Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Young turks and Silverbacks: we have a mission
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Young turks and Silverbacks: we have a mission

Oct 3, 2012, 7:45 AM

Over the last couple of days, I've noticed some finger pointing ... well-intentioned, perhaps, but disconcerting ... by different camps accusing the other of not bringing proper verbal havoc to the games.

As a Silverback, I don't wish to join in this accusation. It serves no purpose beyond fracturing the wall of sound that will be needed to brutalize the Bees this weekend.

But I will note: has there ever been another fan base to receive a crowd noise penalty...at their OPPONENT'S field?

Clemson fans have. That is the legacy given to the young Sons of Clemson from the Silverbacks.

We were loud, and we were feared. It was not a successful game for us if we didn't force false starts, and get at least one warning for excessive noise.

It was our job as the Sons of Clemson. And we were d@mn proud of it.

Now, decades later, we may not be able to ring up the noise of years past. Our knees creak a bit when we rise to roar for the defense, and there's a bit more wheeze and waver in the throat.

But the spirit screams just as loud as ever for our Tigers.

That is why we turn to you, the young and strong of voice, to blend your full-throated roar into a hellish din.

Never lose the desire to be heard. Never give our opponents a chance to think, to regroup, to ponder anything but the ringing roar that fills the Valley.

Young Tigers, it is an honor to go to war with you.

Let's crush the Bees together.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it used to be routine for the ref to stop the game

Oct 3, 2012, 8:30 AM

due to noise in Death Valley. Opposing QBs frantically waving their arms and clasping their hands to their ears surrounded by (literally) deafening crowd. The noise was so loud that it threw your senses out of balance, and made you feel like you couldn't even breathe. I remember games when the PA announcer had to make a plea for quiet or a penalty on the Clemson defense would be thrown.

Sadly, that probably hasn't happened in 20+ years. The Miami game a few years back was the only one close that feeling.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They would still be stopping play in DV if not for the

Oct 3, 2012, 9:00 AM

advent of hand signals. The QB has only to communicate with the center when calling the blocking scheme. The center then signals to the rest of the OL. Noise can be intimidating, but it's ^not nearly as disruptive as long ago.

Message was edited by: David78®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Generationally speaking, I'm right there with you, Rev . . .

Oct 3, 2012, 8:43 AM

. . . but I'm not sure that I like the term 'silverback' (even if I act like an ape at times)!

And as for being loud, I'll have you know that I represented the Class of '75 quite well in Atlanta this year against those Tigers from the Plains. Actually and factually, I did not recover my voice fully until the following Wednesday!

I try to lead by example and give it all up for my Tigers! (My sons and grandsons follow along quite nicely, too!)

Go, Tigers! Beat Tech!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those who act fools for the greater good aren't fools at all

Oct 3, 2012, 9:13 AM

Any game that I leave with my voice intact is an opportunity failed.

I'm too old to change now.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen, brother!***

Oct 3, 2012, 9:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was also a ton of fun putting Littlejohn on the map

Oct 4, 2012, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Those who act fools for the greater good aren't fools at all ]

of tough places to play....we may not have had the best ACC basketball team in those years, but they didn't lack for ear-splitting, enthusiastic support......and the Ford years were as good as it gets.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll bet you woo hoo, don't you?***

Oct 3, 2012, 8:47 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I KNOW you're joking, PGT...

Oct 3, 2012, 9:11 AM

WALL OF SOUND!!!!

Oct 3, 2012, 10:29 AM

I Love it!!

It's only Wednesday but I'm ready to help our D now.

Those young D-linemen of ours have never been on the field in a big game situation with a wall of sound at their backs. Lets give it to them on Saturday.

Do your part-

1) Wear Orange
2) Yell on Defense

+1 WALL OF SOUND!!!!

Oct 4, 2012, 4:13 PM

I start to loose my voice by the end of the 1st Quarter.

It just erks me when fans around me don't make noise when the team needs us to be the 12th Player.

CUvsFSU2011win

-- Too many daughters and not enough bullets. --

Re: Young turks and Silverbacks: we have a mission

Oct 4, 2012, 4:31 PM

http://books.google.com/books?id=AKRArJDvWIIC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=clemson+crowd+noise+penalty&source=bl&ots=ZjbkQOhQ3T&sig=CIOKzZUiPN5Eyax5an5yPdbyFiM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vfFtUO_gJ8HC0QGSmIG4Dw&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=clemson%20crowd%20noise%20penalty&f=false

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

I've never understood Clemson fans' affection for

Oct 4, 2012, 5:01 PM

Larry Munson.....I personally detested him.

pages 36 and 37 of the Larry Williams' book you linked really take me back

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It may sound impossible to believe but this is true...

Oct 4, 2012, 4:59 PM

To really help ramp the noise level up even more at the opponent's line of scrimmage, cupping the hands and aiming at the QB's earhole makes a difference, especially coming from 80,000 raving, screaming maniacs.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic