Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In a very inconsistent college football world
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 3,655

In a very inconsistent college football world

Oct 9, 2016, 12:53 AM

there has been two truly consistent programs over the past couple of years.

Clemson and Alabama.

Other teams have had their moments, had easy schedules that the media said was tough, however, truly weren't.

Stanford has been a close third but no other teams have taken care of business like our Tigers and the Tide over the past 2 seasons.

3 years ago we were young and had some injury setbacks but still found a way to pull through, with only dropping 2 games that year.

We have now entered the elite era at Clemson.

Thank you Coach Swinney!

Enjoy the ride brothers and sisters.

Go Tigers!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ohio State says hi

Oct 9, 2016, 1:05 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That team we punked in the Orange Bowl

Oct 9, 2016, 1:14 AM

and snuck into the playoffs after losing to a terrible VT team at home? The same team that plays nobody all year?

Nah, I don't consider them on the same level.

They won a Natty just 2 years ago...

Oct 9, 2016, 1:21 AM

Yet they arent on our level? Come on now...

Like I said, they snuck in the back door with

Oct 9, 2016, 1:32 AM

a popular (media) vote. That is how they got the opportunity. I do not feel they truly deserved to be there (lost to a terrible VT team) but did make the most of their chance. They had the luxury of a very down B1G at the time.

Ohio St got TCU's spot that year, because of home cooking versus Baylor and no championship game for the Big 12.

They are one of a few that I was referring to in my original post (easy schedule/media said). Oklahoma is another.

Look for Michigan to take care of them moving forward.

Michigan is headed towards being consistent, as is Washington, imo.

You do know once they got in they still had to play 2 very

Oct 9, 2016, 3:32 AM

big games and they got a nice trophy after them too? The only thing that shows here is not that Ohio St isn't consistent, but you just don't like them.

I just don't care for the over inflation of their program.

Oct 9, 2016, 5:21 AM

They have played no one outside of the B1G during the regular season under the Urban Legend and the B1G was just them until this season, with the exception of Michigan St 3 season's ago.

Iowa played no one last season until the met Bama and their game result against Bama proved that.

I have always respected Wisconsin, but they have not been world beaters outside of the B1G.

Michigan had not been historic self since App St beat them in the Big House.

Penn St has had the one good season since the early 90's in more recent memory. The year that they played FSU in the Orange Bowl. I felt they should have payed Texas for the National Championship that year, not the Texas versus USC matchup that we got.

Sorry, that conference has been a bunch of media hot air for a long long time and that is how I am calling it.

Our game with U of L looked like 2 legit top 5 teams, not two default top 5 teams.

Re: I just don't care for the over inflation of their program.

Oct 9, 2016, 8:42 AM

Iowa didn't play Alabama last year. Ohio State has been and is a very good team with talented players and a great coach. Just admit it.

Re: I just don't care for the over inflation of their program.

Oct 9, 2016, 11:35 AM

Mich St...Iowa lost to Sparty and Sparty got delt with...woke up in the middle of the night and posted...my error.

I despise Ohio State as much as anyone. I hate that

Oct 9, 2016, 9:20 AM [ in reply to I just don't care for the over inflation of their program. ]

team, their coaches and especially their jersey and nut necklace wearing fans. But to say they're not on a level of consistency as we are is really ignorant. And they don't play anyone? Didn't they just beat Oklahoma, at Oklahoma? You say their conference is a bunch of media hot air, but compared to the ACC over the last decade they've been better.

And this year, if Ohio State goes undefeated they will have won at Oklahoma, at Wisconsin, Nebraska at home and Michigan at home. Plus the B1GCG, which could be a Nebraska rematch. Compare that to our schedule of Louisville, FSU and either Miami or VT in ACCCG. Their schedule as of today looks far more difficult than ours.

You can make up things like the over-inflation of their program in your dream world, but how many national championships and Heismans have they won? They're one of the top programs of all time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I despise Ohio State as much as anyone. I hate that

Oct 9, 2016, 11:38 AM

I said in years past they essentially have played no one.

The B1G has improved recently.

And congrats on them actually scheduling a decent team since Troy Smith was their QB and they played Texas. OU is perennially over hyped, btw.

Re: I despise Ohio State as much as anyone. I hate that

Oct 9, 2016, 12:19 PM [ in reply to I despise Ohio State as much as anyone. I hate that ]

> team, their coaches and especially their jersey and
> nut necklace wearing fans. But to say they're not on
> a level of consistency as we are is really ignorant.
> And they don't play anyone? Didn't they just beat
> t Oklahoma, at Oklahoma? You say their conference is
> a bunch of media hot air, but compared to the ACC
> over the last decade they've been better.

Disagree completely. Except for Ohio State, the Big 10 has been an absolute wasteland lately. Michigan State has easily been their second-best program, Wisconsin their #3, over the last 10 years, and those two programs both recruit almost entirely 3-star-or-less talent.

Michigan recruits much higher, but none of their coaches prior to Harbaugh could win with what they had. Penn State was a historical power program...that has experienced some historical lows over the last decade. They've never been a fit in the B1G. You can say much the same about Nebraska.

There is still an epic amount of dead weight in the Big 10. Maryland has been absolutely putrid since departing the ACC; Louisville was a massive upgrade over the Terps. Indiana is worse than Wake Forest at football. In the West - my word. Minnesota. Illinois. Northwestern. Purdue. Even teams like Iowa - who recruit substantially worse talent - and have less fan support - than NC State (check the rankings if you don't believe it) - have been able to make BCS or near-playoff runs lately because the competition is so putrid. The Hawkeyes got to the Rose Bowl last year...and got laid out 45-16 by Stanford. The year before that they got crushed by Tennessee in the "Taxslayer Bowl", whatever that is.

Right now Michigan has played absolutely no one. Not one - zero - of their opponents from this season will be ranked tomorrow. Colorado was - and Colorado was running up and down the field on them before their starting QB got hurt and his backup went 0 for 7 - but they've gotten to 6-0 against a schedule that only Baylor could not look down at. Ohio State has played only Oklahoma (who is 4-2) among their ranked opponents. Oklahoma barely squeaked by Texas and TCU the last two weeks, and gave up 86 combined points in those two victories. Granted, the Sooners scored 97 points...but considering they've scored 23 points total the last two games they played against Clemson, I think we can safely assert they wouldn't do nearly as well against an actual defense. (Houston and OSU can likewise confirm this.)

Alabama and Clemson have definitively proven themselves thus far. Ohio State and Michigan assuredly have not.

Just to circle back and see if you were right or not

Oct 10, 2016, 1:03 PM

I looked at the AP top 25 just released and see Wisconsin is at #8.

Care to retract this statement?: "Right now Michigan has played absolutely no one. Not one - zero - of their opponents from this season will be ranked tomorrow."

You were so definitive and sure of yourself too quozzel

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

If you talk about consistency...

Oct 9, 2016, 1:47 AM [ in reply to That team we punked in the Orange Bowl ]

Ohio State is definitely one consistent program. Rarely dropped out of a 10-win season.

If you point out a loss here and there, they can definitely point to our Orange Bowl loss to West Virginia too.

Also, they had a national title not too long ago. Something that we can't claim.

Re: That team we punked in the Orange Bowl

Oct 9, 2016, 3:19 AM [ in reply to That team we punked in the Orange Bowl ]

You sound ridiculous lol. Ohio State is a top 3 program in college football.

They weren't last year, won't be this year and

Oct 9, 2016, 5:25 AM

only was 3 years ago because the Big 12 did not have a championship game, which brings us to that year that we beat them in the Orange Bowl.

Do I need to go back another year? You know, the year they went undefeated and were not allowed to play in the post season for cheating to get what they had before Urban got there?

Ohio State easily on that level and our Orange Bowl win was

Oct 9, 2016, 8:35 AM [ in reply to That team we punked in the Orange Bowl ]

a back and forth thriller.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ohio State easily on that level and our Orange Bowl win was

Oct 9, 2016, 12:01 PM

No matter the metric, Ohio State is a blue blood. I am no buckeye fan but not recognizing the long run of success at Ohio State is silly.

I am not saying they are garbage.

Oct 9, 2016, 12:21 PM

What I am saying is they are not Bama and are below us as well.

They have a shot every year but it isn't what it is made out to be.

I would love to have them and a few others take the ACC challenge. By that I mean put them in our "pathetic" conference and see how they fair.

My money is on them getting exposed, not quite to the level of what happened to Miami, VT and most recently ND, but I am sure they would get exposed to a degree, nonetheless.

Re: Ohio State says hi

Oct 9, 2016, 5:55 AM [ in reply to Ohio State says hi ]

"Ohio State says hi"

This has GOT to be the most overused type of statement on the Internet. "Troy says hi." "Ohio State says hi". "Blah blah says hi". No substance. New material please.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only program that can claim...

Oct 9, 2016, 1:52 AM

they have longer consecutive 10-win seasons than we do is Alabama. But I don't think we can just say that no other program is consistent. Sure, Clemson looks very very good in the past few years, but I guess it's all in one's perspective of viewing a consistency of a program.

We'll have to continue the domination (which I think we will) for a few more years to be up there as elite status. We are close. In an ESPN article earlier this year, we are not as "blue blood" as many programs just yet. Under Dabo, I'm sure we'll get there.

Re: The only program that can claim...

Oct 9, 2016, 5:58 AM

Blue Bloods. Most are self proclaimed. Exactly how is "blue blood" status achieved? National Championships? 10-win seasons? Conference championships? How far back do you have to go with success before the label "blue blood" get attached.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can send ESPN an email to ask.

Oct 9, 2016, 9:24 AM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17336754/alabama-crimson-tide-notre-dame-fighting-irish-ohio-state-buckeyes-oklahoma-sooners-usc-trojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

I bet you'd say that you don't care what they think, but the truth is it's how the others perceive football programs and, when it's national media like ESPN, it's gonna have influence to readers.

It does.

Oct 9, 2016, 11:44 AM

However, it don't take the most critical thinker to know their B$ is old news.

I see we have the usual suspects in the article photo. Nice to see Nebraska has made something since Osborne quit coaching them.

And that is my point. We are talking the more recent now (BCS/Playoff), not historic.

I did not read their spin, btw.

oregon has been very consistent for a decade

Oct 9, 2016, 1:12 PM

Up until this year. This is their first down year in forever. They never won the big one but hey neither have we

They have never quite had the D to win the big one.

Oct 9, 2016, 1:25 PM

They are my west coast team, since 1991. One of my best friends is from Eugene and has season tickets. He has already started talking basketball and has the Dodgers to get him to bball season. lol. He despises Harbuagh for messing his 49ers up. Told me last night all this in one big slur. ha-ha

Uh... 1981!***

Oct 10, 2016, 3:02 PM [ in reply to oregon has been very consistent for a decade ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 3,655
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic