Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did y'all hear that CDC Director testify yesterday?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Did y'all hear that CDC Director testify yesterday?

Sep 17, 2020, 12:43 PM

Go on and on about masks being important. Ok. cool.
then

"I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against COVID than when I take a COVID vaccine. Because the immunogenicity may be 70%, and if I don't get an immune response, the vaccine's not going to protect me. This face mask will."

First of all, we were told masks dont work for covid.
Then it was, masks don't protect YOU, but the other people if you have it.
NOW, masks are the most important thing to protect YOU.
AND its more effective than a vaccine.

We all know the CDC has been total idiots throughout this covid thing.
But something else is going on here...

PS - i wear a mask everytime I'm out in public so don't come back on me about being anti-mask. Not what I'm saying here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You lost me at “Director”

Sep 17, 2020, 12:46 PM

These stuffed suits don’t know anything

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he should be fired just for that statement alone

Sep 17, 2020, 12:47 PM

for medical malpractice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems to me that most places with high rates of mask

Sep 17, 2020, 1:07 PM

use are seeing significant reductions in transmission. I don't know if that means it's more effective than a vaccine or not, but I suspect that it may be depending on the vaccine's response rate. Masks would probably be more effective at preventing the flu than the stupid flu vaccine.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed. I think he was referring to widespread mask use

Sep 17, 2020, 1:31 PM

keeping him safer, not him wearing his mask while others around him follow Trump's lead and don't wear them- that prolly helps a little, mostly protects others.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only person you can trust is Trump, who has lied over

Sep 17, 2020, 1:02 PM

20,000 times in the less than 4 years.

The gaslighting continues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

his comments have nothing to do with Trump, but ok***

Sep 17, 2020, 1:19 PM

Just pointing out what a hypocrite you are.***

Sep 17, 2020, 2:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Masks work some and that’s it

Sep 17, 2020, 1:05 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why?

Sep 17, 2020, 1:09 PM

we have no idea what the effectiveness of the vaccine will even be at this point.

And you want to fire the doctor for suggesting that a vaccine might not be the all out cure we hope but you're perfectly fine with Trump lying and downplaying this thing constantly?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why?

Sep 17, 2020, 2:50 PM

That's disingenuous...

Sep 17, 2020, 3:00 PM

Cloth masks do offer some protection against spreading the virus, just not as much as other types of masks. They do more than "Jack"

And given his specific reference to 70% not being effective enough to ease social distancing requirements, I suspect he was referring to this study:

https://theconversation.com/how-effective-does-a-covid-19-coronavirus-vaccine-need-to-be-to-stop-the-pandemic-a-new-study-has-answers-142468

"In a study published July 15 in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, my colleagues and I used a computer simulation of every person in the country to show how effective a vaccine would have to be and how many people would have to get vaccinated to end the pandemic. We found that a coronavirus vaccine’s effectiveness may have to be higher than 70% or even 80% before Americans can safely stop relying social distancing. By comparison, the measles vaccine has an efficacy of 95%-98%, and the flu vaccine is 20%-60%.

That doesn’t mean a vaccine that offers less protection would be useless, but it would mean social distancing in some form may still be necessary."

Re: That's disingenuous...

Sep 17, 2020, 3:15 PM

Please share the studies here....

Sep 17, 2020, 4:36 PM

the only study I've seen talking about possibly doing more harm than good is in regards to neck gaiters with some specific fabrics that could work to aerosol droplets. Of course, the results of this same study show cloth masks to be very effective.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please share the studies here....

Sep 17, 2020, 4:57 PM

That's crap...

Sep 17, 2020, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: That's disingenuous... ]

"Cloth masks have been used in healthcare and community settings to protect the wearer from respiratory infections. The use of cloth masks during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic is under debate. The filtration effectiveness of cloth masks is generally lower than that of medical masks and respirators; however, cloth masks may provide some protection if well designed and used correctly. Multilayer cloth masks, designed to fit around the face and made of water-resistant fabric with a high number of threads and finer weave, may provide reasonable protection. Until a cloth mask design is proven to be equally effective as a medical or N95 mask, wearing cloth masks should not be mandated for healthcare workers. In community settings, however, cloth masks may be used to prevent community spread of infections by sick or asymptomatically infected persons, and the public should be educated about their correct use."

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-0948_article

So you’re quoting one study

Sep 17, 2020, 5:19 PM

I would have fired him over the six weeks of botched test.

Sep 17, 2020, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Masks work some and that’s it ]

We gave the chinese plague a six week head start due to Redfield's incompetence. I was furious with Trump for letting a bureaucrat do this to America.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can say with 100% certainty

Sep 17, 2020, 1:05 PM

when it comes to dealing with objective facts and reality, you will be the last person whose opinion is given any amount of weight on issues involving science and reason. I think you may have been born in the wrong century.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did y'all hear that CDC Director testify yesterday?

Sep 17, 2020, 2:13 PM

X,

I greatly appreciate your skepticism . . .

but if you are going to doubt the experts, then i think that you need to provide a truly better source of information and not just that these guys might be wrong.

huh, they've contradicted themselves with each

Sep 17, 2020, 2:29 PM

statement on masks throughout this whole thing.

That means they have been wrong with each statement b/c all of them can't be true.
I won't even go into how they screwed the pooch with testing in the beginning

How can you have so many problems with the doctors...

Sep 17, 2020, 2:42 PM

and no problem whatsoever with their boss?

he's not a medical professional putting out bad advice

Sep 17, 2020, 2:52 PM

and I do have problems with some statements his says like his bleach stmt. Totally asinine and i said it on here.

But i aint flagellating over every word he speaks either, like some on here do.

Just like y'all don't with Joe. Oh, thats just Joe being Joe. Silly Joe.

Neither is the CDC director...

Sep 17, 2020, 3:03 PM

Masks may actually work better than a vaccine. Y'all are just butthurt that the CDC director would be honest about the possible ineffectiveness of a vaccine when it's become Trump's new pandemic white knight since Chloroquine, bleach and shining lights inside the body didn't work out for him.

Also, a lot of people take what Trump says at face value and almost no one cares what the director of the CDC says.

Re: Neither is the CDC director...

Sep 17, 2020, 3:09 PM

So tell us again how the CDC director was wrong?***

Sep 17, 2020, 3:10 PM

C’mon man you’re a lawyer

Sep 17, 2020, 3:14 PM

I've seen a lot of docs and pharma people

Sep 17, 2020, 5:12 PM

talk about the likely efficacy of the vaccine and NONE of them are talking 90% or higher. Mostly they are talking closer to the range of the flu vaccine. And you yourself are arguing all over this same thread about the fact that no one will take the vaccine anyway no matter how effective it is.

And yet you still want to fire a guy who basically said that masks might be more effective than a vaccine if the vaccine is only a certain percentage effective.

You're just mad that he's disagreeing with Trump.

Re: I've seen a lot of docs and pharma people

Sep 17, 2020, 5:17 PM

To claim Trump was right, everyone else must be wrong.

Sep 17, 2020, 4:24 PM [ in reply to So tell us again how the CDC director was wrong?*** ]

You know, the guy who knows better than the doctors, scientists, generals, everybody.

How else can 200k+ deaths be viewed as a great job?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To claim Trump was right, everyone else must be wrong.

Sep 17, 2020, 4:35 PM

I agree that this board is not worth debating on anymore.

Sep 17, 2020, 5:04 PM

The fact is that the US leads in deaths. When your stats are the worst, you're not doing the best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay let’s do this one more time

Sep 17, 2020, 5:12 PM

That's cases and a partial screenshot with no source.

Sep 17, 2020, 5:47 PM

But I can actually present a source. OK, so we're 11th per capita. We've actually dropped from 4th to 11th. Lots of countries below us. These are not "great job" numbers. So no first round draft pick, but we're lottery pick for sure. Nothing to be proud of.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

The site is worldometers and it’s sorted on

Sep 17, 2020, 6:00 PM

SO you think your death rate is something to be proud of?

Sep 17, 2020, 7:33 PM

That the whole world is amazed and compliments Trump on the job that he has done?

It could be much lower if Trump wasn't always at odds with the experts and had a coherent message that included mask wearing.

Re: SO you think your death rate is something to be proud of?

Sep 17, 2020, 7:45 PM

And he's repeatedly says that he knows more than the

Sep 17, 2020, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Re: To claim Trump was right, everyone else must be wrong. ]

doctors, scientists, generals, etc. The media can't dupe you when it's things that he says directly. Over, and over, and over, and over.

When the original model predicted 1.5-2.2 million dead...

Sep 17, 2020, 4:41 PM [ in reply to To claim Trump was right, everyone else must be wrong. ]

the US then 200K is a certain victory.

I'm not trying to get in the middle of this but I remember 1.5-2.2 deaths in America being what took all the toilet paper, hand sanitizers and disinfectants off the shelves along with all types of mask.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa...

Sep 17, 2020, 5:00 PM

here you just lauded Trump's success in reducing the death rate when not 2 inches away from this post you made a post about how all the scientists should have been fired for incompetence.

Is today the day you release all the hyperbole in your soul.

Sep 17, 2020, 5:32 PM

I said I would have fired Redfield for botching the testing in the early days. The primary function of the Center for Disease Control.

The CDC demanded that Dr Helen Chu stand down her testing in WA state while the CDC's test were faulty. Tell me you don't remember this. Some of us do. I specifically pointed out the failure of the CDC to react to this early and with a proper attitude.

https://mynorthwest.com/1758762/coronavirus-washington-seattle-flu-study/

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/its-just-everywhere-already-how-delays-in-testing-set-back-the-u-s-coronavirus-response-2/

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/coronavirus-testing-delays-caused-red-tape-bureaucracy-scorn-private-companies-ncna1162476

It takes a giant leap to accuse me of even suggesting that our handing of the virus was a success when anyone keeping up with this thread can see that I replied to a specific post. Rather than saying I believe I just posted the starting point which proves one of two possibilities.

Either Trump did a great job or the scientist blew a lot of smoke up our butts. Choose whichever pleases you most.

My most vicious criticism of Trump was that he should have fired Redfield long ago rather than allowing the incompentent bureaucrat's bullchit to fail us.

theory of variolation, it makes perfect sense

Sep 17, 2020, 3:05 PM

Masks actually do limit the transmission of viral load through aerosol droplets. So when you are standing over at the checkout counter, and the dude behind you who is an unwitting carrier exhales air out, his mask is actually preventing a much higher concentration of viral loaded droplets in the aerosol from travelling in your direction. What happens next is that you pick up his low-concetration aerosol, much lower if you are wearing a proper mask, but it would be just enough to cause your own bodies immune response to produce a reaction.

Because the viral load is minimized by the masks, it means that the best case scenario is that you then become an asymptomatic carrier and your immune system is strengthened.

This is variolation. George Washington forced his troops into variolation by having a small incision made in their arms, then taking a little drop of pus from a soldier with smallpox and smearing it in the cut. This caused their body's immune system to develop a resistance to smallpox. Variolation is the crude precursor to actual vaccines that actually was used by indigenous people in Africa in the early 1700s.

The theory is that if you both didn't wear masks, you would be exposed to a much higher viral load, which would lead to more severe symptoms and problems.

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. - Marie Currie

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913

Who was it that thought Redfield should have fired back...

Sep 17, 2020, 3:53 PM

in Feb for botching first weeks of testing for the disease? I would have followed the scientist on this one. I would have gathered everyone involved in this debacle and followed them out the door then locked it behind them.

Funny how Trump says I created this economy, but they screwed up coronavirus .

Sep 17, 2020, 8:46 PM

How many times has trump said I created this great economy. When in fact the fed, American workers, inheriting an economy on the upswing, and so many other factors besides Trump himself caused the economy to do well during his presidency. Yes he deserves some credit, but it’s so much more complicated then I created the economy.

But when coronavirus is bad, and for those of you who don’t think it’s bad compared to the rest of the world when we are the worlds richest most powerful country you are just kidding yourself and showing allegiance to your dear leader. Trump can’t have it both ways. He can’t say I created this great economy when many many others helped him do it, but then say it’s not my fault the coronavirus response has been poor because these other people that report to me screwed up.

The thing I hate most about Trump is his inability to accept responsibility for anything. If things work out great, it’s because of him. If things go bad, it’s someone else’s fault. He doesn’t understand the phrase the buck stops here.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic