Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scott Rhymer: What’s New Is Old
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,800

Oct 20, 2006, 6:59 PM

Clemson and Tech, both of whom have won National Championships in the past 25 years, were almost forgotten with the expanded ACC. Times have certainly changed. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree on the Charlotte football analysis

Oct 20, 2006, 9:18 PM

Charlotte bought the game expecting CLEMSON fans to fill the seats. If Clemson fans living with 1-2 hours of Charlotte cannot attend the game against a poor opponent due to family, work, etc., why would a non-fan bother to attend the game? Heck, there were even Charlotte viewing parties in local bars to watch the game for Clemson fans.

I expected at least 40k fans to attend the game since it is closer to more fans living in SC/NC. If the game were in Clemson, we would have had 60k.

While I'm glad Clemson had a strong attendance and more fans had a chance to see the game compared to Philly, I also think your blame is misguided by pointing the finger at Charlotte. I can only blame Charlotte for scheduling (a Saturday game would have much stronger viewing).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You just made Scott's point

Oct 21, 2006, 9:55 PM

it was a THURSDAY game and we showed up in NUMBERS! Don't you get it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Scott Rhymer: What’s New Is Old

Oct 20, 2006, 9:49 PM

How the Game Came to Be...

Staging a major college football bowl game in Charlotte was not possible prior to 1996, as a large, first-class facility was not available. That changed with the opening of the state-of-the-art Bank of America Stadium, home to the NFL Carolina Panthers. Built by the Richardson family, the stadium provided the city with a venue to host top-tier sporting events.

With a facility in place, Raycom Sports began exploring options for collegiate events to be held in Charlotte. The number of universities from the Atlantic Coast Conference within a short driving distance to Charlotte made ACC schools the most logical participants.

Raycom had brought Division-1A college football to Charlotte with the Carolinas’ Clash in 1996 and 2004, featuring NC State and East Carolina, and a two-year series between North Carolina and NC State in 1998 and 1999. The company also provided sales and marketing experience for a number of different bowl games and founded the Sunshine Football Classic (Blockbuster Bowl, Carquest Bowl, Micronpc.com Bowl) in Ft. Lauderdale for eleven years.

Ken Haines, executive vice president & COO of Raycom Sports, envisioned a major college bowl game in Charlotte. He met with business and community leaders in Charlotte, garnering local support for a NCAA bowl bid. Mayor Pat McCrory and other community leaders quickly offered assistance, and the Richardson family made their facility available.

The first step was receiving NCAA certification for a postseason bowl game. The NCAA had a moratorium on new bowl games, capping the number of games at 26. But on June 21, 2001, Haines received word that one of the existing games might not return in 2002, creating a possible opening for Charlotte. Haines called a Raycom staff meeting and within two days a formal application package was delivered to the NCAA. The ACC and Big East Conference agreed to supply participating teams if the certification was approved.

The bowl effort got off to an auspicious start as Haines was scheduled to make the formal Charlotte presentation to the committee in Philadelphia on the morning of September 11, 2001. After landing that morning, he watched on television as the day's tragic events unfolded and at 10:45 a.m. informed an unsuspecting group of college athletic directors and NCAA staff members of the attacks on America. After a few brief comments, the meeting was cancelled and it wasn't until eight months later, on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 at the NCAA meetings in San Antonio, that he was able to give a full presentation to the Certification Committee.

On Friday, May 3, 2002, the NCAA Bowl Certification Committee formally granted approval to Raycom Sports for a new bowl game to be played in Charlotte. Raycom had cleared the first hurdle but another important piece of the puzzle still was needed.

On Tuesday, May 7, 2002, Continental Tire was announced as the title sponsor of the bowl, to be played every December. The game was officially ready to kick off.

The inaugural Continental Tire Bowl was the largest non-BCS crowd of the bowl season and the second-most attended inaugural bowl game in NCAA history. Virginia defeated West Virginia University 48-22 in a matchup of the #2 team from the ACC against the #2 team from the Big East. The game was completely sold out within one week of announcing the teams. It is believed to be the fastest sellout of a first year bowl game in the history of the sport.

The second-annual Continental Tire Bowl took hold of Charlotte as over 52,000 fans descended on the city. Virginia successfully defended its Continental Tire Bowl crown with a 23-16 victory over the Panthers. And with a 2.23 rating on ESPN2, the Bowl earned the distinction of becoming the most viewed program in ESPN2 history with over 2 million viewers.

In 2004, the third annual Continental Tire Bowl saw Boston College defeat North Carolina, 37-24. The game was a sellout, with 73,238 tickets snatched up for the game, including over 65,000 by North Carolina fans. This marked the first Carolinas-based university to participate in the game. At the same time, the game offered a preview of an expanded Atlantic Coast Conference, as BC will join the conference in 2005. In a Visitor Impact Study by Visit Charlotte, the 2004 game resulted in a total economic impact of $22,967,188 on Mecklenburg County.

On Tueday, January 11, 2005, Raycom Sports announced that Meineke Car Care Centers had agreed to become the new title sponsor of the bowl, renamed the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

need to retract the statement about the bowl attendence..it is ranked 3rd behind bcs bowls in attendence..whether u believe it or not

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Scott Rhymer: What’s New Is Old

Oct 20, 2006, 9:51 PM

www.meinkecarcarebowl.com or raycomsports.com

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most Hyped Game

Oct 21, 2006, 4:48 AM

I'd like to defend some of my younger friends here too. I graduated in Dec. of 2003, and still have many friends there in Clemson. I attended the 1999 FSU game, the first "Bowden Bowl," and even though I had been a die hard Clemson fan from birth and attended many games in my life, none of them compared to that one. And honestly, throughout my time at Clemson, none matched it. Even at 8-0 with GT coming in to town, the hype didn't match it.

So with that said, understand that most of the students in Clemson now have never seen a game this hyped. Except for the ones, like myself, who were aware of Clemson football for years before they came to Clemson, they did not know Clemson could attract this much attention.

It's not just the students either. I'm sure we've acquired quite a number of new fans in the last 7 years, which is how far you have to go back to find a game that garnered this much national attention.

What the heck does that mean? "Proctor has his eyes locked"***

Oct 21, 2006, 8:04 AM

Whatever it means, it must be good.

Oct 21, 2006, 8:34 AM

Unless he gets picked because of it.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,800
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic