article, Milt makes it pretty clear that he didn't think we played well and should've played better. That said, I doubt our guys were expecting UNC or Duke game officiating when we were only playing Va Tech.

Only wish you had glanced at the Boxscore before you

Mar 9, 2012, 12:40 PM [ in reply to I only wish Milton could claim foul on the two or three long ]

shot your mouth off...He only missed 2 from downtown, he shot 60%...Are you complaining about a player shooting 60%?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only wish you had glanced at the Boxscore before you

Mar 11, 2012, 9:00 PM

CM, he only thinks he has the right to point fingers. And the only one that should deside when Reffs are doing a poor job. I agree with Milt. The second half looked to be bought and payed for. Clemson basketball team had been hot the last 5 games. And could have played with and could have won against any of the ACC teams. I do believe the Reffs desided that Clemson wasn't going to get that chance. I also believe there is more dirt going on in the Greensboro ACC office than most could ever imagin. Swofford has desider who the top ACC teams are going to be a long time ago. And that will be so untill the Greensboro office has been cleaned out from the top to the bottom. It is what it is!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad Milton spoke his mind. The flagrant was possibly a

Mar 9, 2012, 8:44 AM

good call, but there were numerous other calls he could have cited. For example, the clear charge Baciu took that was not called. When bodies slam together like that there HAS to be a call one way or the other. Bobo was standing flat-footed with his arms straight up. Basket should have been waived off and one-and-one on the other end. Could have tied the game at that point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

You don't shoot free throws for player control fouls...

Mar 9, 2012, 9:10 AM

but yes, it should have been called a charge.

null

I think we were in the bonus at that point.***

Mar 9, 2012, 11:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think we were in the bonus at that point.***

Mar 9, 2012, 11:33 AM

A player control foul isn't rewarded with free throws even in the bonus.

Re: I think we were in the bonus at that point.***

Mar 9, 2012, 12:27 PM

Ah. Thanks.

What difference would it have made?

Mar 9, 2012, 9:24 AM [ in reply to I'm glad Milton spoke his mind. The flagrant was possibly a ]

We couldn't hit free throws when it mattered down the stretch, anyway.

Its part of the game...

Mar 9, 2012, 8:45 AM

winners win in spite of it...

but basketball officiating has gotten progressively worse over the years as apparently the rules for things like traveling, palming, etc. have been loosened. Basketball officiating has become almost as subjective as figure skating judging.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, and rules like adding time to the clock have

Mar 9, 2012, 8:51 AM

been loosened ...well if you wear blue and are playing Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its part of the game...in the ACC that is.

Mar 9, 2012, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Its part of the game... ]

The ACC refs by supporting Karl Hess prove that they are above the game itself. He was wrong and is being punished.

When they went to the scorers table to see a foul on a potential 3 ball, you could hear the official when they returned... "Not even close!" Why was he yelling and being so arrogant toward the players? Attitude...pure and simple.

Yea, maybe he was admitting it wasn't even close to a

Mar 9, 2012, 9:10 AM

foul either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

All I ask is consistency.

Mar 9, 2012, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Its part of the game... ]

My wife commented in the first half, "They're sure letting them play. That's good." I said, "It's good if they call it the same way in the second half, but you watch, we'll get called for 30 fouls."

Was I right?

All they did was shoot jumpshots in the first half. In the

Mar 9, 2012, 8:59 AM

second half it became a much more inside-at the basket game. I don't know why it is so hard for some of you to grasp this simple basketball concept.

The first half I watched had so much banging going on

Mar 9, 2012, 9:02 AM

that even my WIFE said "They sure are letting them play." What first half did you watch?

Re: All I ask is consistency.- yeah I never understood that

Mar 9, 2012, 8:59 AM [ in reply to All I ask is consistency. ]

why do they chnge mid stream. players will adapt to consistency but when you're all over the map they can't

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So true Franc and, you

Mar 9, 2012, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Its part of the game... ]

don't personally miss two first half lay-ins,and the tean go what 4 points in 12 minutes and miss that many FT's at the end and then publicly call out the refs. You had too many chances to win to do that.

deer TDer

Mar 9, 2012, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Its part of the game... ]

I have written a ###### that gives me the address of people who TD me and will send a ghey stripper to your residence with a card from your coworker, Lance

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: deer TDer

Mar 9, 2012, 11:39 AM

and you SURE don't want Franc stripping on your front porch!

Just sayin'.

You promise?***

Mar 9, 2012, 12:14 PM [ in reply to deer TDer ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see travelling almost every time a player catches a pass.

Mar 9, 2012, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Its part of the game... ]

Literally, I think there is an uncalled travel once every few seconds in modern basketball.

Definitlely how a player can dribble a ball has changed. It

Mar 9, 2012, 9:49 AM

is almost unrecognizable what alot of guards do now with the ball compared to some old Bob Cousy footage.

Re: Basketball Player Update: Jennings displeased with tournament officiating

Mar 9, 2012, 9:06 AM

Hey Milton, let's talk about your hands of stone. You missed a pass from Booker that would have been a dunk. Mishandled another pass the would have been a layup.

I am displeased with Milton's missed layups.***

Mar 9, 2012, 9:14 AM

not just him

Mar 9, 2012, 9:21 AM

they all miss layups. we miss lots of them

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anybody that didn't see the discrepancies in favor of VT is

Mar 9, 2012, 9:47 AM

a blind fool. I can think of at least 7 calls/ non-calls that caused possession changes against Clemson. Even Elmore commented about the refs calling it different in the second half, only he didn't mention that it was going to be all one way. That wouldn't have fit the ESPiN story line that Muck Putrid obsessed on from the start.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. It's the same story every year. Yes, the free throws

Mar 9, 2012, 12:30 PM

Didn't help, but the officiating caused a 12 pt swing between the 5 minute and 2 minute mark, and that's all VT needed.

Patrick went out of his way to say Tanner did an acting job

Mar 9, 2012, 9:58 AM

by falling down and the defender was nowhere near him. Time like that makes me want to forget about competing in ACC basketball. Patrick can join Vitale in defending the favored teams in our league.

Was Patrick calling the game? The broadcast I watched

Mar 9, 2012, 10:30 AM

had Brando and Bonner.

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

You're lucky. You got the game via the ACC network.

Mar 9, 2012, 11:43 AM

Yeah, Pasty-face called it on EZPNU.

Mar 9, 2012, 10:29 AM

He always blames someone else ...

This is why Milty should not be allowed to speak to the

Mar 9, 2012, 11:35 AM

media. An insignificant player bitching about officiating makes things harder for the team as a whole. How do you think those refs will react the next time they are involved with a Clemson game?

If we hit FT's, if we grab offensive boards, and if players like Jennings make lay-ups, we win that game by 5 or more.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deer Milt.

Mar 9, 2012, 12:07 PM

I agree. ACC officials suck. That is your problem?

Since neither of us can change that lets focus on my problem instead of yours.

I know of a five star forward (Jr) who just can' seem to grow up. He just ain't ready for manhood yet. He lets everyone else control his emotions quite like a child. No offense to children intended. He gets 'mentally,' taken out of games because of the actions of others.

He and I sure would be glad if you tell him how you overcame this issue in your life!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2012, 12:17 PM

One of the worse aspects of officiating was that Clemson did have their man blocked out for the def. rebound. But when he jumped for the ball somehow he he landed underneath the basket and sometimes almost into the fans.

Milton's right.. I know some people want to say he whines or

Mar 9, 2012, 12:24 PM

whatever, but he's sticking up for his team on some fouls that were obviously BAD / BS calls on us.

I'm saying he lets that crap change his game.

Mar 9, 2012, 12:28 PM

I don't disparage Milts pointing out the officials sucked last night. I'm pointing out that because they suck he gets his head up his butt and looses focus. He is a junior now. Its time to GTFU!

Is that not true?

Why even bother Milt? You will find no love here...Just Hate***

Mar 9, 2012, 12:55 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Milt probably isn't the best person to be making these

Mar 9, 2012, 1:03 PM

comments given his history, but he isn't wrong. It was a poorly officiated game, and I'm not just talking about the big calls (and no-calls) that went against us late. The first half was really physical and there were very, very few foul calls. I think we only had 1 PF in the entire half.

Then we come out in the 2nd half playing the same physical game and the refs suddenly start calling everything, and VT ends up winning the game from the foul line.

The worst part of all of it though was Mike Patrick harping on Tanner's acting job when he clearly got hit on the hand/wrist. He actually made some comment about there not being a player in the same zip code or some stupid crap like that.

Re: Milt probably isn't the best person to be making these

Mar 9, 2012, 1:18 PM

PUCK Mike Fatrick!

When I think of M. Patrick

Mar 9, 2012, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Milt probably isn't the best person to be making these ]

those words come to mind a lot.

Milton's right, of course,.......that flagrant foul call was

Mar 9, 2012, 1:03 PM

just total BS. And for all intents and purposes was the turning point in the game which the Tigers couldn't overcome......the missed clutch free throws are an ongoing dialogue within Clemson basketball.

Why an official wants to interject himself in the outcome of the game instead of letting the players decide it has always baffled me. IMO, it shouldn't have even been called a normal foul---it could easily have been viewed just a normal part of the way the game had been played up to that point. (as an example, remember the last game Clemson played when Tanner got fouled while in the air, fell hard to floor and missed the rest of the game??---NO CALL!!)

And there's no need reliving other missed calls or bad calls during this opening game of the ACCT....I just hope Milton doesn't get some sort of stupid, hypocritical reprimand from John Clougherty

Hey! Maybe if the Tigers had worn a piece of tape on their shoes with "KH" written on it???

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

looks like jennings is an official Tigernetter

Mar 9, 2012, 1:14 PM

complaining about the refs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2012, 1:30 PM

It was pretty obvious the ACC refs wanted to give VT a feel good story to "make up" for all of their close losses. ESPN kept harping about it the whole game.

F1 was the right call. Book has to have control over his

Mar 9, 2012, 1:46 PM

elbows. They called one on plumblee in littlejohn that wasn't as bad as the one Book did last night. F2 would have been a bad call but F1 was appropriate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I STRONGLY disagree........

Mar 9, 2012, 1:47 PM

but you get to have your opinion

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: F1 was the right call.

Mar 9, 2012, 2:10 PM [ in reply to F1 was the right call. Book has to have control over his ]

We can't argue with that call - especially since they reviewed it. But, The VT player could have been called for a foul before the pass got there. It's getting harder to understand fouls in basketball these days.

I was listenening to ESPN Radio at the time of this foul

Mar 9, 2012, 2:49 PM

and Bob V kept saying, "there was contact to the face and that's textbook Flagrant 1"..."contact with the face!".

To that, I've got to add that my wife (Clemson alum)'s family are Billygoat fans and she's not been able to purge her bandwagonness from birth for them--so we watch a lot of UNC games. I have seen at least 3 Zeller elbows to someone else's face just this year. All of them are incedental contact--I'm not sure, but rarely are they even called fous--because he's clearing after a rebound.

Maybe it was in the NC State game where the NC State guy got knocked in the eye so badly by Zeller that he voluntarily layed down on the baseline on the other side of the court until the ball naturally changed posessions. The refs THEN called an injury time out so that he could get help. The guy was bleeding.

I know this was VT and who really cares about them in G'boro, but it just seems that if a rule is defined by 'contact to the face', I wouldn't have seen Zeller get away with this trash so many times. I don't watch Duke, so nothing to compare there.

Mar 9, 2012, 4:32 PM

Was he displeased with his playing? A junior and no better than his freshmen year..

Mar 9, 2012, 4:52 PM

You're right, - 10 points and 5 and a half boards a game as a junior is no improvement at all over 3 points and 1 and a half boards as a freshman...

It's about time someone spoke out on the officals and how

Mar 9, 2012, 5:03 PM

they call Clemson games

to #### bad our AD doens't say something and say it in the media for eveyone to see,

who gives a rats but what Swofford or the ACC think of it

one thing about Barnes, he took no crap off Smith, UNC, or the ACC

It really doesn't matter

Mar 9, 2012, 6:20 PM

There will be bad calls in every game. You just have to keep playing.

I'm tired of seeing Milton waste time and energy whining to the refs about something he can't change. He needs to keep focused on the game and cant let bad calls by the refs influence how he or the rest of the team performs.

Just for my own edification....

Mar 9, 2012, 6:23 PM

when did you ever hear Milton "whine" about the refs before yesterday????????? Serious, I'd like to know an example to back up your poormouthing.

and, btw, he didn't say ANYTHING about the officiating until AFTER the game was over.

BS

Mar 9, 2012, 6:31 PM

I shouldnt have to show you anything. Just watch his demeanor throughout the game.

Hell he said it himself, "I just don’t think down the stretch it went the right way or at all were fair. I think it kinda took the wind out of our team.”

There is not a single team in the nation that doesn't have to deal with bad calls. You just have to get over it and keep playing. Milton has always been a player that lets the negative really affect him we need more mental toughness out of him if he is to be a leader next year.

Re: BS

Mar 9, 2012, 6:41 PM

Milt also said, "But, nonetheless, we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. We should've got those boards. We should've kept them off of those boards. We should've played much better than we did."

What Milt needs to learn is that clarifying comments like that rarely make it into an article before the jump page and never make it to the headline ( not even on Tigernet)...

That certainly is not how he plays.

Mar 9, 2012, 6:45 PM

Bottom line Milton as a senior needs to show more effort and more mental toughness. He is obviously a very emotional player, but he needs to control it and focus more on the game.

Re: That certainly is not how he plays.

Mar 9, 2012, 8:47 PM

"I'm tired of seeing Milton waste time and energy whining to the refs................"

Still waiting on you to back this statement with examples.

I am not knocking Milton or any of the other players but I

Mar 11, 2012, 12:18 PM

have been to all but one home game this year and Milton does complain to the refs about calls and non calls regularly. It seems to let it bother him for a bit and has trouble moving on to the next play.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure what to tell you.

Mar 11, 2012, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Re: That certainly is not how he plays. ]

I've seen just about every game he has played for the last three years, probably at least half of them in person.

Its pretty obvious.

Thought I'd relay another more informed posters views

Mar 12, 2012, 12:32 PM

on the dolts who do nothing but criticize Milton....and I'm fed up with it too.....there's a huge difference between "talking" to refs to find what the problem was and going through histrionics while "complaining" about a call.

Oh, and btw, you may have noticed Milton wasn't the only person complaining about the officiating at the Tournament.

Cutigergrad04

[Ignore Cutigergrad04]
[Follow Cutigergrad04]
Aficionado [166]
TigerPulse: 88%
[Pulse Rate]
Followers: 0
Charlotte, NC

Re: Milton needs to zip it up ... He has underperformed for [1]
Posted: Mar 12, 2012 12:12 AM

I get so tired of people claiming he's too emotional and has no confidence. Does the confidence thing really surprise anyone? Half of our "so called fans" do nothing but berate him every game. As a former college player let me tell you something, we read these boards and it's an embarrassment to see some of the comments regarding him.

Second, yes he has been inconsistent at times, but his numbers are not as bad as some make it out. The majority of McDonald's All Americans are 10 and 5 a night players. We've just become accustomed of seeing thd best of thd best come through schools like UNC and Duke.

Last, Milt will never be a true post player, that's not his game and it's not what garnered him all the accolades. It was his ability as a "big man" to shoot the 3(which we've begun to see). In all honesty he's more of a combo 3/4 and it's my understanding that next season with the addition of Landry Nnoko and Josh Smith that he'll see more time at the 3.

I'm not dogging Milton

Mar 12, 2012, 7:57 PM

I am just saying we need him to change his approach to the game if he is to be a senior leader on the team next year.

Of course to you I'm not allowed to say anything negative about someone who was suspended twice this season and has been largely inconsistent his entire career at Clemson. Its like your trying to tell me Milton is the perfect player and has no room to improve.

Its time for him to step up and grow up. Stop worrying about the refs, stop being so tentative, stop worrying about messing up and just get out there and play.

Milton needs to zip it up ... He has underperformed for

Mar 11, 2012, 9:37 PM

the Tigers never approaching his supposed high school all-american credentials. He absolutely has above average talent but lacks game confidence. He is constantly being whistled for touch fouls, and two of his favorite shots are the turnaround lay-up and the fade-away layup. This is because he is weak, soft and non-confrontational with any physical opponents.

I say all of this as a lifetime Clemson fan, and someone who believes Milton Jennings has squandered his talent and his ACC eligibility over the past three years. Get it together your senior year and attend all your classes because you only have one more year of organized basketball.

Many referees in the ACC are weak. No argument. The problem is your your whining comes across like a house burglar complaining about being caught by rent-a-cop security guards. Worry about your game in your last year of eligibility, go to some big-man camps, lift some damm weights for a change, and let Coach Brownell and TDP address the refs. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Milton needs to zip it up ... He has underperformed for

Mar 12, 2012, 12:12 AM

I get so tired of people claiming he's too emotional and has no confidence. Does the confidence thing really surprise anyone? Half of our "so called fans" do nothing but berate him every game. As a former college player let me tell you something, we read these boards and it's an embarrassment to see some of the comments regarding him.

Second, yes he has been inconsistent at times, but his numbers are not as bad as some make it out. The majority of McDonald's All Americans are 10 and 5 a night players. We've just become accustomed of seeing thd best of thd best come through schools like UNC and Duke.

Last, Milt will never be a true post player, that's not his game and it's not what garnered him all the accolades. It was his ability as a "big man" to shoot the 3(which we've begun to see). In all honesty he's more of a combo 3/4 and it's my understanding that next season with the addition of Landry Nnoko and Josh Smith that he'll see more time at the 3.

maybe you need to zip it up bro

Mar 12, 2012, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Milton needs to zip it up ... He has underperformed for ]

guess you have not been watching either, because he played 2x times better after his suspension and he always plays hard.

That's all I can ask for.

"Above average talent" ?

Mar 12, 2012, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Milton needs to zip it up ... He has underperformed for ]

What area would that be?
Maybe his actual height?

I can't think of another area.

Mar 12, 2012, 7:59 PM

Mar 12, 2012, 11:22 PM

He probably just earned himself a few games on the bench to begin next season. I do not disagree with him, but if coaches get fined for complaining about officials, I doubt these comments will go unnoticed by the ACC and/or Coach B.

I really don't want to hear from Milt about anything

Mar 13, 2012, 4:26 PM

except him saying he is going ot be the leader we need next year. i am truly suprised by the amount of defense he got on this thread. Yes he has improved since he was a freshmen, and yes he has truly carried us in the post in some games, since Booker is asleep half the time.

But that does not excuse the fact that Milt is probably on of our most inconsistent players. I believe that with his talent he can truly be a 15 and 8-10 guy every night. He's faster then most his size and has good post moves. He's shot is respectable enough that teams have to guard him up top, which aids him using that speed.

But none of that changes his softness. Milt needs to get his mind right. When he's mentally focused he is one of out best players but he allows too many things to take his mind out of the game.

He needs some mental toughness and to have the leadership qualitys that Smith and Young had in spades this year.
He and Booker will have to be our leaders next year and that scares me on a level that I can barely fathom.

Ge ti together Milt, and you too Booker. both of oyu have talent and you've shown us flashes allow BB to mold you the right way and let us see the same improvement we saw from Grant, Bobo, Young, Stitt and Smith and you will be two dominate big men.

Replies: 69
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic