Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Running TL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Running TL

Nov 14, 2018, 9:45 AM

Even though it is a part of the offense I don't think it's real smart to run him. There is no reason to run him. His arm can beat ANYONE period. His legs not so much. So why did we run him at BC? Any thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Running TL

Nov 14, 2018, 9:53 AM

His choice/decision on the RPO's.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2018, 3:15 PM

He never ran the ball on any rpo’s.

Now he kept the ball on read option plays a lot, as the read dictated.

Nov 14, 2018, 3:19 PM

Yep, and that is what this offense will need to advance in our remaining games! You can't just tee off on some of the defenses we are likely to face down the road. You have to keep them off balanced and guessing! If the QB always gives it then they simply just crash down on the RB. If he is a statue back there you zone blitz or go man under and send a blitz.
Just like a defense has to mix it's coverages so does an offense have to mix up how they attack a defense. If the QB run game has to be accounted for that's another "guess" they have to make which makes them play slower. Slower defense reaction should mean greater yield for offenses!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2018, 9:54 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Nov 14, 2018, 9:59 AM

I know but the hits...

You mean like the hits to the turf before he gets past the

Nov 14, 2018, 10:02 AM

first down marker?

Not worried about that. The coaches will use game film to get him past that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2018, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Running TL ]

Why should he play football at all? If you play scared to get hurt you will not be effective. That’s the last thing on his mind when he is running. He has earned the respect of the team with some of the shots he has taken.

So you're good with him running to get a few yards

Nov 14, 2018, 2:58 PM

on a designed QB run, getting injured, and likely killing our chances of winning the national championship this year?

Because I'm not. Not even a little bit.

It's one thing if he is pressured in the pocket, and runs to escape that pressure. But I don't really see the risk vs. reward being in our favor for him to run the ball on RPO or designed QB runs.

We need to be passing first, while also mixing in runs with a combination of our four excellent RBs. IMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

See your point, but disagree.......

Nov 14, 2018, 10:33 AM

the year we won the national title we began to slowly see DW4's running threat be used more and more toward the end of the season and we reaped the rewards in the playoffs and in the title game.

When Bama loses it's b/c they faced the following:......nothing more..nothing less.

-Pass First QB w/ a downfield passing threat that has the ability to run/escape pressure

They don't lose to statue pocket passers nor do they lose to RUN first/no pass threat QBs

Re: See your point, but disagree.......

Nov 14, 2018, 3:12 PM

pheebo You are 100% correct on when Bama loses!

You have to have a somewhat accurate QB who has the ability to feel and escape pressure while keeping his head downfield. You could not have said it better: statue pp or just running QB's don't beat Bamer!

In short, we have to run TL if want any chance of beating a team built like Bamer! He may get hurt; but so may a WR he is trying to throw it to. You can't play that way. Many a QB have said, "they don't get into the game until after that 1st hit"!

I have full confidence in Chase or DK for that matter! DK can throw it well enough to be a FBS QB believe me. Hasn't shown it yet; but believe me they would give him a shot b/c of his escapability and ability to extend plays! We will be alright!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL is absolutely not DW4 though. Watson was slippery and

Nov 14, 2018, 3:33 PM [ in reply to See your point, but disagree....... ]

rarely took big hits. Lawrence has decent speed, but he doesn't look like a smooth, natural runner. He looks pretty awkward out there running the ball and he's taken several big shots.

I don't mind running him once or twice a game to catch the defense off guard, but i think the read options should be used really sparingly. Any decent defense is going to crash on the RB and force TL to keep the ball. I mean.. if you are the defense would you rather have Etienne carrying the ball or Lawrence? Would you rather get a shot in on a RB or the QB? That's even more true considering we are 4 deep with quality RBs and razor thin at QB.

Re: TL is absolutely not DW4 though. Watson was slippery and

Nov 14, 2018, 4:13 PM

TL is fast for a pocket passer (4.7 40 time, apparently), but he isn’t quick and his body isn’t fleshed out yet. So he’s neither going to juke a defender nor will he break tackles. But with open field he can outrun a lot of defenders. I suspect he will gain 20 pounds by year 3 and be able to break some tackles.

Regardless, he’s a tough kid and not likely to get hurt. He launched himself head first into a defender’s mid-riff against Syracuse and hurt his neck. They thought it was a concussion so didn’t let him back in, but he could have played the second half. He’s not going to do that again.

I know exactly why he ran against BC.

Nov 14, 2018, 3:43 PM

Our RBs were jerking the ball out of his hands, in essence, making the read option instead of allowing Trevor to do it. That is a fundamental flaw which will turn the ball over quicker than throwing into double coverage.

In order for the read option to work and turn the RBs loose to do their jobs the QB must, absolutely must keep the ball when the defense keys in on the running back.

Trevor's job is to make the decision which sometimes requires him to run. If you will think back you'll remember this. He always has plenty of grass when he keeps the ball. He's the best read option QB we've had since Rodney Williams, imo.

Nobody is calling for a QB draw or something which unwarrantedly exposes him to harm, he's just doing his job running our offense. We had to work the kinks out of that play before we get to post season.

We lived through DW's recklessness and Trevor is far from being reckless with his body.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic