Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You house coots might not admit it but that game was
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

You house coots might not admit it but that game was

Dec 4, 2013, 10:41 AM

closer than the score indicates but would haves and should haves don’t equal wins and we’re licking our wounds for another year.

However, tied at 17 Willy B seemed fairly quiet and concerned.

The Tigers lost because the coots made fewer mistakes, not because the coots physically beat them. If you go back and look at the trenches, I think the Tigers DL and OL won more of the individual battles.

Except for Boyd rolling into the pass rush for a sack, the DooDoo clown was pretty much neutralized. Surely not the great Heisman King that ESecPN promoted all summer. The coot DL was controlled and could not stop Hot Rod.

The biggest mistakes of the game by the Tigers (in order of severity):

1. Chad's play calling on the first drive trying to be cute with Sammy throwing an int. The Tigers were driving for a TD (using ball control).

2. Bryant causing the muffed punt.

3. Tahj’s fumble. {While Boyd has set all kinds of records, he's always been a high risk for turnovers at the most inopportune times.}

4. Humphries fumble on the punt return. {We definitely need a punt and KO returner (neither Sammy nor Humphries has the quickness to return the ball). Sammy has the speed but not the quickness needed in close quarters.}

Take those away and this game is a W for the Tigers. That is what frustrates me the most; it was within reach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now that's some good stuff there....along the same lines...

Dec 4, 2013, 10:43 AM

if FSU would have gotten massive food poison right before our game, we'd be playing in the ACCCG...

its all about perspective

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Do you think we were physically beaten?***

Dec 4, 2013, 10:46 AM

does it matter?***

Dec 4, 2013, 10:47 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Yes. We've got to be tougher. That toughness has been the

Dec 4, 2013, 10:50 AM

biggest difference in past years. This year it was mistakes. Granted the coots took advantage of those mistakes and won the game.

But at the end of the night, it was not because they were more physical. It's even more embarrassing to get physically beat.

You originally implied we almost won... now you are saying

Dec 4, 2013, 10:53 AM

we were physically beaten... which is it?

It doesn't matter how we were beaten... thus the definition of "beaten"...

but yes, we were physcially beaten

We didn't "almost win"; however we corrected the

Dec 4, 2013, 11:25 AM

one single thing that got us beat the previous 4 years and for that reason we were tied and in position to win the game in the 4th quarter. I don't believe we were physically beaten this time.

Personally, I think that's significant and worth noting, even if it doesn't change a ### thing or make anybody feel one bit better about losing 5 in a row - that's not the point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I disagree a little... I think the biggest thing latelyl has

Dec 4, 2013, 11:29 AM

been our pitiful third down defense

I don't disagree with that disagreement. ;-)

Dec 4, 2013, 12:03 PM

I think our weakest link again this year was our secondary. They were better all the way around, but still struggled at times in man coverage and were vulnerable on 3rd and long. Also, I still think we are a bit lacking at LB. I love Shuey and he has been really solid, and Anthony has really started to come into his own, but we still do not have the LB play we need across the board. Different coordinators and different position coaches have improved things overall quite a bit, but a talent issue still is evident at times in those areas, IMHO.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I think we were physically, mentally, psychologically and

Dec 4, 2013, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Do you think we were physically beaten?*** ]

possibly spiritually beaten.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No Frank, not spiritually. Not with Dabo

Dec 4, 2013, 12:28 PM

He is a good Christian man, very spiritual.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

I take very little solace in that! You need help!***

Dec 4, 2013, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Now that's some good stuff there....along the same lines... ]

Re: You house coots might not admit it but that game was

Dec 4, 2013, 10:45 AM

whatever makes you feel better at night. But you did not win the line of scrimmage. You had 2 sacks to our 5. All you did was stack the box and stuffed our run game. You picked your poison and Shaw ran all over your butts. We ran a ball control offense to pick up 3rd downs and keep drives moving. Its not like we opened up the play book for you guys.

Dec 4, 2013, 10:45 AM

What if scar makes that 4th and 1 instead of missing the sneak.

What if the referee doesn't tackle Shaq Roland

What if Connor doesnt miss Bruce wide open in the endzone.

What if What if What if.

When the game was tied 17-17, Clemson had only 2 TO's at that point. Scar answered back, leading 24-17 with still only 2 turnovers to that point.

Dec 4, 2013, 10:47 AM

What if you go back to FGF? What if I hit the ignore button....

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2013, 10:49 AM

If they are coots, they have nothing of value to add. Best to just hit the ignore button.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What did he say that was wrong? He countered with their

Dec 4, 2013, 2:04 PM

what if moments?

So we can play the "what if" game and they can't?

Some of you people need to grow up and try to be logical and level headed.

they beat us. PERIOD. both teams can play the what if game but none of that matters, because at the end of the day a win is a win and a loss is a loss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: What did he say that was wrong? He countered with their

Dec 5, 2013, 12:23 AM

What did I say that was wrong and raised your ire? I think it is better just to hit the ignore button. I don't care to engage in a conversation on this board with them. I never have seen anything on this board or anywhere else that indicates I should, but you may have a differing opinion. If you like reading what they write, then have at it. I just see immature post intended to inflame and of very little substance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only people who want to say "Clemson almost won" are

Dec 4, 2013, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: You house coots might not admit it but that game was ]

those that can't do math

the worst thing about it...

Dec 4, 2013, 10:58 AM

in each of the last five losses, there hasn't been anything "almost" about any of them. None of them have been close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

absolutely agree***

Dec 4, 2013, 11:01 AM

I find it funny that a coot has a user name "learn to read"***

Dec 4, 2013, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: You house coots might not admit it but that game was ]

they beat us plain and simple...

Dec 4, 2013, 10:46 AM

they executed. We didn't.

There are NO excuses.

yes only coots make excuses***

Dec 4, 2013, 11:52 AM

I wouldn't call Tajh's fumble a mistake by him.

Dec 4, 2013, 10:59 AM

Maybe he left the ball a little unprotected, but it was just ripped from his hands. It's not like he dropped it, he was just trying to make a play.

I actually thought Tajh played pretty well...

Dec 4, 2013, 11:02 AM

I do think there was a change in his demeanor after that fumble and I do think he was pressing on the two interceptions at the end of the game, but I can understand those.

The thing I liked about Boyd is he looked loose IMO. The last two years he's been wrapped tighter than a drum.

Re: I wouldn't call Tajh's fumble a mistake by him.

Dec 4, 2013, 11:10 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't call Tajh's fumble a mistake by him. ]

it was taken from him. when was the last time you saw a ball taken away from a guy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More than once this season. I consider that a good play by

Dec 4, 2013, 11:49 AM

the defender and not a bad play by the quarterback. Especially since Tajh was trying to make a play. Now if it had been taken from him behind the line of scrimmage when he should have just covered up and went down, that would be his mistake.

As the old saying goes....

Dec 4, 2013, 11:00 AM

Were "ifs" and "buts" candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I pretty much agree - we were not physically whipped

Dec 4, 2013, 11:14 AM

and man-handled like we were the previous 4 years. Our game plan over all was good and play calling for the most part and in spite of some bad play calls along the way, was good enough to get us the win.

It was the fumbles and INTs that beat us - it's that simple.

Why does it matter? We still lost either way, but hey, that's what we do on here - it's a Clemson football forum. It matters to the extent that Clemson football matters and understanding why we win and why we lose matters. We talk about the games and discuss and analyze and debate. That's what we're here for.

- H. L. Mencken

Dec 4, 2013, 11:16 AM

it was all tied going into the 4th, but the Coots were driving to score at the beginning of the quarter. we had our chances but we were never in control. we improved on a lot of things from 2012, but we weren't perfect. Tajh got sacked 5 times. it caused him to focus only on his primary receiver. it's also why he threw the INTs because we didn't have the threat of run at that point. playing mistake free football is a big separator in winning and losing, and the Coots did it.

Dec 4, 2013, 11:23 AM

Clemson never had the lead in the game. They were playing from behind the whole time. The turnovers did not lose the game it just did not allow you to get back into the game.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 4, 2013, 11:31 AM

We lost. Again.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2013, 11:33 AM

The Tigers lost because the coots made fewer mistakes, not because the coots physically beat them. If you go back and look at the trenches, I think the Tigers DL and OL won more of the individual battles

All depends on the viewpoint in which you look at it. If you consider the number of times Connor Shaw ran and picked up crucial 1st downs, or made big yardage when "Called" QB draws were executed...OR, the number of times Boyd was sacked and/or pressured out of the pocket and forced to run.... I'd say the game in the trenches was about even.

Except for Boyd rolling into the pass rush for a sack, the DooDoo clown was pretty much neutralized. Surely not the great Heisman King that ESecPN promoted all summer

Again, it all depends on the view point. I just pulled up the replay of the sack again to make perfectly sure he DIDN'T roll into the pass rush, and what I saw was him getting sacked while still between the tackles. Clowney whipped the two guys you had blocking him and Boyd had no where to throw the football. Clowney had made his way through the two blockers and Boyd moved to his left to try to avoid the inevitable. ... You should also pull up the clips of where he Clowney fought off the blocker and dropped McDowell in the backfield, as well as the play where JD leveled Boyd right as he tried to go deep downfield and the ball fluttered and died on the turf. The majority of the game, you made sure to run away from him rather than to his side the way every other team did against him this season. .. NO he wasn't the Superhuman DE that ESPN hyped him as, BUT...he caused every team we played this season to run 80-90% of the plays away from him (basically forcing our opponents to play on half a field), and forced our opponents to put two blockers on him 80-90% of the time, drastically altering their normal style of play. He forces changes to offensive game plans in spite of not being Superman.

The entire point of the post can be used by any team in a majority of games to say "we were better BUT, we lost because of (whatever)". It's all part of football. Somedays you win games you should have lost, and some days you lose games you should rightfully have won. FOR WHATEVER REASON. You say we won it basically because SC had "FEWER" mistakes than Clemson ?!?..Try None. Our team played the last four games in a row without a single turnover. Luck ? / Discipline ? / Coaching ?. Again, all in the view point of the individual. All boils down to one thing. Another win. Or in your case, another loss.

Dec 4, 2013, 11:34 AM

They beat us and it stinks and I'm not happy about it.

That is great that it was 17-17. The final score is what matters and it didn't go our way and it hasn't for 5 years.

Dec 4, 2013, 11:38 AM

But, we had two possessions at the end of the game deep in Tiger territory and we chose to work the clock rather than run up the score. So it could have been worse.

I don't disagree with the OP

Dec 4, 2013, 12:31 PM

I'm just not sure he's being objective with that analysis.

Would he agree the 2011 game's score didn't reflect how dominant Carolina was that night?

YEp..this loss different than other 4, but did show some +'s

Dec 4, 2013, 1:40 PM

like: Better line play on both sides
like: Better D overall
like: Better running, if by only one man.
like: Being tied in the 4th, not behind.
like: Having more overall yards.
like: ?

Dang..stil a loss..and by 7 more pts. than last time.

GoTiGERS..keep practicing & getting better bOys!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: YEp..this loss different than other 4, but did show some +'s

Dec 4, 2013, 2:50 PM

> like: Better line play on both sides
> like: Better D overall
> like: Better running, if by only one man.
> like: Being tied in the 4th, not behind.
> like: Having more overall yards.
> like: ?
>
> Dang..stil a loss..and by 7 more pts. than last
> time.
>
> GoTiGERS..keep practicing & getting better bOys!

4 more.

it was a close game

Dec 4, 2013, 6:07 PM

Until the second turnover on the punt return. I felt we had it in the bag after that

Oh please, can we move on***

Dec 4, 2013, 8:37 PM

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic