Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
No disrespect but how did George Rogers win Heisman with 8-4 Team that lost to Clemson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

No disrespect but how did George Rogers win Heisman with 8-4 Team that lost to Clemson?

Sep 18, 2019, 11:10 AM

Seems there were 1 or 2 other players nationally that had equal or better personal stats and/or team records.

Whatever, I'll never forget that game in DV1 where Roger's team came in to automatically win but Tigers wore the famous All-Orange and stopped George from crossing our goal-line (4th year he never scored on Clemson).

Saying..great upset to this day imho.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he paid off the voters with cocaine

Sep 18, 2019, 11:16 AM

Tigerbalm1®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Holy Sheep

Sep 18, 2019, 9:52 PM

Sht

nice find

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No disrespect but how did George Rogers win Heisman with 8-4 Team that lost to Clemson?

Sep 18, 2019, 11:19 AM

I was at MUSC at the time and I remember arguing with a SCAR college lamecock grad classmate of mine in pathology lab who was bragging that he had something like 15 100+ yard games. I remember telling him that they ran the poor man 30+ times a game. It shut him up fast.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No disrespect but how did George Rogers win Heisman with 8-4 Team that lost to Clemson?

Sep 18, 2019, 11:20 AM

Ty Detmer won it with an 8-3 and 2 ties record.

Paul Hurnung won it with a 2-8 team.

Jum Plunket won it with a not so great Stanford team. By the way, the Stanford Cardinal were the Stanford Indians when he played.

Random Trivia

Detmer played 13 games BEFORE the trophy was awarded?***

Sep 18, 2019, 2:20 PM

Also, Coots were 8-3 when trophy was awarded; they then got SMOKED by Pitt (ACC! ACC!)

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2019, 11:24 AM

Because back then they actually evaluated the individuals abilities instead of the media popularity contest it is now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2019, 11:36 AM

Always has been about the media. Our fans just dont like that Deshaun was ripped off. The truth is that if they didnt vote so early that season, Deshaun would have won. Something like 25% of the votes were in with 3 games left.

That’s outrageous. There should be no early voting

Sep 18, 2019, 9:18 PM

Allowed. It’s bad enough they don’t wait for the CFP

Well...

Sep 18, 2019, 11:27 AM

in 1980, Rogers had nearly 1,800 yards rushing and 14 Touchdowns. uof5c was still an Independent back then and even though they only won eight games, one of the wins was against Michigan up in Ann Arbor which gave Rogers’ more national recognition.

Frankly...Hugh Green (who finished second) probably should have won it. Green was a 3 time consensus All American who finished his senior season with 123 tackles and 17 sacks. He received the Walter Camp, Maxwell, and Lombardi awards as well as being named the Sporting News Player of the Year and the UPI Player of the Year.

Defensive players rarely win the Heisman. In fact, a defensive play has received the award only once ever. That was Charles Woodson in 1997.

Hershel Walker finished third in the voting that year but he was only a Freshman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Well...

Sep 18, 2019, 12:19 PM

Also if my old memory services the voting was already in or most of the votes were already in before Georgia played their last game of the season against Ga Tech.

FYI. A lot of funny jokes shout ole George but he is a good guy.

Re: Well...

Sep 18, 2019, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Well... ]

Yeah, George was the nation's leading rusher that year with just under 1,800 yards. Walker, a freshman, had around 1,620 rushing, but didn't see action until about QRT 3 in the 1st game vs Tenn. Walker also missed a game with an injury.

Rogers went on to be the #1 pick in the draft, and got run to death by Bum Phillips at New Orleans (leading NFL rusher that year as a rookie - about 1,675 yards). Bum brought in Earl Campbell in '84 & ran him to death same as he did to him at Houston. Now Camp is in a wheelchair, I think.

Rogers went to Washington in '85 as John Riggins was close to retiring. Rogers did play on a Super Bowl winning Redskins team from the '87 season when Washington clobbered Denver - maybe 42-10?

Now George can only lift his right arm about 45-degrees after all those carries and hits.

Times have changed. Roger's signing bonus in '81 as the 1st pick in the draft? About $500K.

Sep 18, 2019, 11:29 AM

You make a good point.

Here's another one. No disrespect intended, buy how many Heisman winners fizzled in the NFL? A few did well, but many have been very average or below average players with short careers. Which begs another question, how significant is the award? And how objective is the selection?

I would rather go undefeated and win another natty.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For me, the Heisman lost a lot of its luster...

Sep 18, 2019, 11:32 AM

after it was literally stolen from Watson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

"Your misuse of the word 'literally' is figuratively...

Sep 18, 2019, 12:22 PM

...driving me insane!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2019, 11:29 AM

To quote the great coot scholar George Rogers, "1,500 yards or 1,000 yards, whichever comes first".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Sep 18, 2019, 12:15 PM

was that the year they were ranked so high until Navy beat them? If so, then early voting might be the culprit. I dont know, of course, just guessing.

Sep 18, 2019, 12:21 PM

No

Sep 18, 2019, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: No disrespect but how did George Rogers win Heisman with 8-4 Team that lost to Clemson? ]

Rogers graduated in 1980

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: 1984

Sep 18, 2019, 6:46 PM

" graduated " .

DB23

you act like gradumating from USuCk is some sort of an

Sep 19, 2019, 9:05 AM

accomplishment. LOL

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Because he was a great running back. Just because he.......

Sep 18, 2019, 12:53 PM

wasted his time/talents on the Coccks it didn't change that.

smh

Sep 18, 2019, 12:57 PM

The fact that we don't have a Heisman winner is mind blowing. Spiller, Deshaun.. should be Heisman winners... just sayin'.

I'm having trouble thinking of another premier program like Clemson that hasn't had a winner.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spiller > Rogers ... and its probably not close.***

Sep 18, 2019, 12:58 PM

did you ever see George play?***

Sep 18, 2019, 1:19 PM

I have to give old Coke Nose credit. his Heisman year was

Sep 18, 2019, 1:13 PM

worthy. He looked like a man among boys that year running the ball. Huge guy with a fair amount of speed, able to shrug off tacklers, and tote the rock 30+ times a game. He was wasted on the Coots.

(And later was wasted on altogether different stuff.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BTW, he never scored on Clemson, but then again, neither

Sep 18, 2019, 1:17 PM

did Herschel Walker, and he was pretty good too. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: never scored on Clemson, neither did Herschel Walker

Sep 19, 2019, 7:27 AM

Those of us from the 80's took great pride in our defense for both of those facts. There were jokes about the Heisman winner getting a trip to someplace they'd never been, the end zone at Death Valley.

Great question...that IS a head scratcher

Sep 18, 2019, 2:26 PM

I looked at the results, and the list of players who finished behind him were impressive. Maybe it was just a down year for everybody. Makes sense, considering who won the national championship.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/awards/heisman-1980.html

There was a bias in favor of seniors back then.

Sep 18, 2019, 4:57 PM

George was a worthy player but most will tell you Herschel as a frosh was better.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Sep 18, 2019, 6:21 PM

Sympathy?

Sep 18, 2019, 6:48 PM

Few people will remember but growing up at that time in Moncks Corner and watching a lot of local sports , The Citadel had a tremendous RB named Stump Mitchell who could have been a real star had he have been in a larger classification .
That kid was a serious talent .

DB23

Sep 19, 2019, 12:14 AM

Pretty decent NFL career, St Louis Cardinals, I think-

Sep 18, 2019, 8:24 PM

I was at the ballgame at DV when the chicken cheerleaders held up a Rogers for Heisman sign. A lot of Clemson fans stood up and cheered with the chickens.

George Rogers rarely said anything that made sense but

Sep 18, 2019, 8:34 PM

one thing he did say was he was lucky to win in a year when his only competition was a freshman (Herschel Walker) and a D lineman (Hugh Greene)

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic