Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My mother is an alumnus from that magical 1981 season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,407

My mother is an alumnus from that magical 1981 season

Jan 8, 2017, 12:51 PM

I finished in 1992 ( she went back when I was 7 for those of you doing the math), and I have seen two great eras in Clemson football. My mother has watched me over the years live and die by this teams successes an failures. She is keeping my kids as my wife and I leave for Tampa. She has been following this team more closely than any year before. She has fallen in love with this team as I have, players coaches and all. As we were leaving she gave me a big hug and told me that this team was the team that would get us back to the top. I believe her.

Now hopefully we will have a safe trip down so we can bring back another championship!

Go Tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

TD for lack of pig of mom.***

Jan 8, 2017, 1:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My mother is an alumnus from that magical 1981 season

Jan 8, 2017, 1:55 PM

Your post resonated with me. I was a grad student at CU from 1976-1980 and tutored athletes on the side for the Athletic Program. I recall one evening when on my way to my tutoring station I ran across an encounter between the "brain coach" (he ran the mandatory athlete's study hall) and a 6' 1", 240 lb football player who showed up with neither books nor study materials. The brain coach stood on the poor kids toes, put his mouth next to the kids jaw and preceded to dress him down for the next five minutes. I've never heard worse cursing. The kid shrank from over 6' tall to about 4' 8" tall. Last I saw of him he was running back to the dorm to get his study hall material. Of course all of the other athletes (there were hundreds - all sports) heard the encounter. In the long history of Clemson, I don't think there was ever more intense studying going on than that evening. While painful to watch (and impossible in today's world), that episode probably made some serious students. From my vantage point inside the academic part of the program, I can tell you that everything possible was done to make the athletes into successful students. It appears that Dabo's program continues the investment in the kids - but maybe with less of an edge.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw a little student admonishing one of our ~7' BB players

Jan 8, 2017, 2:02 PM

back in the mid-late 1980s. It happened in the corridor in Sirrine Hall. There was some heated 'discussing,' going down with threats to 'tell Ellis,' finally ending the 'discussion,' sending the player to a classroom. Good times!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2017, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: My mother is an alumnus from that magical 1981 season ]

Sounds like that tutor was trained by Col. Richard Robbins, the master of the dress down. Absolutely wonderful man who was great to work with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2017, 2:36 PM

I vividly remember on a cold January morning walking to an 8 o'clock class beside Randy Mahaffey after a game the night before ar Duke. No tutor required! Impressive!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2017, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: My mother is an alumnus from that magical 1981 season ]

I vividly remember on a cold January morning walking to an 8 o'clock class beside Randy Mahaffey after a game the night before at Duke. No tutor required! Impressive!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your post resonated***

Jan 8, 2017, 1:56 PM

Jan 8, 2017, 2:04 PM

Have a great trip. Bring us home a title

Jan 8, 2017, 2:36 PM

awesome post. hope you have a safe trip and I hope the team brings a smile to your mother's face and ours too. Go Tigers!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,407
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic