Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know imitation is flattery, but Chad Morris seems to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

I know imitation is flattery, but Chad Morris seems to

Dec 8, 2017, 10:12 PM

Me to be taking too much credit for Clemson success. After all, he left before we got into playoffs.

His team speech at Arkansas kinda got on my nerves. He even used the phrase, best is the standard. Get your own lines Chad. Bring your own guts coach

Message was edited by: tigertrain®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know imitation is flattery, but Chad Morris seems to

Dec 8, 2017, 10:15 PM

True we went AFTER. But we were and still are using the system he brought and installed. He is a large part of our success and to think otherwise just doesn't make sense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2017, 11:41 PM

Wrong this O is not like chads at all really no jet sweeps we run more

Chad wanted to be a power run team that ran hurry up. Perhaps

Dec 9, 2017, 12:49 AM

we ran the jetsweeps bc we didn't have thw same skill we now have at OL to run up the gut.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 8, 2017, 11:59 PM [ in reply to Re: I know imitation is flattery, but Chad Morris seems to ]

Our offensive system has been revised since Chad was at Clemson, if you haven't noticed, the game has been slowed compared to the way Chad run our offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The portions of his scheme which are still being...

Dec 9, 2017, 3:05 AM [ in reply to Re: I know imitation is flattery, but Chad Morris seems to ]

used @ Clemson are standard everywhere else in college football. He nothing off his schematic is unique to him nor did it originate with him. Although he called a ton of good plays suitable for the talent we had I do not believe Dabo's intent was to use Chad's style on a permanent basis.

His greatest contribution at Clemson was as a place holder until his replacements could be trained well in the scheme Dabo wanted to run. I think most people who can't see that as truth probably remain influenced by the concept that Dabo isn't an 'X's and O's, type person only a manager.

While being the top program manager in the country as evidenced by his body of work and the many components of our program Dabo has resume confounds the foolishness which exist in the mind of a man who thinks Dabo doesn't understand the details of the game. Basically, it's like accusing an engineer of not understanding the mechanical components of the automobile he just designed and marketed so well it upset the entire automobile industry.

Chad, a large part of our success? As we proceed to build the perfect team in Dabo's opinion the memory of Chads contribution will diminish and fade into the past. Someday will will only mention Chad's name if he dominates the SEC or wins a National Championship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The portions of his scheme which are still being...

Dec 9, 2017, 8:09 AM

Well said. anyone who thinks Dabo doesn't know anything about football and "Xs and Os" doesn't know anything about football themselves. Like Coots...

Dec 8, 2017, 10:16 PM

He's Chabo, cut him some slack. He speaks from the heart!

Totally agree. He was looking for the next job

Dec 8, 2017, 10:18 PM

as soon as he got to Clemson. Now he is copying Dabo verbatim and stealing his catch phrases. I really don't like the guy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and he also pretended to buy into being an SMU guy***

Dec 8, 2017, 10:21 PM

He is not Dabo. And I think Tony and Jeff have tweeked our

Dec 8, 2017, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Totally agree. He was looking for the next job ]

Offense a great deal. And correct me if I am wrong, but Chad did not recruit Christian Wilkins and that young man is gold for this team. Surely going to miss him, as much as any player I can remember going back to CJ. I wished he would stay another year, but I want him to make his money as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He is not Dabo. And I think Tony and Jeff have tweeked our

Dec 8, 2017, 10:33 PM

I think you're confused...if you are talking about CJ Spiller, he stayed all 4 years at Clemson

I don't think he's the one confused...

Dec 8, 2017, 11:16 PM

;)

Chad cost us at least two games in the five games losing

Dec 8, 2017, 10:34 PM [ in reply to He is not Dabo. And I think Tony and Jeff have tweeked our ]

streak to the coots by giving up on what was working and getting too cute. You can tweet that!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmm...maybe we shouldn't diss on the man who brought us DW4***

Dec 8, 2017, 10:25 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Message removed by Author

Dec 8, 2017, 10:39 PM

Re: At the end of the day DW came here because of Dabo.

Dec 8, 2017, 11:11 PM

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. I'm sure Watson loved Dabo, and I'm sure he still does, but Watson never made it a secret of how close he was to Morris. Morris recruited him for 3 years, and Watson to this day says that he talks to Morris all the time, and thinks of Morris as a father figure. As for you mentioning Morris trying to get Watson to go to SMU, we both know you have zero evidence to back that up.

I think Morris is a very good coach, and I appreciate what he did for Clemson.

Dec 8, 2017, 10:40 PM

But I always felt that he came across as fake. I’ve never met the guy, and I realize that he might be an incredibly selfless person, and that I am completely wrong about him. I hope I am. But based on what I have observed, everything he does is calculated with personal goals in mind.

Before anyone responds and says that he would’ve been dumb not to take the jobs he has - I agree 100%. I don’t blame him one bit for wanting to reach the top of his profession. I just don’t feel that he is always genuine in what he says and does in order to get that next promotion.

I think he will do well at Arkansas. And I bet good money that he will bolt the minute he gets offered a better job.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I think Morris is a very good coach, and I appreciate what he did for Clemson.

Dec 9, 2017, 12:08 AM

I tried to TU both of your comments in your post bc I feel both comments are a 100% true about the Chad!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think Morris is a very good coach, and I appreciate what he did for Clemson.

Dec 9, 2017, 5:48 AM [ in reply to I think Morris is a very good coach, and I appreciate what he did for Clemson. ]

Go Hogs. Pop the clutch and put the hammer down. Love the man and what he brought to Clemson. He will always be part of the family. I hope he rules the West.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2017, 10:51 PM

He's a GD used car salesman. I appreciate what he he did from Clemson, but was over him when he left.

For***

Dec 8, 2017, 10:52 PM

Dec 9, 2017, 12:11 AM [ in reply to Re: I know imitation is flattery, but Chad Morris seems to ]

Chad is very good at saying what people wants to hear but, one day people will get tire of listening!!!

Dec 8, 2017, 10:55 PM

I thought Chad was overrated when he was here. I still think he is.

Dec 8, 2017, 10:57 PM

Chad deserves a great deal of credit for our current success but Dabo deserves even more credit for Chad's success. Chad was a nobody when Dabo picked him up off the streets. He won those games a Clemson with DABO's players.

I didn't listen to Chads speech but he can say whatever he wants, he never coached a down in the playoffs.

And I'm no playcalling expert but the only thing that is really "Chad" about our offense is the pace. 90% of what he did with Boyd was read option. Read option is a portion of everyone's offense to varying degrees. Now it's probably 30% of our offense. Under Watson it was maybe 35%. Our playbook has evolved a lot since Chad left. It's way more balanced. He would have died if he had to run the ball as much as we did this year.

Dec 8, 2017, 11:40 PM

I give Chad credit for helping get us where we are. But I often felt he was too committed to the pace than what was needed to win. Sometimes you need to burn the clock, and he failed to do that. He was also much to quick to give up on the run if it didn't work the first few times.

I thing Scott and Elliot are much better at balance and taking what the other team is giving up. I like that they have a scripted set of plays that they use to set things up for later in the game. If they are guilty of anything, it is easing off the gas too early and letting teams hang close too long, making it so a turnover or big play can get them back in the game.

Dec 8, 2017, 11:45 PM [ in reply to Re: I know imitation is flattery, but Chad Morris seems to ]

Rushing attempts:

2017: 545(13 games)
2016: 591(15 games)

Under Morris
2011: 530(14 games)
2012: 588(13 games)
2013: 544(13 games)

So why exactly would he have died for running it as much as we did this year?

Not sure why the venom towards Chad

Dec 8, 2017, 10:58 PM

We're upset he's modeling what he would like to do after us? Mad because he had the ambition to be a head coach? Chad was integral to moving us forward as a program, and we were integral in helping him achieve his goal of becoming a head coach. What exactly is there to be upset about? That's the way it's supposed to work

Par for the course. "Yer either fer me, or agin me".

Dec 9, 2017, 12:22 AM

Some feel it's a badge of honor to to bash any and all non-clemson teams, players, fans, or coaches, with extra credit given for showing disdain or indifference toward former Clemson players or coaches who, no matter how legitimate or understandable the reasons, left Clemson to coach or play for another school.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

As far as I'm concerned, you are spot on. +1***

Dec 9, 2017, 5:24 AM [ in reply to Not sure why the venom towards Chad ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His team speech. Just thought he made it sound as if

Dec 9, 2017, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Not sure why the venom towards Chad ]

He was responsible for Clemson’s success. He helped, no doubt. But Dabo instilled the culture, work ethic etc. Then Chad uses Dabo’s phrase “Best is the standard”. Maybe Dabo did not invent that, but I never heard it before. If he would have said one time that Dabo gave him the recipe, or acknowledged him in some fashion, it would not bother me as bad. I.e, coach Dabo said “best is the standard, and that is what we will do here at Arkansas. He just seems a little full of himself, but people said the same thing about Dabo

So his initial speech to a team where

Dec 9, 2017, 8:54 AM

he's making an important impression to his new team and he brags a little turns us against him. I'm pretty sure everyone by now knows who the visionary is for Clemson football by now, but let me pose this. Who's scheme was it that transformed our offense? Who was it that schooled Scott and Elliott, even Dabo in it? I'd say offensively Chad was responsible for the success we've seen for seven years now, at least the change in philosophy. Dabo had the vision but Chad implemented it. As far as the slogan, who cares? It's not like Dabo trademarked it

Re: So his initial speech to a team where

Dec 9, 2017, 9:15 AM

Not only is chad responsible for teaching tony and Jeff and dabo our offense, he’s also responsible for getting the players that wanted to play in a fun, up tempo offense. If Dabo kept Napier, we do not get DW4 and a ton of other offensive players that were key to putting us at the top of the college football world.

The people in this thread trying to discount what chad Morris meant to this program can’t see the forest from the trees. Who cares if he used the phrase best is the standard. Do y’all really think dabo was the first person to ever say that? Good lord.

You must have slept through the Billy Napier and Mad

Dec 8, 2017, 11:00 PM

Scientist years. Chad was a bridge from 6-8 win teams to 10 win teams and now 11/12 win teams. He didn't take us to the top, but we weren't going to get there without someone like him. We had NO identity on offense at all. He helped establish that. I'm grateful for what he did for us and I'm happy that he got a good job.

^^^^This.***

Dec 8, 2017, 11:34 PM

Thank you.***

Dec 8, 2017, 11:57 PM [ in reply to You must have slept through the Billy Napier and Mad ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2017, 11:14 PM

"Best is the standard" isn't exactly a unique saying. Even if he is 100% getting that from Dabo, then so what? Do you think for one second that Dabo cares? If anything I'd imagine Dabo is proud to see one of his former assistants taking to heart something they learned from him.

Good grief. When Chad was here everybody loved him. He

Dec 8, 2017, 11:56 PM

did bring a lot of innovation to the offense. We cheered for him when he got the SMU gig. Why all of this sudden trashing the guy????

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why hate on Chad? Give the dude his due, he helped get us

Dec 8, 2017, 11:57 PM

where are now.

Dec 9, 2017, 12:24 AM

Re: we had a huge upgrade after he left

Dec 9, 2017, 12:32 AM

I love Elliott and Scott, and who knows how things would have played out with Morris these past few years instead of them, but a full year with a healthy Watson would have made many things like different.

Watch the video of Chad's speech

Dec 9, 2017, 12:26 AM

I appreciate all he did for Clemson. He gets a lot of credit for installing the HUNH offense. However, a couple of things he said slightly rubbed me the wrong way.

Decide for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIFASCFVXd0

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Bottom line is Chad is no DaBO..

Dec 9, 2017, 12:49 AM

and DaBO is no Chad!

Let's let it HANG rat there! Nuff said.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watch the video of Chad's speech

Dec 9, 2017, 4:06 AM [ in reply to Watch the video of Chad's speech ]

Because of your comments I listen to a presser that I really didn't care to watch, and I feel stronger about not wanting to hear it than I did before. He hasn't changed IMO, he is still the same fast double talking coach as he was at Clemson using the very same words going into Arky as he did coming into Clemson. I'm not to say that Chad was a bad coach, I'm that that my personal opinion is that I really don't care for folks that talk so fast that they lose me if I'm not recording them so I can run it back at a slower speed to hear the in between the lines message. I was glad when he left, and at age 65, hopefully I never see him double talking on the Clemson side side lines ever again as a Clemson coach. If he is across the field I will be OK with that as long as he isn't allowed a closed door meeting with any of our players or coaches bc I don't trust fast talkers like Chad Morris. If people will watch that presser, he avoided answering the questions straight forward with double talk smiling the entire time. He sometimes talks so fast that he actually loses he on train of thought and appears a little dazed trying to remember just what he was saying. He is at Arky now, so I don't have to believe a word that comes from his mouth, and I wish him good luck until he comes to play Clemson. One more thing I will say, and that is when he left Clemson, I got the feeling that Dabo was just fine with him going bc he didn't hesitate to put Tony and Jeff in charge of our offense, and I personally believe that it got better with those two running "our Dabo" offense!!!

Dec 9, 2017, 9:19 AM

Hahaha, good lord man. Smh.

Team meeting one I didn’t like Link

Dec 9, 2017, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Watch the video of Chad's speech ]

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/chad-morris-first-team-meeting/

“7 years ago Clemson looked like Arkansas does tod

Dec 9, 2017, 8:39 AM

except Dabo won the Atlantic Division in 2009, before Chad got to Clemson. Arkansas hasn’t won a division since the last Clemson coach won them one. I don’t know, perhaps I am wrong.

That was 9 years ago

Dec 9, 2017, 9:01 AM

7 years ago many were ready to fire Dabo. We hadn't won the ACC in twenty years or appeared in a major bowl in 30. Not exactly alike, but not that far off

Dec 9, 2017, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Watch the video of Chad's speech ]

OK...I watched the entire press conference, and saw absolutely nothing that bothers me as a Clemson fan. To deny that Chad Morris had an impact at Clemson is just wrong. Now he is not Dabo Swinney, but he is still likely to be a very good coach for them, and I wish him luck. Dabo would not have hired him if he did not trust his ability.

Dec 9, 2017, 1:40 AM

Jeez, what an unappreciative bunch of a-holes in this thread. Whether you like it or not, Chad was the one who kick-started Clemson's revival and eventual climb to the top. Our offense has continued to be good even without him at Clemson, but they still operate on all the same principals and he was a great mentor to Scott & Elliot.

"He's taking too much credit for x,y,z"...he was responsible or heavily involved in all of the things he claimed. On top of that, he's trying to inspire his new players and give them a reason to believe in him. Of course he's going to try to sell his accomplishments.

"He's copying Dabo with how he talks/acts"...uhhhh, ya think? He and Dabo are friends. They coached together and learned from one another. Of course he's going to have a lot of similarities. Let me ask this: are you guys upset that we still run Chad's offense? It's not Dabo's or ScElliot's, after all. Of course you're not, because that's what Chad shared with our program, and we benefited, learned and evolved it. Chad is doing the same exact thing on his end and good on him for doing so. Wouldn't you be more offended if he went elsewhere and had ZERO influence from Dabo?

I also don't understand why people are saying he's "fake" or "a used car salesman". How so? Because he left Clemson? Chad never made it a secret that his goal was to become a head coach. Dabo knew this, and even did his best to promote Chad to other programs! We all know Dabo is a fantastic coach, but there's some major revisionist history going on here, with people crediting Dabo for things Chad did (like recruiting Deshaun). Without Chad, who the heck knows where we would be right now...the guy did amazing things for Clemson, brought in the program's best player of all time, and was such a good, selfless coach that his successors were able to fully understand his offensive principals and run with them!

You guys sound like a bunch of ungrateful #####.

And like I replied to Striperfan's post, you are spot on.

Dec 9, 2017, 5:31 AM

I'm afraid some good folks are too quick to post before rethinking their ideas.

We are where we are today because of his contributions among others. Period.

Re: And like I replied to Striperfan's post, you are spot on.

Dec 9, 2017, 1:04 PM

Yup. I agree with the sentiment that Chad isn't 100% responsible for Clemson's success, but people are downplaying it to a ridiculous level in this thread. I think Dabo would probably be the first to object to the way people are talking here. Oh well. At least we know the truth! haha

Dec 9, 2017, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: I know imitation is flattery, but Chad Morris seems to ]

Dec 9, 2017, 1:07 PM

Dec 9, 2017, 3:16 AM

Quoting a great man in our history is and all ways will be entertaining. It's holding to and living by the concepts which made men great that differentiate them from those who die in obscurity. You can quote me on that.

I'll TU you for the comment on him wearing out a keyboard writing cover letters for his freshly updated resume but I excuse The Chad to a degree because I understand loving one geographical part of the world and longing for home.

With the progress we've made since he left I wish he's gotten the first job he applied for.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2017, 6:33 AM

Chad is the guy who convinces DW4 to commit to Clemson , and to stick with it through 2 years committed .
To say he didn't have much to do with the success we had after his departure is simply incorrect , beyond shortsighted.

DB23

LOS improvement and Defense is why we are where we are.***

Dec 9, 2017, 7:59 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOS improvement and Defense is why we are where we are.***

Dec 9, 2017, 1:30 PM

They are huge factors...but again, how were we able to build the LOS and defense? Recruiting, right? Chad arrived right after a 6-7 season, at a time when things were really not looking good for the program. His fun, explosive system filled with big plays allowed guys like Nuk, Sammy, and Tajh to be thrust in the national spotlight, casting a positive light on Clemson and keeping us at the front of people's minds for the next couple of years.

Yes, defense & LOS win championships, but an explosive offense gets you on SportsCenter and interest from recruits of all types. Coach Venables has done a magnificent job, we all know that. However the coaches got a nice boost on the recruiting trail by being able to go into living rooms across the country and instantly be recognized, and a lot of that was because of Chad's offense. There's no way a guy like Christian Wilkins comes to Clemson without the name recognition that comes with it. Heck, a decade ago, most people in Massachusetts didn't even know what Clemson was...seriously!

Chad left, and Clemson has been fine...heck maybe even better in some respects. However we should always respect and be thankful for what he did for the program.

Dec 9, 2017, 8:11 AM

He did get the greatest player in our history to come to Clemson. He did jump start our O. Yes it is different now but he got the ball rolling on O. Would we have gotten to this point without the Chad? Maybe but we would have had to do it without DW. Now we are proving we can but I sure am glad DW lead us to glory and Chad had a lot to do with him coming to Clemson.

the Chad Morris is a good guy and a great coach

Dec 9, 2017, 8:51 AM

Thanks for Deshaun man.

Dec 9, 2017, 9:05 AM

I don't remember this phrase before Morris. Maybe he started it.

Chad Morris is a very good man and a great coach

Dec 9, 2017, 4:36 PM

Some won't forgive him for leaving Clemson to be a Head Coach.

He helped our program and I'll always support him.

Dec 9, 2017, 4:43 PM

I'd have been pissed if I was a player.

I had a basketball coach in high school and all she talked about was this low level nba player he had coached 15 years ago in high school.

Clemson Rugby is back on top.
Dailypaul.com

Dec 9, 2017, 4:44 PM

I'd have been pissed if I was a player.

I had a basketball coach in high school and all he talked about was this low level nba player he had coached 15 years ago in high school. So annoying.

Clemson Rugby is back on top.
Dailypaul.com

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic