Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You guys want to see the type of facility we recruit against
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

You guys want to see the type of facility we recruit against

Jan 6, 2013, 8:02 PM

Check out John Paul Jones Arena on ESPNU right now. Place is ridiculous.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very Nice***

Jan 6, 2013, 8:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You guys want to see the type of facility we recruit against

Jan 6, 2013, 8:23 PM

So?

Jan 6, 2013, 8:30 PM

What do you mean so? How do you not understand this concept. We recruit against these guys. A program that is not even middle of the pack in the ACC. Don't ##### about winning if your not willing to get competitive with facilities.

So.

Wow, that's impressive. They should be better.***

Jan 6, 2013, 8:24 PM

Re: Wow, that's impressive. They should be better.***

Jan 6, 2013, 8:33 PM

They had one of their best recruiting classes in over a decade last season and they have started strong this season as well.

If I was UVA I would focus on basketball too.***

Jan 6, 2013, 8:25 PM

Re: If I was UVA I would focus on basketball too.***

Jan 6, 2013, 8:28 PM

No lie. Their football fan support sucks something fierce.

As does our basketball support.***

Jan 6, 2013, 8:57 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is a MAJOR travesty how Clemson 'cheaped out' on LJ reno

Jan 6, 2013, 8:33 PM

There was a opportunity to make a big difference in the future of Tiger basketball. IDK who was at fault: IPTAY, BOT, TDP or Barker, but it was pathetic. The quote of "polishing up a turd" comes to mind on the decision making process. The site of LJ is perfect for a basketball venue & the land between Jervey, DK & Hwy. 93 would make a great spot for a practice facility.

Re: It is a MAJOR travesty how Clemson 'cheaped out' on LJ reno

Jan 6, 2013, 8:36 PM

Couldn't agree more Mac. LJ renovations in 2002 should have never happened. Complete waste of money.

I guess what you have to do now is stay on track with the practice facility. Finish that and start fundraising for a new arena.

I was certainly disappointed with what they did with

Jan 6, 2013, 8:36 PM [ in reply to It is a MAJOR travesty how Clemson 'cheaped out' on LJ reno ]

Littlejohn. They had a chance to do big things and enter into the modern era when it comes to basketball facilities. They failed miserably imo.

That was all BR glad he left.... TDP came in and cleaned

Jan 6, 2013, 9:20 PM [ in reply to It is a MAJOR travesty how Clemson 'cheaped out' on LJ reno ]

up the mess he was about to make with the football upgrades. He wanted to put what the built at the Westend zone behind DKS. He was the cheapest AD in the world no vision and very little insight. y

Jan 6, 2013, 8:34 PM

Yeah, but we have a new indoor football facility.

UVA is almost finished with their Indoor Football facility as well.

;)

Watched Clemson bball for forty years..nothing has changed. Coaches come and go and nothing changes....it's time it did.

(1) We need a new facility asap...(2) we need something to get our fan base energized. How can we get more people to commit to attendance support? What can we do as a fan base to support the basketball team? What would Clemson accomplish if LJ was full every time out? We've tried for forty years to support them but only when the team gives us something to support...that hasn't worked. Every coach coming in has fought the same uphill battle. Can we as a fan base eliminate that liability...can we make a difference? I believe we can...how do me make that happen?

Jan 6, 2013, 8:39 PM

It all starts with a new smaller, modern facility. You have to put forward the money into facilities in order to attract and retain top coaches and players. You don't have to spend 100 million dollars on a basketball arena.

Jan 6, 2013, 8:43 PM

Exacly, you beat me to it. Haha I totally agree with you though.

Jan 6, 2013, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: You guys want to see the type of facility we recruit against ]

Honestly, when the time does come to build a new arena (down the road a bit I realize), I'd be all for building a smaller arena than littlejohn. LJ is NEVER full unless we're playing Duke or UNC on a weekend. Why not make it smaller, louder, and more intimate? Cameron is infamous to opposing teams for a reason.

Jan 6, 2013, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: You guys want to see the type of facility we recruit against ]

Build a huge areana for the pathetic crowd that shows up ? I personally dont think from a financial point that it would be advisable...

Jan 6, 2013, 8:50 PM

Orangecrush,

Your reading comprehension is downright terrible. Nowhere in this thread did anyone say anything about expanding. In fact we said the opposite.

A modern facility, 8000 seat capacity, with some box seats you could sell to make some extra money would be perfectly fine.

Jan 6, 2013, 8:55 PM

I agree with this facility idea..but we have to develop a way to get butts in the seats..there has to be some committed fans to set the tone for this support.

Jan 6, 2013, 9:00 PM

It all starts with facilities. You cannot lie to potential coaching hires and recruits about your commitment to the program when it is right in front of their faces.

You build the facility, you get the good coaches, you get the good coaches you get the good players, you get the good players you win, you win and fans want to come see you play

You can't just beg people to come to the box with rusted beams. You can't just beg recruits to share a freakishly small practice court with the women's team at the same time when they look down the road and see UVA, Louisville, UNC, Pitt and on and on.

This model has been proven time and time again.

Jan 6, 2013, 9:17 PM

I'm right there with you on building the facility..that's a first we have to have to show commitment...but facilities alone aren't gonna get it done at Clemson.

Our fans have to step up also. But the question is, outside of a new facility and it's hoped domino effect, what else can we do?

Establish a reward program for students to attend games,

Jan 6, 2013, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: You guys want to see the type of facility we recruit against ]

such as giving out points on student accounts that allow loyal students premium seats at prime games regardless of the sport and regardless of the student's class. Instead of lotteries or waiting in lines to get tickets to big games, or class seniority, those students that support the various teams, especially those lesser attractive match-ups, on a more consistent basis should be rewarded.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Led Zeppelin's bass player went to UVA?***

Jan 6, 2013, 8:40 PM

LOL***

Jan 6, 2013, 8:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at my local HS gym

Jan 6, 2013, 9:04 PM
Prosper Gym.jpg(32.9 K)

Pretty bad when a High School has a better indoor football practice facility and a top of the line gym with video boards. We have to step things up to get some top recruits, Virginia has for sure.

This is Prosper High School in Texas

Re: Look at my local HS gym

Jan 6, 2013, 9:23 PM

Yep. Pretty sad.

Re: Re: You guys want to see the type of facility we recruit against

Jan 6, 2013, 9:08 PM

Football is the only thing that matters.

Re: Re: You guys want to see the type of facility we recruit against

Jan 6, 2013, 9:27 PM

Most definitely. Football is always the priority. However you have to look at this like a business. If your athletic programs are doing good you are bringing in more money. If you throw basketball a bone and they happen to be mediocre then you have more money going into the pot

Right now.....football, basketball, and baseball throw money into the pot. Basketball could EASILY be throwing a larger chunk into the pot. We play in the ACC for crying out loud.

Then what you do is take 70 percent of that money and put it into football. 30 percent of the that money will go toward basketball and baseball improvements.

crap example but do you get my point.

Re:Stroke a big check and we will get on with it.***

Jan 7, 2013, 7:57 PM

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic