Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dems and Pubs and the SCOTUS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Dems and Pubs and the SCOTUS

Sep 22, 2020, 10:40 AM

Both parties are failing to think long-term about filling Ginsburg's seat. If the Pubs manage to fill the seat before the election, then it's off the table as an election motivator. Some people who otherwise won't bother voting might show up just to help the "right" person become the next Justice. Not sure which party that affects more.

On the other hand, if we get a new Justice before the election, the resulting 6-3 conservative bench is a motivator primarily for more liberal voters who will be more likely to vote to try to reverse the trend.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

None of that should matter.

Sep 22, 2020, 10:43 AM

There's an open seat. The President should nominate someone as soon as he has someone to nominate. The Senate should advise and consent at the earliest available time.

Party doesn't matter, election doesn't matter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In a perfect world.***

Sep 22, 2020, 10:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Governing Constitutionally doesn't require perfection.

Sep 22, 2020, 10:46 AM

It's a simple thing, really.

Where did you find the "as soon as possible" clause?***

Sep 22, 2020, 3:30 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not legislated....

Sep 23, 2020, 7:07 AM

that's just how people, especially leaders, should operate. Everything important should be done with as little delay as possible. It's implicit, when given a responsibility/duty, that the expectation is to not procrastinate on that duty. That's lessons from kindergarten.

Prod, if that's your point of view,

Sep 22, 2020, 5:32 PM [ in reply to None of that should matter. ]

then how come this was what you were thinking 4 years ago?

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Can-Obama-withdraw-the-nomination-if-Clinton-wins-19391327

I can't read it.***

Sep 23, 2020, 7:08 AM

Re: I can't read it.***

Sep 23, 2020, 7:40 AM

Back in 2016 you said that Republicans had "nothing to lose" by waiting until the election to confirm a new Justice. Back then you were fine discussing those sorts of tactics rather than insisting that tactics like that are inappropriate.

I'm still shady on the context...

Sep 23, 2020, 7:58 AM

But I stand by what I said yesterday, and if I said something 2016 that contradicted it, then I was wrong in 2016.

Re: I'm still shady on the context...

Sep 23, 2020, 9:59 AM

Jeez Prod, where's your R? Pony up a few bucks for the people who make this board possible. Don't make me start a Prod charity. ;)

Cost benefit: Filling the seat now

Sep 22, 2020, 10:43 AM

demotivates some Trump supporters and motivates the hell out of dems.

Waiting to fill the seat motivates the hell out of both.

If I'm Trump I'm sending in my pick immediately.

If I'm a pub in the Senate I start the process in October and let the dems go fool right at the election.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Dems and Pubs and the SCOTUS

Sep 22, 2020, 10:47 AM

Trump will put forth a person for the open justice spot and the senate will vote to accept that nominee. That is happening you can count on it.

Dems have said they won't concede when Trump wins.

Sep 22, 2020, 6:35 PM

You don't want an even number of SCOTUS justices that could deadlock 4-4 in the face of the Bush v Gore dimpled chads on steroids BS that will surround counting disqualified mail-in ballots. You want to resolve the issue rather than letting it go on and on and on.

Although with Ginsburg gone, the most reliable liberal vote regardless of the Constitution, it should produce 5-3 votes but obviously the blackmail dirt the Left has on Chief Justice Roberts makes him an unreliable vote.

Don't take the chance. Get the bench back up to 9.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 22, 2020, 10:50 AM

The only thing ramming through a justice now will do is guarantee expansion of the court when you have Biden in the oval and a Dem senate.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Someone needs to be the adult in the room

Sep 22, 2020, 10:52 AM

And govern for the people, not for retaliation.

Dems have been promising to do that since Kavanaugh.

Sep 22, 2020, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Dems and Pubs and the SCOTUS ]

What part of 'We don't care that you hold your breath,' don't you get?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dems have been promising to do that since Kavanaugh.

Sep 22, 2020, 3:48 PM

May as well ram this through then despite the hypocrisy exhibited by Pub senate leadership. It's better that the majority of Americans see for themselves what the GOP has degraded into under the reign of DJT and the levels it will stoop to along the way. And should the election somehow come down to a Supreme Court decision at some point and the numbers align with these recent appointments, I'd be in favor of burning the mother down and starting over, cause we've all lost regardless.

DJT is applying the destroy America from within Putin playbook to a tee. Unbelievable that so many are marching along in glee.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly what are you going to lose by justices

Sep 22, 2020, 7:48 PM

Rarely do judges and justices not become more "liberal" in

Sep 22, 2020, 9:51 PM

their views and interpretations of the constitution, precedence, and justice during the tenure of their careers, though 'conservative" and "liberal" have become so interchanged now regardless of party or thought that they're practically meaningless today as an identity for one side or another.

The only terrible Supremes decision I've experienced along the way was the campaign finance reform bill, the ruling that equated money spent to free speech in terms of campaign contribution limits. Hi Ho the Merry-O. It's going to require a constitutional amendment now to limit corporate and oligarchical funding of presidential campaigns.

This is more a matter of principle, an adherence to precedence, and not further wedging America, me and you, all of us.

It's also about courage. Why do these judges get more liberal? Because they age and experience and learn and read and put things into great context because at the end of the day most of these candidates are all smart as whips, but during time in office with the safety of non-removal the politics of entry give way to the spirit of the law.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What'll really be funny is if Trump loses the election and

Sep 22, 2020, 10:52 AM

Justice Thomas immediately resigns, allowing Trump another appointment on his way out the door.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Breyer, Thomas and...

Sep 23, 2020, 3:34 PM

Alito retired after Trump was reelected?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is Murica. Long term? What's that?

Sep 22, 2020, 2:57 PM

I think that's defined by Americans as the length of time until it's important, again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You left off some important considerations.

Sep 22, 2020, 3:10 PM

Trump/pubs are playing conservative politics. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Whether or not Trump wins, activism on the court will die at the ripe old age of 48.

You are also failing to consider one issue voters. Republicans dominate that category and it just so happens that our one issue is the SCOTUS. The vote is unlikely to take place before the election which leaves pubs highly motivated to vote. Many of the never trumpers will rethink their position on a choice for president during the coming weeks.

You wish this would energize the left. All it's doing is making the loudest voices of your party louder and causing your party to threaten to stack the courts. That works against your hope to take the white house and senate. It may cause you to lose the house.

Sep 22, 2020, 3:12 PM

Either party rarely thinks the long game. They make impulsive decisions to secure power now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

You have to score when you're in the redzone.

Sep 23, 2020, 3:50 PM

There's no long game to it on seating a justice now. Put the points on the board, play defense and play offense when you have the ball. Mitch has the ball right now. That's all it comes down to. If you have the power exercise it.

It's as if the left doesn't think the right will play dirty or something. Electing Trump should have made that clear.

Sep 22, 2020, 5:35 PM

a bird in the hand is worth two in the

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2020, 5:47 PM

On another Note, we are entering a period of transformational, generational change in this country and we will be mired in 6-3 votes for the next 30 years. I just don't get why 80 year olds are so concerned with who takes the bench, they will be dead. Their children and grandchildren will have to suffer.

I say let the Voters decide.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2020, 7:13 PM

The voters decided when they elected Trump.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic