Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You know what’s mind numbingly infuriating...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 268

You know what’s mind numbingly infuriating...

Nov 14, 2020, 10:26 PM

No matter how much you tell your significant other that you either need to remember your username and password, write it down, or allow technology to save it for you or else you will be screwed down the road. And she basically just says #### that. I’ll open up a new account, pay to download a new app for the kids, or make the fat man struggle for hours with customer service to figure out how to sign in to some stupid account that he doesn’t even use just to make folks happy again.

It’s super simple. It’s following basic life instructions. Tech isn’t some magical demon that’s trying to steal your soul. And if it is, you’re either in or out... no in between.

Sorry to bring this crap here. Showed my ### and now I’ve got nowhere else to go.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope nobody finds my mead five star notebook in my desk

Nov 14, 2020, 10:29 PM

They'll have my user id's and passwords for everything I've ever signed up for.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude, Dashlane or something like it***

Nov 14, 2020, 10:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At this point in our lives we have 3 options...

Nov 14, 2020, 10:42 PM [ in reply to I hope nobody finds my mead five star notebook in my desk ]

You either use the exact same password for everything in your life, you let technology record it for you (which will eventually get hacked), or you go old school and record it all somewhere.

Unfortunately, my family is caught up in a strange and confusing mixture of all of these options. Often even failing to record or remember anything useful. And then everybody is sad as heck when we can’t sign into Roblox or Minecraft. Me, I’m just trying to decide what’s the tallest building around me to jump off of. I don’t think 11 feet is gonna get the job done. Should’ve bought a taller house.

hard to use the same password for everything

Nov 14, 2020, 11:45 PM

some places require a symbol, some require uppercase letters. Some can't be over 8 digits and some have to be at least 10. My standby is a 15 digit pattern on the number pad with 3 symbols and 3 letters at certain points. The note pad is just to keep up with which ones don't allow a 21 digit password. One website had the audacity to say my password was "good" instead of "strong". Deleted my account with those smug bastages.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel that

Nov 14, 2020, 10:39 PM

I have a rule as an IT guy in my family. Folks are welcome to manage their computers, data, passwords, etc however they want. However, once I'm called into help all that crap is getting organized. Don't want to use lastpass or something like it? Cool, it's no longer a problem I'm gonna bail you out of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What’s worse is when you spend a whole afternoon

Nov 14, 2020, 10:43 PM

Clearing up all your mom’s passwords and logins and writing them all down for her and then a week later “I can’t login to ___”

Me: use the password I wrote down for you.

Mom: oh I changed it, according to AARP it wasn’t long enough

Me: well did you write it down?

Mom: no I have that paper you gave me

Me: that paper is no good if you don’t update it

Mom: oops

TL : DR - I feel your pain

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

As I feel your pain friend.

Nov 14, 2020, 10:45 PM

Didn’t think you were young enough, for me to be married to your mom though.

Dad? . . . . .

Nov 14, 2020, 10:47 PM

We thought you were dead . . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

That the state government is saying

Nov 14, 2020, 10:46 PM

they want to contact trace but when you test positive no one ever calls you or wants to trace your steps. They ask for your phone number at restaurants but that data is never used as no one is ever contacted to contact trace.

It’s all complete ########.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously,

Nov 14, 2020, 11:03 PM

I hate that you and your fam are having to deal with all of that right now. This COVID crap sucks in so many ways. The movies always portrayed a pandemic as this completely unavoidable pathogen that kills off all who don’t avoid it. Unfortunately, it seems like the world was far less prepared and informed than expected. Somehow this crap became political which also became weird. The experts turned out to not be experts.

Maybe the one saving grace could be this... Maybe this is an educational experience for how to handle something far more devastating that we may encounter in the future. But let’s hope that things aren’t worse than we realize. Just imagine if COVID has devastating effects on our ability to consume alcohol and generally just not give a ####? Now that... that’s a pandemic I wouldn’t ever want to face.

(Apologies for the sarcasm regarding this matter for those who’ve actually lost loved ones to this crap. It’s saddest for those who lose family, sad for those who lose business, and extremely frustrating for folks like my boy Manac that have to deal with all of its unexpected side effects. If it’s of any comfort to know my situation, I missed a couple of weeks pay for what I’m fairly certain wasn’t actually positive test.)

Regardless of the extent we’ve been effected, we can all agree, everything about COVID 19 sucks balls!

Love you tigermanac. Get well and give them hell!

Lol. Sounds like my mom.

Nov 15, 2020, 3:54 AM

Problem is mom's got 4 Google accounts, 3 Facebook accounts, and 10 passwords saved for her checking account. She forgets a password then just creates a new account or password without deleting the old one. And the worst part is if I got on her PC I would get locked out of her accounts before choosing the right password. Credit card company gives you 4 shots then locks your account. She probably has a half dozen or more saved passwords. This is what finally drove me to get a POA for her.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 268
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic