Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kelly B...sometimes the grass isnt greener
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Kelly B...sometimes the grass isnt greener

Jul 12, 2019, 1:49 PM

Sorry if germans

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2845175-with-a-fresh-start-at-mizzou-its-now-or-never-for-snakebitten-qb-kelly-bryant?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

I love KB but I think hes starting to see his decision may have been a little impulsive.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kelly B...sometimes the grass isnt greener

Jul 12, 2019, 1:58 PM

I think the team choice may have been a little strange, but you for sure can't blame him for leaving.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 2:03 PM

He desperately needed to go to a palce where he could be the man and hope for a very good season. That was not happening at Clemson with TL . I do not wish KB ill will but I do wish he kept some of his comments to himself when he chose to transfer. While not privy to anything that went on I do find it hard to believe he was done wrong by the staff.

Jul 12, 2019, 2:07 PM

^^^^^^^^^THIS.

He was never going to play enough to enhance the skills needed for the NFL--not with TL here.

I don't fault him leaving at all. BUT, agree with above....some of the comments should've been kept to himself. Interesting his mentor made comments about things KB read----well..... what did you expect when he just quit the team?!?! This is MAJOR college FB. Additionally, Dabo, who treated KB very fairly, gave him a chance to stay on the team with the promise he wouldn't play him. Not sure many coaches would have done that. That, IMO, would've been much more beneficial than to have just quit the team.

Wish KB all the best in the world. If MIZZ can develop him as a NFL QB...I will be VERY happy for him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he never had the skills to be successful in the NFL

Jul 13, 2019, 7:47 AM

And he never will.

I’d love to seen him prove me wrong and get paid though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 2:06 PM

If he wanted to go somewhere else where he'd be the likely starter then I don't see why he'd regret anything. Of course he's not with as good of a team, but that's obviously not the reason he was leaving in the first place.

Jul 12, 2019, 2:17 PM

Hope he does well.

Jul 12, 2019, 2:12 PM

I wish him nothing but the best and hope that he lights up the chickens for about 350 and 4 TDs for Mizzou.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 2:19 PM

I agree , acutely looking foreword to that game

Jul 12, 2019, 3:29 PM

Dittos ...... would also like to see him light up the Dawgs!

It looks like he made the best decision for everyone

Jul 12, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly B...sometimes the grass isnt greener ]

Would we have won the championship if he stayed? Probably, but TL wouldn't have got the reps he did. They would have still been sharing for a few more games.

KB has a shot this year to do something good. I didn't like some of the things he said, but if it was me, I would have been cussing like a sailor and telling everyone what I thought of them even if I knew I was wrong. At 56, I'm just not that mature yet. (but I am getting better :))

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way we would have beaten Bama and possibly neither ND

Jul 12, 2019, 3:31 PM

with KB at QB. Those passes to Ross and Higgins wouldn’t have been there if KB would’ve been our QB. Defense would have stacked the box, stopped the run, and dared us to go over the top. Which we could not have done.

Would’ve been similar to the 2017 Sugar Bowl

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

I'm saying we might not have won if Kelly stayed as a backup

Jul 12, 2019, 5:31 PM

TL might not have been as good. He sure got a lot better as the season went on and he got more comfortable. That might have taken longer if games 4-8 he was still splitting reps with KB. By game 6 or 8 or sometime, TL would have taken the starting spot by himself with no split time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m gonna go +1 Neil

Jul 12, 2019, 6:00 PM

But it’s better for KB that he left. He knew, as did everyone else, that TL was the future. Never thought we’d see a better QB than DW4 at Clemson. Seems TL may fit that billing though. Will say DW4 had that likeability that CJ28 possessed

BTW - Chase Brice is a better backup than Bryant would’ve been

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

BTW

Jul 12, 2019, 7:47 PM

Taisun Phommachanh is a better back up QB than Kelly B would have been.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It looks like he made the best decision for everyone

Jul 12, 2019, 9:38 PM [ in reply to It looks like he made the best decision for everyone ]

Yes - it’s a struggle Neal ... a real struggle !! Actually - not sure I’m making any progress ...lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

It's hard for a lot of people to come to the realization

Jul 12, 2019, 2:21 PM

that there are other people better than them. And sometimes much better.

I hope I never have to deal with that... ***

Jul 12, 2019, 2:22 PM

Re: I hope I never have to deal with that... ***

Jul 12, 2019, 3:38 PM

Git a tee shirt that says- The older I get the better I was!

Re: I hope I never have to deal with that... ***

Jul 12, 2019, 4:37 PM

Ha!

Re: It's hard for a lot of people to come to the realization

Jul 12, 2019, 3:16 PM [ in reply to It's hard for a lot of people to come to the realization ]

Yeah , shyeah... nuclear powered robots maybe .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: It's hard for a lot of people to come to the realization

Jul 12, 2019, 5:55 PM [ in reply to It's hard for a lot of people to come to the realization ]

Cough couch... Feaster... cough cough.

I would have advised him to go to a smaller school

Jul 12, 2019, 2:24 PM

with a prolific offense and attempt to put up big numbers.

Then hope for a stellar combine performance.

Would have been his best shot at NFL, methinks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what else was he supposed to do? he would sit at Clemson and

Jul 12, 2019, 2:45 PM

he had 1 year of eligibility left. Why not go play? Might be the last time you get to. I think him leaving mid season was a big reason why we were able to reset and go all out to win it all. The distractions were no longer there and TL could just play football..so could all Kelly's buddies. Who knows if the team attitude would have gotten worse if other players felt like he got a raw deal and start bucking the team's progress. You never know with kids.

Kelly did the right thing for him and his teammates. I hope he shows out at Mizzou. I hope he beats the #### out of Carolina one more time!

Jul 12, 2019, 2:47 PM

Great article. Really opened my eyes as to why Dabo and everyone said he is a great guy. I know that's the type of player that is recruited at Clemson, but really pulling for him now. Anyone who didn't read the whole article, I strongly encourage you to do so. I would say almost everyone has struggled with life situations at least somewhat similar to KB's comments. Especially in our younger days. Currently going through a situation myself and asking "Why?".

Jul 12, 2019, 3:05 PM

That Ramon Robinson guy is just the worst. I hope Clemson never recruits a kid affiliated with him again

Jul 12, 2019, 3:14 PM

I wish nothing but the best for KB. Hope It all works it for him. He really is a good kid.

Jul 12, 2019, 4:26 PM

I wish that Kelly had stayed and played this past season on the defensive side of the ball. CBV would have done his best to have him draft ready.

Jul 12, 2019, 4:27 PM

Correction. It would have been this season on defense. He would have sat out the rest of last season.

Excellent article. Thank you for posting.

Jul 12, 2019, 5:26 PM

Kelly is a good guy who simply needed a change of scenery to get the experience and exposure he needs for a shot at the NFL. I don’t blame him for leaving, but as others have said I wished he had kept some of his comments to himself. I’m sure he regrets it too.

I forgive him, and wish him all the best at Missouri.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Hope he does Extremely well!

Jul 12, 2019, 8:08 PM

Hope the ban on Missouri is lifted so he can play in a post season Bowl game.

Hope he absolutely dominates the Chickens.

Personally I didn’t have to walk in his shoes so I can’t say how he should have handled himself.

I could never walk in his shoes...

Jul 14, 2019, 5:45 AM

They are probably at LEAST 5 sizes too big!

Jul 12, 2019, 8:27 PM

It was time for him to go but I’m pulling for him and Missouri now. Beat the heck out of them chickens KB

Jul 12, 2019, 9:47 PM

A huge fan of Kelly B. - and hope he has a huge year at Mizzou... Always felt like his biggest shortcoming was his tendency to pull the ball down so quickly and run - rather than looking to hand off to his running backs .... And given this tendency... wondered why the coaches never (apparently) called straight running plays for the backs with the proper blocking .. we had a great stable of backs... Anyway ....just my idle wondering... lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jul 13, 2019, 12:44 AM

The Mizz spring game was replayed on the SEC Network today. I watched one possession of Kelly’s. I forgot how slow the ball came out of his hand and how long it takes the ball to get to the receiver. He would be so much better as a receiver, running back/jet sweep, or a safety. He may even be good and kickoff returns. He will never play a down at QB in the NFL. I love the kid to death, but let’s not kid ourselves about his chances of playing past college as a QB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2019, 1:02 AM

^^ Spot on with how you view his chances in the NFL. KB blew it by not switching to a different position. Failing to do so probably ruins any possible chance he would have at the next level. Anyone can go back and re-watch our old games with him as QB, and you will see how seldom he went downfield with a deep pass, and how often his tendency was to keep the ball and run it. We have great RB's for that, so KB was a drive-killer so many times. I could list all his weaknesses, but I'm happy he went to Mizzou for a new chance. CLEMSON would NOT have won the NC if he stayed here and played a lot. PERIOD!

Jul 13, 2019, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Kelly B...sometimes the grass isnt greener ]

Spot on analysis - thebravetiger .... Thought the NFL scouts analyses were very telling ... ie ... there has to be a total transformation or he is not playing QB here... and we have to see his ability to complete downfield passes ..... Just hope he makes the NFL in some capacity as he is a gifted athlete ...and a good person....

Jul 13, 2019, 2:42 AM

I'll repeat what I said in another thread: KB leaving was good for the team because it forced everyone to immediately coalesce around TL. Any possible division in the locker room was avoided. It forced everyone to turn the page right away.

Transferring was probably the right thing for him. I wish KB well at Mizzou. However, his shortcomings as a passer were very obvious and I doubt he improves much. Hope I'm wrong.

Jul 13, 2019, 7:56 AM

MoCity said:

I'll repeat what I said in another thread: KB leaving was good for the team because it forced everyone to immediately coalesce around TL. Any possible division in the locker room was avoided. It forced everyone to turn the page right away.

Transferring was probably the right thing for him. I wish KB well at Mizzou. However, his shortcomings as a passer were very obvious and I doubt he improves much. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree. The break was coming, it was needful, and Kelly did the best thing for both himself and the team by making it clean.

It almost bit us went Trevor went down that very first week against Syracuse...but Etienne and Chase Brice stepped up.

The team found its footing and never lost it again, IMHO.

I hope Kelly Bryant has a great season. I do think he's in a good spot for what he needs to do to get a chance at the NFL. I am convinced Kelly Bryant is a guy somebody in the NFL can use and develop, given some of the palookas I've seen teams draft over the years. Bryant's skillset needs some work but nobody can argue the guy isn't tough as nails and a winner.

Jul 13, 2019, 3:35 AM

He definitely made the right call leaving.

It's possible KB STILL doesn't get it

Jul 13, 2019, 1:14 PM

Like many, I think KB is a good guy. There are SO many around today that lack his level of character.

So what's possibly wrong? Maybe it's his focus on himself. He's obviously a dedicated Christian, but believing as he does, why does he (seemingly) continue to focus what appears to be the large amount of his thoughts on Kelly and not Jesus' plan for him - which might NOT be football & the NFL.

He said, "I've been tested over and over." Maybe that's a big CLUE right there. He goes on: "Sometimes I think, 'Is there something YOU have been telling me that I'm not understanding?'"
Probably so, Kelly.

It could be - "Kelly, you still haven't surrendered yourself to ME. You're still focused on 'you in the world' and YOUR plans - rather than MY plans for you. So, are you truly MY servant or yours?"

He apparently dwells on the biblical passage - "Only 'I' know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you and not harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." KB asks, "Is there something I'm not understanding?" Think about the Scripture: "Only 'I' know the plans I have for you (not KELLY knows - only GOD - and His plan for KB might not involve the NFL or football at all). The rest of the passage says, "Plans to prosper you and not harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." 'Prospering' KB might not include NFL fame & money, but contentment serving God according to God's plan for Kelly. "Plans to give you hope and a future." Doesn't God mean hope in an Eternal future in His Kingdom? That's the PRIZE isn't it? Sometimes it includes worldly riches and sometimes not. So again, if KB keeps being "tested over & over" - God COULD be telling him, "Stop with YOU and YOUR plans and submit to MY plan."

Kelly said, "Sometimes you want to ask - 'Why me?'" A keenly knowledgeable Bible teacher once taught us a lesson on that very question. He said he once saw a comic strip (maybe it was Ziggy) where he's looking up asking, "Why me?" The next frame he's still looking up when God replies, "Why NOT?" The meaning being - we all deserve death/punishment RIGHT NOW - but through His grace he gives "some" extra chances. Some He doesn't. It's HIS choice - His plan.

Kelly said, "...but I know everything happens for a reason." I DO think Kelly is a good guy and a real Christian, but just saying, maybe God wants KB's complete attention and full submission to His plan; a little more humility - and a lot less Kelly doing it KELLY'S way.

In no way am I saying I don't have the same faults & more. None of us is even minutely close to perfect. I wish KB well and hope he truly discovers God's Will for him.

Re: It's possible KB STILL doesn't get it

Jul 13, 2019, 4:36 PM

huhud82® said:

Like many, I think KB is a good guy. There are SO many around today that lack his level of character.

So what's possibly wrong? Maybe it's his focus on himself. He's obviously a dedicated Christian, but believing as he does, why does he (seemingly) continue to focus what appears to be the large amount of his thoughts on Kelly and not Jesus' plan for him - which might NOT be football & the NFL.

He said, "I've been tested over and over." Maybe that's a big CLUE right there. He goes on: "Sometimes I think, 'Is there something YOU have been telling me that I'm not understanding?'"
Probably so, Kelly.

It could be - "Kelly, you still haven't surrendered yourself to ME. You're still focused on 'you in the world' and YOUR plans - rather than MY plans for you. So, are you truly MY servant or yours?"

He apparently dwells on the biblical passage - "Only 'I' know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you and not harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." KB asks, "Is there something I'm not understanding?" Think about the Scripture: "Only 'I' know the plans I have for you (not KELLY knows - only GOD - and His plan for KB might not involve the NFL or football at all). The rest of the passage says, "Plans to prosper you and not harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." 'Prospering' KB might not include NFL fame & money, but contentment serving God according to God's plan for Kelly. "Plans to give you hope and a future." Doesn't God mean hope in an Eternal future in His Kingdom? That's the PRIZE isn't it? Sometimes it includes worldly riches and sometimes not. So again, if KB keeps being "tested over & over" - God COULD be telling him, "Stop with YOU and YOUR plans and submit to MY plan."

Kelly said, "Sometimes you want to ask - 'Why me?'" A keenly knowledgeable Bible teacher once taught us a lesson on that very question. He said he once saw a comic strip (maybe it was Ziggy) where he's looking up asking, "Why me?" The next frame he's still looking up when God replies, "Why NOT?" The meaning being - we all deserve death/punishment RIGHT NOW - but through His grace he gives "some" extra chances. Some He doesn't. It's HIS choice - His plan.

Kelly said, "...but I know everything happens for a reason." I DO think Kelly is a good guy and a real Christian, but just saying, maybe God wants KB's complete attention and full submission to His plan; a little more humility - and a lot less Kelly doing it KELLY'S way.

In no way am I saying I don't have the same faults & more. None of us is even minutely close to perfect. I wish KB well and hope he truly discovers God's Will for him.

To play Devil's Advocate, maybe this was a part of his journey all along for God to grow him. Often times hindsight is 20/20 and we're thankful some things didn't work out. Maybe that is his path or maybe this path helps him in his quest for the NFL.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love Kelly Bryant

Jul 13, 2019, 1:29 PM

Loved the way he led us back to the CFP in 2017. Love the way he beat Auburn, Louisville, and VT in the early games in 2017 when all three teams had focused their whole year on beating Clemson after Watson was gone. He just killed them. Loved the way he tore up big bad 10 win Miami to give the Tiger another ACC title.

Bryant was a good player for us. I wish him well. I hope he has a great year in the SEC and gets to play professionally somewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2019, 1:40 PM

Didn’t get the “grass is greener” stuff at all from that article. Kelly said some things he probably regrets, but that was emotion talking, and we’ve all said things in the heat of the moment we later regret. In hindsight, he and Dabo made the right decision for both parties involved. Wish him nothing but success, and hope he blisters the chickens.

Jul 13, 2019, 4:49 PM

This.

Also, people that keep saying, "he should have changed positions to help the team..."

Seriously? What...are these kids robots? That works for some people but insinuating that someone needs to do something for a game to appease the fans or program? HA!

Maybe his changing positions could have helped his NFL aspirations...However, I'm with him.

Do what you're passionate about. If that passion is not playing another position, why be miserable learning another spot? Just for a potential paycheck at the next level where the average career is maybe 1 contract? Nah, can't blame him if he wants to do it his way.

Money is nice - we could all rationalize playing for millions - but life is too short. Do what makes you happy and have no regrets.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your concern for KB's life choices seems...not genuine.***

Jul 13, 2019, 3:01 PM

Also, seriously, do you struggle with basic reading comprehension?

Jul 13, 2019, 3:11 PM

There's not one comment from KB or the author or ANYONE suggesting that he's feeling regret over his transfer.

I hear Tri-County Tech has a solid remedial reading program for adults (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not an 11-year old). That might be a good thing for you to look into while KB is getting a REAL education and playing QB in the SEC. Just a suggestion...please don't take offense.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic