Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You might blame it on me being old but it's a sad, sad
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,150

You might blame it on me being old but it's a sad, sad

Jan 2, 2019, 1:50 PM

world that we have developed into. At least when compared to the days when players considered themselves part of a TEAM and would give 100% (not the oft-spoken and impossible 110%) to lift their team to the highest point possible. There were times when reaching a bowl game was a source of pride and senior players were proud to participate to bring another victory to their school. So many players today skip the bowl game for fear of injury instead of being like Christian Wilkins and our other returners who could have been drafted last year who came back for 15 games (not 1 game but 15) so they could be with their TEAM for another season. And worst of all we have to hear about losses are because one team did not "want to be there" or "the other team wanted it more". Give me a break Kirby Smart and all the media folks who use this as an excuse. The real reason behind this attitude is that their feelings were hurt because they were left out of the playoff. If you are part of a TEAM - stick it out with them and give your best effort to the end. And that includes bowl games at any level of prestige.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You might blame it on me being old but it's a sad, sad

Jan 2, 2019, 1:57 PM

I personally don't think a lot has changed. The difference today is some players are sitting out compared to years ago where they'd play, but be mentally checked out and vastly underperform compared to their usual play.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 2:56 PM

I think he's talking about before 2003 The bowls used to mean something

Jan 2, 2019, 2:00 PM

Clover--There is no blame in common sense. This old world would be a much better place if common sense was injected into every facet of our lives.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 2:05 PM

The coaches are paid millions, bolt for a better job at the drop of a hat, and are the primary beneficiaries of the player's hard work.

The players are not paid anything close to what they are worth and give up so much control over their lives. This includes what they eat, their ability to have a job while in school, and all the various other issues involving NCAA compliance.

If they want to sit out a meaningless bowl game so that it helps their chances of having a solid NFL career (which is far from a given and hard as hell to accomplish in the first place), an old man b*tching about it online should mean exactly zero.

Jan 2, 2019, 2:57 PM

why not sit out the whole season ?? Why practice ??? This is all BS

It's only a matter of time before someone does***

Jan 2, 2019, 3:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do they need a job? They are given

Jan 2, 2019, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Re: You might blame it on me being old but it's a sad, sad ]

money now as part of the "full cost of attendance". At Clemson that number is nearly $2,000. That is more than most part time jobs would pay them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 2:10 PM

Also, this may not come out the right way, but can we stop pretending that our guys coming back this season compares to sitting out bowl games? I love all those guys, they all seem like great kids, and they all seem to care about each other so I'm not debating any of that. I'm sure them coming back had a lot to do with wanting to continue playing together and winning another title. However, it's not like that was 100% their reason, as based on draft projections they have all improved their draft stock by returning.

I'm not saying that to take away from the decision to return, but statements above make it seem as if they were all projected to be top 10 picks last year and 100% of the decision to come back was for the team alone. More than anything though, we have no idea how any of our guys would handle a bowl game if we didn't make the CFP. On top of that, we have no idea how any of them would handle a bowl game if they had been playing through an injury during the season and were concerned with reinjury or wanting to make sure they were 100% for the draft.

I'm not saying any of this to be difficult or to take away from any of our players because I do think they all have awesome character, and love playing on this team together. I'm just uncomfortable with looking down on the character of players on other teams in comparison with ours when we've been in the CFP for every single season since the sitting out bowl games thing started. It's not like Alabama has had players sitting out bowl games either...

Jan 2, 2019, 2:54 PM

I have no problems with a player who has had recent injuries sitting out and am not questioning character as people with good character make poor decisions. And just how many of the players declining to play in bowls this year will even be 1st round picks - not even talking top 10 draft pick for Clemson players last year - just pointing out that if a player risks injury for 15 games, why be so fearful of playing just one more game - you will have 15 times the chance of an injury hurting your draft status.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen!***

Jan 2, 2019, 2:43 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Blame mercenary coaches and the almighty $ in general

Jan 2, 2019, 2:55 PM

Coaches were "sitting out" bowl games long before the players.

The risk/reward for potential NFL players is also much greater now than it was for past generations. It wasn't that long ago that many pro athletes needed 2nd jobs in the offseason just to pay the bills. In 2019, being drafted in the first round in any of the major leagues is life-changing money, for athletes and their families.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Selfish World we live in

Jan 2, 2019, 2:59 PM

Nm

Which section will you be sitting in @ Levi's Stadium?***

Jan 2, 2019, 3:01 PM

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,150
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic