Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ground can’t cause a fumble. Stupid rule.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Ground can’t cause a fumble. Stupid rule.

Sep 1, 2018, 8:41 PM

You should have to maintain possession through the whistle. Period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, very happy- very, very proud.

Re: Ground can’t cause a fumble. Stupid rule.

Sep 1, 2018, 8:46 PM

That is a stupid rule.... if the ground did that on a catch it would be incomplete.... Another stupid rule is "intentional grounding", the only time that it isn't a penalty is when it is the most intentional " clocking".. lol

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you’d have crap-ton of fumbles on the goal line then***

Sep 1, 2018, 8:46 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah, it makes perfect sense

Sep 1, 2018, 8:49 PM

The play is absolutely over when the ball carrier has any part of his body hit the ground other than hand or foot, so by rule the play is over before any fumbling could occur.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So why isn't the rule the same for a receiver catching the

Sep 1, 2018, 8:55 PM

ball? A receiver catches the ball, has it in control, ground causes him to lose control, and it's called an incomplete pass!! The ground caused the fumble!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because, by rule, the receiver doesn’t complete the catch

Sep 1, 2018, 9:06 PM

(If he’s going to the ground) until he maintains possession as he hits the ground.

It’s the same standard (play is over, ball is dead), with the difference being in the case of a runner he has already established possession and in the case of a receiver, he has not.

Your interpretation of the current rule is correct, but

Sep 1, 2018, 8:55 PM [ in reply to Nah, it makes perfect sense ]

the rule is wrong, IMHO. Too many reviews for one thing. And why shouldn’t a ball carrier be expected to hang on to the ball? Seems like a fundamental expectation to me.

He is.

Sep 1, 2018, 9:08 PM

He has to maintain possession until the play is over.... and the play is over the instant he hits the ground.

Yep. As the rule is now.

Sep 1, 2018, 9:29 PM

I just think the rule is wrong.

Re: Yep. As the rule is now.

Sep 1, 2018, 9:34 PM

"I just think the rule is wrong. "

I think your opinion is wrong

SMH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

You know what they say about opinions.

Sep 1, 2018, 9:48 PM

I guess my question would be

Sep 1, 2018, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Yep. As the rule is now. ]

How do you suggest a rule as to when the play is over, if you aren’t going to say its over as soon as the ball carrier is down? How many seconds after he hits the ground doesnhe have keep ahold of the ball?

It seems, to me at least, that it makes perfect sense for all action to stop and the play be over at a distinct determinable instant, and what makes the most sense, again to me, is for it to be as soon as the player is down.

It just seems to me that you are arguing for a rule which extends the play past the point when a ball carrier is down and at that point you’d have to come up with another event with which to call a play over.

Well, I’m kinda tired of the conversation, but

Sep 1, 2018, 10:12 PM

The officials blow the whistle when a play is over. They should determine that the carrier has possession and blow the whistle.

Sep 1, 2018, 9:04 PM

My Dad just said the exact same thing while we were watching the Bama game. I've always wondered why if the Ground can’t cause a fumble why then can the ground cause an incomplete pass

So...riddle me this...

Sep 1, 2018, 9:44 PM

If you're down when you're knee hits the ground, why is a fake field goal legal? ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure if you’re being facetious

Sep 1, 2018, 10:01 PM

But there is an explicit rule which exempts holders from the knee-down rule in college.

I was....

Sep 1, 2018, 10:04 PM

And sarcastic....2... ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2018, 10:04 PM

Would have hurt us today when KB had one pop out due to hitting the ground.

Makes sense to me the ball is dead once it hits the ground if it was under control up to that point.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic