Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So an additional $30 to have printed football tickets.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

So an additional $30 to have printed football tickets.....

Mar 6, 2018, 6:42 PM

I guess IPTAY donations and seat equity doesn't generate enough money to print tickets. I know that's probably not a big deal to many but I am one that keeps every ticket and just don't want to move to e-tickets. All of these costs add-ons and not to mention my parking being moved farther out every year. They are pricing the common man (ME!) right out of this. I am seriously considering abandoning IPTAY and purchasing parking and tickets on secondary market. Hate to do it, but probably only way I can continue to afford to attend games. I'm a 30+ year donor and have two Clemson degrees. I just can't keep up with the huge cost of success.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So an additional $30 to have printed football tickets.....

Mar 6, 2018, 7:03 PM

Agree! What a racket! IPTAY for about 40 years and struggle each year whether to spend the money for seats and tickets. Kept our tickets even when living in Nebraska for 15 years. I am about ready to throw in the towel. Used to get in games for 25-50 cents as a kid.

Mar 6, 2018, 7:52 PM

Where do you think the money comes from to build all the new facilities we have, pay the coaching staff, etc?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2018, 8:20 PM

Tv, bowl games,Nike , New Springs,ten dollar drinks etc

Mar 6, 2018, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: So an additional $30 to have printed football tickets..... ]

Tv, bowl games,Nike , New Springs,ten dollar drinks etc

Mar 7, 2018, 11:15 AM

ESPECIALLY New Springs, they got billions.

Mar 6, 2018, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: So an additional $30 to have printed football tickets..... ]

JD404® said:

Where do you think the money comes from to build all the new facilities we have, pay the coaching staff, etc?

TV, conference affiliation, bowl and playoff revenue and ticket sales---at $12.00 a ticket a full stadium represents a million dollars----they are driving their most loyal supports away---mark it down, when the Tigers are not winning 10 plus games every year, the fence jumpers will not be there to support them.

It isn’t the 50s any more and we definitely weren’t having

Mar 7, 2018, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: So an additional $30 to have printed football tickets..... ]

the success then. And tickets were probably less than 25 cents to mail.

This thread reminds me a lot of the threads about undergrad admissions a few weeks ago.

Mar 6, 2018, 8:45 PM

A sob story about being hurt somehow by Clemson, a yearning for the good ‘ol days, and a bold statement about Clemson losing its way.

I’m not sure what Clemson is supposed to do in these situations. If Clemson can accept a higher caliber of student, or command a higher amount for athletic tickets, then it should.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: This thread reminds me a lot of the threads about undergrad admissions a few weeks ago.

Mar 6, 2018, 8:52 PM

Sure they can on both issues and they continually do. Doesn't make it feel good when they continue to reach deeper into the pockets though.

Glad you have more money than you know what to do with though - congrats to you.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This thread reminds me a lot of the threads about undergrad admissions a few weeks ago.

Mar 6, 2018, 9:13 PM [ in reply to This thread reminds me a lot of the threads about undergrad admissions a few weeks ago. ]

I mostly agree with you. However, I think affordability for the middle class family should be a consideration for Clemson’s administration. If you want to maximize revenue on the short-term during these golden years, then sure go ahead and gouge fans for every penny you can squeeze out of them today.

But thinking more long-term, you want to inspire the next generation of fans who will pay those IPTAY dues. Like most on this board, I fell in love with Clemson for the first time as a young boy when my dad took me to a game. I didn’t fall in love with Clemson watching games on TV. We need to maintain some level of affordability so it does not become the spectator sport only for the elite.

Look at boxing. It used to have a widespread appeal. Now, only a slither of the population watches the biggest fights. Of course, they make more money than ever because that “slither” will pay $100 a pop to watch a fight on pay per view. Maybe a bad example, but I don’t want college football to become that type of sport. It’s appeal to the masses where we have a common shared experience with millions of other passionate fans is part of the beauty of the sport.

Mar 6, 2018, 9:35 PM

Our government isn't especially interested in affordability for the middle class...why should Clemson carry that burden?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We could get rid of our high priced coaching staff

Mar 7, 2018, 5:11 AM [ in reply to Re: This thread reminds me a lot of the threads about undergrad admissions a few weeks ago. ]

and see if Bowden wants his job back! We could put a moratorium on all new construction too. We could save on travel for recruiting. I'm sure there are other ways we could save money in order to reduce ticket prices.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2018, 12:37 AM [ in reply to This thread reminds me a lot of the threads about undergrad admissions a few weeks ago. ]

Ugh that was so obnoxious

I wasn’t trying to be obnoxious.

Mar 7, 2018, 11:38 PM

I just honestly don’t get the sense of entitlement from some of our fans and alums. Cheap Clemson football tickets aren’t a perpetual right. Times have changed and college football is big business. If we want to keep Clemson football tickets and IPTAY dues more affordable, then we better not expect to have top facilities, the best recruits, and the success we’ve been having recently.

Do we want to keep Clemson football tickets accessible to all, or do we want to play football at the highest level? These two goals are mostly mutually exclusive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 7, 2018, 11:16 AM [ in reply to This thread reminds me a lot of the threads about undergrad admissions a few weeks ago. ]

This is a sad fact a lot of donors are facing, they just keep increasing and increasing parking, ticket sales, and now a 30 fee for printed tickets? I hate how money hungry our athletic deparment is becoming. Also I'm very very disappointed in the way they have began to treat long time donors for new donors with a little more money that jumped on the gravy train once we got back to being a elite program. I understand it's a business but the way I have personally been treated and how so many ppl have told me they have had same experience is little hurting. I'm a tiger til the day I die I bleed orange and purple but I don't like the way they are becoming all about the money, jmho. Go Tigers!!

Judge, Clemson could ratchet up revenue and

Mar 7, 2018, 10:21 PM [ in reply to This thread reminds me a lot of the threads about undergrad admissions a few weeks ago. ]

student quality as measured by SAT/ACT scores by seriously decreasing the number of SC students and increasing tuition and the number of out-of-state students. It works well at UVA. Still, Clemson has long taken pride in the well-rounded man and "there's something in these hills." You have to acknowledge there are some trade-offs in Clemson's recent metamorphosis, and that 50-70% of alums would not be qualified to attend Clemson today. Clemson could potentially double football ticket prices, sell less tickets, and make more money as well. Just saying your message sounded a little Machiavellian for you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks. I didn’t mean to come across that way.

Mar 7, 2018, 11:47 PM

Academically, Clemson should strive to attract the best and brightest. Clemson not only maintains its in state to out of state ratio of students, but it has also increased undergrad enrollment in recent years. I wish every legacy applicant who is academically capable could get into Clemson, but they can’t. Clemson is a very good school and I don’t believe we should turn away too applicants just to take less qualified applicants. Best should be the standard.

Regarding football tickets, I am sure there is a sweet spot to charge for tickets where Clemson can charge more but the seats are still filled. Yes, it prices some people out, but do we want football tickets to be affordable or do we want top coaches, top facilities, and thus top recruits, and thus a high level of success? The money required to have the best coaches and facilities is significantly dependent on the money IPTAY brings in.

Your post reminds me of a story about a man that owned a goose that laid a golden egg...

Mar 8, 2018, 12:41 AM [ in reply to This thread reminds me a lot of the threads about undergrad admissions a few weeks ago. ]

There was once a Countryman who possessed the most wonderful Goose you can imagine, for every day when he visited the nest, the Goose had laid a beautiful, glittering, golden egg.

The Countryman took the eggs to market and soon began to get rich. But it was not long before he grew impatient with the Goose because she gave him only a single golden egg a day. He was not getting rich fast enough.

Then one day, after he had finished counting his money, the idea came to him that he could get all the golden eggs at once by killing the Goose and cutting it open. But when the deed was done, not a single golden egg did he find, and his precious Goose was dead.

Those who have plenty want more and so lose all they have.

Ticket sales and IPTAY

Mar 6, 2018, 9:45 PM

Ticket sales and IPTAY provide more than half of the budget for Clemson athletics. In 2016 those two sources pumped ~$59M into athletics at Clemson. All other sources combined, including TV, licensing, conference payouts and so forth accounted for only ~$47M.

So the money to pay for the football, basketball, baseball programs, indeed all intercollegiate athletics at Clemson comes largely from ticket sales and the contributions to IPTAY which are made largely to secure ticket rights for donors. The bottom line is that the money to run a top notch athletic program, to compete at the highest levels, pay for the best coaches and so forth has to come largely from football ticket sales. If we want to compete at the highest levels, the ticket purchasers will have to foot the bill.

We cannot lower the price of tickets and keep going to the playoffs. We will, in fact increase the price of tickets and IPTAY donor fees in the future as we have in the past in order to compete.

If you want printed tickets, it'll cost you $30 more. If you want to take a family of four to all the games, it's going to get more expensive over time OR we'll have to drop back to a non-nationally competitive level. You know, the Furman/Wofford/Citadel level.

There is no free lunch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ticket sales and IPTAY

Mar 7, 2018, 2:26 AM

This is not a binary choice. Either we pay $30 for printed tickets or we become Wofford - I don’t think so.

If the university needs the extra money to stay competitive, build it into the cost of the tickets or the Iptay donation. You still get the revenue and you improve the donors’ experience where they don’t feel like they are being shaken down for every last bit of disposable income they have.

It’s like the airlines. I would feel much better about my flying experience if they didn’t charge extra for the checked baggage, forcing so many people to carry on which then takes longer to load and unload the cabin, and causing conflict because they run out of overhead space. Just put it in the price of the ticket. Southwest does this and they get much higher customer experience ratings.

The OP’s feedback is valid. No athletic department has an unlimited amount of potential replacements for loyal season ticket holders. Eventually there will be tough times and it’s then that focusing on the fan/donor experience will get you through it.

No sir.

Mar 7, 2018, 7:22 AM

Iptay is giving you a choice.

You propose building $30 into the tickets so every1 has to pay.

I don't have a problem with etickets..why should I have to pay $30 more just because you do?

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

You forgot USuK.

Mar 7, 2018, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Ticket sales and IPTAY ]

:)

I would say they're nicklin' and dimin' you to death.

Mar 7, 2018, 12:38 AM

But that would only betray my age.

Mar 7, 2018, 11:12 AM

This is a sad fact a lot of donors are facing, they just keep increasing and increasing parking, ticket sales, and now a 30 fee for printed tickets? I hate how money hungry our athletic deparment is becoming. Also I'm very very disappointed in the way they have began to treat long time donors for new donors with a little more money that jumped on the gravy train once we got back to being a elite program.

So are they going to pay now for a scanner for every

Mar 7, 2018, 11:16 AM

usher in the stadium in case their is a dispute about where someone's seat is if someone else is sitting in it? Remember the days where you held onto you stub in case someone was mistakenly sitting in your seat? LOL

I remember when a candy bar was a nickel...

Mar 7, 2018, 11:22 AM

A nickel!

~ old fogies

Re: I remember when a candy bar was a nickel...

Mar 7, 2018, 12:19 PM

Me too!

I also remember when I didn’t give a shyatt about clemson. I was six or seven at the time!

It cost to go first class. That is something that has never changed nor will it ever. Clemson football is big time.

I truly expect that in the near future some corporation will purchase the naming rights to DeathValley. That will hurt but it’s the reality of the times.

You could go to the movies and get candy

Mar 7, 2018, 1:10 PM [ in reply to I remember when a candy bar was a nickel... ]

for a dime.

When I was a teenager the price was 10 cents to get in. I’m

Mar 7, 2018, 10:31 PM

sure a 5th Avenue cost less.

Mar 7, 2018, 11:23 AM

Ticketmaster has been doing this for years, I'm surprised it's taken this long for Clemson to do so. If you're one to collect (like I am), you opt for the printed tickets.

Think of how much paper they are saving by going to e-tickets. I'm sure the paper/ink/processing of the tickets are worth the $30 alone.

Mar 7, 2018, 10:06 PM

We briefly considered the print at home option, but there is a LOT of orange and purple on the tickets, meaning you use all 4 print cartridges. (We've printed basketball tickets at home before, and almost always end up with at least one pink or blue ticket when a color has run out.) To print 28 color pages (4 tickets for 7 games) would almost certainly require changing out at least the color cartridges, so it would be $70-ish to print at home, vs. $30 for souvenir tickets -- and Fed Ex.

I'm choosing to direct my anger at HP for the ridiculous price of print cartridges!

Mar 7, 2018, 1:08 PM

If Clemson didn't capitalize on its success while Dabo is here, then you would be lugubrious after his departure. This is what powerhouse football looks like.

It makes you wonder how many season ticket holders

Mar 7, 2018, 10:24 PM

save nothing for retirement. It's all personal choices. Still $30 for printed tickets is nothing.

Why not just throw the $30 into the price.....

Mar 7, 2018, 10:46 PM

.....and avoid a lot of ill will. $30 / ticket is ridiculous for tickets....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Start an IPTAY Bridge program?***

Mar 8, 2018, 6:07 AM

Hbear I want to ask you honestly

Mar 8, 2018, 6:55 AM

If you knew four years ago you would have to pay extra for real tickets but for that expense you would get three straight guaranteed trips for Clemson to go to the college football playoff and win one national championship would you have taken that trade? I'm not giving you a hard time because I agree with you about most things. I just wonder would the trade off be worth it? Imo it would but your opinion matters a lot!

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic